HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

2010 UFA Targets

Old
07-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
It will be interesting to see what Colaiacovo's 2 year deal is worth. I would imagine that would help set Corvo's price since i think they are similar guys, second pairing offense first guys.
im confused....did Colaiacavo sign somewhere?

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:37 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Reports have been that he resigned with St Louis but the deal wont be announced till after the holiday weekend. Its believed to be a 2 year deal.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Reports have been that he resigned with St Louis but the deal wont be announced till after the holiday weekend. Its believed to be a 2 year deal.
ah gotcha. im seeing that now.

Old
07-05-2010, 08:13 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSoldier15U View Post
Id take Pothier over Corvo. A little cheaper, and a little better defensively.
Given the number of offensive-d already on the roster who don't have great two-way games, I'd agree. But it looks like Corvo's salary requirements won't fit within the current budget. The same may be true of Pothier and it may well come back around to Carson, who reportedly is still in play as an option.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Clark signs with Tampa, another one off our radar..

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:07 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

I dont think we would have come up with enough coin to get Clark, based on the deal he just finished. Im defintely not happy to see him in tampa. IMO the Lightning and the Trashers have gotten better this offseason, we might be in for a long season within our division. the only thing that is strange about this deal is that it gives the Ning 8 Dmen including RFA Paul Ranger. Although maybe Lashoff can be sent down, Smaby cant.

EDIT: Reported deal for Clark is 2 years 3 million per

Last edited by faulkingdynamic: 07-05-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old
07-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

I'll go ahead and say it, as some of you all know i went to UND, I am NOT for bringing Smaby here. He was a good captain and all, good hitter, but unless he vastly improved his game since his college days, he would be no upgrade on Harrison even. Just throwing that out there since you mentioned he cant be sent down.

Old
07-05-2010, 06:48 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

I dont think there will be a trade within the divison...deadline deals are another animal

Old
07-05-2010, 07:03 PM
bleedgreen

clark went for cheap, wonder what our target price is if we didnt go after him? maybe the stevie y factor is already in play.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
I dont think we would have come up with enough coin to get Clark, based on the deal he just finished.

EDIT: Reported deal for Clark is 2 years 3 million per
He signed 2 years for $1.6 million per year.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:06 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
kindof wish we had gotten in on this one, we could easily afford that.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
kindof wish we had gotten in on this one, we could easily afford that.
but I thought the other day Lydman at 3mil per was a little rich for us....

Old
07-05-2010, 07:27 PM
bleedgreen

clark went for half of that.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
clark went for half of that.
I think you misread....his deal is 2 years, 3 mil per. Lydman was 3 years, 3 mil per. same ammount per year, just Lydman was signed 1 more year.

EDIT: ok nevermind. the 3 sources I read earlier all said 2 year, 2 mil per year. now I look on the TSN tracker and it says 1.6 per year.

Old
07-05-2010, 07:48 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

I hope we hear rumblings that JR gave an offer to Clark especially after seeing the price he went for. I really hope it is a case of Clark not wanting to play on a rebuild. Though it is probably more of JR thinking Clark would go for more so he just didnt check in. Am i the only one who after the last couple offseasons is starting to think JR doesnt do due diligence on enough guys. He targets a couple guy knowing they will be cheap and ignores the better player who might be had for less than market value. Seems like we only want to bid on guys who wont have good oraganizations bidding on them. I hate to say it but the further we get away from the cup the more it just feels like JR got lucky with his roster acquisitions coming out of the lockout under the new rules.

Old
07-05-2010, 08:41 PM
snakepliskin

canes management = suckilicious

going to be very hard for me to lay out the coin and 2 hr drive to watch this

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 08:43 PM
snakepliskin

and i thought the ahl team was going to be in charlotte-stupid me

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepliskin View Post

Actually, even if they are losing, I suspect most of these players will at least give 100% effort every night. Guys like Dwyer, LaRose, TKO, Gleason, and Sutter did last year. Whoever is on the roster from the "younger guys" (Boychuk, McBain, Tlusty, Samson, Bowman, Sanguinetti, etc..) will view this as their shot and should give 100%. Heck..even Cole who is on the last year of his contract should be giving 100% effort (if healthy).

Nothing was worse than last year during the 1st half of the season when most of the team was mailing it in. The 5-1 loss against Montreal before the holidays was atrocious. I'd rather watch a team of youth that gives 100% even if they lose than a bunch of aged veterans who mail it in half the time.

I am looking forward to this year. Even if their record stinks, I realize that this is a transition year that will set the stage for the next 5 years IMO. It's time to find out which kids can play and which can't.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:22 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
Actually, even if they are losing, I suspect most of these players will at least give 100% effort every night. Guys like Dwyer, LaRose, TKO, Gleason, and Sutter did last year. Whoever is on the roster from the "younger guys" (Boychuk, McBain, Tlusty, Samson, Bowman, Sanguinetti, etc..) will view this as their shot and should give 100%. Heck..even Cole who is on the last year of his contract should be giving 100% effort (if healthy).

Nothing was worse than last year during the 1st half of the season when most of the team was mailing it in. The 5-1 loss against Montreal before the holidays was atrocious. I'd rather watch a team of youth that gives 100% even if they lose than a bunch of aged veterans who mail it in half the time.

I am looking forward to this year. Even if their record stinks, I realize that this is a transition year that will set the stage for the next 5 years IMO. It's time to find out which kids can play and which can't.
I couldn't agree more, and this brings up the vicious cycle of where the organization is today. Some will take the long-term view and keep going while others will say, I'm not going to watch the team struggle. There is plenty to criticize how the organization is run but that's the fundamental dilemma.

If they spend like last year and still struggle, the fans with short-term interest don't go and the fanbase isn't established well enough - in large part due to the lack of a comprehensive marketing plan to attract a wider geography - to withstand those fall-offs. The team then purges contracts at the deadline to save money and fans complain.

On a relative NHL level, the tickets are still very affordable and more long-term perspecitve is needed by the fans, IMO. I was perfectly fine that some of the second tier D-men (e.g. Tallinder, etc.) weren't signed because they aren't going to be difference makers on a team in transition.

Old
07-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
If they spend like last year and still struggle, the fans with short-term interest don't go and the fanbase isn't established well enough - in large part due to the lack of a comprehensive marketing plan to attract a wider geography - to withstand those fall-offs. The team then purges contracts at the deadline to save money and fans complain.

On a relative NHL level, the tickets are still very affordable and more long-term perspecitve is needed by the fans, IMO. I was perfectly fine that some of the second tier D-men (e.g. Tallinder, etc.) weren't signed because they aren't going to be difference makers on a team in transition.
In the first part, I agree the marketing needs to improve, and I hope the Checkers will help via their affiliation and marketing.

On the second tier defensemen, I think a bargain can still be found in time for the season. In fact, if it's someone fairly young I think we could see a good pickup by Rutherford if he finds someone less expensive looking to prove themselves further. Seidenberg with Florida last year is the maddening example, but I'm keeping an eye on rumors about Shaone Morrisonn and haven't seen any yet. He'd certainly be worth a flier to replace Harrison on the bottom pairing at worst.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:55 AM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post

Well said. And wasn't it just last year during that first half that people were saying they would rather watch the kids put forth the effort and lose over aging vets who just suck on a nightly basis. Well you shall get your wish.

And lets not forget that those kids gave us some fun games to watch that 2nd half, once the roster was trimmed of said vets.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:56 AM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepliskin View Post

I totally understand the frustration of rooting for a small-market, tight-budget team. I've been a fan of this organization all the way back to the WHA days. But I don't understand this statement.

As far as I can tell, all we've done since March is dump a lot of dead weight. Corvo, Aaron Ward, Wallin, Walker, Alberts, Yelle, Legace (maybe Carson/Pothier) and the deadest of the dead, Rod Brind'Amour. The only guy of any real value that we lost is Ray Whitney, and he mentally checked out after the trade deadline and just turned 38.

Sure, we didn't dip into the free agent market to fill any holes, but seriously, Brett Clark is going to make that big a difference? Toni Lydman at $9 million over three years (he'll be 36 when that deal finishes up)? I'm glad we didn't sign anyone at these prices. A lot of these teams are going to end up regretting these contracts in a year or two. I'd really rather we didn't get into another can't-wait-for-this-guy-to-come-off-the-books situation.

We've got eight legit NHL forwards and an All-Star caliber goalie under contract that a lot of small-market teams would love to have as a solid base. Dwyer is serviceable as a bottom six center, and who knows about Tlusty. Maybe he can handle being the 8th top nine guy. If so, all we need is for one of our kids to step into a top nine role and one to hold down a fourth-line wing spot. With the kids we have, that shouldn't be too much to ask to have a representative NHL forward group.

The defense is pretty shaky, but again, there are two legit guys back there and potentially a third very good player in McBain. On top of that, we're obviously not done there, since we only have five guys under contract. There's probably a trade coming here. Let's see what that brings before we go into all-out panic mode.

I'm not saying everyone should run out and get a mini-plan to guarantee their playoff tickets, but I'm looking forward to this season a whole lot more than I was looking forward to last year when we blocked all of our kids by handing jobs to a handful of borderline NHL veterans. These guys are going to play hard, which is something we didn't see a whole lot of last season. Last year's team had the stench of aging veterans hanging on to collect paychecks, and it dragged everyone down. I think we'll see some big improvement out of our younger veterans this year, especially guys playing for contracts (Cole/Samsonov) because it's just plain going to be more fun coming to the rink.

All in all, if you paid to see games last year, I can't think of a single reason you wouldn't do so this year. This is entertainment, and I can virtually guarantee this year's team will be infinitely more entertaining that last year's.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:11 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
In the first part, I agree the marketing needs to improve, and I hope the Checkers will help via their affiliation and marketing.

On the second tier defensemen, I think a bargain can still be found in time for the season. In fact, if it's someone fairly young I think we could see a good pickup by Rutherford if he finds someone less expensive looking to prove themselves further. Seidenberg with Florida last year is the maddening example, but I'm keeping an eye on rumors about Shaone Morrisonn and haven't seen any yet. He'd certainly be worth a flier to replace Harrison on the bottom pairing at worst.
Someone like that would be worth it, a younger guy who is affordable. But I was referring moreso to the guys like Tallinder and Lydman who are solid second tier guys but who still cost $3M/year.

However, I think the Seidenberg example that gets thrown around a lot here is a bit out of context. He signed a bargain deal with FLA right before training camp because he priced himself out of the market. He was reportedly looking for a 3x3 deal when he was negotiating with the Canes and given his uneven performance I can understand why those numbers weren't met. It's now 20/20 hindsight to look back on the deal he signed with the Panthers.

Old
07-06-2010, 03:01 PM
AD Skinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I totally understand the frustration of rooting for a small-market, tight-budget team. I've been a fan of this organization all the way back to the WHA days. But I don't understand this statement.

All in all, if you paid to see games last year, I can't think of a single reason you wouldn't do so this year. This is entertainment, and I can virtually guarantee this year's team will be infinitely more entertaining that last year's.
Good post kev. I only trimmed it for brevity, all in all it's good stuff.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
However, I think the Seidenberg example that gets thrown around a lot here is a bit out of context. He signed a bargain deal with FLA right before training camp because he priced himself out of the market. He was reportedly looking for a 3x3 deal when he was negotiating with the Canes and given his uneven performance I can understand why those numbers weren't met. It's now 20/20 hindsight to look back on the deal he signed with the Panthers.
My point is that Seidenberg last year (pricing himself beyond the market and having to go back to a less expensive deal later with whoever had space and ice time) is a great example of what Rutherford is looking for this year.

The problem is that mentioning Seidenberg creates problems despite the legitimate questions after 08-09 that you point out.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote