HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Souray to Blues for Brewer and King (McKenzie/Strickland)

Old
06-30-2010, 12:33 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBrother View Post
I would do this! Souray has a very powerful shot, and he is left handed ( on pp with EJ, you do the math. ) He has awful contract + he is always injured, but still... Brewer isn't really my favourite... I could give a try for this from a Blues perspective!!! changes, PLEASE!!
The only reason people think he has an awful contract is because of the injuries. He doesn't have a bad contract and injury issues, he has a somewhat inflated contracted BECAUSE OF injury issues, ha ha. When healthy, Souray is a top 10 offensive d-man in the league.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 732
I like this move because I like the idea of defense playing defense. Souray is more offensively minded than Brewer is. Our forwards next year will be good enough to get the offensive job done, now we just need defensemen good enough to get the defensive job done.

Ovechking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:52 PM
dookers9

Interesting that McKenzie states that Brewer hasn't been asked to waive his NTC. It'd be worthwhile being a fly on the wall for that conversation. While Brewer was an Oiler, he was notoriously labeled as the team's whipping boy for media and fans alike. It's not rare for Oilers fans to boo players who're no longer wearing the copper and blue, but as a season ticket holder I've found it very rare that fans will openly boo current players unlike in several other markets.

Brewer returning would mean revisiting it all. And truth is, I never thought he was THAT bad while here. But reading about Blues fans thoughts on moving him, evidently he'd dropped the ball in St Louis as well somehow. I know he was often injured... what else was the deal? Like Shawn Horcoff, was Brewer a victim of an overpriced contract that he simply couldn't live up to?

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Juice

I think oiler fans have known about this one for awhile now. Bob Stauffer is pretty connected to the team and he said don't be surprised if this deal goes down, and that was over a week ago.

Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:00 PM
HemskyToHall*

I love the way King fights and Brewer could possibly be good again when he plays for his old team.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:02 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
Interesting that McKenzie states that Brewer hasn't been asked to waive his NTC. It'd be worthwhile being a fly on the wall for that conversation. While Brewer was an Oiler, he was notoriously labeled as the team's whipping boy for media and fans alike. It's not rare for Oilers fans to boo players who're no longer wearing the copper and blue, but as a season ticket holder I've found it very rare that fans will openly boo current players unlike in several other markets.

Brewer returning would mean revisiting it all. And truth is, I never thought he was THAT bad while here. But reading about Blues fans thoughts on moving him, evidently he'd dropped the ball in St Louis as well somehow. I know he was often injured... what else was the deal? Like Shawn Horcoff, was Brewer a victim of an overpriced contract that he simply couldn't live up to?
That, along with the fact that he was the center piece in the Chris Pronger deal.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:05 PM
rockinghockey

What type of player is King any way. What would he bring to the Oilers.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:06 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Awful trade. While Souray could bounce back, Brewer has been useless for years.
Wow...

The Oilers don't care if Souray turns into a Pronger for one year. They need to get rid of him. Brewer only has 1 year left on his deal. Souray has two.

Souray had freak injuries last year. He got slew footed for his big one at the start of the year and ran into the boards hard.

He injured his wrist on Iginlas head at the end of the year as well.

I think he will thrive this season wherever he goes.

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:06 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
What type of player is King any way. What would he bring to the Oilers.
He's one of the top fighters in the league, just look him up on youtube. Outside of that, he's not a terrible hockey player. To be honest, I'd much rather keep him than Cam Janssen.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:22 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I'd be incredibly happy with this move. With Brewer/Smid for a second pairing I don't think we'd need to go out and land a 2nd pairing d-man, would we? Actually... I don't think we'd need to go out and get a d-man at all!

Is it possible that we won't need to go out and get any free agents at all?!

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Hall-Gagner-Eberle
MPS-Cogliano-Brule
JFJ-Fraser-Stortini

Whitney-Gilbert
Brewer-Smid
Chorney-Peckam/Plante

Bulinwall
JDD

If the miracle of a healthy season goes down for the Oilers, we'll be the most improved team in the league IMO.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:24 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Axis View Post
That, along with the fact that he was the center piece in the Chris Pronger deal.
Exactly. So it's less about what he did or didn't do on the ice as far as actual play goes. More about having been labeled as "not enough" from the start in the Pronger deal. Plus, it's a relatively high contract he carries for relatively few points. Again, like Horcoff, this means more pressure and more criticism when inevitably not living up to it.

It's a bit of a racket, really, and more a sign of an over-evaluation by a GM.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:31 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
Exactly. So it's less about what he did or didn't do on the ice as far as actual play goes. More about having been labeled as "not enough" from the start in the Pronger deal. Plus, it's a relatively high contract he carries for relatively few points. Again, like Horcoff, this means more pressure and more criticism when inevitably not living up to it.

It's a bit of a racket, really, and more a sign of an over-evaluation by a GM.
Giving him the 'C' was the last nail in the coffin though, people who hated him to begin with were just outraged. It's basically the people who didn't like him to start with, never will, and just hate him even more as the team kept supporting and rewarding him. And then everyone else.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:32 PM
the word*

This trade will look pretty bad if Souray pots 20+ next season and it will look terrible if he can stay healthy for the next two seasons. His game hasn't regressed at all, if anything, when healthy, hes playing the best hockey of his career. Question is, can he stay healthy. That's the only gamble.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:36 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
This trade will look pretty bad if Souray pots 20+ next season and it will look terrible if he can stay healthy for the next two seasons. His game hasn't regressed at all, if anything, when healthy, hes playing the best hockey of his career. Question is, can he stay healthy. That's the only gamble.
Except Souray doesn't want to play in Edmonton, and so no need to be worrying about what he's gonna do on another team, much less your rebuilding one that doesn't need goals on the back end when you're still adding high end prospects to the team each season.

Think of it this way, he'd be a cancer until he gets out, a poor mentor even if he didn't, and the obvious; that's 5 mil in cap when next years UFA market is actually worth looking at.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:36 PM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I'd be incredibly happy with this move. With Brewer/Smid for a second pairing I don't think we'd need to go out and land a 2nd pairing d-man, would we? Actually... I don't think we'd need to go out and get a d-man at all!

Is it possible that we won't need to go out and get any free agents at all?!

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Hall-Gagner-Eberle
MPS-Cogliano-Brule
JFJ-Fraser-Stortini

Whitney-Gilbert
Brewer-Smid
Chorney-Peckam/Plante

Bulinwall
JDD

If the miracle of a healthy season goes down for the Oilers, we'll be the most improved team in the league IMO.
add in omark, DJ king (assuming he is included in trade) and comrie and the oilers would actually have depth at forward

that's the most realistic lineup i have seen for the oilers yet and it's actually pretty good

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Paralyzer008

I don't think this would happen, its just an interesting rumor, nothing in the works. Although it's not bad for both teams.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:46 PM
icechips

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Axis View Post
Sounds familiar...can you say Joffery Lupul

icechips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:51 PM
kej3210

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post
I hope not, St.louis doesn't need any more injury prone players....Let's just wait this year out.
Am I mistaken or has Brewer not been plagued by injury in St. Louis too? Only reason Edmonton does this is to get that big money contract off the books one season sooner and St. Louis would recieve quite an upgrade especially if they are going to make a push for the postseason.

kej3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
add in omark...
I know you're not proposing to add Linus Omark to the trade proposal... but that's the guy I really want from Edmointon if the Blues get anyone from there.

I'm indifferent to Souray, and honestly think the Blues would be better served with one year of a big contract (Brewer) than two years of a big contract (Souray) for players that, when healthy, are similar.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Prussian_Blue

Also, I reflexively question anything Andy Strickland says. He's been used before by the Blues to do nothing more than float rumours just so the Blues can gauge probable public reaction to a move.

There are a lot of people here who would gladly take a used puck bag and a dozen unwashed jockstraps for Brewer, but I have a feeling that the Blues hold him in just a little more esteem than that.

A left-handed puck-moving defenseman is a need for the Blues, however, and trading Brewer's contract for Souray's is essentially a wash for this season, so this move wouldn't necessarily take the Blues out of the Kovalchuk sweepstakes all by itself.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I know you're not proposing to add Linus Omark to the trade proposal... but that's the guy I really want from Edmointon if the Blues get anyone from there.

I'm indifferent to Souray, and honestly think the Blues would be better served with one year of a big contract (Brewer) than two years of a big contract (Souray) for players that, when healthy, are similar.

From an outsider's perspective - I think that Souray has a lot more to offer than Brewer. I realize he's under contract for one more year - but I think he's got a signficantly better chance of contributing to the team than Brewer.

I actually feel sorry for Brewer. When he came back last year I thought I remember reading that he didn't have full feeling in his leg from the hip/back injury, but gutted it out.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:10 PM
ty99

This wouldn't be the best deal for the Oilers in theory, but it would be good enough in reality.
Who cares what Souray does next year as long as he does it somewhere else.
If Brewer plays well, good. If he doesn't, oh well, he's off the books next year and probably worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick at the deadline.
This would get Souray out for one year less cap hit. If DJ King is included, even better, we get our fighter.

ty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:27 PM
rigger

I want Lynch and Wowyitka to.

Actually, the Oilers needs at defence over the next few years will be shutdown guys who can move the puck to the forwards with outlet passes.

The forwards will be able to score, the defence just have to get it out of the zone, and I think Brewer can do that pretty well.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:34 PM
frankielax

I would really prefer to avoid getting a bigger contract worth more money. Souray may be a better player than Brewer, but not worth 5 mil+ for 2 years. Just wait out the year with Brewer then move on or trade him for any salary dump and sign an FA or 2.

Hope this doesn't happen.

frankielax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankielax View Post
I would really prefer to avoid getting a bigger contract worth more money. Souray may be a better player than Brewer, but not worth 5 mil+ for 2 years. Just wait out the year with Brewer then move on or trade him for any salary dump and sign an FA or 2.

Hope this doesn't happen.
They make the exact same amount in real dollars next year. Unless St.Louis is planning on spending to the cap, they are getting a better player for equal money.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote