HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Senators speaking with Flyers about a Centre

Old
06-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Dean Vernon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron delle View Post
A typical response from a Sens fan...we want everything and will give up a 6th and 7th round pick to get it...

Actually...when you really think about it...valuable assets (an oxymoron for a Sens fan) what do you really have...
You can replace Sens with any other team in the league and that statement would remain true

Dean Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrass View Post
The sens would be interested in Carter, not Briere. They want size up the middle, not a tiny winger, despite his scoring prowess. Cowen is the sens future premiere shutdown D - he's not being traded.
For the Flyers to even consider trading Jeff Carter, Bryan Murray better get a case of K-Y Jelly ready.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron delle View Post
A typical response from a Sens fan...we want everything and will give up a 6th and 7th round pick to get it...
...What? When did I say that?

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Work on those reading comprehension skills...I said a trade based on Fisher and Carter. So yeah, Sens would have to add...but those would be the base pieces.
Why would Flyers want Fisher for Carter period?

Carter is worth at least 3 1st round picks. With out Fisher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I can't believe how quick some Flyers fans are in terms of wanting to run Briere out of town. When he was moved back to center in the playoffs, he was our BEST forward. I think it's safe to say that Laviolette and company have realized that his best position is at center and to not use him there is a waste.

Besides, we all know it's Blair Betts that the Senaturds are interested in......lol
Bobby, no on eis running anyone out of town. Cap room for the next 3-4 years. Goalies for the next 3-4 years.

Briere won't be given away for nothing.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 06-30-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BobbyClarkeFan16

I can't believe how quick some Flyers fans are in terms of wanting to run Briere out of town. When he was moved back to center in the playoffs, he was our BEST forward. I think it's safe to say that Laviolette and company have realized that his best position is at center and to not use him there is a waste.

Besides, we all know it's Blair Betts that the Senaturds are interested in......lol

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Bryz4shiz

Karlsson for Briere

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Snotbubbles

Quote:

ARGUABLEY our best offensive forward.

In the defensive end he might have been the worst forward.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Oh god... just when I thought all of this Carter speculation was put to rest. Holmer has said time and time again he is not going to trade him. And people need to realize Briere has a NMC for the remainder of his contract (5 years) and after his incredible playoff run, do you really expect him to waive it?

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:24 AM
dawkins121

Quote:

In 2-3 years Briere will be a giant salary cap albatross who's play will rapdily decline with age while his enourmous cap hit remains the same. If you can offload him now, while his value is highest since he was a free agent, you do it and invest his cap hit elsewhere. Just gotta hope that someone like Carter can step it up in the playoffs to pick up the slack.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:25 AM
2Claude2Giroux

Yet when he's healthy, he's one of the best defensive forwards we have. Everyone seems to think he's a lazy floater on offense and that he doesn't try on defense but that's not true.

I'd probably start at Regin and 2 first rounders for Carter and then add one more piece.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Captain_Cunney

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Flyers in need of topline wingers? The only way I see the Sens sniffing around is if they are moving Spezza to another team in a 3 way deal.

To Ott:
Carter

To Team X:
Spezza

To Phi:
1st line winger
or
top 6 winger/starting goalie

Senschirp has been wrong more than he's been right lately, I wouldnt' put much stock into it.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Flyersguru

If your dealing with the Flyers, all deals start with Karlsson.

Don't like it, hang up the phone.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:32 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Briere is getting an unfair shake around here. As much as I don't like him, I am grudgingly going to admit that he is a very good player and that the Flyers are better off keeping him. The team has misused him for a few seasons now by hoping he could play wing, and hopefully that will change next season. Having three lines centered by Richards/Carter/Briere is an awesome problem to have.

The only bump in that road is that Giroux is also looking to be a good center. To be honest, the only center on the Flyers that is even possible to move is Carter but he'd take a king's ransom to pry away.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
neutral zone trap13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
As a sabres fan, seeing briere in a senators jersey would make me physically ill.
As a sens fan, seeing Briere's salary on our cap hit would make me ill

neutral zone trap13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
A trade based around Fisher and Carter would be good for mixing up the culture of both teams.
The Flyers just went to the Cup Final. I don't think a "culture" mixup is a top priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrass View Post
The sens would be interested in Carter, not Briere
What exactly do the Sens have to offer for Carter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Barley View Post
Foligno + Lehner for Giroux
Non-starter. Lehner doesn't help us now, and we downgrade at forward.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:34 AM
neutral zone trap13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Flyers in need of topline wingers? The only way I see the Sens sniffing around is if they are moving Spezza to another team in a 3 way deal.

To Ott:
Carter

To Team X:
Spezza

To Phi:
1st line winger
or
top 6 winger/starting goalie

Senschirp has been wrong more than he's been right lately, I wouldnt' put much stock into it.
Id rather have Spezza

neutral zone trap13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Midas0
Only the best Scouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post

Don't like it, hang up the phone.
ok there holmgren.

Midas0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:42 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Hell no. Fisher scored 50pts once in his career. Sens better add some serious talent to take overpaid Fisher off their hands.
If Briere can't even outscore the overpaid Fisher in the regular season, when Fisher gets paid a lot less and has a hell of a lot more in terms of intangibles, no way in hell I'd make that trade.

It'll take more than a good playoffs to make Briere a valuable commodity. 33 year old, undersized, soft, one-dimensional, huge contract. No way in hell I'd trade Fisher and Cowen for that. Carter is the only centre (aside from the obvious one Richards) I'd have any interest in.

Nice to see a loss in the Cup finals after squaking into the playoffs on the last day has turned all Flyers assets into gold, and apparently ruined whatever assets the Sens had.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral zone trap13 View Post
Id rather have Spezza
I would also, it's just the only way I could see it playing out. There is no way Ottawa can have to 5,000,000+ centres under their current salary structure.

Quote:
It makes sense value wise but asking for Karlson is a non-starter, he's off limits.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Vernon View Post
I say Regin for Giroux +

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
If Briere can't even outscore the overpaid Fisher in the regular season, when Fisher gets paid a lot less and has a hell of a lot more in terms of intangibles, no way in hell I'd make that trade.

It'll take more than a good playoffs to make Briere a valuable commodity. 33 year old, undersized, one-dimensional, huge contract. No way in hell I'd trade Fisher and Cowen for that. Carter is the only centre (aside from the obvious one Richards) I'd have any interest in.
Are you ****ing nuts?

I would take Briere over Fisher any day of the week.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Didn't he break even while having teh worse NHL season while Fisher had the best lol. And it wasn't just one good playoff run.

Quote:
It'll take more than a good playoffs to make Briere a valuable commodity. 33 year old, undersized, one-dimensional, huge contract. No way in hell I'd trade Fisher and Cowen for that. Carter is the only centre (aside from the obvious one Richards) I'd have any interest in.
Well, good luck on UFA market then.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:47 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Michalek + some D prospect?
I'm thinking Leclaire + one of our bluechip D prospects for Carter. But there's likely nothing to this rumour. Philly could do better than Leclaire in the goalie market.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
It makes sense value wise but asking for Karlson is a non-starter, he's off limits.
Well then, Ottawa should realize that Carter is a non-starter. We're not giving up a player we don't want to (Carter) unless the Sens are willing to do the same (Karlsson).

I agree the Sens wouldn't move Karlsson, but if he's not on the table, exactly what incentive do the Flyers have to move Carter? The answer is obvious.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:49 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:

It'll take more than a good playoffs to make Briere a valuable commodity. 33 year old, undersized, soft, one-dimensional, huge contract. No way in hell I'd trade Fisher and Cowen for that. Carter is the only centre (aside from the obvious one Richards) I'd have any interest in.

Nice to see a loss in the Cup finals after squaking into the playoffs on the last day has turned all Flyers assets into gold, and apparently ruined whatever assets the Sens had.
By all accounts, the Flyers had a tumultuous season and pretty much every player had a weak season offensively. You should also note that Briere had no steady role on the lineup and was getting mixed with a ton of players and thrown into a ton of different positions. He got steady time at center with regular linemates in the playoffs and the results speak for themselves.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote