HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton Re-signed 2 years/3.1M ($1.55 mill cap hit)

Old
07-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0range and Black View Post
Leighton faced 5 of the top 8 goal scorers from the playoffs.

Montreal had 2 of those players and he shut them out 3 times.

What a bum!
Of course the guys who are around later in the play-offs are the top goal scorers. They played more games than everyone else. Either way, that was a team achievement, Cammellari barely touched the puck, and whenever Montreal was finally able to get the puck by our defense to Cammellari, he usually scored (Way to shut em down Leighton!).

Quote:
25-10-2 for a team that was floundering.
That team has gotten stronger defensively.

Everyone who rips Leighton points to 3 playoff games or 1 goal and ignores his near-vezina caliber play while on THIS TEAM.
The team was slumping behind Brian Boucher who is actually worse. And was slumping playing a new system and for a whole slew of reasons that Leighton deserves no credit for remedying.

Near Vezina caliber my ass.

The guy put together some nice stats while stopping the easiest assortment of shots you could ask for. There are goalies in college right now who could do what he did. Again, he played over his head and got the team further than I expected. Right on, Michael Leighton. That doesn't mean he's a NHL starting caliber goalie. He's not, no matter how badly you want to sell that yourself, or me, or anybody.

Quote:
They then point to the '04 Blackhawks but don't let you count Craig Anderson.

Every negative argument on this guy is based on pointing out individual plays or 1 period out of 32 or pretending his Carolina stats are relevant or saying he has no experience.
Why the hell aren't his previous stats relevant when discussing what quality of goalie he is? Are stats only relevant when you get to hand pick them to suit your argument?

Quote:
Then 1-4 and 1-8 in the playoffs are seen as improvements.

Then no other Flyer can be blamed for the Finals.
That's a false choice and nobody said anything like that. It doesn't have to be all on Leighton or all on everyone else. Leighton did his best, but wasn't good enough. Other guys weren't amazing either. It is what it is.

Here's a couple of stats from the Finals (that probably "aren't relevant").

4.01 GAA
.866 SVPCT

Quote:
Carter, Richards and Gagne scored a combined 4 goals in the Finals and they go blameless. Pronger is a -5 in game 4 and its all on the goalie. Boucher gives up a softie game winner in game 1 and it is all on Leighton.

He got a 2 year 'prove it' deal just like the last guy's 1 year prove it deal. Both guys took a team to the finals.

1.55 is 250k more than the 6th defenseman will make (with bonus)
Go buy some Ellis, Mason and Turco jerseys and continue to cry about a GM who led the team to 5 playoff round wins in 3 seasons.
I have no problem with Leighton's contract. I have a problem with Leighton being our starter. I am one of the first people to give Paul Holmgren credit (look through my post history). It goes both ways though. Paul Holmgren absolutely deserves criticism for not (as of right now, at least) getting a more proven, dependable goaltender than Michael Leighton in the organization.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:

They then point to the '04 Blackhawks but don't let you count Craig Anderson..
Just passing thru and saw this comment

Craig Anderson actually played better then Leighton that season and showed more promise. That is why the Hawks traded Leighton and gave Anderson the #2 job behind Khabibulin in 05-06

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:46 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Just passing thru and saw this comment

Craig Anderson actually played better then Leighton that season and showed more promise. That is why the Hawks traded Leighton and gave Anderson the #2 job behind Khabibulin in 05-06
Look you already won the cup, can we at least believe we have the better late-blooming-backup?

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Look you already won the cup, can we at least believe we have the better late-blooming-backup?
Well Anderson and Leighton might not even be the best young goalie we had at time to blossom

Mike Brodeur is up there in Ottawa ready to take the #1 job at 1st chance (actually now that i think of it with Elliott and Leclaire as there goalies ,,, It really isn't a stretch to think he can take the job from those 2)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

In all fairness to Brodeur and Leighton, Anderson is clearly the best of those three at this point.

Old
07-05-2010, 12:22 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
In all fairness to Brodeur and Leighton, Anderson is clearly the best of those three at this point.

Old
07-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
You lost me...

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but you know I was talking about Mike Brodeur right?

Old
07-05-2010, 12:38 AM
decadentia

Quote:
You lost me...

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but you know I was talking about Mike Brodeur right?
You inferred Anderson>Leighton, aye?

Old
07-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
You inferred Anderson>Leighton, aye?
By a mile.

Old
07-05-2010, 01:00 AM
decadentia

Quote:
By a mile.

Old
07-05-2010, 01:16 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:

Old
07-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Flyerfan808

Sup,

From this moment forward can we please stop pretending that MFL is better than he actually is.

Thanks!

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:58 AM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Sup,

From this moment forward can we please stop pretending that MFL is better than he actually is.

Thanks!
Nope.

He's the best goalie we have!

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
Nope.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Backlund or Boucher steal his job at some point this year, only to have it stolen back, only to steal it, etc.

Old
07-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Nope.

He's not better than The Superstar. Just because no one has thought to use Shelley in net doesn't mean that it's not a great idea.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:35 PM
BernieParent

I know it's stylish to take extreme positions on fanboards, but painting Michael Leighton as the second coming of Hardy Aastrom in the finals is a bit much. Like most others here, I dry-heaved my way through the multiple softies that cost this franchise the Cup – along with the Carter near-miss, etc. – but I also remember that Leighton bounced back very nicely from that Twilight Zone Game 1 and also kept the Flyers in Game 5 (IIRC ??) when almost all 20 minutes were played in their zone.

At this moment in time, the Flyers are an improved team over the roster that competed up to Game 6 of the SC Finals. And while there are a number of significant improvements that can be made to the #1 G position, I'll bravely (?) state that current Leighton > G carousel of 2009-10.

Please take this in the context of my multiple other posts questioning Holmgren's IQ and patience in giving Leighton about $500 K too much, signing Shelley, etc. But looking at things from the here and now, the team is mostly intact from the amazing Cup run and is improved on D.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:36 PM
BernieParent

Incidentally, Beef, if I ever need a professional-level analogy for any of my projects, may I approach you for a cost estimate?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 01:02 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Sup,

Thanks!
Stanley Cup Finals rabble...rabble...rabble?

Old
07-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Nope.

Sad thing is... he is absolutely right.

Old
07-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Stanley Cup Finals rabble...rabble...rabble?
Round and round we go!

Old
07-05-2010, 04:50 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Leighton faced 5 of the top 8 goal scorers from the playoffs.

Montreal had 2 of those players and he shut them out 3 times.

What a bum!

25-10-2 for a team that was floundering.
That team has gotten stronger defensively.

Everyone who rips Leighton points to 3 playoff games or 1 goal and ignores his near-vezina caliber play while on THIS TEAM.

They then point to the '04 Blackhawks but don't let you count Craig Anderson.

Every negative argument on this guy is based on pointing out individual plays or 1 period out of 32 or pretending his Carolina stats are relevant or saying he has no experience.

Then 1-4 and 1-8 in the playoffs are seen as improvements.
Then no other Flyer can be blamed for the Finals.
Carter, Richards and Gagne scored a combined 4 goals in the Finals and they go blameless. Pronger is a -5 in game 4 and its all on the goalie. Boucher gives up a softie game winner in game 1 and it is all on Leighton.

He got a 2 year 'prove it' deal just like the last guy's 1 year prove it deal. Both guys took a team to the finals.

1.55 is 250k more than the 6th defenseman will make (with bonus)
Go buy some Ellis, Mason and Turco jerseys and continue to cry about a GM who led the team to 5 playoff round wins in 3 seasons.
The funny thing is, when I talk to friends of mine who are Flyer fans or other teams fans, they all seem pretty high on Leighton. You look on NHL.com and you see he was the #1 goalie in save percentage, shutouts and GAA in the playoffs and lost in the stanley cup final to a better team. Then you come here and read and see nothing but negative. I believe Leighton was great for us this year in the regular season and even better in the playoffs. He is well worth keeping another year to see if he can continue to be what he showed this year. At 1.5 million for a starting goalie who can give you a .920 save percentage, that is a steal.

For those that say he is terrible playing behind a very solid team. Fair enough, he will be playing behind an even better one in 2010-2011. Our 5-6 is 10 times better than it was.

For those that say he was terrible in the finals. Fair enough. But was it just me that saw a few softies but more than that, weird goals? Every goal was deflected off a stick or a skate or bounced to someone with a clear shot. He wasn't good in the finals. But short of one game, I thought he was better than Niemi. I thought he outplayed every goalie he faced in the playoffs. I thought the Hawks beat the Flyers. They had the better team and that is why we lost. But I also believe that the 2010-2011 version of the Flyers with Leighton can/should beat the 2010-2011 version of the Hawks. I hope to see a rematch.

Hawks=not nearly as good
Sharks=not as good
Penguins=improved defense, not improved offensively
Caps=done nothing
Flyers=Improved D, solidified G, O remains the same

I like our chances. Shelley was a terrible Flyer signing, but I suspect that was to sell tickets more than to bulid a team? Other than that, I am pleased with the moves and very excited about 2010-2011. LETS GO FLYERS!!!!

P.S. I know I will be thrashed for saying this, like other Rookie user Orange and Black was. The majority on here prefer to destroy anyone happy with this team. Have fun....I can take it

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
The funny thing is, when I talk to friends of mine who are Flyer fans or other teams fans, they all seem pretty high on Leighton. You look on NHL.com and you see he was the #1 goalie in save percentage, shutouts and GAA in the playoffs and lost in the stanley cup final to a better team. Then you come here and read and see nothing but negative. I believe Leighton was great for us this year in the regular season and even better in the playoffs. He is well worth keeping another year to see if he can continue to be what he showed this year. At 1.5 million for a starting goalie who can give you a .920 save percentage, that is a steal.

For those that say he is terrible playing behind a very solid team. Fair enough, he will be playing behind an even better one in 2010-2011. Our 5-6 is 10 times better than it was.

For those that say he was terrible in the finals. Fair enough. But was it just me that saw a few softies but more than that, weird goals? Every goal was deflected off a stick or a skate or bounced to someone with a clear shot. He wasn't good in the finals. But short of one game, I thought he was better than Niemi. I thought he outplayed every goalie he faced in the playoffs. I thought the Hawks beat the Flyers. They had the better team and that is why we lost. But I also believe that the 2010-2011 version of the Flyers with Leighton can/should beat the 2010-2011 version of the Hawks. I hope to see a rematch.

Hawks=not nearly as good
Sharks=not as good
Caps=done nothing

I like our chances. Shelley was a terrible Flyer signing, but I suspect that was to sell tickets more than to bulid a team? Other than that, I am pleased with the moves and very excited about 2010-2011. LETS GO FLYERS!!!!

P.S. I know I will be thrashed for saying this, like other Rookie user Orange and Black was. The majority on here prefer to destroy anyone happy with this team. Have fun....I can take it
Considering he didn't play New Jersey and only half the Boston series...we're talking about a very small sample size. He was revolting against Chicago, the only real offense he faced.

He's a terrible goalie over his entire career.

Also, FlyHigh proved his hot streak was only against the weakest teams in the league (can't remember if it was this thread or another).

If Michael ****ing Leighton gives us .920 over 60+ games hell will have officially frozen over.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:13 PM
FlyerEra2010

All the crybabies are getting annoying. Leighton is going to be a Flyers goalie next season, probably our starter. Go ahead and ***** and moan about it all you want, but that's the way it is now. Would I rather have Nabokov or Turco? Yes. Do I think Leighton is the worst goalie in the league? No. He was a pretty good goalie for us all season until the finals. I get why people don't think it's right to overlook his entire career (although let's keep in mind he hasn't been given much of a chance) for that one nice stretch he had with us, but he's our guy now and crying about it won't change that. I think there's a decent chance he'll be able to build off his good season last year and be a reliable netminder. It's not like he's ever had this kind of opportunity before, so writing him off as a total disaster in July is just as stupid as thinking he's going to be Bernie Parent.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:42 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Hawks=not nearly as good
Sharks=not as good
Caps=done nothing

how was the goaltending solidified? Yeah Shelley will really put ***** in the seats. funnyiest thing i have read ina while.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:58 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Considering he didn't play New Jersey and only half the Boston series...we're talking about a very small sample size. He was revolting against Chicago, the only real offense he faced.

He's a terrible goalie over his entire career.

Also, FlyHigh proved his hot streak was only against the weakest teams in the league (can't remember if it was this thread or another).

If Michael ****ing Leighton gives us .920 over 60+ games hell will have officially frozen over.
I enjoy how the Leighton supporters have just completely ignored that point, the guy played 3 regular season games against top-10 offenses and played more than 3/4 of his games against bottom-15 offenses.

I guess if you can't rebut the point, just ignore it, but I mean, that's pretty damning evidence right there.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote