HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier on WFAN this morning

Old
06-30-2010, 11:44 AM
azrok22

vCash: 500
Fair enough. I just went in expecting a hockey interview. I rarely listen to WFAN, and only sought out this interview because it was posted here and I expected more hockey content.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:27 PM
xander

Boomer and Carton are just the worst. It's unfortunate that they occasionally interview anyone of note. Carton is a combination of the worst poster on an internet message board and the worst caller on WFAN: short sighted, reactionary, intellectually lazy, and completely unaware of how unassuming his humor is. Boomer is slightly better, but he plays down to Carton's level in order to complete the other's act.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:42 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Boomer and Carton are just the worst. It's unfortunate that they occasionally interview anyone of note. Carton is a combination of the worst poster on an internet message board and the worst caller on WFAN: short sighted, reactionary, intellectually lazy, and completely unaware of how unassuming his humor is. Boomer is slightly better, but he plays down to Carton's level in order to complete the other's act.
Im a fan. Their ratings speak for themselves. Much better than Imus did and much better than the competition in the morning drive. Hard to argue against the show with how successful they have been.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:10 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Im a fan. Their ratings speak for themselves. Much better than Imus did and much better than the competition in the morning drive. Hard to argue against the show with how successful they have been.
The Twilight movies make a lot of money, that doesn't make them good.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:43 PM
xander

Quote:
Ratings indicate popularity, not quality. There must be a whole lot of people out there that found "Everybody Loves Raymond" funny, but I've never met one of them and the knowledge that somebody finds this amusing doesn't stop me from wanting to hurl the remote at the screen whenever it comes on. Obviously, my opinions are my own.

I was an Imus fan. The thing about Imus is that he never masqueraded as a sports guy. His sporting opinions were asinine and he more or less admitted it. He was a grumpy, surely, old man and that is all he ever professed to be. And I found him funny. Boomer and Carton want you to think they're knowledgeable sports guys (and you have to figure that Boomer is on some level because of his experience alone), but in reality they never go deeper than repackaging the prevailing opinion of the city's sports writers in a more ridiculous fashion. They're shallow and sensationalist; it's dumb radio that isn't particularly funny.

Last edited by xander: 06-30-2010 at 03:06 PM.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
The Twilight movies make a lot of money, that doesn't make them good.
touche.

i actually watched the first one. i thought my eyes were going to melt.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

If you're listening to Boomer and Carton and expecting an in-depth sports show, then I don't know what you're doing in the first place.

It's enough sports to get you in, and it's pretty entertaining otherwise.

Probably the most listenable show on that network anyways, in both a positive and negative way.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:36 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
They don't ask about Kovalchuk?

weird
Isn't that tampering if Messier answers it? Either way, really don't wanna see him as our GM

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:40 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Boomer and Carton provide great, often hilarious, radio. They self-proclaim that they dont "break down sports" like the mid day show and Francesa's afternoon show. They try to have fun and provide entertainment. Carton is not a hockey fan. Boomer has Rangers season tickets and attends frequently but I wouldnt call him extremely knowledgeable.

If you haven't been paying attention, Messier has been part of the whole promotional push by MSG/Knicks/Dolan/Walsh to get Lebron to come to NY.

Once again if your looking for a scouting report of Dylan McIlrath your not gonna get it in a million years listening to B & C but that doesnt mean its a bad interview. Their target audience isnt HFBoards' Rangers fans.
i usually listen to their show on the way to work, unfortunately today i went with the iPod instead....damn

anyway...Boomer likes hockey and the rangers, but deson't really know much about it, also he HATES him some Torts

it kinda bothers me when guys who don't know jack publiclly make comments like that, but im pretty sure thats one of the fundamental princicples that forums like this were founded upon so i guess i can complain, as i too am guilty

im still on the fence about whether or not i like the show....carton's an ass but can be funny and boomer is pretty much a d-bag but has some interesting insight from time to time

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:43 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Isn't that tampering if Messier answers it? Either way, really don't wanna see him as our GM

He doesnt have to say they gave his wife a tour of Scarsdale. Not that this happened

The Rangers do have needs to be filled, presumably in part by tomorrows Free Agent Frenzy.

I don't know maybe I'm wrong, maybe you say nothing about any of the UFAs that are not your own. Technically Shelley is still a Ranger right?

Why have Mess on the day before free agency? Why not tomorrow or Friday?

06-30-2010, 03:57 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
He doesnt have to say they gave his wife a tour of Scarsdale. Not that this happened

The Rangers do have needs to be filled, presumably in part by tomorrows Free Agent Frenzy.

I don't know maybe I'm wrong, maybe you say nothing about any of the UFAs that are not your own. Technically Shelley is still a Ranger right?

Why have Mess on the day before free agency? Why not tomorrow or Friday?
I don't understand why he'd answer it anyway. I wouldn't want to let other teams know I had an interest in a certain player.

Shelleys NYRs property until noon tomorrow therefore Messier or Sather or anyone in the organization can discuss him and any contract offers on the table.

But it is technically tampering to say you have interest in Kovalchuk and it's pointless to notify other teams of it.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:14 PM
haveandare

I agree with Mess, Torts did a good job with a pretty crappy roster most of the year. Lets not forget Higgins and Kotalik.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
Quote:
Question: Is it fair to say you don't like Tortorella?

Answer: "I like Tortorella, I think he's a great coach. I don't think there are many guys who could have coached this team to the success we had last year."

Future GM or Future Mental Patient???

Edit: The interview is available on wfan.com, however it mostly talks about when Messier came to NY and how it relates to Lebron maybe wanting to come as well.
What else could of he of said? Would you really call out your team's coach and say "Yeah, I hate him" on a live broadcast, where EVERYBODY can hear? He had no choice to say that, regardless if he likes him or not.
Thats like asking if Glen Sather is a good GM. Of course he'd say yes.

NYRangers4Life1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:59 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Not for nothing but what did you think he was going to say, "I hate the guy"? No, he's going to say all the right politically correct things.
I know right. Gezz people.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:18 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Only sports talk radio I listen to is NHL radio on Sirius.

It costs money but its worth it, considering the other crap on free radio.

There are only three guys on free radio in the NYC area that care about hockey, Lagreca(spelling?), Somers(spelling?), and "Boomer". Lagreca who is a huge hockey fan has to beg Michael Kay to mention hockey in the afternoon, but he gets to be on the NHL Live show during the day. Somers is a Rangers fan(I think) and talks about them a lot during the winter. And Boomer is a season ticket holder.

NHL radio is on in my car just about 24/7. Unfortunately most of their regularly scheduled programming is off soon for the summer.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:56 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers4Life1994 View Post
What else could of he of said? Would you really call out your team's coach and say "Yeah, I hate him" on a live broadcast, where EVERYBODY can hear? He had no choice to say that, regardless if he likes him or not.
Thats like asking if Glen Sather is a good GM. Of course he'd say yes.
I answered this in an earlier post but basically the summed up version...

"Torts did a good job developing the youth and we are relying on him to continue the development as we implement more young guys in our lineup". (since sather was pushing the whole youth angle to the media this week).

If he was asked abouth Sather he could say something to the same effect as above.

done and done.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote