HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres spending myth

Old
11-07-2010, 07:37 PM
HogtownSabresfan

vCash: 500
Sabres spending myth

It never ends. People who write about Sabres are always missing the point about the team's spending. Usually it's people from outside local media.
It's not that they don't have money -- it's how it is spent. This team has been near the cap last two years and is only $3.8-million under now.
Problem is petty stingy ways on things like a backup goalie, dumping guy like Kennedy for a few bucks (I'm not saying he was a big loss, just the way it was done)
Miss the boat on locking in some guys like Drury/Briere/Campbell and then panic and lock in guys like Vanek/Pominville/Connolly.
IT'S HOW THE MONEY WAS SPENT, NOT THAT IT WASN'T SPENT.

Today Larry Felsher of news continues the BS.

But the Sabres' business strategy under owner Tom Golisano has been to spend only as much money as it takes to put a team on the ice and since he now lives in Florida he may not be privy to the booing unrest among his customers.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle244244.ece

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 08:43 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
While I do agree, the fact is the entire offseason the team was pimped as a Stanley cup contender by the front office.

When ownership says that, they should back it using every possible resource to win a championship.

The sabres are spending average. The only contender spending below us right now is Washington, and looking at their talent level, there is little comparison. And they will probably add a significant player between now and the end of the season.

I stated this before and I'll state it again, ownership, instead of saying "this is what we want, what will it cost" is saying "What can we get for this?"

I agree with you 100% about the mis-allocated resources, which is why I think Regier should no longer be our GM. But if you are going to pimp this team as a contender, spend to cap.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:19 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
While I do agree, the fact is the entire offseason the team was pimped as a Stanley cup contender by the front office.

When ownership says that, they should back it using every possible resource to win a championship.

The sabres are spending average. The only contender spending below us right now is Washington, and looking at their talent level, there is little comparison. And they will probably add a significant player between now and the end of the season.

I stated this before and I'll state it again, ownership, instead of saying "this is what we want, what will it cost" is saying "What can we get for this?"

I agree with you 100% about the mis-allocated resources, which is why I think Regier should no longer be our GM. But if you are going to pimp this team as a contender, spend to cap.
Fair enough but $3.8-million is not why they suck. You're point is taken. I will add this is this first year there are below the cap to point of it meaning a decent player. Previously it might have been $1-million or less which you can argue you need for cap flexibility.

Old
11-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Sabretip

Quote:

Great post, Doak - I agree with every word of it!

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Geico4yoMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Great post, Doak - I agree with every word of it!
I agree as well. Not only do they suck at making contracts, they keep the wrong guys entirely. They took arguably one of the best, if not the best teams in the NHL into the basement in just 4 years.

Geico4yoMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 12:02 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geico4yoMoney View Post
I agree as well. Not only do they suck at making contracts, they keep the wrong guys entirely. They took arguably one of the best, if not the best teams in the NHL into the basement in just 4 years.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:

Being under the cap would be a huge advantage if this team were contenders at the trade deadline. There are a ton of players available when the other team doesn't have to take salary back.

Darcy should be fired for not accepting Briere's 5 year / 25 Mill contract that Danny proposed. Plain. Simple.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:11 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
Being under the cap would be a huge advantage if this team were contenders at the trade deadline.
What difference would that make?

Over the last 12 years, the Sabres have often been contenders at the trade deadline, with cap room to spare, and what did they go out and get?

Seriously, looking at a list of the Sabres' trade-deadline rentals is an exercise in comedy.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 11:40 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Bryan Murray says: The thabres are going to myth the playoffs.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 01:41 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:

Golisano spoke about the Sabres this off season??????

Sorry, but I don't count Quinn as ownership. I see him more as a manager working in the place of an absentee owner.

Quote:
What is your definition of a contender?

Tampa Bay is nipping at Washington's heels and they are spending over $7M less than the Sabres this year.

Columbus, Dallas, and LA are all in the top 8 out West today and they are spending less than the Sabres are.

I'm a lot less worried about "how committed to winning" ownership is than I am with how committed ownership is to the status quo of Quinn, Regier, and Ruff.

Quote:
I have no problem with ownership giving the GM a middle of the road player budget to work within in today's NHL.

That is not a budget that precludes winning a title if the money is well spent.

Quote:
What would it matter, really?

If Regier can't wisely spend the money that he's been given in the past, would giving him $3M more to spend this past off season really have amounted to a whole lot of changes?

If the Sabres had a GM that was spending wisely but couldn't retain key guys because the budget was the salary cap floor, then I'd be saying that ownership needs to up the player payroll budget.

But, I don't see that as the Sabres' problem today.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Golisano spoke about the Sabres this off season??????

Sorry, but I don't count Quinn as ownership. I see him more as a manager working in the place of an absentee owner.

What is your definition of a contender?

Tampa Bay is nipping at Washington's heels and they are spending over $7M less than the Sabres this year.

Columbus, Dallas, and LA are all in the top 8 out West today and they are spending less than the Sabres are.

to be fair, Tampa is spending properly, investing in top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen... they don't have a 2.5 million dollar 4th line center. they dont have Hecht and Pominville type contracts. they have a good top 6, and 3 good defensemen, and a bunch of hard worker's filling out the bottom 6 and bottom pair on cheap contracts.

Tampa/Yzerman are following the mold I wish the Sabres would follow. But that would mean signing UFAs, making trades, and making the team better. Not just spending more on depth and continuing to believe in the core.

When you look at the talent level the Sabres are spending on... its almost a joke.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 02:22 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
to be fair, Tampa is spending properly, investing in top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen... they don't have a 2.5 million dollar 4th line center. they dont have Hecht and Pominville type contracts. they have a good top 6, and 3 good defensemen, and a bunch of hard worker's filling out the bottom 6 and bottom pair on cheap contracts.

Tampa/Yzerman are following the mold I wish the Sabres would follow. But that would mean signing UFAs, making trades, and making the team better. Not just spending more on depth and continuing to believe in the core.

When you look at the talent level the Sabres are spending on... its almost a joke.
I believe the Sabres biggest issue is how they spend what they spend as opposed to how much they spend.

And that leads me to have a much bigger issue with Golisano keeping the trio of Quinn, Regier, and Ruff employed regardless of the results on the ice.

The culture of an organization starts at the top. And the culture that the Sabres have today isn't one that is conducive to winning a Cup, IMO.

Old
11-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I believe the Sabres biggest issue is how they spend what they spend as opposed to how much they spend.

And that leads me to have a much bigger issue with Golisano keeping the trio of Quinn, Regier, and Ruff employed regardless of the results on the ice.

The culture of an organization starts at the top. And the culture that the Sabres have today isn't one that is conducive to winning a Cup, IMO.
i completely agree.

the panic induced contracts of Vanek and Pominville, along the catering to Gaustad... as well as the 3rd Connolly extension because they had no one to replace him... ALL of those contracts are bad decisions in hindsight.

Old
11-08-2010, 02:31 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
i completely agree.

the panic induced contracts of Vanek and Pominville, along the catering to Gaustad... as well as the 3rd Connolly extension because they had no one to replace him... ALL of those contracts are bad decisions in hindsight.
I'm not a huge fan of the Hecht extension, either.

And Miller is up for debate to me because I don't know if any goalie is worth what the Sabres are paying him.

Roy's deal is the only one that I really like.

Old
11-08-2010, 02:59 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:

And not to mention that Tampa doesn't ignore goaltending either like Philly does. They have two solid goalies in Smith and Ellis who only take up about $3.7 mil in cap space.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of the Hecht extension, either.

And Miller is up for debate to me because I don't know if any goalie is worth what the Sabres are paying him.

Roy's deal is the only one that I really like.
agreed.

The Hecht deal is fine if he's the #5 or 6 paid forward on a team where the top 4 forwards are actually worth their big contracts.

I love Jochen... slightly overpaid? Maybe.

Old
11-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
And not to mention that Tampa doesn't ignore goaltending either like Philly does. They have two solid goalies in Smith and Ellis who only take up about $3.7 mil in cap space.
yea, they are making it work... barely. the goaltending hasn't been good, it's been just enough to win though.

They are an exciting team, and remind me of the 05-06 Sabres when Biron and Miller both played, and we solid, but inspectacular... but it didn't matter because when they needed a goal, Buffalo could score, almost at will. That's what Tampa is doing.

Old
11-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Dabs21Nike

Steven Stamkos being one of the top players in league while on an entry level deal also helps their salary cap space. When he gets an extension this summer at 7 or 8 million dollars per year then we'll see what they're doing with their cap space. Not disagreeing with anything thats been said, just pointing that out.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabs21Nike View Post
Steven Stamkos being one of the top players in league while on an entry level deal also helps their salary cap space. When he gets an extension this summer at 7 or 8 million dollars per year then we'll see what they're doing with their cap space. Not disagreeing with anything thats been said, just pointing that out.
you can basically add Gagne's useless 5 million to Stamkos, and you havent added to the cap at all...

Old
11-08-2010, 06:00 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Bryan Murray says: The thabres are going to myth the playoffs.
Why do you think this is funny? The man has a disability and you are a moron. Can some moderator remove this bit of hate from thread. It's inappropriate.

Old
11-08-2010, 06:06 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
i completely agree.

Panic is a great way to describe it. You have Briere/Drury locked in and maybe you let Vanek go and have four 1st rounders.
Pominville was just dumb. He wasn't even close to UFA. He still had one RFA year left.
And, the Miller deal is bad as someone else climbed.
Measure of a good contract is whether someone else would trade for it. Miller/Roy would be hot commodities. We would have a lone line for Miller.

Old
11-08-2010, 09:57 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:
yea, they are making it work... barely. the goaltending hasn't been good, it's been just enough to win though.

They are an exciting team, and remind me of the 05-06 Sabres when Biron and Miller both played, and we solid, but inspectacular... but it didn't matter because when they needed a goal, Buffalo could score, almost at will. That's what Tampa is doing.
I just think I'd feel much better having either of them in net then I would if I were Philly with Leighton or Boucher. I honestly don't think I'd feel that much better with Leighton in net than I do whenever Lalime plays for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Why do you think this is funny? The man has a disability and you are a moron. Can some moderator remove this bit of hate from thread. It's inappropriate.
Calm down it's called a joke.

Old
11-08-2010, 09:59 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabs21Nike View Post
Won't they have to resign Hedman after next season as well. Not that he'll be getting anywhere near what Stamkos will he'll prolly get a decent raise.

Old
11-09-2010, 06:09 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Won't they have to resign Hedman after next season as well. Not that he'll be getting anywhere near what Stamkos will he'll prolly get a decent raise.
Yes, Hedman is a RFA in the summer of 2012.

Just like Myers & Ennis.

Old
11-09-2010, 06:33 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
I just think I'd feel much better having either of them in net then I would if I were Philly with Leighton or Boucher. I honestly don't think I'd feel that much better with Leighton in net than I do whenever Lalime plays for us.

Calm down it's called a joke.
Why don't you make some racist jokes too. Do you get it. He has a disability. Would you make a joke about someone in a wheelchair. You don't get it do you.
I've known people with speech impediments, Children. It's torture for them. Many do through periods of suicidal thoughts.
I know people will label this political correctness but it's not. It's about thinking about others. Some stuff is NOT fair game.