HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gauthier's off season work so far...

Old
06-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Vicious

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Indeed, Gauthier missed the boat. Florida certainly would have preferred Hamrlik or Spacek to Wideman.

Not to mention the 27th pick to the 15th.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:55 PM
AlexGalchenyuk94
NHL Managerial Guru

It's premature to say Moore is gone. He could easily be back. He could be our 3rd line centre still. (If Pouliot struggles, Eller moves to left wing, Moore up to 3rd line C)

Both Eller and Boyd (assuming he signs) can play wing.

AlexGalchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:11 PM
HockeyF3ind

Right now with no more moves are looking at

cammy-plecks-a kost
pouliot-gomez-gionta
moen-eller-Boyd
white-lappy-pyatt

markov-subban
hamrlik-spacek
gill-gorges
obryne

Price
Ellis

looks pretty good already and we have still have cap room for an impact player (or two pending a hamrlik/spacek trade)

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I think it's too early to be happy or angry about what he has done.
But I'm glad he's taking chances.
Sure the Halak move was controversial but at the end of the day, all he did was trade away a futur problem and closing his eyes hard hoping he doesn't get killed.

Gauthier will have balls when he'll send someone like Hamrlik on waivers and get us a top guy via trades or the UFA market.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:21 PM
JayBee*

I'll wait. I think the Habs still need a top 6 player and D-man.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:35 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
He also fired/let go many scouts.

He did a poor job, getting depth when we need impact players.
where you from man? Unicorn land with faeries and golden butterflies where "impact players" grow in trees and dollar bills fall from the sky?

grow up!

1. Eller might be an impact player, we don't know yet.
2. Considering the poor retun for goalies (historically, a 2nd round pick is a good return), getting more than a 2nd round pick kinda = genius.
3. S.K. shouldn't even have been re-signed. If you look at the Kotaliks and O'Sullivans on waivers, you'll realise that S.K. is a big juicy piece of crap compared to those guys who were all let go recently. i.e. they are available for NOTHING.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:37 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Maybe you missed Byfuglien and Horton trades.
Horton - Trading wideman roughly = trading PK. You'd have been the first to whine loud that we traded PK.
Byfuglien is not an impact player. He's a big guy who's unmovable and who is able to tip it in WHEN PLAYING WITH TOEWS AND KANE. It remain to be seen what he can do in Atlanta.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:43 PM
alexstream

You might understand from the tone of my posts that I'm kinda flabberghasted by PG's move to date.
IMO, it's way way beyond expectations. I kinda expected more of the same old... but this guy is pro-active. Trading Halak right now at the highest of his value is pure genius. Maybe it will end up being a bad trade with hindsight (i.e. Eller & Price flops and Halak wins the Vezina), but right now, it allowed us to retain Plekanec AND get a projected top 6 player with size. (not even mentioning Schultz)

And what to say about SK... Garbage for some usable depth (if signed). Cause we have to use the correct word : SK was noxious, garbage in the locker room. Don't fool yourself there by trying to convince yourself otherwise. Just getting something more than a slap in the face IMO = genius. The normal BG move would have been either not qualify him or getting a 6th round pick.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:58 PM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
1. Eller might be an impact player, we don't know yet.
The team needs proven impact players now. Pierre just brought in another major question mark.

Quote:
2. Considering the poor retun for goalies (historically, a 2nd round pick is a good return), getting more than a 2nd round pick kinda = genius.
None of the goalies traded lately resemble Halak in any shape or form. People throw around 2nd round pick value all the time, when was the last time it actually happened?

Quote:
3. S.K. shouldn't even have been re-signed. If you look at the Kotaliks and O'Sullivans on waivers, you'll realise that S.K. is a big juicy piece of crap compared to those guys who were all let go recently. i.e. they are available for NOTHING.
Those players have monstrous contracts, have been consistently inconsistent for many different teams. That is why they are waived.

Quote:
Horton - Trading wideman roughly = trading PK. You'd have been the first to whine loud that we traded PK.
LOL that is all.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:01 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
He also fired/let go many scouts.

He did a poor job, getting depth when we need impact players.
Dude, we drafted fine as the work was done. There will be a new system in place for scouting, and he has 2 more months to address needs of the team. In the first 2 weeks since the Cup was won he has done more than most GMs already.

Talk about a hard fan base to keep happy.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
The team needs proven impact players now. Pierre just brought in another major question mark.

None of the goalies traded lately resemble Halak in any shape or form. People throw around 2nd round pick value all the time, when was the last time it actually happened?

Those players have monstrous contracts, have been consistently inconsistent for many different teams. That is why they are waived.

LOL that is all.
Yeah we need an impact player, but I'm pretty sure Gauthier was not able to get one for Halak. Eller was the best player we could get...if it wasn't the case, it would have been another trade. And I hope you won't talk about David Perron because he's not an impact player at this point.

And right now, goaltenders value is pretty low. It's been the case for a few years now. Check this out :

Quote:
Roberto Luongo and Lukas Krijicek and a 6th round pick for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld
We're talking about one of the 5 best goaltender in the league. Florida got a power forward who was on his decline, a stay at home defenceman and a back up goaltender. They received zero impact player for one of the best goaltender in the world.

Finally, you're right, trading Wideman isn't like trading P.K. Subban. But the fact is that we don't have a Wideman who is available to trade in our system. Markov and Subban are keepers, Goerges is decent, but his trade value isn't high, and the rest, well, they are old and not too valuable on the trade market.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:30 PM
markov`

Quote:
Nothing to be drooling over just yet. He has done the things needed to be done, but nothing phenomenal.

A veteran proven d-man like Hamrlik with 1 year left, or Spacek, is much more vital to the development of their young defense men than Dennis Wideman. He blows.
So you're saying we could've get horton for hamrlik and picks

markov` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:59 PM
m00ks

So far? Fantastic.

- Laraque out.
- Goalie controversy quenched.
- Center depth/futures reinforced.
- Plekanec resigned.
- Locker room distractions gone. (Sergei)

Next should be upgrading top 6 through free agency which would require freeing up some money. If he can transform Hamrlik into a top 6 forward, he's get an A+ from me.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:05 PM
TheBuriedHab

I like what hes done so far. Cherry on top would be trading for Bobby Ryan (Pipe Dream I know) but a top 6 forward like that would be awesome. I still see a hole or 2 on our top 6. Im fairly Certain AK can fulfill the role with Cammy and Pleks. The question however is Can Pouliot be consistent enough to be a 2nd line winger. Who knows but so far so good imo.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:09 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:

LOL that is all.

Ok firstly, Scouts around the league Believe Eller will be a great 2nd line center if not better. PG adressed a Franchise Flaw that we have had for the longest time. Size and Skill down the middle, for the future alteast.

Secondly there are not many teams in need of a goalie. He took the best offer.

As for Sergie he has Little to no value. The sooner people realize that the better.

Wideman, I see the only defenseman that we could have traded like him is Gorges. Would you have traded Gorges? I wouldn't. Don't Kid yourself, Hamrlik is not a better option lol.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:21 PM
coolasprICE

if we're counting ufa's as lost then we should count ufa's we keep (Plekanec)

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:28 PM
TankEller*

Could you guys imagine if we succeeded and actually signed Lombardi?!...

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Eller - Lombardi - Boyd
Moen - Pyatt - Lapierre

Eller and Lombardi could both play LW or C.

Wow!

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:31 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Could you guys imagine if we succeeded and actually signed Lombardi?!...

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Eller - Lombardi - Boyd
Moen - Pyatt - Lapierre

Eller and Lombardi could both play LW or C.

Wow!
If we did sign Lombardi, we'd have to shed up space ala Hamr or Spacek. We need cap space too, we are not just in a position of strength, we don't want to cripple our selves here.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:36 PM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoopok View Post
Ok firstly, Scouts around the league Believe Eller will be a great 2nd line center if not better. PG adressed a Franchise Flaw that we have had for the longest time. Size and Skill down the middle, for the future alteast.
Yeah that is great, if he develops into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoopok View Post
Secondly there are not many teams in need of a goalie. He took the best offer.
Philadelphia, San Jose, Chicago, Dallas, Washington to name a few need a true #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov` View Post
So you're saying we could've get horton for hamrlik and picks
We could have possibly moved Hamrlik in the deal, yes. Tallon is a smart guy, he knows you can't just ice a bunch of rookies and expect them to learn themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Yeah we need an impact player, but I'm pretty sure Gauthier was not able to get one for Halak. Eller was the best player we could get...if it wasn't the case, it would have been another trade. And I hope you won't talk about David Perron because he's not an impact player at this point.

And right now, goaltenders value is pretty low. It's been the case for a few years now. Check this out :

We're talking about one of the 5 best goaltender in the league. Florida got a power forward who was on his decline, a stay at home defenceman and a back up goaltender. They received zero impact player for one of the best goaltender in the world.
At the time Luongo was to become an unrestricted free agent with ridiculous demands forcing the Panthers to make a move. Lu had Florida by the balls and despite being a top goalie he had 0 playoff experience. Many seem to forget that. Plus, Florida received, although damaged goods, the top power forward in the league at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Finally, you're right, trading Wideman isn't like trading P.K. Subban. But the fact is that we don't have a Wideman who is available to trade in our system. Markov and Subban are keepers, Goerges is decent, but his trade value isn't high, and the rest, well, they are old and not too valuable on the trade market.
Tallon was looking to move and I'm sure that we could have put together a better package than what Boston gave. Florida could have found a Wideman elsewhere.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:39 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
If we did sign Lombardi, we'd have to shed up space ala Hamr or Spacek. We need cap space too, we are not just in a position of strength, we don't want to cripple our selves here.
With Hamrlik coming off the books, as well as Gill and Kostitsyn, I'd imagine the 12,000,000 freed up the year after would be sufficient to re-sign Markov, Pouliot, maybe Price and Lapierre, as well as Andrei if he performs accurately

According to Pat Hickey's article of this morning, we've got 8,600,000 available in cap space.

Price: 1,750,000
Ellis: 2,000,000
Boyd: 0,900,000
Lapierre: 1,000,000

2,950,000 available for one other forward. If Hickey's numbers were right (he probably got this from an informed source), we have plenty of money to add a serviceable 3rd line forward. If Lombardi asks for more than 3M, screw him, there are other options as well.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:39 PM
MXD

I think some people are pretty pessimistic about MaxPAc...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Habruti!

I think he did a reasonable job...

We now have a young promissing center in Lars Eller. If he turns out like Yan Bulis we will say this was a very bad trade, on the other hand he could turn to be an Alfredson type of guy in which case we will be delighted about this trade. Its too early to juge the draft, Plekanek is re-signed and he has sent away Sergei Kostsitsyn.

To me this is reasonable... if he signs Ellis at a reasonable rate it will be good.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:43 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I think some people are pretty pessimistic about MaxPAc...
No just realistic. And THANKS GOD for this. Last sumer, everybody was aldready saying how superior of a hockey player he was to Lats... We all saw how in turned up to be... And I'm not even that big of a Lats fan.

Pacioretty was virtually useless last year, and has been hurt pretty much his whole stint down in Hamilton. You're deluded if you think he's NHL ready. Let him develop in the AHL for christ sake.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:45 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Yeah that is great, if he develops into that.

Philadelphia, San Jose, Chicago, Dallas, Washington to name a few need a true #1.

We could have possibly moved Hamrlik in the deal, yes. Tallon is a smart guy, he knows you can't just ice a bunch of rookies and expect them to learn themselves.

At the time Luongo was to become an unrestricted free agent with ridiculous demands forcing the Panthers to make a move. Lu had Florida by the balls and despite being a top goalie he had 0 playoff experience. Many seem to forget that. Plus, Florida received, although damaged goods, the top power forward in the league at the time.

Tallon was looking to move and I'm sure that we could have put together a better package than what Boston gave. Florida could have found a Wideman elsewhere.
Ugh I can't believe you are comparing A young Wideman with top 2-4 up side to a 35 year old hamrlik with 1 year left on his deal.

Chicago has cap issues, no way they can sign Halak to a big deal. Washington has a Varlamov and Neuvirth comming up. Philly would n't even offer a 2nd rounder for halak before and i don't want him in the conference. San jose was realisticaly the only other trading partner, and im just taking a guess here but Maybe Gauthier offered him to san jose too and took the better deal from st louis???????!??!?! I know it sounds crazy but Gm's usually take the best deal available.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:45 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
With Hamrlik coming off the books, as well as Gill and Kostitsyn, I'd imagine the 12,000,000 freed up the year after would be sufficient to re-sign Markov, Pouliot, maybe Price and Lapierre, as well as Andrei if he performs accurately

According to Pat Hickey's article of this morning, we've got 8,600,000 available in cap space.

Price: 1,750,000
Ellis: 2,000,000
Boyd: 0,900,000
Lapierre: 1,000,000

2,950,000 available for one other forward. If Hickey's numbers were right (he probably got this from an informed source), we have plenty of money to add a serviceable 3rd line forward. If Lombardi asks for more than 3M, screw him, there are other options as well.
I suppose, although I would not trade Hal Gill, I'd focus on resigning him for cheaper the year after.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote