HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Versteeg & Sweatt to Toronto for Stalberg, DiDomenico & Paradis

Old
07-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Tommy Hawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardebut30 View Post
I can't believe he wouldn't sign with Toronto as it'd be a good spot for him to work himself into the roster within a year or two. He probably could've seen a few games this year with them.

Him and his agent should go piss in the wind.
His agent looks like he didn't research Burke very well. Burke is a tough SOB and is not afraid to walk away from players...

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 03:50 PM
WarriorofTime

I wonder if Versteeg can improve on his finishing/decision making. If he can then he can really become great in my opinion. He has great skill and terrific hands.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Gardebut30

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
His agent looks like he didn't research Burke very well. Burke is a tough SOB and is not afraid to walk away from players...
It can also be said that Burke didn't research Billy Sweatt and his agent very well since they refused his "generous" offer.

Gardebut30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
From what I understand he wants a 1 way deal ,,,, I honestly dont see how he ends up with that
Based on my recollection of the CBA, he is restricted to an Entry Level Contract and all ELCs must be two-way deals.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
LOL @ Toronto, Toronto fans and Sweatt.
Really? Why the hate? Almost every Leaf fan I know was rooting for you guys to end your drought, despite the fact that it'd make ours the longest.

Old
07-17-2010, 06:29 PM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
Based on my recollection of the CBA, he is restricted to an Entry Level Contract and all ELCs must be two-way deals.
Would him being a college player that has completed all his years there play any part in what his upcoming contract would be?

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshinaya View Post
Would him being a college player that has completed all his years there play any part in what his upcoming contract would be?
I don't believe so - the requirements are based on age. As a 22 year old, IIRC he must sign a 2 year entry level contract. The deal Blake Wheeler signed with the Bruins was an entry-level contract. Gilroy was old enough to avoid these restrictions, an entirely different case.

I contacted Scott Norton right after the deal was made and asked how confident he was that a deal could be reached between Sweatt and the Leafs and he gave a very non-committal answer, which kind of surprised me. "Too early to tell." This was before the offer that Norton acknowledged was a "generous one". It seems as if Sweatt has a specific destination in mind, IMO, since he could only be squabbling over bonus money. The opportunity would definitely be better here than in other places.

Old
07-17-2010, 06:44 PM
HappyGilmourr

lol that f***er won't sign with us either. If he doesn't think he will get a good opportunity here in TORONTO where does he think he will get a good chance? Whatever.

Anyways I have a question for you folks. In your honest opinion is Versteeg just a 3rd liner or is he a good second liner that can score 25-30 goals? What do you think his projections are for next season.

At a maple leaf site called Mapleleafshotstove.com when Stalberg was a leaf there was a thread that was predicting Stalberg's projections. The consensus was he will be a 20 goal scorer, 35- 40 point guy in 2010-11. My estimate was 21 goals 14 assists for 35 points.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
Given the ice time and quality ice time he is likely to get in Toronto 25 goals is a reasonable expectation.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
Really? Why the hate? Almost every Leaf fan I know was rooting for you guys to end your drought, despite the fact that it'd make ours the longest.
Because we still hate you and the North Stars

Just because you left our division (Or in case of North Stars ceased to exist and relocated to Dallas) doesn't mean we should like you

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 01:39 AM
IJReilly

Quote:
In your honest opinion is Versteeg just a 3rd liner or is he a good second liner that can score 25-30 goals? What do you think his projections are for next season.
Versteeg is great. Yes, he will have his share of WTF moments throughout the season, but his production on both ends of the ice will more than make up for any mistakes. Toronto fans will love him. Given the right opportunity (ice time + supporting cast) I think 25 goals & 60 points is within the realm of possibility.

IJReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 01:49 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJReilly View Post
Versteeg is great. Yes, he will have his share of WTF moments throughout the season, but his production on both ends of the ice will more than make up for any mistakes. Toronto fans will love him. Given the right opportunity (ice time + supporting cast) I think 25 goals & 60 points is within the realm of possibility.
That is true but it also should be a worry about his streaky play

He disappeared for a good chunk of season in January. If that happens in Toronto this year the media/fans will eat him alive especially since he will have a top 6 role

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 02:09 AM
crimsonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
That is true but it also should be a worry about his streaky play

He disappeared for a good chunk of season in January. If that happens in Toronto this year the media/fans will eat him alive especially since he will have a top 6 role
Agreed. Versteeg is very good, but when he hits a cold spell he really drops off for a while.

crimsonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:27 AM
southerncross116

My take on Versteeg is dependent on how much ice time Toronto let's him have. He was sort of a forward without a "regular" slot in the sense that he is not your typical 3rd line winger -so I suppose with more ice time and a regular 2nd or 1st line shift he could bag more points.

Under those conditions, I wouldn't think that a 30+ goal season would be out of the question. I get the sense that he is the type of guy that might get about as many assists as goals -unlike a guy like Buff that Atlanta got who is a classic "Cy Young Award Winner" -at least as a forward. So for Versteeg -barring injuries- I'd go something like 45-60 points about evenly divided between goals/assists probably pretty close to average as to Toronto's average +/- ratings (which means basically if the ML have a rough year defensively Versteeg isn't going to be a guy that stands out above the other guys... however if the team there has a decent defense to average - maybe about break even to +10 would be my guess. He isn't that chippy of a guy -so you know probably your average amount of PiM not over the top -just your average slick forward with an offensive upside and probably average to below average hitting ability.

Just a guess.

southerncross116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Because we still hate you and the North Stars

Just because you left our division (Or in case of North Stars ceased to exist and relocated to Dallas) doesn't mean we should like you
One-sided hate is pretty lame, don't be like Vancouver fans.

Old
07-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

This deal gets better

Versteeg for Stalberg + Paradis + DiDo

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 02:36 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Sweatt is no loss. If he ever amounts to anything more then an AHL checker that gets a cup of coffee or two I'll be very, very surprised.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 07:38 PM
southerncross116

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Sweatt is no loss. If he ever amounts to anything more then an AHL checker that gets a cup of coffee or two I'll be very, very surprised.
I agree with the Sweatt being no loss ... but I think he has all the skills to be an AHL all offense- no check all star that never amounts to anything but at most a couple of games in the NHL with some random team. . . well maybe ECHL that gets a cup of coffee in the AHL ... lots of those guys about, relatively speaking. I don't blame Toronto for not giving in - I mean what is this guy anyways? He ought to be grateful he even gets paid to play.

southerncross116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 11:06 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Guy's game is all skating, hustle, and forechecking. No offense to speak of whatsoever.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 07:16 PM
CommonAnomaly*

Its going to be interesting to see what chicagos bottom 6 looks like to start next season. To go from being arguably the deepest team in the nhl to swiss cheese ........ gonna be fun to watch how they fill the holes.

CommonAnomaly* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonAnomaly View Post
Its going to be interesting to see what chicagos bottom 6 looks like to start next season. To go from being arguably the deepest team in the nhl to swiss cheese ........ gonna be fun to watch how they fill the holes.
Swiss cheese? Anyway, don't waste your time getting excited about how the Hawks will fill their bottom six... i'll tell you how.

A combination of: Bolland, Skille, Dowell, Bickell, Makarov, Stalberg/Kopecky, Reasoner (if we don't trade him or waive him).

Voila. Bolland, Dowell, and Reasoner are all centers... the rest are wingers. Have at it.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 08:42 PM
CommonAnomaly*

swiss cheese was simply metaphorical to imply there is some holes. Dont read too far into it . Things tho arent as rosy as you make them out to be. With hjar coming back and niemi still to be signed , the huet fiasco ... there is still likely some fat to be cut yet.

Old
07-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonAnomaly View Post
swiss cheese was simply metaphorical to imply there is some holes. Dont read too far into it . Things tho arent as rosy as you make them out to be. With hjar coming back and niemi still to be signed , the huet fiasco ... there is still likely some fat to be cut yet.
Huet = waivers/Europe. Hjalmarsson = 3.5 mil. Niemi = we'll see what he gets and that'll dictate what we do next.

If he's rewarded over ~2.5, Hawks likely walk away and sign/trade for a goalie.
If he's rewarded under 2.5, Hawks will have to drop Reasoner somehow, maybe Kopecky. The difference will be made up by plugging in cheaper players over more talented players in the bottom 6.

Read through the CapHawkApocalypse thread, there's plenty of proposed rosters that accommodate Niemi/UFA goalies at various prices.

There's some work to do, but it's not like we're still in cap hell and will have to trade away more significant pieces.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Steve Passless*

Is Vancouver's crease still Swiss cheese?

Steve Passless* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 09:27 PM
CommonAnomaly*

.913 save % , and it being considered an awful year .......... im gonna say no.