HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Messier on WFAN this morning

Old
06-30-2010, 10:05 AM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
Messier on WFAN this morning

Question: Is it fair to say you don't like Tortorella?

Answer: "I like Tortorella, I think he's a great coach. I don't think there are many guys who could have coached this team to the success we had last year."

Future GM or Future Mental Patient???

Edit: The interview is available on wfan.com, however it mostly talks about when Messier came to NY and how it relates to Lebron maybe wanting to come as well.

Last edited by MSG the place to be*: 06-30-2010 at 10:48 AM.
MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:08 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Was he laughing?

By the way I am of the camp that FULLY EXPECTS Messier to be the next GM of the NY Rangers. It will be Sathers final move....

I also think he earned a shot. He said he'd win the cup. He delivered. He says "I will be a great GM", he gets the opportunity.

I am intriqued to see what a franchise led by Messier would look like, be expected to play like, evolve into....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:09 AM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
either mess is delusional or he needs to raise the bar on what he deems successful.

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post

Answer: "I like Tortorella, I think he's a great coach. I don't think there are many guys who could have coached this team to the success we had last year."

Sounds like he's laying the blame on the right person, Glen Sather...Which kind of shocks me. Sather gave him a mish mosh of players and said make this work. It didnt but torts coach this awful roster to 1 point within the playoffs.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OverTheCap

I think he's right concerning the fact that there are not many coaches that could have coached the team to success last year.

Does that mean Messier will be a good GM? Not at all.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

what else did he say?

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Was that the only question they asked him?

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Not for nothing but what did you think he was going to say, "I hate the guy"? No, he's going to say all the right politically correct things.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:16 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
It's on WFAN's website if you want to listen.

I just started listening... all they've asked him about is Lebron James so far. I'm a few minutes in.

EDIT: Halfway through the interview, still only about Lebron and why Messier came to NY (relating that to convincing Lebron to come).

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:16 AM
ogie

Quote:

what is he supposed to say ? he is an employee of the NYRangers he can't just go off and bad mouth the teams coach. Once he is the GM ..then he can bad mouth the coach. Until then he bites his lip and is a team player.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Levitate

that's a stupid question.

has messier ever indicated he doesn't like Tortorella?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

this carton guy is a total a$$

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:23 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan_79 View Post
either mess is delusional or he needs to raise the bar on what he deems successful.
Did you even look into the context of the quote? Mess was saying that he didn't think another coach would have even gotten us to where we were...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:24 AM
azrok22

Ok: 2/3 of the way into the interview they've finally gone to Rangers. They asked him (verbatim):

Q: Will Shelley be re-signed?
A: Hard to say, they're in the middle of it now. Great team player. Great guy. Want to bring him back. [Hosts urged him to re-sign Shelley, to which he responded again that Sather was working on it and it was urgent given the timing.]

Q: What are we going to do with Gaborik? How does Gaborik not shoot in the shootout against the Flyers?
A: Gabs was the sole reason that the Rangers were close to the playoffs (then backtracked, not sole reason).

Q: As a guy who played for Keenan, what do you think of Torts? You don't like him right? [EDIT: the question couldn't have been more loaded if they tried; total hate for Torts by the questioner - Messier really couldn't have answered any other way, imo.]
A: Likes Torts. Think he's a great coach. Not a lot of guys could coach the team to the success we had last year. Demanding, but he's won before... coaching is not an easy profession... has a lot of respect for Torts and no problem with him coaching this team.

Q: Do you ever see yourself coaching?
A: Could be very satisfying... turning young guys into professionals... won't rule out anything.

Then they turned toward asking him if he'd like to join their softball team.

EDIT: So if you're not a Knicks fan and are listening, skip 2/3 of the way in to avoid the Lebron questions.

Old
06-30-2010, 10:25 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Boomers a good fan... he's got to get something for us

Old
06-30-2010, 10:27 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

They don't ask about Kovalchuk?

weird

Old
06-30-2010, 10:28 AM
azrok22

Hockey was definitely an afterthought during the interview. Went like this:

Lebron
Lebron
Lebron
Lebron
Lebron
Lebron
Rangers
Rangers
Softball

I hate NY sports radio. If you want to talk basketball, call up Patrick Ewing.

Old
06-30-2010, 10:29 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
what is he supposed to say ? he is an employee of the NYRangers he can't just go off and bad mouth the teams coach. Once he is the GM ..then he can bad mouth the coach. Until then he bites his lip and is a team player.
It wasn't a hard hitting interview trying to analyze the 2009-2010 NYR. Mess could have said anything as long as it made sense. What he said was just not sensible and I'm surprised Carton didnt say "what the hell are you talking about, the Rangers sucked."

How about Mess just say...

Mess: "We struggled last year but Tortorella brought along a few rookies very nicely like Michael Del Zotto who was just named to the all-rookie team. Our other young players also took the next step like Marc Staal who is becoming a star and Ryan Callahan who is becoming a real leader and represented the US in the olympics. We are gonna continue to develop the youth and rely on Torts to build a winning team."

The question wasnt even asking him to analyze the job Torts did. Carton just was taking a shot at Torts like he usually does, thats why the question was posed as a leading question. Mess just gave a strange answer.

Old
06-30-2010, 10:30 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
that's a stupid question.

has messier ever indicated he doesn't like Tortorella?
This is what I want to know. It just seems totally out of nowhere.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:32 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Maybe Sather said "no Kovalchuk questions". Just go on and Dance...just mention the Lebrahn guy or this Jaba fellow and you'll be a hit

Old
06-30-2010, 10:33 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
It wasn't a hard hitting interview trying to analyze the 2009-2010 NYR. Mess could have said anything as long as it made sense. What he said was just not sensible and I'm surprised Carton didnt say "what the hell are you talking about, the Rangers sucked."

How about Mess just say...

Mess: "We struggled last year but Tortorella brought along a few rookies very nicely like Michael Del Zotto who was just named to the all-rookie team. Our other young players also took the next step like Marc Staal who is becoming a star and Ryan Callahan who is becoming a real leader and represented the US in the olympics. We are gonna continue to develop the youth and rely on Torts to build a winning team."

The question wasnt even asking him to analyze the job Torts did. Carton just was taking a shot at Torts like he usually does, thats why the question was posed as a leading question. Mess just gave a strange answer.
Mess probably just wanted to end the discussion since he knows Carton would bait him further.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:36 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Hockey was definitely an afterthought during the interview. Went like this:

Lebron
Lebron
Lebron
Lebron
Lebron
Lebron
Rangers
Rangers
Softball

I hate NY sports radio. If you want to talk basketball, call up Patrick Ewing.

Boomer and Carton provide great, often hilarious, radio. They self-proclaim that they dont "break down sports" like the mid day show and Francesa's afternoon show. They try to have fun and provide entertainment. Carton is not a hockey fan. Boomer has Rangers season tickets and attends frequently but I wouldnt call him extremely knowledgeable.

If you haven't been paying attention, Messier has been part of the whole promotional push by MSG/Knicks/Dolan/Walsh to get Lebron to come to NY.

Once again if your looking for a scouting report of Dylan McIlrath your not gonna get it in a million years listening to B & C but that doesnt mean its a bad interview. Their target audience isnt HFBoards' Rangers fans.

Old
06-30-2010, 10:39 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Boomer and Carton provide great, often hilarious, radio. They self-proclaim that they dont "break down sports" like the mid day show and Francesa's afternoon show. They try to have fun and provide entertainment. Carton is not a hockey fan. Boomer has Rangers season tickets and attends frequently but I wouldnt call him extremely knowledgeable.

If you haven't been paying attention, Messier has been part of the whole promotional push by MSG/Knicks/Dolan/Walsh to get Lebron to come to NY.

Once again if your looking for a scouting report of Dylan McIlrath your not gonna get it in a million years listening to B & C but that doesnt mean its a bad interview. Their target audience isnt HFBoards' Rangers fans.
Carton is the typical "LOOK AT HOW EDGY I AM" unfunny, attention grabbing radio guy. It's like he was created from a template.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:40 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

Well and good, but NHL Free agency begins tomorrow at Noon

Old
06-30-2010, 10:42 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Well and good, but NHL Free agency begins tomorrow at Noon
Guess the percentage of radio listeners who care?

Not the same as the percentage of HF users who care I'll put it that way.