HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL 2 Night is being canceled after Saturday's Episode

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2004, 06:32 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
NHL 2 Night is being canceled after Saturday's Episode

We put together a petition over at the boards at gamefaqs.com and we need more people to sign.

http://************************/NHL2NITE/petition.html

Hockey barely gets covered on ESPN as it is. If this show is canceled, then there will be little to no hockey on it at all. Living in the SF Bay Area, there isn't much hockey to watch on TV, so NHL 2 Night is about all I can watch. Please sign and spread the word about the petition.

Old
05-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Ender

I just signed. Man, ESPN is trying to get rid of everything hockey.

Old
05-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Spacemania
Recovering Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Hey, you think it's bad in the Bay area? It's worse here in the central valley. There ALL basketball nuts here. I swear in some of the local reports, they focus strictly on sharks losses just because there jelous that the Sharks did better than their precious Kings >.> I'm so glad they lost, they simply don't deserve a championship. I hope those Maloof brothers get a hockey team just so the Sharks can whip their ass :p

Old
05-23-2004, 09:25 AM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Interesting, since NBC has the NHL TV contract for next year ESPN is dumping all
their expenses for pro hockey - i wonder if they'll cover the entry draft??
Look for many of the ESPN hockey people to apply and end up at NBC.

Has NBC mentioned anything about their plans to market hockey? I hope
we're not going to see Peter Puck again

Old
05-24-2004, 09:41 AM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

It appears that ESPN still has some kind on NHL contract next season
based on a article in the SJ merc over the weekend. That makes this happening
more courious. Perhaps the panger and berry were sick

Old
05-24-2004, 06:30 PM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzank
It appears that ESPN still has some kind on NHL contract next season
based on a article in the SJ merc over the weekend. That makes this happening
more courious. Perhaps the panger and berry were sick
ESPN2 will be covering all the NHL games next year in their new contract (nothing on ESPN until the playoffs, and nothing on ABC [NBC won those rights]).

NHL2Night had horrid ratings, and I don't blame them for cancelling it. The highlights of the 2001 World Series of Poker probably get higher ratings. I won't miss it at all. Though I do like Buccigross, the idiocy of Pang, Ferraro, and Melrose led to me not watching it at all this year.

Not to mention, they rarely (if ever) taped a west coast edition, so all the highlights were about the eastern conference.

Old
05-24-2004, 08:57 PM
Baron Von Shark

NHL2NITE's producer was horrible. They dug their own grave. A few seconds of highlights from each game, barely any post-game itnerviews, etc. Instead, they played junk like Melrose's greatest mullets or Melrose's bes dressed coaches. Whoever the producer was, he was an idiot. It was not a real highlight show. NBA2NITE and Baseball Tonight are much, much better...a lot more in depth. Obviously, their ratings are high also because the sports are popular, but I am trying to point out they don't have all of that stupid fluff, and show real coverage.

Old
05-24-2004, 09:27 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
I must be one of the only few people on this show that liked NHL 2night. In fact, i'm still mad at my self for falling asleep so early on Saturday night because I really wanted to catch, the best moments of NHL 2night. I wish the show was still around.

It's easy for you guys in the west coast, because you can turn on the game on FSN, or watch the highlights...but living in Wisconsin, Before 4 years ago when I got center ice, and every year since, I was stuck with waiting for NHL 2night to come on, watch the Sharks 3-6 times a year on espn 2, and wake up every mourning turning on CNN to see what the score was. I remember waking up and turning on CNN and finding out that the Sharks aquired Ed Belfour.

So in a way NHL 2night does hold a special spot in my heart, because I grew up around it. It's hard to see any National t.v. of the sport I love falling down the tubes.

Old
05-25-2004, 05:55 PM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Thanks for the details on the EPSN contract and coverage next year. I hadn't seen
this (I do have a day job :-). I'll miss NHL2NITE as a show - I love hockey
and will take it in any format.

Old
05-25-2004, 06:43 PM
sharkyz15

Send a message via AIM to sharkyz15 Send a message via Yahoo to sharkyz15
I liked nhl2night because it was the only hockey show I had
But yes, there were a lot of problems

1. Yes the producer must have been smoking something by putting on segments like "name that shark"

2. The biggest reasone that baseball2night and nbafastbreak are better are b/c of their insiders ie peter gammons and steven a smith
NHL2night needed a guy that could give rumors or rumblings around the league

3. Marry Melrose w/ his inacurate detials ie korky being big and physical and lack of ability of breaking down plays

maybe it is me as a sharks fan since we get drew remenda breaking down plays

I think Drew Remenda could do 10x better job

I think a unique personallity like the nba has with barkley would help

to late now thow

Old
05-25-2004, 08:04 PM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkyz15
2. The biggest reasone that baseball2night and nbafastbreak are better are b/c of their insiders ie peter gammons and steven a smith

3. Marry Melrose w/ his inacurate detials ie korky being big and physical and lack of ability of breaking down plays
For anyone wondering what to do next year, I highly suggest getting the Center Ice package, because that lets you watch the canadian broadcasts of some games (which include Hockey Hotstove during the 2nd intermission on Saturday Night Hockey Night in Canada games -- so long as you ignore Al Strachan) and Bob McKenzie on TSN's intermission show... and then there's also the SportsNet guys...

I just wish they'd cover one of those networks trade deadline show on Center Ice.

Old
05-25-2004, 08:10 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Yeah thank god for NHL center ice man.

ESPN News hour show on the NHL trade deadline, turned into a half hour show about that and a half hour about how the Todd Bertuzzi hit would screw up the NHL. UGH!

Also they spent most of there time talking about the Avs and stuff, I think the Sharks trade with Curtis Brown got 12 seconds of air time.

I think TSN needs to be carried over the dish.

Old
05-25-2004, 08:15 PM
mage23

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
Yeah thank god for NHL center ice man.

ESPN News hour show on the NHL trade deadline, turned into a half hour show about that and a half hour about how the Todd Bertuzzi hit would screw up the NHL. UGH!

Also they spent most of there time talking about the Avs and stuff, I think the Sharks trade with Curtis Brown got 12 seconds of air time.

I think TSN needs to be carried over the dish.
I'd love it if DirecTV carried TSN, or even CBC for that matter (though, luckily I can watch "The National" (CBC's news show) via News World Internation on the dish...).

I watched the ESPNews special too... and you're right on. Although, to the average fan, 30 minutes on Bertuzzi is probably more interesting than finding out about Brown to SJ.

Old
05-28-2004, 05:43 AM
dumpnchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzank
Interesting, since NBC has the NHL TV contract for next year ESPN is dumping all
their expenses for pro hockey - i wonder if they'll cover the entry draft??
Look for many of the ESPN hockey people to apply and end up at NBC.

Has NBC mentioned anything about their plans to market hockey? I hope
we're not going to see Peter Puck again
ESPN2 keeps the draft.

Old
05-28-2004, 05:45 AM
dumpnchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkyz15
They used to have Jim McKenzie's North of the Border and he was best insider they ever had.

Melrose didn't have a clue to he was talking about ever.

Old
06-03-2004, 12:45 AM
section 117

Closest NHL2Night had to a North American insider was E. J. Hradek, who was a myna bird. Didn't shed any light into anything you could read on the internet.

For a few episodes they had Neil Smith (former Rangers GM), and he was great.

Thank God for Center Ice.

Closed Thread