HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

High End Nuclear Deterrent Free Agent Winger to be Targetted

Old
06-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Usual_Suspect

vCash: 500
High End Nuclear Deterrent Free Agent Winger to be Targetted

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/podcastpl...id=DL|EDM|home

Bob Stauffer interview with Jim Vandermeer - 3:09 mark

Quote:
I'd spoken to a couple of senior Oiler management sources over the last couple days and they expressed "No matter what we are going to upgrade our toughness."
It's my belief the Oilers are gonna target a high end nuclear deterrent as a winger come free agency.
Wingers:
Derek Boogaard
Raitis Ivanans
Eric Boulton
Georges Laraque?

Centers:
Zenon Konopka

Any other possibilities?

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:39 PM
caley

Was there not a reference to it being a tough guy who could play a regular shift? Or am I wrong? If it is one who could take a regular shift, I'd be more thinking it's

-Konopka
-Jamal Mayers
-Matt Hendricks
-Evgeny Artyukhin
-Jody Shelley

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Perfect_Drug

Please not a pylon with brick fists.

I would like someone who can actually play. Like a Dave Manson type player, but on the wing.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Usual_Suspect

I didn't hear the whole show today. Just the clip. I'm not sure about the regular shift comment.

The part that interests me is why state that it would be a winger? Unless he just misspoke.

Old
06-30-2010, 07:43 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

I would puke if they gave Laraque and offer. I hope they get somebody who can play and doesn't fight when it's "planned".

Need a balls to the walls guy who takes care of business.

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Spawn

-If- the Oilers are going for a nuclear deterrent. Then go for the biggest in Boogaard. Although, I'm not sure that kind of player is needed anymore.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
-If- the Oilers are going for a nuclear deterrent. Then go for the biggest in Boogaard. Although, I'm not sure that kind of player is needed anymore.
"High End Nuclear Deterrent" sounds like he means Boogaard to me.

Especially because he didn't say "forward" (Konopka).

Old
06-30-2010, 07:45 PM
DelusionOIL

Shelley FTW.

DelusionOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:47 PM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Wade Belak is a terrific fighter and supposedly a good dressing room guy. Boogaard is definitely the most fearsome, but I despise him.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:47 PM
smokersarejokers

Boulton...I guess?

No to Boogaard and Laraque, that's for sure.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:48 PM
tv14

Ive been wanting one or two of Asham, Burish and Eager for a while now. Although its less likely to get Eager, I hope we could get one of Burish or Asham as both are UFAs. Atleast these tough guys can play hockey too.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:51 PM
hodge7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I've heard this a lot since the lockout, but you can't argue that Boogaard hasn't been a genuine pain in the *** to play against. I can only imagine what it's like to play against him and the psychological impact it has on the opposing players. So yes, I think it's a good idea to have a player of his ilk if it makes someone think twice before cheap shotting the young guys.

hodge7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:51 PM
One Trick Pony*

Konopka and Burish please.

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
Ive been wanting one or two of Asham, Burish and Eager for a while now. Although its less likely to get Eager, I hope we could get one of Burish or Asham as both are UFAs. Atleast these tough guys can play hockey too.
Asham is who I would want.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:54 PM
MDupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge7 View Post
I've heard this a lot since the lockout, but you can't argue that Boogaard hasn't been a genuine pain in the *** to play against. I can only imagine what it's like to play against him and the psychological impact it has on the opposing players. So yes, I think it's a good idea to have a player of his ilk if it makes someone think twice before cheap shotting the young guys.
I agree, there is only one option when it comes to nuclear detterrent and that is "The Boogeyman".

MDupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:54 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
I didn't hear the whole show today. Just the clip. I'm not sure about the regular shift comment.

The part that interests me is why state that it would be a winger? Unless he just misspoke.
I think most people have Colin Fraser penciled in as the 4th line centre, so if it's a forward it would prob be a winger...of course it could be a D-man of some sort, but if we are to believe that we are getting a D-man back for Souray then we will have 5 spots left for Whitney, Gilbert, Smid, Vandermeer, and then maybe Johnson, a UFA, etc...seems like a winger might be easier to get a regular shift

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:56 PM
McQuixote

I too hate Boogaard. Please let his hockey career atrophy and die elsewhere.

McQuixote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Traktor*

I suspect Edmonton will target Boogaard as hard as some teams will target Kovalchuk.

From Tambellini's perspective the club isn't going to be anywhere near the cap the next couple of seasons so overpaying in terms of salary isn't a huge concern. The thing that concerns me is the term; Boogie will most likely receive offers from multiple clubs and his agent will probably push for a 3-4 year contract.

I'm not usually a fan of goons but the bottom line is Edmonton is going to have a tonne of youth in the lineup next year and they are already the softest club in the NHL. If you're going to get a goon you might as well get the toughest one out there.

If we can bring in Boogie, Scott and Burish to go along with Vandermeer it would go along way in helping restore the clubs rep as being hard to play against.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

If someone takes liberties with your young players, then you want all Hell to break loose.

If D.J. King and Brewer are being dealt for Souray, then King is your tough winger, although not a nuclear deterrant. I'd like to see the Oilers pick up a big, tough defenseman too. John Scott? He's certainly a nuclear deterrant but can he skate well enough?

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:59 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

I despised the guy, but I wouldn't care if the Oil got Boogard.

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:00 PM
McQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
I suspect Edmonton will target Boogaard as hard as some teams will target Kovalchuk.

From Tambellini's perspective the club isn't going to be anywhere near the cap the next couple of seasons so overpaying in terms of salary isn't a huge concern. The thing that concerns me is the term; Boogie will most likely receive offers from multiple clubs and his agent will probably push for a 3-4 year contract.

I'm not usually a fan of goons but the bottom line is Edmonton is going to have a tonne of youth in the lineup next year and they are already the softest club in the NHL. If you're going to get a goon you might as well get the toughest one out there.

If we can bring in Boogie, Scott and Burish to go along with Vandermeer it would go along way in helping restore the clubs rep as being hard to play against.
I don't know if Boogaard makes a team hard to play against. I think he makes a team have to worry about knee-injuries or concussions for about 4 minutes a game (while making his teammates worry about their plus-minus for the same amount of time).

Was Minnesota a hard-to-play-against team for most of his career? Hard to watch maybe, but that had little to do with the Boogeyman.

McQuixote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:00 PM
SDig14

I wouldn't mind seeing a Jones-Fraser-Asham 4th line next year

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:07 PM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
I don't know if Boogaard makes a team hard to play against. I think he makes a team have to worry about knee-injuries or concussions for about 4 minutes a game (while making his teammates worry about their plus-minus for the same amount of time).

Was Minnesota a hard-to-play-against team for most of his career? Hard to watch maybe, but that had little to do with the Boogeyman.
Are you kidding? He destroyed our players. Every year, somebody got hurt by the Boogeyman.

I was scared just watching. How do you think our team of cream puffs felt?

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:10 PM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a Jones-Fraser-Asham 4th line next year
this...

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:11 PM
hodge7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Yeah, maybe he didn't make the team better in the +/-, but the liberties taken with our players over the past few seasons makes a guy like him valuable for other reasons.

Hemsky has been flat out drilled numerous times the past few seasons, and what has happened as a consequence? Huggy Bear?

You've got a huge investment in youth in the org. How do you protect your investment? He's an answer to that. We don't need someone to help us get to the cup right now, but I think the Oilers do need someone to make sure that Hall, Eberle, MPS, etc, don't get blown up.

hodge7 is offline   Reply With Quote