HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

2010 UFA Targets

Old
07-02-2010, 10:10 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Oh god please no

If it gets Harrison off the ice...

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:45 AM
caniac247

What about Mark Eaton? Sounds like Pittsburgh won't be re-signing him after they picked up Michalek/Martin. Honestly I have no clue what type of player he is, just looking at list of available defensemen.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 50
Looking at their past numbers it looks like Corvo made 2.625 million/year and Pothier made 2.5 million/year. Both are 33 years old. Any ideas what they'd be looking for now?

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
I see no reason for Corvo to take a pay cut unless it's here and he takes a discount. Pothier signed that deal with Washington coming off a very good season in Ottawa. Since then he has missed a lot of time, though. Maybe somewhere around $2 mil for him.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Interesting to see Souray on waivers. Guess they got no good offers and didn't want to take back salary. Likely this will knock him down a few pegs but if he does hit re-entry waivers I wouldn't be opposed to putting in a claim. That would be something like $2.75mil for 2 more years.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:32 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

It won't happen but pairing Gleason- Souray is pain in ass.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:35 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Interesting to see Souray on waivers. Guess they got no good offers and didn't want to take back salary. Likely this will knock him down a few pegs but if he does hit re-entry waivers I wouldn't be opposed to putting in a claim. That would be something like $2.75mil for 2 more years.
I love Souray, but unless we trade Babchuk, we really don't need him. We have plenty offensive-defensemen.

Old
07-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Joe McGrath

Souray could only help the Canes if they could trade him at the deadline to a contender if he could stay healthy. Do you really want him taking PP minutes away from McBain, Babchuk, or Pitkanen?

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:54 PM
geehaad

What's hilarious is that even though JR has set the expectation appropriately - very early - that this team will not take on salary and will not be in competition for a playoff spot, some of you will not only continue to pepper this board with "I will be pissed if JR doesn't sign someone today", "I see XXXX fitting as a great D pairing with YYYY", and other forms of wishful thinking, but then you'll be pissed when he holds true to his word and waits a month to find a bargain-bin player.

It's like you're in your own little worlds...

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:55 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

I'll be pissed if the Hurricanes don't acquire Crosby in exchange for Samsonov, Cole and Harrison.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:11 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
What's hilarious is that even though JR has set the expectation appropriately - very early - that this team will not take on salary and will not be in competition for a playoff spot, some of you will not only continue to pepper this board with "I will be pissed if JR doesn't sign someone today", "I see XXXX fitting as a great D pairing with YYYY", and other forms of wishful thinking, but then you'll be pissed when he holds true to his word and waits a month to find a bargain-bin player.

Trust me, I'm not pissed in the least that we're passing up on these guys. It IS what I expected and I'm glad that JR isn't going to be trying to get these guys that are being overpaid big time this week.

BUT it's always fun to speculate as to who all is left on the market. Just don't get emotionally attached to the prospect of having someone we have no chance in hell of having.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post

I'm a little fuzzy as to what JR actually said. The way he made it sound was that the team is going to try to show prospective owners that they can make money even if the team doesn't make the playoffs, so they are actively attempting to miss the playoffs? Do I have that right?

Also what you said is spot on about people getting pissed they aren't signing anyone. No one is signing, our payroll is what it is, leave it alone. What you see is what you get, or maybe you get Carson back in August when no one has signed him.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:50 PM
caniac247

To be honest I've been in and out of this thread, but I don't see too many people being pissed about what JR hasn't done.

What we know, JR has said he'll take the money reserved for Carson/Picard and sign a defensemen, likely one to play with Harrison. I think we ALL know that that won't happen till August or September when someone is still looking for a home and will be desperate.

Newsflash, its the offseason and since we know we can't expect any signings now it makes for a boring offseason. Atleast speculating gives people something to do. What should we talk about instead?

Old
07-02-2010, 01:59 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
To be honest I've been in and out of this thread, but I don't see too many people being pissed about what JR hasn't done.

What we know, JR has said he'll take the money reserved for Carson/Picard and sign a defensemen, likely one to play with Harrison. I think we ALL know that that won't happen till August or September when someone is still looking for a home and will be desperate.

Newsflash, its the offseason and since we know we can't expect any signings now it makes for a boring offseason. Atleast speculating gives people something to do. What should we talk about instead?
The World Cup:

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I know what we can discuss:

All-Star Game. Home field advantage belongs to us. Should we go the Montreal route and attempt to vote in players that don't actually belong?

LaRose has apparently already started his campaign (I'd kill to have those "Vote for Rosie" shirts mass produced), and despite all the hate Babs gets here, I'd like to see him try the slapshot competition, if only to see the results.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:47 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I thought it was terrible what the Habs fans did. In retrospect that ASG lineup looks like an unfunny joke about their franchise.

Old
07-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Fan voting in general is an unfunny joke about the ASG. If they really wanted to do it correctly, have the players decide.

But if they really want to keep the fan voting, why not exploit it?

Old
07-02-2010, 03:09 PM
caniac247

I like the All-Star talk

Since we do get the home advantage, we should have atleast one more player on the team other than Staal, so who are your guesses:

Staal
Ward (as long as his back don't go wonky)

And for the young stars: McBain

Old
07-02-2010, 03:12 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
But if they really want to keep the fan voting, why not exploit it?
At most I'd say maybe vote for a guy like Pitkanen or Ward who otherwise wouldn't make it. But Larose is soooo far from being an All Star. Some elite players would be at home watching this plug getting burnt every time he steps on the ice.

G Carey Price (Montreal Canadiens)
D Mike Komisarek (Montreal Canadiens)
D Andrei Markov (Montreal Canadiens)
F Alexei Kovalev (Montreal Canadiens) - (C)
F Vincent Lecavalier (Tampa Bay Lightning)
F Evgeni Malkin (Pittsburgh Penguins)

That's a permanent black mark on both the ASG and the Habs themselves. It's like something HFboards would come up with.

Old
07-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Sad King Jimmy
That's hockey baby!

Nic Wallin for the 2011 All Star Game?

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
At most I'd say maybe vote for a guy like Pitkanen or Ward who otherwise wouldn't make it. But Larose is soooo far from being an All Star. Some elite players would be at home watching this plug getting burnt every time he steps on the ice.

G Carey Price (Montreal Canadiens)
D Mike Komisarek (Montreal Canadiens)
D Andrei Markov (Montreal Canadiens)
F Alexei Kovalev (Montreal Canadiens) - (C)
F Vincent Lecavalier (Tampa Bay Lightning)
F Evgeni Malkin (Pittsburgh Penguins)

That's a permanent black mark on both the ASG and the Habs themselves. It's like something HFboards would come up with.
It's only for the starting lineups, and the home team fans want to see the home team. Especially in a market like Montreal, where to my understanding, the players aren't as readily available as they are down here.

Maybe we could posthumously () vote Brindamour in?

Old
07-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarosefortheHart View Post
Nic Wallin for the 2011 All Star Game?
only if he continues to play the way he did to earn that nice big contract of his lol

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

So, it looks like 10 teams have contacted Vancouver about Bieksa. Any chance we can unload someone and their salary and a pick for him? I'm thinking something like

LaRose (dont want to, but dont see them taking anyone else we would let go of i.e. Samsonov/Cole
2011 2nd rd pick

not sure if that is enough or if they would even do it. something to start with. the only reason i have 1 roster player and a (high) pick is because his contract runs out in 1 year. i find him more valuable at this point that larose/2nd together.

curious on your opinions. i know he is a lot of money (3.75mil) and it would only be for 1 year, but LaRose would take 1.7mil off that, dropping it to an effective 2.05mil for 1 year. LaRose would only have that 1 more year on his contract as well.

If he doesnt work out, he'll be BIG trade bait at the trade deadline next season. If he does, we'll have Brindy, Cole, and Samsonov coming off the books so we'll have some $$ to work with to resign him (and yes i know we'll need some for Pitkanen/Jokinen as well). Just over 9 mil will be coming off the books just with Brindy/Cole/Sammy, i think plenty to get Pits/Jokinen a raise if they earn it, Bieksa some good money, and some sort of top-6 forward to a contract to replace Cole (lol) / LaRose on that top 6. If that's the way we go (which I think we need to do)

ok, thats the case I am presenting......what do you all think

Old
07-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

lol Grahame signs with the Avs...1 year deal....

Old
07-02-2010, 06:42 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby shall return

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSoldier15U View Post
So, it looks like 10 teams have contacted Vancouver about Bieksa. Any chance we can unload someone and their salary and a pick for him? I'm thinking something like

LaRose (dont want to, but dont see them taking anyone else we would let go of i.e. Samsonov/Cole
2011 2nd rd pick

not sure if that is enough or if they would even do it. something to start with. the only reason i have 1 roster player and a (high) pick is because his contract runs out in 1 year. i find him more valuable at this point that larose/2nd together.

curious on your opinions. i know he is a lot of money (3.75mil) and it would only be for 1 year, but LaRose would take 1.7mil off that, dropping it to an effective 2.05mil for 1 year. LaRose would only have that 1 more year on his contract as well.

If he doesnt work out, he'll be BIG trade bait at the trade deadline next season. If he does, we'll have Brindy, Cole, and Samsonov coming off the books so we'll have some $$ to work with to resign him (and yes i know we'll need some for Pitkanen/Jokinen as well). Just over 9 mil will be coming off the books just with Brindy/Cole/Sammy, i think plenty to get Pits/Jokinen a raise if they earn it, Bieksa some good money, and some sort of top-6 forward to a contract to replace Cole (lol) / LaRose on that top 6. If that's the way we go (which I think we need to do)

ok, thats the case I am presenting......what do you all think
Wasn't Brind'Amour technically bought out? That would mean he will stay on the books for the 11/12 season at the same amount as this year, so we wont' have any savings from that. Cole and Samsonov would save us 5.8 in actual salary. That'll be more than enough to cover raises for Pitkanen and Jokinen, with probably around 3 million or so left. Sutter and possibly Tlustly will also need raises. We'll definitely have a lot of financial flexibility after next year, maybe we'll grab a good FA, and our prospects will have another year of experience. 11/12 is shaping to be a good year.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote