HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 UFA Targets

Old
07-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

vCash: 500
I'm not sure on the Brind'Amour situation. I thought by buying him out that saved us this year and then he would have been a UFA after that so he would be off the books anyway. I may be completely misunderstanding that. But yeah I guess if what you are saying is correct, we really couldnt afford him if we didnt get a good buyer for the other 49% of the team and had to continue to spend close to the floor. The second we are able to spend at or close to the cap, watch out.

Actually, now that I think back on it, technically he retired, then we paid him $2mil after the fact, if I am remembering correctly. I think we get that money both this season and next season, but it still hits our cap because he was over 35 when he signed the contract But the cap isnt our issue this season.

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 06:59 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by RY4N View Post
Wasn't Brind'Amour technically bought out? That would mean he will stay on the books for the 11/12 season at the same amount as this year, so we wont' have any savings from that. Cole and Samsonov would save us 5.8 in actual salary. That'll be more than enough to cover raises for Pitkanen and Jokinen, with probably around 3 million or so left. Sutter and possibly Tlustly will also need raises. We'll definitely have a lot of financial flexibility after next year, maybe we'll grab a good FA, and our prospects will have another year of experience. 11/12 is shaping to be a good year.
Actually no since Brind'Amour factored in at the 35+ clause of the CBA which affects both buyouts and retirements. We can pay him over 2 years but he's a one time hit of 3.6 just like he would have been had he played this season. He's a non-factor for next year in terms of the cap.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Actually no since Brind'Amour factored in at the 35+ clause of the CBA which affects both buyouts and retirements. We can pay him over 2 years but he's a one time hit of 3.6 just like he would have been had he played this season. He's a non-factor for next year in terms of the cap.
except the cap wont be an issue for us until long after that anyways. it's the real money owed that is our issue. even though we are still paying him, because he retired first, technically, the money we would have paid him as a player can officially go toward someone else. But yeah as far as I understand it is a 1 time cap hit but the money is spread out over 2 years.

Old
07-02-2010, 07:10 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
Well in terms of cap, yes he will be off the books in 11/12. I was talking about the actual salary that we will be paying, since we're at the floor and look at things in term of salary for the most part.

I could have misunderstood what actually happened, but the way I understood it was we bought him out and he retired, so we have a 3.6 hit this year and pay him 1 million, then in 11/12 there is no cap hit, and we pay him 1 million again. I'm not as well versed in the CBA as others here, so might have gotten the 35+ rules wrong. I was thinking that in terms of salary savings going into the 11/12 season that we won't be saving any money on Brind'Amour.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:18 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

We have the option of paying him all 2 million that we owe him this year if we so choose due to the buyout rules. I may be mistaken on this one but I do believe it's an option in buyouts to pay off the amount as originally scheduled or to spread it out over twice the length.

Old
07-02-2010, 07:28 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
We have the option of paying him all 2 million that we owe him this year if we so choose due to the buyout rules. I may be mistaken on this one but I do believe it's an option in buyouts to pay off the amount as originally scheduled or to spread it out over twice the length.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of the rule, but it makes sense. If that's the case, then I'd like to pay the 2 million this year, as we'll most likely have the room to absorb the extra million this year. Id' like to be as clean as possible going into the 11/12 season.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:33 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Yeah, if the money is there or if we come up with a new partial owner for the team then I'd much prefer to do it all in one year.

Old
07-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

so all that being said, does that completely invalidate my argument for Bieksa? or what do you all think about that?

Old
07-02-2010, 07:58 PM
totaltank

I've argued for Bieksa for a while now, but apparently, he sucks.

As for Brindy, JR did say at some point that Brindy will get $1 million each of the next two years. As to whether the Canes will count this against their self-imposed budget or not, I don't know. But I'm not sure how you can't. They're paying Kaberle/Brindy $1.733 million this year in actual dollars, so I would think that "counts."

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:01 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

yeah I'd be all for Bieksa, not sure what we'd have to give up but I'd be glad to get him

Old
07-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Bieksa has been the 1 d-man I wanted more than any for a year or so now, it just hasnt been feasible monetarily. And I am not so sure that it is feasible right now either. But wow what he would do to our blue line...

Old
07-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Brock Anton
#habs #bandwagon

IN the trade thread there is a Rosey/TKO for Bieska trade offer by a fan, would we do that?

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy21 View Post
IN the trade thread there is a Rosey/TKO for Bieska trade offer by a fan, would we do that?
i was looking at that as well. I doubt Vancouver would do a Rosie or Kosto straight up for Bieksa trade. Nowhere near an even trade. I countered with Rosie + 2011 3rd for Bieksa

Old
07-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

I know it is HF boards fan, but they are now pitching Larose + Kosto for Bieksa +.....I was thinking Bieksa + 2011 3rd rd pick for that package? Too much, or too little, for LaRose + Kosto?

Old
07-03-2010, 08:48 AM
totaltank

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSoldier15U View Post
I know it is HF boards fan, but they are now pitching Larose + Kosto for Bieksa +.....I was thinking Bieksa + 2011 3rd rd pick for that package? Too much, or too little, for LaRose + Kosto?
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't trade LaRose. I think he's a lot better than people give him credit for, and I think he's still on the upswing. Also, he's in a contract year (I know Bieksa is too) and showed some serious improvement after he got healthy at the end of last year. Regardless, I'm excited about LaRose's potential for a big year this year and I wouldn't trade him.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I wouldn't trade him either unless we're out of if come the trade deadline...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Gr8Dan

Bieksa for Cole? Both UFA at the end of next season

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:33 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

some of the Defenseman UFAs that are still on the market:

Kim Johnsson, Willie Mitchell, Brett Clark, Mike Van Ryn, Ruslan Salei, Andy Sutton, Joe Corvo, Brian Pothier, Shaone Morrisonn, Paul Mara, Carlo Colaiacovo, Brett Carson, Alexandre Picard

Old
07-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

IIRC, Van Ryn's career may be over due to injury. So he's a FA in the same way Tanabe is.

Of that list, I'd be happiest with Sutton or Pothier.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Souray clears waivers.....ok, so lets say they put him back on re-entry waivers. There would be 5 teams ahead of us in line to claim him, since Edmonton is also ahead of us but he is their player. So, assuming those 5 dont claim him....should we? it would be $2.25 mil per year for 2 years (4.5 per year cut in half by re-entry waiver rules). I would personally say do it. It is an easy way to get what some would consider an elite blue liner for half or less what the other elite blueliners are going for. And for more than just 1 year.

Thoughts?

oh, and also, it seems Bieksa has a NTC, so the added bonus of being able to trade him at the deadline next season is out for the most part. And since that NTC covers right now, I doubt he agrees to come here in the end anyways.

Old
07-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
IIRC, Van Ryn's career may be over due to injury. So he's a FA in the same way Tanabe is.

Of that list, I'd be happiest with Sutton or Pothier.
I would hate Sutton. 0 Mobility. He may be a defensive, physical guy but he's old and slow. No more dinosaurs, please.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Eh, i want Pothier or Corvo the most...skating is important

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Wolfpuck
Carey The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
Eh, i want Pothier or Corvo the most...skating is important
I agree. I was highly impressed with what I saw from Pothier, and I wouldn't mind Corvo back, assuming of course that the price is right.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Id take Pothier over Corvo. A little cheaper, and a little better defensively.

Old
07-03-2010, 03:29 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

It will be interesting to see what Colaiacovo's 2 year deal is worth. I would imagine that would help set Corvo's price since i think they are similar guys, second pairing offense first guys.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote