HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

1st round, #10 overall - Rangers select Dylan Mcilrath (Part 2)

Old
11-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Question, has he started his season yet and anywhere I can read how he's doing or AT THE VERY LEAST, see his stats?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:45 AM
MeltingPlastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Question, has he started his season yet and anywhere I can read how he's doing or AT THE VERY LEAST, see his stats?
http://whl.ca/roster/show/id/519

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Interesting. Anyone have a link?

http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videoce...d=765&id=80428

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:00 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Interesting. Anyone have a link?
These are from an earlier post of mine. Just some quotes from Sather/Clark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie Clark
It was a concerted effort on our part, our philosophy in this draft, to go after big Canadian junior players. It starts with McIlrath, who was the toughest player in the draft, and carries through. I am very happy with what we accomplished here.
Quote:
Heís a special kind of player. When this kid is 22 years old, youíre going to see a hell of a National Hockey League player. Other teams are not going to want to play against him or come into Madison Square Garden.
Quote:
A special player doesn't have to be a top-end scorer or goaltender.
Quote:
The feet are tremendous already for a kid thatís a little over 6-foot-4. Heís a very, very good skater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Sather
The phone was ringing, but it gets a little tricky when you slip down in the draft because you could lose the player you really want. We knew about (McIlrath) and knew he was the type of player we were looking for so we got him.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Mugless

It makes no sense to say that the Rangers response to a lack of toughness was drafting McIlrath. Everybody knows he's a few years away, so how would that address the toughness issue now? The knee-jerk reaction was Boogard, not McIlrath.

Mugless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:38 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugless View Post
It makes no sense to say that the Rangers response to a lack of toughness was drafting McIlrath. Everybody knows he's a few years away, so how would that address the toughness issue now? The knee-jerk reaction was Boogard, not McIlrath.
Because we're going to need a player like him in the future? The future of this team is Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Staal, Stepan, Kreider, etc. McIlrath will be as much of a need then as he is now.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Mugless

Yes, I agree and I like the pick. I just don't agree with the argument that we reached for him because of the Gaborik/Carcillo incident and things like that.

Mugless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:04 PM
NYR Viper

People need to watch the Schoenfeld interview:

http://rangers.nhl.tv/team/console

He said how the Rangers, every off-season, have been saying that they need a rugged, tough, defensive defenseman. They have been saying it for years. He also says that teams who have them don't give them up because they are coveted around the league.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:49 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post

He said how the Rangers, every off-season, have been saying that they need a rugged, tough, defensive defenseman. They have been saying it for years. He also says that teams who have them don't give them up because they are coveted around the league.
I think it really is true. I wasn't watching hockey in the 70's but look at all of those hall of famers the Rangers had back then (I can think of at least 4). Goal Tending was as good as it is today (actually better when considering both goal tenders). Park and the GAG line helped to provide the team with lots of offense and good "D." Yet the team could not win a single Stanley Cup.
They simply did not have enough tough guys to get passed the Bruins or especially the Flyers. I'd say the Flyers had less skill than the Rangers. So if they were able to take care of Orr, Esposito and the big bad (yet skilled) Bruins, of course the Rangers weren't going to win.

Those Flyers teams may have been a drastic example and (for sure) there will never be another team like that again. But still today, I think if you can intimidate the other team physically, and play aggressive along the boards, in front of the net, and in the corners, it can't hurt. So I'm not just talking about fighting. IMO,when you play that type of hockey, the other teams will want to retaliate and fight. So your team has to be well prepared and have guys ready to drop the gloves. I think this kind of play works well in the playoffs especially, as eventually the opposition will break down mentally and completely lose their game.

I don't remember the Rangers having an effective crease clearing, hard hitting defenseman with a mean streak since Beukeboom. Would the Rangers have won the Cup without him? Hmmm....?
It worked for the Devils (Stevens, Daneyko)
..............for the Ducks (Pronger, O'Donnell, O'Brien)
..............for the Pens (Orpik)
..............for the Avs (Foote)
..............for the Canes (Commodore)
etc...Even teams that haven't won the Cup but win a lot like Boston's Chara or Vancouver's Bieksa are stalwart's on the blue line.

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 11-09-2010 at 05:22 PM.
gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:56 PM
DutchShamrock

Seabrook, Keith and Hjalmarson are no picnics either.

And you look at the teams that come up surprisingly short: Caps, Sharks, Flyers until last season, Canadians when they won the conference... those teams lacked that edge and grit on the blueline. It's just a thing that isn't as evident in the regular season as it is in the playoffs.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:57 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
These are from an earlier post of mine. Just some quotes from Sather/Clark.
Oh, thanks. I read some of these before. I'm wondering more about future drafts, and if that will be the direction Clarke continues to go in. I suppose time will tell...Thanks again.

Old
11-09-2010, 05:15 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Seabrook, Keith and Hjalmarson are no picnics either.

And you look at the teams that come up surprisingly short: Caps, Sharks, Flyers until last season, Canadians when they won the conference... those teams lacked that edge and grit on the blueline. It's just a thing that isn't as evident in the regular season as it is in the playoffs.
True, and maybe there's a lot of people out there who hear the name Mcilrath and think Dale Purinton or Eric Cairns. I wasn't even aware of how well he (Mcilrath) can skate until I re-read a quote by Clarke. Good pick...Long overdue! A few years from now, we should have a rock solid defense in front of Lundqvist. It's pretty good now. But Staal, DZ, Mcilrath, Sauer, and (possibly) Gilroy, Valentenko, and/or Pashnin will continue their improvement. Not to mention Girardi will still be here. I think we're finally starting to move into a fun era in Rangers hockey.

Old
11-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Levitate

I think Hjalmarson is kind of overrated but yeah the Hawks had a good D corps last year

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 06:25 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If MDZ can refine his defensive game, and Big Mac lives up to expectations and we can see a D-Corp of

Staal-McIlrath
MDZ-Girardi
Two of McDonagh, V-Tank and Sauer

I think our defense looks great. Two shutdown d-men with Staal hopefully continuing progress on his offense, a solid guy like Girardi paired with PPQB MDZ, and our top 4 is good.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post

I re-watched/listened to several of the draft coverage videos again this morning. Interesting stuff in all of them, but Schoney's was good as well.

He's a guy that has a good take on what a future Rangers blue line needs to look like.

Also the comments he got from other teams after they picked McIlrath were also interesting.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 06:39 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
I know a number of people for some reason avoid the Prospects thread like the plague, but the very first post of that thread has all the stats for all of our prospects. I update it every couple days.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=820268

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 04:08 AM
topcat986*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I know a number of people for some reason avoid the Prospects thread like the plague, but the very first post of that thread has all the stats for all of our prospects. I update it every couple days.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=820268

I live in Winnipeg! I know what this kid can do, Just like I knew about Jonathan Teows and the next one will be Michael St. Croix these kids are humble and there work ethic and desire should never be questioned. Rangers got themselves a true difference maker on the back end of there D. Points wise not so much . clearing the front of the net and hammering people along the boards oh hell yes!

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote