HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

burke will bid on hamhuis

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2010, 03:07 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 500
why?

Old
07-01-2010, 03:08 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Maybe they'll sign him and turn him into a forward.

Old
07-01-2010, 03:28 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
BUNGLADEISH

vCash: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Like i said, even if they only trade Kabs, they still have 6 dman with cap hits > 2 mil (with a total of 21.275 + whatever cost and i already removed Kabs hit and did NOT include extra dmans and don't forget the 7mil+ in goal...).

Is Burke smart? Of course, he's probably one of the smartest GMs around and he's getting paid as the smartest GM (tho honestly i don't understand how he gets paid more than the wing's GM). But you know he doesn't get along with the 'nucks...

Proofs:
1) He refuses interview with team 1040 ('nucks radio network)
2) Last year when he revealed trade rumors between 'nucks and TB (what GM would honestly do that if it wasn't for spite, it kills the relationship between 2 GMs)
3) Well known the MG and Burke hate each other (reason any trade proposal between 'nucks and leafs seem very unlikely to ever happen with either GM running their respective teams)
4) *(not directly) but Wilson was fined last year for talking about the Sedins, if Burke wasn't so close with the commis, its quite possible the Leafs would have lost their first rounder before their legendary trade with Boston.

As for Burke "luring" FAs, its really more of a Tor lure (being probably the biggest hockey city + production of most hockey players) and the fact Burke offered more money than other teams. Its not like the players he signed gave the team a discount relative to other offers they got. Burke offered equal to or more than any other team to get the players.
I agree with you on the point that the Nucks and Burke are sour towards each other. However, I do not think I worded my post correctly. The things you have posted here are things Burke has done which has only effected the nucks. The radio thing is not really relevant, since its not directly related to the nucks. Him revealing a deal does not hurt the Leafs in the slightest bit.

However, god knows we have a boat load of money tied in our D. To me, and most other fans, adding another defenceman, even after dealing Kabs, seems to be very unusual. Heck, we believe one of the reasons why Burke is dealing Kabs is to shift that money towards forwards. Singing Hanhuis just doesn't seem right. Now, why would he just go out and sign a player, and handicap his own team in the long run, just to take revenge against some other teams? It does not make sense. On top of that, Burke is a loyal guy. He would never screw his own team for some silly personal gain.

Last year, RW ran more of a 5 man rotation on D after Komi went down, because Finger and XLB are both crap. Thank god for Gunnarsson, otherwise we surely would have been 30th. There is no way Burke can take the risk, and subtract a top 4 guy from that list. That leaves us with no insurance in case of an injury. Komi hasn't even played a game yet since his injury. Burke is going after Hamhuis to fill the void that will be left in our D once Kabs is traded. Not because of some feud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianmagpie View Post
while denkiteki noted the majority of the feud between burke and the canucks, i would like to draw your attention to the 2009 NHL Entry Draft...

Ottawa made no secret that they wanted Kadri, so when the Kings picked Schenn and pissed Burke off, he picked Kadri (in my opinion) just to piss off Ottawa...

Although some may argue that he was the second prospect on his list, in my opinion, by denying Kadri to the Sens (who has no slapshot btw - how many whiffs did he have during the world juniors?), he felt better because someone else felt worse...
Once again, this is an EXTREMELY weak logic. After suffering through a **** season, Burke just felt like taking a random guy to piss off Murray? How does that make any sense? We were absolutely pathetic down the middle. It was Stajan and Grabo (), with Bozak being the only real (i mean top 6 potential) center prospect. He absolutely needed to address that position. Other than Kadri, the next best center prospect was Glennie, and he is not near Kadri at the moment. The Kadri pick was a great one, and us, Leafs fans really got to see that afterwards.

You talk about his slapshot, have you seen Kessel's? It's just...

Old
07-01-2010, 03:45 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
I agree with you on the point that the Nucks and Burke are sour towards each other. However, I do not think I worded my post correctly. The things you have posted here are things Burke has done which has only effected the nucks. The radio thing is not really relevant, since its not directly related to the nucks. Him revealing a deal does not hurt the Leafs in the slightest bit.
You could debate rather or not it has anything to do with the 'nucks but it still shows Burke's personality does it not? As for revealing the trade, it does not DIRECTLY hurt the Leafs at all but it does hurt them indirectly because revealing what's suppose to be secrets will piss off the other GM (in this case MG).

For all we know, if MG wasn't pissed at Burke, he might have made the Ballard offer to Burke for Kabs instead of Ballard (not likely due to style of play but there's a thread comparing that someone in this section) but since there is a rift between the two, its virtually impossible to see any trade between them.

As for injury problems, that happens to every team and the 'nucks are the perfect example of that. Its quite possible for a team to go with a Top 5 (we are actually do that this year) but a top 6 = no money left for forwards (like you said). Just doesn't make sense for the Leafs to be all that involved in Ham. If he signs for 5 mil (quite possible from bidding wars), the Leafs will have almost 34 mil committed just to ds and goalies, not counting extras. That leaves 25 mill for 12+ fowards (or realistically <17 mil for 10 forwards)... again without accounting for extras or buffers.

That's why i implied Burke has to trade a 2nd dman (likely one he signed last year).

Old
07-01-2010, 04:07 AM
Spamhuis

We need another every free agent to toronto thread

Old
07-01-2010, 04:15 AM
Crimson Devil*

I think Schenn and Kaberle for Bobby Ryan would make sense for both teams...

I mean, if Burke is really ******** enough to get rid of Schenn.

Old
07-01-2010, 04:18 AM
JBIZ14

If Versteeg is in your top 6 you are a bad team. Why would a top UFA go to a bad team.

Old
07-01-2010, 04:20 AM
AlphaOmega

guarantee toronto wont land him. hamhuis, if uve done research wants to play west coast, period, and wants to be close to his family and wants to play for vancouver canucks thats his team that he wants to play for the most. and his family wants him to play for the canucks too and be close with him.

hamhuis will be a canuck come tomorrow unless the impossible happens. that he signs elsewhere....bottom line is that he is very likely to sign as a canuck.

Old
07-01-2010, 04:43 AM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZ14 View Post
If Versteeg is in your top 6 you are a bad team. Why would a top UFA go to a bad team.
Versteeg was a top 6 forward in icetime in 08/09 and the Hawks where a good team

Just stop talking. You have no idea of what you speak.

Old
07-01-2010, 04:50 AM
King William
GREATEST LEAF EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZ14 View Post
What kind of team are you when Kyle Wellwood is your #7 forward?

Old
07-01-2010, 05:00 AM
clyankees47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bozak View Post
A far better team than the Leafs.... that's for sure.

Old
07-01-2010, 05:04 AM
debonair399

Quote:
Hahaha.... when you're a fan of the lowly Leafs.... you're best off not doing any trash-talking.

Old
07-01-2010, 05:11 AM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
If you give Burke a big bag of candy, he will eat them all at once and then have a tummy ache.
I am thoroughly amused, but I do not know why.

Old
07-01-2010, 05:14 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
A team that wins it's division and scores the 2nd most goals in the league?

Old
07-01-2010, 05:53 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontomapleleafer View Post
i think it could because many ppl on the ana board absolutly love beauchy, kabby will be great anywhere and they could use a second line winger in grabo and thats a lot to give up for 1 player !
We gave up 2 first rounders (one being Tyler Seguin) and a 2nd for Phil Kessel and you wouldn't be willing to give up Grabo, Beauch and Kabby for a kid that would be the Leafs best player?

If the Leafs were presented with that offer I would take it and run. Bobby Ryan is a great talent and I would love to have this kid on the Leafs.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:32 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Hamhuis is going to go where he gets paid the most, nothing else matters. I hope he goes to good team in the West as it will mean they overpaid for him.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:39 AM
Xamboni
BoVat Horseman

Quote:
One that doesn't finish 29th?

Old
07-01-2010, 06:46 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
could part of burke's plan be to sign hamhuis and trade schenn with kaberle for a top six forward. with schenn/kabs packaged together what kind of return could the leafs get.
Burke won't be happy until ALL his defensemen are overpaid.

Hamhuis will cost 5 mil or more once the dust settles as 4-5 teams are to be going hard after him.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:50 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Damien Cox wrote about the Leafs interest in Hamhuis the day before Nashville traded the player rights to the Flyers.

June 18

Quote:
Out of the three players that particularly interest the Leafs, the 27-year-old Hamhuis would be the name that surprises some. Annually, it seems, thereís this belief that the Leafs have enough or even too many defencemen, a belief at odds with the clubís absurdly bad defensive record the past two seasons.

More to the point, while the Leafs might like it if there were top forwards available via free agency, pickings are slim, and smart clubs look to add assets even if they donít necessarily address key needs. Hamhuis is a stay-at-home blueliner used to playing upwards of 20 minutes per game and would give the Leafs flexibility to move Kaberle or even other defencemen they already own.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-moves-in-mind

Old
07-01-2010, 07:04 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

we should make a thread for every target of every GM

Old
07-01-2010, 07:15 AM
anonymity

Quote:
What kind of a team are you when Kyle Wellwood is your #2 or #3 forward? Referring to the Leafs, of course. The second Vancouver got Wellwood, he became a 3rd-liner.

Old
07-01-2010, 07:17 AM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugold View Post
burke will get sacked. suprised leafs fans are ok with the gutting of prospects
Actually, many of us Leaf fans are not happy with the gutting of prospects. Nor are many of us happy with the current "win now at all cost" philosophy that has been handed down from Upper Management.

The majority of Leafs Nation has wanted the organization to re-build through the Draft ever since the lock-out ended, not the mockery that we are currently witnesses to, but our demands have fallen on deaf ears.

If Burke were to trade Schenn this early into his career, then I would want to be seated in the front row so that I could watch Burke get impaled, Vlad Tepes II style.

Old
Snotbubbles

Why would Hamhuis turn down Philly because of concerns over playing time and then sign in Toronto who probably have an even bigger logjam on the blueline? Why would he turn down Pit where these concerns aren't even an issue?

The reason, the guy wants to play out West. I have a feeling that Burke is simply getting involved to make sure that Hamhuis gets severly overpaid by Vancouver.

Old
airlouche

Hamhuis will have a pay rise pretty soon...lucky man

Old
07-01-2010, 07:18 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Hamhuis to NJ.

Closed Thread