Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2010, 02:09 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
One could use this same argument as for why Wellman is still up as well.

Kobasew and Latendresse are out. As a manager, I would call up the next best skilled forward. As a coach, I would play him where I thought he fit.

Completely healthy? Yes, Wellman shouldn't be up here. Completely healthy, we have one forward too many, period, and the lines will be mucked with then.

This team is far from healthy. To go off on an ignorant rant about playing our best available "skilled" guy? Just made me angry. Then to come out here and read the self-righteous, "i'm right" version?
Well I was hoping someone else would make the argument.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
11-17-2010, 02:27 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I can see that for the first 5 games. But Wellman's been up here for 9 games without a point. At some point in time, you have to ask if this is the best place for him. He's not creating a lot of scoring chances, he's certainly not scoring, so why not send him back down?

I remember Sheppard's first year, he had lots of great flashes. He was so snakebit, getting great chances and hitting posts or just missing the net. Eventually that turned into him not getting chances, and then not even getting involved in the play. I don't want to see that happen to Wellman.
How many scoring chances is he exactly supposed to be creating? From what I hear on the radio (as I am often delivering while the Wild play) the announcers seem to say that Wellman got off another good shot. Which in my mind, at least, means that it had a chance to go in. No it's not a save where the goalie had to make a sprawling save but a shot that could have easily snuck by the goalie.

While I don't disagree with most of your post, one always has to remember that Wellman =/= Sheppard.

Old
11-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He basically had none for the first 7 games and had a couple in one of the last two games. I'm not saying he is Sheppard, I'm just saying I don't want his confidence to get ruined like Shep's.

The other thing I'm seeing from Wellman is that his scoring chances basically come on the rush, usually 1-on-1 while he's got a bit of a step on the D-man. He's not really cycling the puck with his linemates or getting/creating one-timers. A lot like Cullen, he's on an island out there.

Old
11-17-2010, 05:40 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Scandella's only been up because of injury and suspension and I wouldn't be surprised to see be sent back down after tonight's game.
Hm? He was called up with a healthy Falk, Barker, Burns, Schultz, Stoner, and Zanon. That's 6 d-men. They wanted to send a message to Falk, so they brought Scandella up. Was not injury or suspension.

I do expect him to be sent down, because its either him or Falk, and Falk's 2 years more experienced pro-wise, and made the team out of camp.

Old
11-17-2010, 05:42 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Scandella was called up with the intention of being placed in Zidlicky's role... Hence, he was called up due to injury.

Edit; Also, Barker was spotty as well. I suspect Scandella will be sent back down tomorrow.

Old
11-17-2010, 05:49 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Hm? He was called up with a healthy Falk, Barker, Burns, Schultz, Stoner, and Zanon. That's 6 d-men. They wanted to send a message to Falk, so they brought Scandella up. Was not injury or suspension.

I do expect him to be sent down, because its either him or Falk, and Falk's 2 years more experienced pro-wise, and made the team out of camp.
He was called up because Zidlicky was injured and has played because half the blue line was in the doghouse (Falk, Barker and Stoner) or suspended (Burns). That would be called up because of injury and staying due to Burns' suspension.

Old
11-17-2010, 06:58 PM
saywut

Quote:
He was called up because Zidlicky was injured and has played because half the blue line was in the doghouse (Falk, Barker and Stoner) or suspended (Burns). That would be called up because of injury and staying due to Burns' suspension.
You're just proving my point there though. He was called up because of ineffective play from our guys(along with stellar play from himself in Houston), not because of injury(yes Zidlicky was injured, but we had 6 healthy d-man, and Zidlicky was day-to-day). Won't really matter after tonight though.

Old
11-17-2010, 07:02 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Okay we have to quit agreeing on everything other than the semantics.

Old
11-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Hagged

Seems like Granlund is suffering of a quite severe PCS. Over a month now and hear-say says that he's not recovering at least as fast as some hoped for. Hopefully the symptoms go away within a year. In some cases they can be life long. Of course, this is only the worst case scenario, and a quite impossible one also in this case, when the concussion itself wasn't that bad. I heard that he even continued playing the game where he got injured.

Old
11-19-2010, 04:49 PM
modano

Unbelievable save by Endras in an international game last week (3 on 0 situation):

It's not 100% smooth but it's the only video of it.

Old
11-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Generic User
From Concentrate.

If there were a "Like" button of HFBoards, I would click it for that video. I also love the German announcers in slow motion at the end.

Old
11-19-2010, 05:47 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
Seems like Granlund is suffering of a quite severe PCS. Over a month now and hear-say says that he's not recovering at least as fast as some hoped for. Hopefully the symptoms go away within a year. In some cases they can be life long. Of course, this is only the worst case scenario, and a quite impossible one also in this case, when the concussion itself wasn't that bad. I heard that he even continued playing the game where he got injured.
man...thanks for the update I guess. Not good news at all. Besides the obviously #1 most important issue here (his health) this will undoubtedly hurt the Wild--this goes on too much longer and it will delay his entry into north american hockey (Wild or Aeros). Most of us were hoping he'd be over here in some capacity next season but the longer he sits out over there the worse his chances of playing over here get.

Old
11-19-2010, 08:41 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
That's not good for Granlund nor the Minnesota organization.

Old
11-19-2010, 09:32 PM
BigT2002

Granlund will be okay

Old
11-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Engebretson
I WANT HOLYFIELD!!!!

vCash: 1000
Haula had 2 assists last night for the Gophers and Zucker had a goal and an assist for Denver. Looks like they're both adjusting pretty well to the NCAA as freshmen. At least we have some good news from our prospects while Granlund is on the shelf.

Old
11-21-2010, 08:56 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Posted this on the Avs board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Hey guys.

As a Wild fan, I've been following Jason Zucker from afar being that Wild drafted him this past year. Haven't got to see a DU game yet but likely will soon with the television schedule in Minnesota. We Wild fans can see he continues to put up points, but could anyone care to give a brief report on his play to this point in the year? We'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Got these responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
He's a stud...always in the action and making things happen. A joy to watch....Wild have a good one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHockeyFan View Post
Absolutely love the kid. Not just his skill, but his heart. His effort seems to always be there... energetic and active on every shift.

To be honest, I wish Beau Bennett showed the same effort level in his shifts as Zucker does consistently.
Zucker added an empty netter last night and had 2 goals and 1 assist on the weekend. To date, he's at 14 GP, 9 G, 4 A, 13 P, and 26 PIM.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
11-21-2010, 09:21 AM
mnwildgophers

Zucker is showing early returns right now of all of the 2nd rounders this year. He could be a really good one for us.

Thanks for asking that TP! I'm excited to see how all of our guys progress, our last two drafts look pretty good right now.

Old
11-22-2010, 07:05 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I remember people complaining that we traded up to get Zucker but man, he's a good one.

Old
11-22-2010, 08:10 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
I remember people complaining that we traded up to get Zucker but man, he's a good one.
I was one of the people that didn't like the trade up. Still don't.

But I always was good with the player. We'll see if the scoring translates. In last year's WJC he just didn't scream "top scorer". This year's will be a good test for him.

Old
11-22-2010, 09:37 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
I was one of the people that didn't like the trade up. Still don't.

But I always was good with the player. We'll see if the scoring translates. In last year's WJC he just didn't scream "top scorer". This year's will be a good test for him.
He seemed more of a Clutterbuck type in the WJC, but that's only a few games, he'll be there again this year I assume?

Old
11-22-2010, 09:43 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
He seemed more of a Clutterbuck type in the WJC, but that's only a few games, he'll be there again this year I assume?
I would have to think so although in a different role than the young grinder Zucker was last year. The USNTDP usually takes care of their own; plus he's setting the WCHA on fire right now.

Old
11-22-2010, 10:08 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Oh yeah, he'll be there if able. I bet his role will to be one of the top-6 wingers.

Old
11-22-2010, 10:40 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
I would have to think so although in a different role than the young grinder Zucker was last year. The USNTDP usually takes care of their own; plus he's setting the WCHA on fire right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Oh yeah, he'll be there if able. I bet his role will to be one of the top-6 wingers.
You both basically said the same thing, and I agree that he will probably be a top-6 winger especially doing so well to start the season.

Old
11-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Engebretson
I WANT HOLYFIELD!!!!

vCash: 1000
Anybody heard anything about Cuma lately? I know he's hurt but is he rehabbing or practicing on his own?

Old
11-23-2010, 12:40 AM
SphinX
YouWantSome?

Yeah, how is he?

Closed Thread