Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Kitchener Rangers Off-Season Thread

Old
06-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Ward Cornell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
If Trouba wants to come to Kitchener, they can always buy him out so he doesn't have to stay,
True enough...but when was the last time the Rangers did this?
Not arguing with you because i would love to to see this happen!!

Quote:
He could have been so much better if he was here last season, now it's a question if he even goes in the first round. Would definitely have been if he came to Kitchener IMO.
Hmmmm....I wonder with Mayfield dropping if this may come into play with Trouba???
Also as per the usual...if the NHL team throws enough $$$$ at Mayfield he may come. I just hope it's not Chicago that drafts him because it will mean no CHL for Mayfield. Of couse seeing how disastrous it was for Morins health the Bowmans may be changing their tune!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
I know that the fact these guys weren't invited to this camp doesn't really mean they won't be considered for the WJC, but what it may mean is that since they may feel they aren't under consideration for the WJC, then perhaps they may decide to leave their present programs and report to the Rangers. Especially Kaib.
Kiab is not really an NHL level prospect at this point. Its more suited for him to go to College.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
True enough...but when was the last time the Rangers did this?
Not arguing with you because i would love to to see this happen!!

Hmmmm....I wonder with Mayfield dropping if this may come into play with Trouba???
Also as per the usual...if the NHL team throws enough $$$$ at Mayfield he may come. I just hope it's not Chicago that drafts him because it will mean no CHL for Mayfield. Of couse seeing how disastrous it was for Morins health the Bowmans may be changing their tune!
Well it doesn't happen that often, as it requires a player wanting to come as well as them being good enough to warrant the 50,000.

London has done it recently, I'm sure Kitchener has before. Trouba would be worth it, and I think I've seen somewhere he wants to come to Kitchener.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Well it doesn't happen that often, as it requires a player wanting to come as well as them being good enough to warrant the 50,000.
There are tax ramifications on both sides of the border should Kitchener pony up such a sum.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:

London has done it recently, I'm sure Kitchener has before. Trouba would be worth it, and I think I've seen somewhere he wants to come to Kitchener.
I actually dont know if its ever happened.

Patrick Kane may be the only player I can think of that would fall in that group, but the buyout was not added to the contracts until after he left the program (alot of people speculate it was because of him).

The wording of the agreement is that the player needs to pay the buyout, and the Ontario Hockey League has rules in place about paying parents, so Im not sure how one would work that out.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:55 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
The wording of the agreement is that the player needs to pay the buyout, and the Ontario Hockey League has rules in place about paying parents, so Im not sure how one would work that out.
That's interesting. The NCAA has done a good job on that agreement then.

Hmm, when was the last time Kitchener had a player's parent behind the bench? Not that teams do that or anything.

In all seriousness, the Rangers have had a few players complete their commitment to the NTDP in the last couple of years, and I don't imagine that'll change now.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Edges7

Quote:

How does the CHL/OHL/CADMoR feel about cross border "forgivable loans"?

Old
06-13-2011, 12:01 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
How does the CHL/OHL/CADMoR feel about cross border "forgivable loans"?
not the same as ncaa alumni lol

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
not the same as ncaa alumni lol
IF ever there was a reason for the use of the word "touche'" it's that right there....

Old
06-13-2011, 05:53 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Kiab is not really an NHL level prospect at this point. Its more suited for him to go to College.

This is his draft year. Is he ranked? If not, then your statement is probably true.

That being said, many a player has earned himself a pro contract, after not having been ranked/drafted into the NHL in their draft year after having played in the CHL. We need look no further than in our own backyard. Mashinter and Akeson were both late bloomers. Clarkson was a guy named who? in his draft year.

But, nobody is saying that the same opportunity can't be had going NCAA either.

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:54 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
I actually dont know if its ever happened.
Didn't Jared Knight land in London this way? By way of contract buyout?

Old
06-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Didn't Jared Knight land in London this way? By way of contract buyout?
Nope.

Knight completed three years with London this past year, and never once skated with the US NTDP.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Nope.

Knight completed three years with London this past year, and never once skated with the US NTDP.
I believe Knight tried out and made the USNTDP but on his way to training camp he missed his turn-off and somehow ended up in London.

I'm not sure if he actually signed the USNTDP contract or just verbally committed to them. Either way USA Hockey wasn't happy about it but they seem to have let bygones be bygones since he's now invited to the WJHC summer camp.

Old
06-14-2011, 02:48 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
I think Knight signed with the NTDP because I remember talk about the 50,000 buyout and thus the "anti Knight'' some say USA Hockey has against him.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
I think Knight signed with the NTDP because I remember talk about the 50,000 buyout and thus the "anti Knight'' some say USA Hockey has against him.
If I recall the Knight situation correctly, he tried out and was offered a spot which was accepted but his parents never signed the NTDP binder. Didn't the Hunters have an issue that year with their first few picks? Wasn't Knight (3rd rounder?) the highest pick who signed that year?

Vague recollections...I was just starting to get on the business side of the game in 2008.

Old
07-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Ward Cornell

According to Bryan Thiel on Twitter, Michael Catenacci is at the Leafs Prospects camp.

Old
08-08-2011, 05:14 PM
EvenSteven

Hicks

I understand that a lot of people in Rangerland didn't like the way Hicks covered the Rangers. Not enough sunshine and lollypops and too much dirt digging, "shift" disturbing, investigative reporting, and just telling it the way he sees it for these Ranger fans and the organization as well.

Once in a while Hicks wrote articles that I wasn't too fond of (the post game article following the Game 3 fracas vs Guelph in the 2002 playoffs where he painted our boys as the villains and the Storm as the angels is the one I hated the most).

That being said, the last article that is posted by Hicks on the Rangers on the Record website is the July 4th article concerning Steve Spott's contract extension.

Since that time, the Rangers have signed John Gibson, Josh Sterk, and claimed Matt Peca off the waiver wire (I may have missed something) yet not one Record article containing an interview with either of them written by the Rangers' beat writer - who seems to be Josh Brown I guess since he did last Friday's Aston-Reese article. All we got was nothing much more than the official report from the Rangers website.

Despite what everyone thinks about Hicks, you gotta believe that he'd have done an article by now on each of these players that would have included interviews etc. Instead, we are left with having to get such articles from other sources.

Perhaps Brown wasn't named Hicks' replacement until very recently.

Any idea why Hicks isn't covering the Rangers anymore? I mean officially?

Old
08-09-2011, 06:00 AM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I believe Knight tried out and made the USNTDP but on his way to training camp he missed his turn-off and somehow ended up in London.

I'm not sure if he actually signed the USNTDP contract or just verbally committed to them. Either way USA Hockey wasn't happy about it but they seem to have let bygones be bygones since he's now invited to the WJHC summer camp.
It was Team USA camp at Rochester when it all fell apart. Yes Knighter had made team but soon found out Coach Hines was a total A Hole so he went to his father about what to do. Knowing up front your never going to get along with that Coach the Knight's made the quick jump to the Knight's who had drafted him in round 3...it just so happens Dale was on hand that day in the immediate vicinity along with many other CHL team reps....you know the type who throw the worm & hook into grassy weed beds and try to land a big one. Hunter had Knight inked and the rest is history.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
I understand that a lot of people in Rangerland didn't like the way Hicks covered the Rangers. Not enough sunshine and lollypops and too much dirt digging, "shift" disturbing, investigative reporting, and just telling it the way he sees it for these Ranger fans and the organization as well.

Once in a while Hicks wrote articles that I wasn't too fond of (the post game article following the Game 3 fracas vs Guelph in the 2002 playoffs where he painted our boys as the villains and the Storm as the angels is the one I hated the most).

That being said, the last article that is posted by Hicks on the Rangers on the Record website is the July 4th article concerning Steve Spott's contract extension.

Since that time, the Rangers have signed John Gibson, Josh Sterk, and claimed Matt Peca off the waiver wire (I may have missed something) yet not one Record article containing an interview with either of them written by the Rangers' beat writer - who seems to be Josh Brown I guess since he did last Friday's Aston-Reese article. All we got was nothing much more than the official report from the Rangers website.

Despite what everyone thinks about Hicks, you gotta believe that he'd have done an article by now on each of these players that would have included interviews etc. Instead, we are left with having to get such articles from other sources.

Perhaps Brown wasn't named Hicks' replacement until very recently.

Any idea why Hicks isn't covering the Rangers anymore? I mean officially?
It could just be me but it almost seemed like Hicks was writing to get himself replaced. Most of his articles of the games had very very little about the game
with most of his articles needed deep concentration and patience to get through it and try to understand what was just read.
Then there was other articles such as the one about Donna Weber (longtime Ranger billet who died of cancer a cpl years ago)
which showed me what type of journalism that he was truly capable of.

Old
08-09-2011, 06:16 PM
EvenSteven

Brown did post an article in today's Record on the Peca waiver wire pickup, but there was nothing from Peca himself. I'll have to assume though that Brown did try to contact Peca for the article since he did talk to Sheldon Keefe.

Pretty short article though. Outside of the Keefe quotes, there was nothing new really, other than what was in the press release.

Old
08-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Brown did post an article in today's Record on the Peca waiver wire pickup, but there was nothing from Peca himself. I'll have to assume though that Brown did try to contact Peca for the article since he did talk to Sheldon Keefe.

Pretty short article though. Outside of the Keefe quotes, there was nothing new really, other than what was in the press release.
I agree with both of your posts. I had a bit of a love-hate relationship with Hicks' writing. His cutesy nonsense drove me nuts as he'd waste 2/3 of a report on a game without talking about the game. And as Ward Cornell pointed out, some of his reporting was so blatantly inflammatory that you have to wonder if he was trying to get a new beat.

However, many Ranger fans only saw the negative. And as Even Steven pointed out, Hicks definitely had sources and dug for inside info. I really appreciated his insight into pickups like Peca and Aston-Reese over the years and his reporting on trade talks and targets. He did his job well in that regard and most beat writers don't go to those levels.

Personally, I would take the good with the bad. If I have to wade through some nonsense to get to the meat, that's a better alternative than no meat at all.

Josh Brown, you're in the hot seat now. Surely you won't enrage the hard core fans like Hicksy, but will you play it safe and only give us official team releases or will we actually get substance?

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Tigers1992

Isnt this the gentleman who once said that the Import Draft is a failure because no NHL player drafted into the OHL under the Import Draft has played 1,000 NHL games?

I read that, and decided to save myself the brain cells and move onto other sources for my Ranger information.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Tim Wallach

I don't know what his problem was in that regard. He had a definite personal bias against the OHL/CHL, which manifested itself at times as an anti-Ranger bias too. He wrote some horribly inept, one-sided and mis-leading articles like the one you mentioned which were hard to swallow.

But I do have to give him credit on the inside-info bit. He definitely knew what was going on behind the scenes and if he didn't, he found out. He'd talk to the player, the GM, the agent, etc. until he cleared it up for fans. And intelligent fans could ignore his bias and extract the facts, which were usually there.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I don't know what his problem was in that regard. He had a definite personal bias against the OHL/CHL, which manifested itself at times as an anti-Ranger bias too. He wrote some horribly inept, one-sided and mis-leading articles like the one you mentioned which were hard to swallow.

But I do have to give him credit on the inside-info bit. He definitely knew what was going on behind the scenes and if he didn't, he found out. He'd talk to the player, the GM, the agent, etc. until he cleared it up for fans. And intelligent fans could ignore his bias and extract the facts, which were usually there.
That argument was the same as suggesting that the 2010 OHL Draft is a failure because no players have been drafted into the NHL, ingnoring that the draft hasnt happened yet. Its obvious bias, which is not part of a Reporters resume.

Old
08-10-2011, 11:36 AM
KnightRanger

I see the rosters are up for most of the teams now on the OHL Website. The Rangers have 7 OA's currently listed on the roster. I would have to think they keep Catenacci, Jasper and Melchiori. Anyone heard anything?

KnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote