HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton Re-signed 2 years/3.1M ($1.55 mill cap hit)

Old
07-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It's going to be pretty exciting if Leighton reverts to previous suck and gets himself waived next year...
No worries, we have Boucher and Backlund waiting to save the day (yay?)

Plus, we have Shelley now. His skill level can pretty much get us out of any jam.

See, Homer has a plan. Its all under control.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:25 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Lets wait a few days and see. Maybe Homer is a secet genius and wants to wait until Turco is desperate and then signs him cheap and send Boucher packing whatever way he sees best.

Although after the Shelly signing I'm wondering if he is more of a "public idiot" than a "secret genius"

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Lets wait a few days and see. Maybe Homer is a secet genius and wants to wait until Turco is desperate and then signs him cheap and send Boucher packing whatever way he sees best.
Honestly, I hope this happens, because its about the only thing that can salvage this offseason.

Of course, there's still the cap mess he added to for next offseason, but I digress.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Honestly, I hope this happens, because its about the only thing that can salvage this offseason.

Of course, there's still the cap mess he added to for next offseason, but I digress.
If Turco wants to win a cup before he retires then Philly makes alot of sense. I wonder if Holmgren low-balling him prior to July 1 is really going to help our cause, or if it just pissed Turco off to the point of not wanting to play here.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:42 AM
0range and Black

Dallas was the 97 point #5 seed in '04
Turco went 1-4 with a 3.32 GAA and a .849%

Dallas was the 112 point #2 seed in '06
Turco went 1-4 with a 3.39 GAA and a .868%

Sure he was great in '07 and very good in '03 and '08 but he is 35 and never was Bernie Parent.

You will spit in Leighton's face to get that guy for 2x or 2.5x the money?

Before you give Brion a medal for going 2-4 against Pittsburgh in '09:
Remember he gave home ice to them with his 80 foot stroll/ gift to Crosby.

In '08 Biron was slightly better than Huet,
anyone was better than Price
and he was outplayed by Fleury.
The league as a whole ranks him as a nobody backup now.

Leighton outplayed Rask.
Leighton outplayed Halak.
He was a bit worse than Niemi and that made us the #2 team instead of the #25 where we were headed.

I happened to enjoy that playoff run.
I like our chances with him next year.

Saying he sucks is about as valid as throwing up line combinations without Briere, Leino, and Hartnell together. What the heck where you watching from April to June?

0range and Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:16 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0range and Black View Post
Saying he sucks is about as valid as throwing up line combinations without Briere, Leino, and Hartnell together. What the heck where you watching from April to June?
Explain the rest of his career then.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:20 AM
Sanders418777

Quote:
He tripped over a curb back in 99 and sprained his ankle.... it just healed.

Sanders418777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:22 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:

Leighton outplayed Rask.
He was a bit worse than Niemi and that made us the #2 team instead of the #25 where we were headed.

The team completely disintegrated as the months of March and April also helped a bit in giving the Pens home ice.

In '08, Biron was slightly better than Huet, yes. Remember how Huet really almost stole the series for Washington? He was ridiculous.

He was better than Price, but he and Umberger were the only reasons why we won that series, without a doubt.

Then he was outplayed by Fleury? Yeah, I'd like to see anyone win a playoff series with Derian Hatcher and Randy Jones as your top pairing.

And sure, Leighton played ridiculously well for coming off his high ankle sprain. But how much of this was due to the defense? The Pronger and Timonen pairings were practically unstoppable and whenever one of those two weren't on the ice, it seemed like the Hawks scored. I will be forever grateful for Leighton stepping in like he did, but to hint that he's a substantially better goalie than Biron is ridiculous.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:

Sure he was great in '07 and very good in '03 and '08 but he is 35 and never was Bernie Parent.

Leighton outplayed Rask.

If you honestly think Leighton outplayed Rask or Halak, then you have absolutely no idea about that which you are speaking. I'm sorry, because you're new here and that is not a particularly pleasant thing to say to someone, but it is the truth.

Also, you have high lighted stats from the ten worst play-off games of Turco's career and glossed over the other 37, where his numbers are fantastic. You are willfully ignoring the fact that Leighton was abysmal in the finals and everywhere else he has been, except for one stretch with us.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:55 PM
0range and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Also, you have high lighted stats from the ten worst play-off games of Turco's career and glossed over the other 37, where his numbers are fantastic. You are willfully ignoring the fact that Leighton was abysmal in the finals and everywhere else he has been, except for one stretch with us.
I will take 3 1/2 shutouts in 13 1/2 games.
-Miller did not shut out Boston and Krejci is not a superstar.
-Theodore/Varlamov did not shut out Montreal.
-Fleury shut out Montreal once in 7 games.

Leighton was bad in 2 games of the finals and in 1 game of the Conference finals.
Pronger was bad in 2 of those games at least.

His numbers in his other 9 playoff appearances are fantastic.
The Cup winner was a really weak goal but no one can deny that Carter put him in an OT situation.

If he gets some goal support in game 2 and Carter raises the puck in game 6; his name is on the Cup.

Turco never sniffed the finals in 7 years as a starter.
Nabakov has never sniffed the finals in his career.
Ellis is 2-4 in the playoffs.
Mason is 1-8 in the playoffs.

BTW, The Chicago team that Leighton started with was crap.
Their other goalie was Craig Anderson.
Both are quality starters on playoff teams now.

Old
07-04-2010, 04:09 PM
0range and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
If you honestly think Leighton outplayed Rask or Halak, then you have absolutely no idea about that which you are speaking.
You don't know the first thing about sports with that comment.
A pitcher, hitter, quarterback, goalie, golfer, etc OUTPLAYS their equivalent opponent without facing them directly to win.

Leighton had 3 shutouts vs Monteral and you can't admit he outplayed Halak. I am not new here (read often, lost old account) but you are clueless.

Old
07-04-2010, 04:55 PM
jb**

Quote:
The Cup winner was a really weak goal but no one can deny that Carter put him in an OT situation.

Well if he stops the Sharpe goal he wouldnt have put himself into that position. LEighton is not an NHL caliber starting goalie. He is a backup at best who ahppened to be the beneficiary of a team comong together at the rigth time and getting the perfect matchups. The will fight for a playoff spot and may not even make it if they stick with Leighton the whole year. Not hsi fault they lost as he plaeyd exactly how he ha splayed pretty much his whole career in those finals

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
A pitcher, hitter, quarterback, goalie, golfer, etc OUTPLAYS their equivalent opponent without facing them directly to win.

Leighton had 3 shutouts vs Monteral and you can't admit he outplayed Halak. I am not new here (read often, lost old account) but you are clueless.

He did in fact outplay those guys. If it were golf there'd be the handicap factor to take into consideration though. He had an easier go of it than either of those goalies. Put the team on the other foot and there's no debate.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:

If you look at stat sheets you can easily say that MFL outplayed Halak/Rask. In some capacity, sure you might be right. I would argue however, that alot of MFL's success against both of those teams was his ability to make the first save combined with our defenses ability to close down the middle and clear rebounds. Limiting the quality scoring chances.

Everyone knew that Chicago was going to get their opportunities and MFL would have to come up big. He did not. I would even say that at many times he did not look like an NHL caliber starter in those 6 games.

I am "okay" with MFL as the starter for this team for the 10-11 Season only because I currently do not have a choice. However, he needs to elevate his game. He needs to be relied upon to steal chances from the other team not just make the routine saves.

Old
07-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Jumping

Quote:
Right after you explain Tim Thomas.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
Right after you explain Tim Thomas.
Hey, look at that! It's a convenient example. Nevermind the slew of AHL-caliber goaltenders that get hot every year, only to return to their normal level of inadequacy...

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Hey, look at that! It's a convenient example. Nevermind the slew of AHL-caliber goaltenders that get hot every year, only to return to their normal level of inadequacy...
ZING!

Old
07-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:

Leighton was bad in 2 games of the finals and in 1 game of the Conference finals.

If he gets some goal support in game 2 and Carter raises the puck in game 6
; his name is on the Cup.

Now it's Carter's fault Michael Leighton **** the bed on that goal. ANd Leighton should've had more goal support (3.6 goals a game isn't enough for Brick Wall Leighton). How many excuses are you gonna make for him?

Quote:
Yeah, and? Wins are a team stat. You put Leighton on those teams and see how many wins you get.

Quote:
Craig Anderson was one of the better goalies in the league this year (been good for a few years now on two different teams actually) and had multiple brilliant games in a losing effort against the Sharks (51 save shut out comes to mind). I think it's fair to say he has established himself as being in a class above Leighton's, though I'm not sure what your point is bringing him up anyway.

Quote:

Those were team shut outs, and Halak and Leighton weren't playing on anything close to even footing in that series. A ****ing chimp in pads could've gotten a shut out with how badly the Habs got outplayed in 4 of the 5 games.

Granted, Leighton can only stop the pucks that come his way, and for three games he stopped all of them. That's great, but the one game that series where he had an opportunity to be a difference maker and carry his team, he got lit up like a Christmas tree. Because he can't stop good scoring chances even some of the time, because he sucks.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 06:08 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester;
Orange and black, forget it, those here do not want leighton, end of story! Even when he was great in the playoffs they were ripping himhere. I agree with u 100%, but I have given up on this argument. Unless you want20 posts on how he is a career backup and was bad in the finals and how dumb u must be, leave it....(

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 06:31 PM
0range and Black

Leighton faced 5 of the top 8 goal scorers from the playoffs.

Montreal had 2 of those players and he shut them out 3 times.

What a bum!

25-10-2 for a team that was floundering.
That team has gotten stronger defensively.

Everyone who rips Leighton points to 3 playoff games or 1 goal and ignores his near-vezina caliber play while on THIS TEAM.

They then point to the '04 Blackhawks but don't let you count Craig Anderson.

Every negative argument on this guy is based on pointing out individual plays or 1 period out of 32 or pretending his Carolina stats are relevant or saying he has no experience.

Then 1-4 and 1-8 in the playoffs are seen as improvements.
Then no other Flyer can be blamed for the Finals.
Carter, Richards and Gagne scored a combined 4 goals in the Finals and they go blameless. Pronger is a -5 in game 4 and its all on the goalie. Boucher gives up a softie game winner in game 1 and it is all on Leighton.

He got a 2 year 'prove it' deal just like the last guy's 1 year prove it deal. Both guys took a team to the finals.

1.55 is 250k more than the 6th defenseman will make (with bonus)
Go buy some Ellis, Mason and Turco jerseys and continue to cry about a GM who led the team to 5 playoff round wins in 3 seasons.

Last edited by 0range and Black: 07-04-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old
07-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Ok Craig Anderson.

My point was no one can tell when a goalie is going to have an outlier year. For a small amount of money - Comcast money - we will see which goalie Leighton is. His teammates seem to want to see him get the chance.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
Ok Craig Anderson.

My point was no one can tell when a goalie is going to have an outlier year. For a small amount of money - Comcast money - we will see which goalie Leighton is. His teammates seem to want to see him get the chance.
1] It's not the money. It's the timing. The Flyers have one, maybe two years to really compete for the Stanley Cup before they have to begin retooling the team. That's not the time to play goaltenders roulette.

2] Of course they said they want him back. They're professionals. The honest people saw the goal scored in OT of game 6 and wanted to lynch Leighton, and then Holmgren for putting Leighton in that position in the first place.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 07:02 PM
decadentia

Quote:

Leighton outplayed Rask.

Quote:

If he gets some goal support in game 2 and Carter raises the puck in game 6; his name is on the Cup.

Am I the only one wondering if he is employing some kind of neo-haiku poem argument-tactic?

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 07:10 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
For the Leighton lovers out there...

- Of the 41 total games Leighton played for us this year, 29 were against teams in the bottom half of the NHL in scoring.

- He played bottom half offenses 21 of 27 times during the regular season.

- 24 of those total 41 were against teams in the bottom-10 in the league in scoring.

- In 27 regular season games, he played a team with a top-10 offense exactly 3 times (Pit, Buffalo, Chicago).

So yeah, it was a pretty easy schedule for him, first time he faced an elite offense for an extended period, he got annihilated.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Am I the only one wondering if he is employing some kind of neo-haiku poem argument-tactic?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote