HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gauthier's off season work so far...

Old
06-30-2010, 08:08 AM
JSBach

vCash: 500
Dump Gomez! Good player but definitely not worth 7.3 mil.! 3.5-4.5 at most. If Gauthier can somehow get a team to trade for him I might kiss him!

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:51 AM
lamp9post

I like what Gauthier has done so far, and realistically he doesn't have much work ahead of him this summer other than signing RFA's and a backup goalie.

- He sorted out the goalie situation (time will tell if he chose correctly) and picked up a highly touted prospect that we were sorely lacking in our system.

- He re-signed our only important UFA.

- He moved up in the draft to ensure they got their target.

- He got rid of a headcase in Skost for a pair of players who may add to our depth if signed.

Not a bad months work in my opinion. What I like about Gauthier specifically is that he seems to appreciate the value of young players and cheap contracts, especially in supporting roles. It is looking like our 3rd and 4th lines are going to be very affordable next year, which is preferable than paying aging vets 1.5-2mil for playing on the 4th line.

I hope people aren't expecting much more out of him this summer, because I think our team is more or less set for next year. However next summer with Hamrlik and Gill expiring, I expect Gauthier to resign Markov and add a stud UFA with the capspace.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
Given up 2 2nd round picks with nothing on the roster to show for it
Traded the team MVP and top 5 goalie for a long shot 3rd liner.
Traded Sergei Kostitsyn for nothing.

So far he's an F, which usually is short for Failure. In this case it's for "_ucking this team".
Moore scored the GWG in that Washington series and was a key part against the Penguins as well

Halak trade right now doesn't make sense but let's wait and see in a few years if Halak can keep this play up

Kostitsyn isn't worth anything

So far I like what he has done and that includes the draft,if you aren't happy there are 29 other teams you can cheer for

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Andy

I like what Gauthier did because he brought us more depth at the forward position(assuming Boyd signs).

The biggest complaint in the playoffs was habs lack of secondary scoring(Gionta, Cammalleri and Gomez were not the problem). By bringing in Eller and Boyd, Gauthier brought in cheap, young secondary solutions to offense which we needed. He also brought in players that can step up in an offensive role for a few games in case of injury, which was a huge problem when Gionta and Gomez went down as well as Andrei and Cammalleri.

I like what he's done. He's also brought in players with the same never quit mentality that was shown by Gomez, Gionta, Cammy, Gill and Gorges.

I've seen Eller play, I've also been pushing for Boyd for a while because I like his play. These two players are the type of players Montreal fans will appreciate.

Gauthier's moves so far have been pretty good, wait until these players play and your grading will move up a notch.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
I like his work so far, but it is very hard to figure whether those were good decisions until Boy, Price and Ellis are signed and the team played a few games... I think he showed so far that he is more pro-active than Gainey was and willing to make hard decisions. The goalie situation was a no-win situation for him and he faced journalists the very same day the trade was announced. Kudos. I am very excited about the days to come, hopefully we can have our goaltending tandem set and add a bit to the team via the UFA market.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Moore scored the GWG in that Washington series and was a key part against the Penguins as well

Halak trade right now doesn't make sense but let's wait and see in a few years if Halak can keep this play up

Kostitsyn isn't worth anything

So far I like what he has done and that includes the draft,if you aren't happy there are 29 other teams you can cheer for
In the bigger picture, a GWG for a second round pick is not a good tradeoff, especially for a team that's on the playoff bubble and trying to get to a higher level.
A few months of Moore did nothing to get the tearm to a sustainable higher level.

In the detailed picture, Gauthier appears to have paid a second round draft pick for a player who he is going to lose (who coincidentally could have been had for nothing only a few months earlier , another topic) . He then is dealing a third line player and another draft pick for tthe replacement for that player (who coincidentally can be had for nothing in , oh, about 26 hours from now).

So lets assume Gauthier gets his third line player issue settled by working a deal with Boyd in the next day. He paid a second rounder, a yet to be determined pick, and a third line player for a third line player that is arguably the worst of all the players rotating through the revolving third line player door. And all players involved have been available for free at one point or another. This is visionary how?

The Halak trade is ridiculous, only the people who obsess over potential will be left with doubt.

Kostitstyn wore out his welcome sure but it will be ironic when he gets to a higher level with another team, because he will have been the only activist (mouthpiece) railing against the youth mismanagement he himself is the victim of.

As for the bolded part, this isn't an appreciation thread, it's a thread discussing Gauthier's work so far. His record is abysmal and people need to be able to hear that message without telling messengers to beat it.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:06 AM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
In the bigger picture, a GWG for a second round pick is not a good tradeoff, especially for a team that's on the playoff bubble and trying to get to a higher level.
A few months of Moore did nothing to get the tearm to a sustainable higher level.

In the detailed picture, Gauthier appears to have paid a second round draft pick for a player who he is going to lose (who coincidentally could have been had for nothing only a few months earlier , another topic) . He then is dealing a third line player and another draft pick for tthe replacement for that player (who coincidentally can be had for nothing in , oh, about 26 hours from now).

So lets assume Gauthier gets his third line player issue settled by working a deal with Boyd in the next day. He paid a second rounder, a yet to be determined pick, and a third line player for a third line player that is arguably the worst of all the players rotating through the revolving third line player door. And all players involved have been available for free at one point or another. This is visionary how?

The Halak trade is ridiculous, only the people who obsess over potential will be left with doubt.

Kostitstyn wore out his welcome sure but it will be ironic when he gets to a higher level with another team, because he will have been the only activist (mouthpiece) railing against the youth mismanagement he himself is the victim of.

As for the bolded part, this isn't an appreciation thread, it's a thread discussing Gauthier's work so far. His record is abysmal and people need to be able to hear that message without telling messengers to beat it.
It was actually a series winning goal. Who knows if we would have even got past the first round let alone to the third round without Moore. If you wouldn't trade that for a 2nd rounder in a weak draft then

Also, you must have something better to do than bicker about 4th liners acquired for 4th liners.

Time will tell on the Halak trade, but I don't see much else to complain about.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:19 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

At least he got something in return in the SK74 trade - although neither Boyd or Ellis have signed yet

Maybe Gauthier would have gotten something better than Niinima for Ribeiro

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:29 AM
alexstream

I think the key is PG's indepth knowledge of everything that wears skates.

Dustin Boyd is a pretty decent 3rd/4th liner and at 24 y.o. and salary below 1M, that's a pretty decent addition.

IMO, Bob, as much as I liked him, would never have got that type of player. Bob was more of the Moen, 29 y.o. 1.5M "renowned" player type. If we'd have got Boyd under BG, his comment would have been same as when we got Huet : never seen him play, I heard he can play that role.

I'm starting to think that PG might go fish players in the left field and land some homeruns here and there like Ville Leno.

PG

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Drive425

The closer we get to free agency the better I think the deal GP made was a good one. With the glut of goaltenders on the ufa market I think Halak's value would've gone down. He's a good goalie, but why would any team pay a premium player/prospect to get him. There are many good goalies on the market and proof positive you don't need stellar goaltending to win the cup or make the finals...Niemi & Leighton.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:51 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
The closer we get to free agency the better I think the deal GP made was a good one. With the glut of goaltenders on the ufa market I think Halak's value would've gone down. He's a good goalie, but why would any team pay a premium player/prospect to get him. There are many good goalies on the market and proof positive you don't need stellar goaltending to win the cup or make the finals...Niemi & Leighton.
Exactly, depth in the other positions is motre important (again: Hawks and Flyers)

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:36 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Maybe you missed Byfuglien and Horton trades.
Byfuglien is overated (but would of been welcomed here) and Horton is NOT an impact player. You're just talking out of your ass.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:52 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs4life10 View Post
Dump Gomez! Good player but definitely not worth 7.3 mil.! 3.5-4.5 at most. If Gauthier can somehow get a team to trade for him I might kiss him!
Gomez is here to stay, get over it.

What's with your Leafs avatar...?

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:01 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post

You realize that the Niinima trade is refered as the worst trade of the BG era?

You realize Niinima is not Boyd nor Ellis?

You realize Sergei was pretty much good as gone by virtue of his own behavior?

You realize that by keeping Sergei would look poorly on the franchise?

You realize that his teammates are probably happy that he's gone?

You realize that Sergei had no trade value? .. which is why we got "ufa's" ?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
You realize that Sergei will score 50 points in Nashville?
What makes you so sure?

Are you using your "trusty" NHL "math" yet again?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:27 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Yes, I understand all of that.

You realize that Boyd and Ellis are UFAs tomorrow?

What will we have to show for a 50 points scorer?

What was the rush to trade him?

As for his trade value, you are the one saying he has no trade value.
Well, that is exactly what we got: Nothing.

At this point the Niinima trade seems a better deal...
The rush to trade him? How long do you want to hold onto him for and what benefit would that serve other than risk losing him to the KHL for nothing? You do realize that it is far from a lock that he even puts on a Preds jersey?

As for his "talent" - his upside is a poor man 2nd liner with a heart the size of a mosquito. He's a poorly conditioned athlete with overrated skill. His claim to glory was playing on a line with two superstars in junior. He can take his soft perimeter game to the KHL where he might have a better chance in establishing himself. If we sign one Boyd or Ellis in the next few hours we win the trade. If we don't , than at least we did something nice for the REAL PLAYERS of this team

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Up to now, he has two UFA to show for SK.

You realize that the Niinima trade is refered as the worst trade of the BG era?
What did you expect for an unproductive player with a poor attitude and worse work ethic?

SK is worth a 6th on his own, so I expect we'll get a 6th or 7th if he signs with Nashville.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:17 PM
JSBach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Gomez is here to stay, get over it.

What's with your Leafs avatar...?
There is always hope!

I'm in this weird situation in which I love the Leafs and the Habs equally. Bizarre, I know.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:14 PM
RNiner

Quote:
Yes, I understand all of that.

You realize that Boyd and Ellis are UFAs tomorrow?

What will we have to show for a 50 points scorer?

What was the rush to trade him?

As for his trade value, you are the one saying he has no trade value.
Well, that is exactly what we got: Nothing.

At this point the Niinima trade seems a better deal...
We didn't get nothing. We got to talk to two solid players days before any other team could. We could show them we wanted them, instead of being one of 10 teams calling on July 1st. If Ellis signs, we'll never know if it was because we were his #1 option anyway or if he was impressed by us in the 48 hours before July 1.

But alot of the love/hate for the Sergei trade really revolves on how you evaluate him. Most of us realize there are hundreds of guys like Sergei out there. Flameouts, who don't succeed because deep down they just don't want it bad enough. Every once in a while a couple of these insanely talented guys pick themselves up and do what it takes to succeed, usually as a result of proper mentoring. He obviously was never going to get that here, and just as obviously he has about a 1-in-50 chance of actually being one of those guys anyway.

I understand that part of asset management is understanding a player's value to other teams as well as our own. If he's worth nothing to us but is worth a 2nd rounder to someone else, then his value is a 2nd rounder. Now, consider that obviously PG has been shopping this kid likely since the day we lost game 5 in Philly. Alll day draft day, and we had NO takers. 30 GM's within 100 feet. Not one of them willing to offer a draft pick. Are you closer to understanding his perceived value by other teams? Nashville ended up willing to maybe part with a 5th rounder IF they can sign the guy. We took it, because he clearly couldn't stay here after his comments in the paper.

So yes, I'd trade a useless asset that very few other teams wanted for a 20% better chance at signing Ellis.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:38 PM
JackZap

we still didnt address top 6 winger. I guess they are hoping BP and AK will break out this year but still, I dont see them being physical, driving to the net type of players. I still dont get getting Eller when hes gonna be our 3rd center for at least the next 4 years? whens this kid gonna play? I dont see him getting any PP time ahead of Pleks or Gomez. Unless he can play on the wing or maybe he was the best available player out there for Halak and they decided to go with that... Still I think it was pretty obvious that we need a big physical winger in that top 6 and that isn't addressed yet.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:44 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs4life10 View Post
There is always hope!

I'm in this weird situation in which I love the Leafs and the Habs equally. Bizarre, I know.
Bizarre? More like pathetic.

Chose one team. You can't be a fan of both.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Rushtime

Quote:
You guys are totally unfair as far as SK talent is concerned.
I was right with Latendresse and I will be right again.

He will get 50 points. Book it.
I am sure he will bust his ass in Nashville and become a top-6 immediatly.

Nashville fans will laugh at this trade for years to come.

I never said to keep him but only stupid people would deny his talent.
Do I need to go back in 2008?

I don't like what Sergei did but that does not prevent me from seeing his talent.
agreed

Rushtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:34 PM
1UP

Quote:
You guys are totally unfair as far as SK talent is concerned.
I was right with Latendresse and I will be right again.

He will get 50 points. Book it.
I am sure he will bust his ass in Nashville and become a top-6 immediatly.

Nashville fans will laugh at this trade for years to come.

I never said to keep him but only stupid people would deny his talent.
Do I need to go back in 2008?

I don't like what Sergei did but that does not prevent me from seeing his talent.
Nashville fans know better.

See: Radulov.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Capitano

Nashville was a ridiculously defensive disciplined team...not sure how Sergei is going to fit in that system.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Max Levine

Latendresse getting $2.5M per makes Pouliot signing a pretty good deal after all.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote