HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh/Boston/Edmonton 3-Way

Old
08-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh/Boston/Edmonton 3-Way

To Boston: Alex Goligoski

To Edmonton: Joe Colborne

To Pittsburgh: Jordan Eberle

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:05 AM
THOR77

why would edmonton give Jordan Eberle away for JOE Colborne
dosen't make sence won't happen

THOR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

Edmonton is giving up by far the most valuable piece in this trade. To get someone of Eberle's calibre, I think it would take losing alot more than Gogo

Colborne I really dont know much about, but with a kid as gifted as Eberle, I doubt Edmonton would give him up for much short of a sure fire star/franchise player

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Frankie Spankie

Why would Boston ever do this? Joe Colborne is one of our best prospects and I'm sure we can get better than Goligoski for him if we were looking to move him.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
To Boston: Alex Goligoski

To Edmonton: Joe Colborne

To Pittsburgh: Jordan Eberle
Everyone but Boston and Edmonton do this deal. Catch my drift?

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:08 AM
gino718711

I would give up gogo for Eberle in a heartbeat.... To bad Edmonton never does this. Eberle would be so good with Sid and it would solve our winger problem

gino718711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:09 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
The Bruins - Would say yes but have no room to play him him. So that essentially a no.

The Oilers - Would say no. Eberle > Colborne. Eberle and Hall played together very effectively on WJC squad.

Pens - Would say no. Do they really have the defensive depth to part with an up and coming offensive defensemen?

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
Everyone but Boston and Edmonton do this deal. Catch my drift?
No. Can you explain it to me?

Old
08-03-2010, 09:16 AM
KrugLife
Registered Champion

pass

KrugLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:20 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Sure. Not sure if you've noticed but Boston is actually over the Salary Cap with Tyler Seguin yet to be signed. Not sure how they trade away their best prospect not named Seguin just to create more of a cap mess.

And Eberle just doesn't make the move. I think a case can be made that Colborne has as much long term upside as Eberle, but I think there's any doubt that Eberle is significantly closer to reaching his potential and being a very good NHLer as early as this year. Makes no sense for them to swap Eberle for Colborne at this point.

Old
08-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Nugent93Hopkins
Welcome to the

Edmonton and Boston say no. Pittsburgh is good enough as it is.

Nugent93Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:21 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
Quote:
If I'm understanding him correctly, Pit doesn't not do this while Edm and Bos don't not, not do the trade.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Sure. Not sure if you've noticed but Boston is actually over the Salary Cap with Tyler Seguin yet to be signed. Not sure how they trade away their best prospect not named Seguin just to create more of a cap mess.
I'm sure resolutions to the Thomas/Savard situation(s) are impending.

As for a cap mess, Goligoski would be as cap-friendly a solution to Boston's PMD shortage as any in the league.

Quote:
And Eberle just doesn't make the move. I think a case can be made that Colborne has as much long term upside as Eberle, but I think there's any doubt that Eberle is significantly closer to reaching his potential and being a very good NHLer as early as this year. Makes no sense for them to swap Eberle for Colborne at this point.
Edmonton's missing size and talent down the middle both on the team and in the system (despite some's insistence that Hall could play center...he's as prototypical a wing prospect as has come along in years), and they have a surplus of wing talent.

Colborne is in the unique situation of being a very good, very big natural center prospect in an organization that has plenty of centers for the present and the future.

Old
08-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Oates2Neely

Pass. Gogs a decent dman but nowhere near the value of Colborne or Eberle. Eberle & Colborne similar value, but Eberle is closer to contributing therefore he holds more value than Colborne. Boston could just send Colborne & Hunwick to EDM for Eberle & leave Pitt out of the equation..

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 09:35 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:

As for a cap mess, Goligoski would be as cap-friendly a solution to Boston's PMD shortage as any in the league.

Edmonton's missing size and talent down the middle both on the team and in the system (despite some's insistence that Hall could play center...he's as prototypical a wing prospect as has come along in years), and they have a surplus of wing talent.
What exactly are these impending resolutions to the Thomas/Savard situations? All the Savard talk has completely died down, and he actually has a cap friendly contract that would basically be a wash when Seguin gets signed and added to the cap ($4million vs $3.75 million). As for Thomas, while he's clearly still a #1 goalie in the NHL, there's just no market for him. He just had hip surgery, he's signed for 3 more years at $5 million...it just doesn't add up.

If Boston moves Savard or Ryder all that does is clear enough room to be cap compliant when Sturm comes back from LTIR. Boston is in no position to be moving prospects for veteran NHL players at this point. Any deals made for a guy like Goligoski are going to involve some salary leaving, not to mention the fact that Colborne is now widely regarded as the only other truly elite prospect in the Boston organization. They have a smattering of decent to good prospects, but only Colborne and Seguin are considered elite...he's not getting moved right now.

As for the Edmonton stuff, I'll let the Oil fans handle that. As a Bruins fan, this deal never happens.

Old
08-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Pass. Gogs a decent dman but nowhere near the value of Colborne or Eberle.
That's an exceptional case of assuming the unproven over the proven.

Goligoski scored about as much as Colborne did in his sophomore college season...as a defenseman. He's since gone on to break scoring records in the AHL and produce at the pace of a #1 dman in the NHL at 24. I don't think any other defenseman with that resume would be valued so poorly by HF at large, so I wonder why Goligoski is the exception?

Quote:
Eberle & Colborne similar value, but Eberle is closer to contributing therefore he holds more value than Colborne. Boston could just send Colborne & Hunwick to EDM for Eberle & leave Pitt out of the equation..
If they feel they have more problems with wings than PMDs. Post-Horton, is that really the case?

Old
08-03-2010, 09:42 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Quote:

While the second half of that is very true. The top half doesn't hold water. There is no Thomas/Savard situation. There's a surplus of starting goalies this off season and Nabakov had to take a job in the KHL meaning the market for Thomas is nil. The Savard trade rumors were absolute rumors and if he is moved it will probably be for a PMD anyways. Not to mention even if it were true that Savard would be traded what makes you think we still have the cap space? It would involve the Bruins either A - Taking on zero cap space in a "soft deal" which is unlikely or B - moving another player out without taking any cap back to make the room for Goligoski which again is unlikely.

Quote:
Colborne has been playing wing the last two years at Denver so that he can make the Bruins without having to wait for the departure of Krejci/Bergeron/Savard. Bruins need wingers almost as bad as defensemen. Eberle right now is a much better NHL ready prospect than Colborne is. Edmonton has zero incentive to do this.

Old
08-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
What exactly are these impending resolutions to the Thomas/Savard situations? All the Savard talk has completely died down, and he actually has a cap friendly contract that would basically be a wash when Seguin gets signed and added to the cap ($4million vs $3.75 million). As for Thomas, while he's clearly still a #1 goalie in the NHL, there's just no market for him. He just had hip surgery, he's signed for 3 more years at $5 million...it just doesn't add up.
It's a long off-season, friend.

Quote:
If Boston moves Savard or Ryder all that does is clear enough room to be cap compliant when Sturm comes back from LTIR. Boston is in no position to be moving prospects for veteran NHL players at this point.
Cross that bridge when necessary. There's no shortage of movable pieces on the Bruins.

Quote:
Any deals made for a guy like Goligoski are going to involve some salary leaving, not to mention the fact that Colborne is now widely regarded as the only other truly elite prospect in the Boston organization. They have a smattering of decent to good prospects, but only Colborne and Seguin are considered elite...he's not getting moved right now.
"Elite" is pushing it.

Quote:
As for the Edmonton stuff, I'll let the Oil fans handle that. As a Bruins fan, this deal never happens.
Thanks for your input.

Old
08-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
While the second half of that is very true. The top half doesn't hold water. There is no Thomas/Savard situation. There's a surplus of starting goalies this off season and Nabakov had to take a job in the KHL meaning the market for Thomas is nil. The Savard trade rumors were absolute rumors and if he is moved it will probably be for a PMD anyways.
Thomas is not in the same situation as Nabokov. Nabokov was looking for a deal with the right team for a lot of money - Thomas has his contract and is now just looking for playing time.

Different players, with different teams likely in play.

Quote:
Not to mention even if it were true that Savard would be traded what makes you think we still have the cap space? It would involve the Bruins either A - Taking on zero cap space in a "soft deal" which is unlikely or B - moving another player out without taking any cap back to make the room for Goligoski which again is unlikely.
Why not make a soft deal? What makes Boston so different from Philly (Gagne trade) in this respect?

Quote:
Colborne has been playing wing the last two years at Denver so that he can make the Bruins without having to wait for the departure of Krejci/Bergeron/Savard. Bruins need wingers almost as bad as defensemen. Eberle right now is a much better NHL ready prospect than Colborne is. Edmonton has zero incentive to do this.
Colborne is as natural a winger as Hall is a center. This deal's contingent on teams wanting to forget trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Old
08-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:

Eberle and Colborne are the same age. One is the all time leading Canadian goal scorer in the WJCs, and made the team 2x. The other was never even selected. Colborne, because of his size and skill is an intriguing prospect, but is nowhere near Eberle in value.

I not only would trade Colborne for Eberle, but I'd even add our own 1st this year to do it.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:01 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Why not make a soft deal? What makes Boston so different from Philly (Gagne trade) in this respect?
What makes Philly's situation so different from Boston...Um, maybe the fact that Gagne's $5.25million contract is set to expire after this season, whereas Savard is signed to a $4million contract for the rest of his career. I would say that alone makes the situation apples and oranges. One guy is a rental at this point, the other guy is signed until he retires.

Quote:
Colborne is as natural a winger as Hall is a center. This deal's contingent on teams wanting to forget trying to fit square pegs into round holes.
I'm going to assume that they either didn't watch him play at Denver last year, or that you did watch him play but are willingly choosing to ignore facts. He played wing all last year in the WCHA and posted a PPG. Not to mention he's gone on record now multiple times saying that he's comfortable playing any forward position they want him to. You can make the argument that moving Seguin to wing is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, but that argument holds no weight in regards to Colborne. He might end up a center in the NHL, but he's proven to be a more than capable winger in a very good league.

I know you think this is a good deal for everyone involved...but it's not. I'm a bigger Goligoski fan than most (I live in Minny, etc), but he's got some major holes in his game from his own red line in, and I'm not sure those are ever going to go away. I'd take him on Boston for sure, but not at the cost Colborne at this point, and I bet the Boston front office feels the same way.

Old
08-03-2010, 10:05 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Quote:
Thomas is not in the same situation as Nabokov. Nabokov was looking for a deal with the right team for a lot of money - Thomas has his contract and is now just looking for playing time.

Different players, with different teams likely in play.
Besides Thomas' no trade clause he had a less than stellar season at 36 & now is coming off hip surgury. No team is going to touch his 5m cap hit. We've been trying to unload him since before the draft with no takers in sight. So yes there is no way a Thomas deal makes this possible unless you see a team the rest of us don't willing to take his contract?

Quote:
Because there is no need to do it. We fit everyone under the cap after we trade/waive Ryder. So in this respect why would the 2nd worse team offensively in the league last year trade there best offensive player on a good contract for nothing if they don't have to?

Quote:
Colborne is as natural a winger as Hall is a center.
Sturm, Ryder, Recchi are all done after this year. Wheeler could easily leave after this year as well. That's 3 of our top 4 wingers gone. We need wingers just as bad if not worse than defensemen. He may not be a winger but he's being groomed into one for the franchise that drafted him.

Bottom line. I'd easily trade for Goligoski but the cost of a trade to fit him on our team this year would be to dump both Ryder & Savard for nothing. And then trade our next highest ranked prospect after Seguin. Just for Goligoski. That's not a good move for our franchise.

Old
08-03-2010, 10:14 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Why even involve Edmonton?

Colbourne-for-Goligoski straight up seems to accomplish the same thing (Boston gets a defenseman, Pittsburgh gets a forward).

However, Eberle is better than both.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:37 AM
zeus3007*

Eberle is an elite prospect. Colbourne is not. Just because he is one of the best on the Bruins, doesn't mean that he is one of the best. The Oilers would need a hell of a lot more than Colbourne to deal Eberle. Like Colbourne and a first rounder.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Rakunitz23

Joe Colborne NHL Stats:

Jordan Eberle NHL Stats:

Alex Goligoski NHL Stats: 14-45-59 in 117 games, +14

PLAYOFF STATS: 2-8-10 in 15 games played, +3

Therefore, Goligoski>eberle and colborne, until the other 2 actually play some NHL games.

Rakunitz23 is offline   Reply With Quote