HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Christensen re-signs (2yrs @ 925k per), Shelley signs with PHI (3yrs @ 1.1M per)

Old
06-30-2010, 12:26 AM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Even though this is no Savard thread, remind me again why we'd want him?

Player leaving his prime years (age wise), recently signed a large 7-year contract...not going to be cost-efficient.....

Why? Because we need a number one center? Eh. Savard would be equally as worse of a transaction as Gomez/Drury/Redden.

It'd be another case of urgency in a stupid manner, where the thought process here is similar to Redden's: we NEED a number one center. Just like we NEEDED offensive prowess on the back end. It worked out well before.

You need a number one center? Good, draft him or let him develop. [b]We have players that can fit that bill.[/b[

Younger is the key. Torts knows it. Smart fans know it. We don't need more 30 and over players unless the deal is completely in our favor.
Savard's cap hit is only $4mil per. He also makes 525K in the final two years of his deal, making him easy to buyout/trade. He's the definition of great value.

The problem with trading Savard is not his contract or his age. It's his concussion history and giving up assets that are the problem. Well, and that he has to approve a trade.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:27 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
wow. Christensen could potentially have Gaborik on his side the whole year. Take a one year deal and THEN hit UFA status.
No he couldn't. That's why he declined the Rangers offer.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:03 AM
frozenrubber

*REMEMBER*: Voros and Rissmiller both got 3 yr/1 million dollar deals 2 years ago.

Is EC playing with fire, yes. Is it stupid for him to turn it down, not necessarily. While he hit paydirt getting sizeable amounts of time being the pivot for Gaborik, there is no guarantee that he will get such a plum assignment in the future. Without that assignment, he would look just as useless as he did in his first few games as a Ranger.

The chances of EC getting put right back on the trashpile where he was found are just as likely, if not more likely than him "putting up huge numbers with Gaborik and then cashing in 2 years later."

The difference between a 2yr/1.5 deal and a 2yr/2mil deal are astounding, especially since the later deal would pay for your retirement.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:14 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

So what do we do now? Demitra? Savard? Dubinsky? Anisimov?

Although to be fair I hated the idea of EC being our number 1 center.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:48 AM
morffin

Too bad ...this kid was a great story ...on the brink of pissing his NHL career away ...then saved. He always seemed grateful for the chance he go here...hope they work it out...he has skills and worked well w/ Gabby.
I understand its a biz but EC is making a big mistake. Would love to see him in a Ranger sweater next year.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:51 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
So what do we do now? Demitra? Savard? Dubinsky? Anisimov?

Although to be fair I hated the idea of EC being our number 1 center.
If we sign Demitra, he'll most likely play left wing. Hopefully on the 2nd line.

Old
06-30-2010, 02:04 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

my guess is Stepan gets every chance to make the team out of camp.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:07 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I'm not sure I understand what Christ is after, he wanted more than a one year deal and some security and he got that. I smell agent greed here.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:20 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

One thing that isn't clear to me is is his agent intending to make a counter proposal?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:26 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
One thing that isn't clear to me is is his agent intending to make a counter proposal?
I'd guess they might go that way after he tests the market a bit on Thursday.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:12 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
would seem so.

in years past, we would bring some slug in to take a spot from a yute. this year, im praying they give the kid a chance and if he doesnt majorly ef up in camp, let him break camp with the team and see how he looks in preseason games.

theres no doubt in my mind that hell struggle some, but hes also capable of being really good. on paper, he doesnt help much and thats my fear. well be looking for a name player and just assume derek cant help us. that would be a mistake.

one concern though is if he does make the team, who plays with gaborik ? is it dubinsky by default ?

would it go down the middle something like

dubi
arty
derek
boyle/capt quaalude

not very impressive at all im afraid

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:21 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Trade for Brassard.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I don't think EC is really that good. That being said, I can understand him rejecting this offer. Guy has some skill, and is only 26. To be honest, I would have been a bit insulted by that (especially after the QO wasn't offered). Everyone talks about how he was AHL-bound, I disagree. The guy can play in the NHL at a bottom6 level.

Still, this gives you the chance to go and get a better first-line center, because EC certainly was not that.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:42 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Trade for Brassard.
I'd definitely consider that! Though Columbus jumped the gun and gave him too big of a contract too early

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:46 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
the reaction is a little strong considering we don't know what the offer is. Christensen owes Sather nothing.
Sather owes EC a 2010 playoff run for his miserable group of losers. He is THE BEST C at the moment. He is def worth Dubi/Cali money. Yes, he played with Gaborik, but so did Drury who made 9 times more.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Melrose_Jr.

The revolving door at first line center keeps on spinnin'. Awesome!

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I highly highly doubt that. 20 year old kid straight out of college being asked to play a top 6 role at center? Thats a recipe for disaster.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:57 AM
SaveByLundqvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I highly highly doubt that. 20 year old kid straight out of college being asked to play a top 6 role at center? Thats a recipe for disaster.
Worked for Toews

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:59 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Trade for Brassard.
Gilroy and a pick/prospect swapt for Brassard, please!

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:05 AM
94now

I now think Sather intends to sign him for less than offer after Thu. He is indispensable to this team at this point in time. All of that may be different in the fall, but he is in much better position than Dubi was last year. Not only he may C Gaborik, he can do it better than anyone else.

Old
06-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I now think Sather intends to sign him for less than offer after Thu. He is indispensable to this team at this point in time. All of that may be different in the fall, but he is in much better position than Dubi was last year. Not only he may C Gaborik, he can do it better than anyone else.
Completely 100% false. Indespensible? Why? Because hes the defacto #1 center on this team?

The only reason I can even think of keeping Christensen around is the cheap price tag, and now that he seems to actually be believing hes a #1 center instead of a guy that plays center on the first line, that positive goes right out the window.

Besides, you said earlier that he "deserves" Cally money...2.3 million per for Erik Chistiansen? Thats maddening.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:26 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

He must be coming to Florida...they'd give $2 million for anyone that scored 10 goals in a season.

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:04 AM
94now

Quote:
Completely 100% false. Indespensible? Why? Because hes the defacto #1 center on this team?
Exactly. Player gets pay for the the job regardless of whether he deserves that job or not.

Quote:
The only reason I can even think of keeping Christensen around is the cheap price tag, and now that he seems to actually be believing hes a #1 center instead of a guy that plays center on the first line, that positive goes right out the window.
2.5 Million for top 6 player is cheap. He didn't ask for even that. Name RFA that got 1.5 million contract for top 6 NHL job.

Quote:
Besides, you said earlier that he "deserves" Cally money...2.3 million per for Erik Chistiansen? Thats maddening.
Callahan is a career 3rd liner, although good one. He is overpaid IMO. There is no comparison between a winger and center to begin with. 2 million for Christ is final answer.

Old
06-30-2010, 09:14 AM
NikC

Sather gave EC another chance to salvage his career on an original six team in NYC.
In itself that is huge. Not only that but he gets to play on the top line!
When EC came here his early interviews showed that he was a real sad sack head case. Totally deflated, and wore it on his sleeve. Those arenít good signs for a first line center in NYC imo.

The kid has got skills though, he has the talent and he needs to prove heís worth the money by actually playing
One FULL season of hockey in the NHL! How about it? As far as Iím concerned management looks at him
As a talented experiment, because he hasnít even proven he can play a full season on ANY team in the NHL.
Letís see this guy for what he is, an experiment with some talent.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:17 AM
ThirdEye

Haha, 94now's obsession with marginal players continues

Christensen is a borderline third line player who upped his game for a few months to make some money. He's never played a full season and I doubt he will next season.

edit: by the way, if you think he's a top 6 player you must have eaten the wrong mushrooms

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote