HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Fan 590: Big Calgary Ranger deal rumored to be announced this afternoon

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2010, 05:56 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
It's going to be hard to cheer for a team that puts the two worst contracts in the NHL on the ice......again.

And then watch them miss the playoffs.

Old
07-01-2010, 05:58 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogfizzle View Post
This...

I like Kovalchuk though, the goals alone is worth a handsome price HOWEVER when we start talking 8-9 against the cap and probably tying him for a majority of his latter years in hockey life, it gets me nervous. Personally I'd wish they added a couple of proven 20 goal forwards and let go of certain players that have been banking on potential. I'm not going to mention names, God Forbid I have a differing opinion from the majority of Ranger fans.

I'd rather just save the cap space and grow the core. I don't need to make the playoffs this year. I doubt we make it with Kovalchuk anyway. I feel much better about this team in two years when Drury and Roszival are gone. I don't know when or if they'll waive Redden, but I guess it's nice knowing the option is there if they need to pull that trigger down the line.

We overrate everyone. I thing the move now is get Savard or Spezza for one of these overrated guys... namely Dubinsky. I like the kid but he's not going to be the center we need him to be, he won't be slick enough to be the winger we need. His greatest contribution at this point might be in acquiring that center we lack. And who knows how his contract negotiation goes next year. I keep Staal, MDZ and Lundqvist... anyone else on the roster that can land the legitimate piece we need, I'm comfortable trading.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Best thing this team could do is keep the homegrown young players, let them continue to develope. They have the heart and guts this organization has lacked for so long. Stay the course, look for every possbile way to dump Rozival, Redden and Drury's contracts.

This team is not challenging for a Cup....for a long time.

In the mean time, the Rangers need to put Lundqvist on the market and let it be known they are willing to move him, for a young, Big Time offensive player.

Then sit back and wait to see what teams come calling and what they are willing to give for Lundqvist. They have no better chip on this team. And they better find someone soon, before the rest of the league catches on to Lundqvist. First hot streak Lundqvist hits during this upcoming season, Sather needs to turn up the heat on his chip. Really get some buyers.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:16 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
Best thing this team could do is keep the homegrown young players, let them continue to develope. They have the heart and guts this organization has lacked for so long. Stay the course, look for every possbile way to dump Rozival, Redden and Drury's contracts.

This team is not challenging for a Cup....for a long time.

In the mean time, the Rangers need to put Lundqvist on the market and let it be known they are willing to move him, for a young, Big Time offensive player.

Then sit back and wait to see what teams come calling and what they are willing to give for Lundvist. They have no better chip on this team. And they better find someone soon, before the rest of the league catches on to Lundqvist. First hot streak Lundqvist hits during this upcoming season, Sather needs to turn up the heat on his chip. Really get some buyers.
Why would you trade a top 3 goalie in the world? Who are you replacing him with? And just WHY?! That literally makes no sense what-so-ever.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
You're not getting a young, big time offensive player for him. Goalies don't command that kind of return on the trade market.

07-01-2010, 06:19 PM
dethomas07

yeahh hugeeeeee trade comingg... ill do redden for Jbo hahaha thats about it

Old
07-01-2010, 06:30 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Rumor has it Kotalik and Higgins may be available...

Did you see the word proven, or did you just want to be a cool guy and try to shove something in my face for your self esteem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
I'd rather just save the cap space and grow the core. I don't need to make the playoffs this year. I doubt we make it with Kovalchuk anyway. I feel much better about this team in two years when Drury and Roszival are gone. I don't know when or if they'll waive Redden, but I guess it's nice knowing the option is there if they need to pull that trigger down the line.

We overrate everyone. I thing the move now is get Savard or Spezza for one of these overrated guys... namely Dubinsky. I like the kid but he's not going to be the center we need him to be, he won't be slick enough to be the winger we need. His greatest contribution at this point might be in acquiring that center we lack. And who knows how his contract negotiation goes next year. I keep Staal, MDZ and Lundqvist... anyone else on the roster that can land the legitimate piece we need, I'm comfortable trading.
I agree about Dubinsky, sure he is growing but I could part with him for a solid return. I'm not a huge Staal fan personally...I consider Callahan more of an asset but I know a very small percentage of fans agree with me there. I don't know about throwing it in and not being a non playoff team and totally rebuilding and placing like 14th. I think we can genuinely compete and still put ourselves in a solid position. We have a lot of young kids that should get more playing time, but is there room?

Last edited by pdogfizzle: 07-01-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old
07-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You're not getting a young, big time offensive player for him. Goalies don't command that kind of return on the trade market.

But, he's a HUGE star highly coveted by every GM in ther league.

Now's the time to strike.

What good does it do this team to have such a HUGE, enormous goaltending star; if they won't be challenging for a Cup any time soon. Trade him off, get something big in return, finish in the bottom three for a few years and then get some huge star in the draft.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:35 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Did you see the word proven, or did you just want to be a cool guy and try to shove something in my face for your self esteem?
Technically, at least Higgins is, a proven 20 goal scorer. Hence all the league-wide interest right now.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:38 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Technically, at least Higgins is, a proven 20 goal scorer. Hence all the league-wide interest right now.
LOL i think the only thing he has proven is that he was one lucky SOB in his first few years in Monteal.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:38 PM
GAGLine

Quote:

What good does it do this team to have such a HUGE, enormous goaltending star; if they won't be challenging for a Cup any time soon. Trade him off, get something big in return, finish in the bottom three for a few years and then get some huge star in the draft.
Every team has already signed their goalies. There's no way we are trading him, but if we were going to do it, last week was the time.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:39 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
LOL i think the only thing he has proven is that he was one lucky SOB in his first few years in Monteal.
Well being lucky or being good you didn't specify, you just said proven and that he is

Old
07-01-2010, 06:44 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well being lucky or being good you didn't specify, you just said proven and that he is
regardless, Higgins is awful, I think we can all agree.

Although I will never forget the day I bought last minutes tix to the Boston-NYR game and Higs came through with a minute left

Old
07-01-2010, 06:45 PM
bscharf

a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Every team has already signed their goalies. There's no way we are trading him, but if we were going to do it, last week was the time.
Can we just end this trade henrik convo.. its legit the dumbest thing ive ever heard. give away the only asset that keeps us a competative team.

We need to make a move for an offensive player now. Every team in our division has significantly improved this offseason. We need to make a move for legit scorers (spezza,kovy type caliber).

We missed the playoffs by a game, and that team went within two games of the cup so lets not act like we arent capable of competing.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
So what was this huge announcement?

Old
07-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
There isn't much that the Flames have that I would like. I wish we were waiting on a possible deal with the Sens for Spezza.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
So what was this huge announcement?
Glen Sather to be the GM of the Rangers for as long as he is alive

Old
07-01-2010, 06:48 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
Can we just end this trade henrik convo.. its legit the dumbest thing ive ever heard. give away the only asset that keeps us a competative team.

We need to make a move for an offensive player now. Every team in our division has significantly improved this offseason. We need to make a move for legit scorers (spezza,kovy type caliber).

We missed the playoffs by a game, and that team went within two games of the cup so lets not act like we arent capable of competing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
There isn't much that the Flames have that I would like. I wish we were waiting on a possible deal with the Sens for Spezza.
I posted this in the NYR Offseason Thread, but I feel that it is important in this response. We aren't going to get Spezza, he is due a $4 SB today and the Sens owner won't trade him after paying him.

Bob McKenzie:

Quote:
The word out of OTT is that Sens are done for the day. If so, and no reason to doubt it, Spezza remains a Senator. $4M SB due to him today. Eugene Melnyk is NOT paying another $4M SB, a la Heatley, and trading the player after the fact. Just not happening.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Ahhh thanks for the update NYsportsfan.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:56 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Ahhh thanks for the update NYsportsfan.
Sure thing man.

Old
07-01-2010, 06:58 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:

While your logic isn't technically wrong, I strongly disagree. There's no way we'd get a goalie better than Lundqvist to replace him for a long time, if not then ever. Lundqvist is honest to God the best goalie in the league and IMO if he wins one cup (even though he's capable of much more) he'll dethrone Richter as the greatest Ranger goalie of all time. You just don't trade someone that special.

Old
07-01-2010, 07:01 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
We need to make a move for an offensive player now.
We already got him.

His name is Derek Boogaard. The contract alone tells you he is going to contribute on the scoresheet.

$1.65 mil.
It's as plain as the nose on my face that nobody pays money like that for somebody who does not know where the net is.

See, it's already looked after

Old
07-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Why would you trade a top 3 goalie in the world? Who are you replacing him with? And just WHY?! That literally makes no sense what-so-ever.

Makes all the sense in the world.

Why do you need a Top Three Goalie of The World, when you're rebuilding and you're not even close to challenging for a Cup; for at least the next five years?

The smart thing is to trade him off for the best you can get, be awful (for two or three years) and finish as close to last as possible. Get a few Top Three First Rounders under your belt. Maybe even a First overall.

Then, you're ready to truely rebuild and challenge for a Cup.

Makes all the sense in the world.

Top Three Goaltender of The World on a team like this one and eating up the salary cap space he's chewing away at, every season? Please. Be smart and make it work to your advantage. This team is going no where for a long time.

Old
07-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:

If that's true, then, he's also the one that's keeping this team in a constant state of mediocrity. He's what is keeping this team from truely dropping to the bottom of the league, where (by your reasoning and logic) they could truely gather some Top Three First Round draft picks and become a true force in this league.

If you're claim is accurate, that is.

Old
07-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Lundqvist is honest to God the best goalie in the league and IMO if he wins one cup (even though he's capable of much more) he'll dethrone Richter as the greatest Ranger goalie of all time. You just don't trade someone that special.

I disagree.

Closed Thread