HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fan 590: Big Calgary Ranger deal rumored to be announced this afternoon

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2010, 07:26 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Yeah, maybe we can get something like a burned out Bertuzzi and Auld like Luongo did. That'll solve all our problems. Or maybe we should just waive him like Bryzgalov. I doubt we'd ever get Toskala and Blake like Giguere did.

Old
07-01-2010, 07:35 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Why would you trade a top 3 goalie in the world? Who are you replacing him with? And just WHY?! That literally makes no sense what-so-ever.
That about sums it up. We have Staal, Hank and Gabs. Those are legit pieces for any stanley cup winner that we should keep. They need to be built around which if it wasn't for Drury and Redden we could add Kovie too. Assume noKovie our farm has enough pieces to fill out the top 6 over the next 2-3 years. In two years Hank and Gabs should STILL be just as good as they are now. Instead of Redden, Gilroy, Avery, Prospal, Christensen, we'd have grachev, stepan, Kreider, MZA (pending) Artem (more experienced obviously), McD, MDZ (more exp), Mcllrath.

That team in 3 years is much more TALENTED than what we have now. Whether it's better depends on experience and development but there is no question about the talent Grachev or kreider have over for example Avery. I think the team will also be leagues better because even with the young guys there's still Dubs, Cally, Staal, Girardi, hank, Drury and Roszi possibly. Artie and MDZ are 3 or 4 years in. It's just a much younger, much more talented, yet still very experienced team. Seems almost too good to be true how balanced the future seems to be. I think it would be a huge mistake to start trading away pieces and it would harm this team for years to trade away one of our big three.

Old
07-01-2010, 07:39 PM
mti79

so we should trade Lundqvist for a proven offensive stud so that we can rebuild and eventually contend for the Cup? Why not just sign that proven offensive stud (ie. Kovalchuk), keep Hank between the pipes and contend in the very near future?

Old
07-01-2010, 07:40 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
I disagree.
If he stays healthly I could see Lundquist doing everything Richter has done EXPECT win a cup as a ranger.

Old
07-01-2010, 07:42 PM
trilobyte

deriik2020 - you forgot Boogaard the talentless forward in your talent assessment. Locked up for 4 years.

What a steal. Sweet.

Edit: Maybe if Gaborik and others need the boogyman for peace of mind, and the goals-for go up, maybe the booger somehow earns his keep. But I doubt it.

Last edited by trilobyte: 07-01-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: trying to rationalize the Boogaard thing
Old
07-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
If he stays healthly I could see Lundquist doing everything Richter has done EXPECT win a cup as a ranger.
He would need to stay 2-3 years past the end of his contract to pass Richter for all time Ranger wins, I think.

We'll see. Players dont tend to stay on teams for their whole careers anymore in the modern NHL.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:04 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
deriik2020 - you forgot Boogaard the talentless forward in your talent assessment. Locked up for 4 years.

What a steal. Sweet.

Edit: Maybe if Gaborik and others need the boogyman for peace of mind, and the goals-for go up, maybe the booger somehow earns his keep. But I doubt it.
Or maybe the other teams do not run our goalie over as much, allowing him to be in better physical condition to best lead our team to the playoffs. Or maybe clowns like Carcillo never touch Marian Gaborik just because Boogaard would cave his face in.

Boogaard, while his contract is not great, can help this team. He does not have to be a good player to have a positive impact. The threat of him in the lineup is enough to have scare other teams from taking liberties.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
He would need to stay 2-3 years past the end of his contract to pass Richter for all time Ranger wins, I think.

We'll see. Players dont tend to stay on teams for their whole careers anymore in the modern NHL.
lundqvist is at 177 wins. He needs 125 more wins to pass Richter. Hes been averaging about 36 wins a season. It'll take him 3.5 more years to pass Richter.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:08 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Or maybe the other teams do not run our goalie over as much, allowing him to be in better physical condition to best lead our team to the playoffs. Or maybe clowns like Carcillo never touch Marian Gaborik just because Boogaard would cave his face in.

Boogaard, while his contract is not great, can help this team. He does not have to be a good player to have a positive impact. The threat of him in the lineup is enough to have scare other teams from taking liberties.
don't try to talk sense to some of these xbox hockey GM's on this board. they want enforcers that can score, PK and QB the powerplay.

Did any of you look at how tougher our conference got to play against? Broken down 35yr old Shelly was a better option and then when he get's hurt it's Brashear part II in NY. I forgot, he won over all of your hearts by scoring a goal against the flyers.

we get the toughest, most feared fighter in the NHL and it's still not good enough for some of you . NYR are a miserable bunch i'm telling you.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
lundqvist is at 177 wins. He needs 125 more wins to pass Richter. Hes been averaging about 36 wins a season. It'll take him 3.5 more years to pass Richter.
He has 4 years left, so I guess I was off by a bit.

Still, if we plan on lightening his load, and the team doesnt look to impressive this year, then dont have him pegged for too many over 30 wins.

It is within the realm of possibility that he does not pass it.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:19 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post

What a steal. Sweet.

I can't understand how this comment applies at all to what i'm saying. I said don't throw away Lundqvist Staal or Gabby b/c they are pieces that any team could contend with.

I then said the overall talent of this team looks like it will grow tremendously over the next few years. The cap will grow, the skill of guys like Artem and MDZ will grow as our prospects join.

How does 1.65 mil per year affect their growth or trading hank? Will 1.65 block re-signing them when Drury (7), Brash(1.8), voros (1), Avery(1.8), Roszi(5), prospal(1-2), EC (1) are all gone? Were you just kvetching for the sake of kvetching about Boogaard? Nothing I said should have illicited your response...Definitely Boogaard a botom 6 forward is NOT part of my argument involving TALENT and projected TOP 6 guys and top 4 D-men

Old
07-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Gemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
don't try to talk sense to some of these xbox hockey GM's on this board. they want enforcers that can score, PK and QB the powerplay.

Did any of you look at how tougher our conference got to play against? Broken down 35yr old Shelly was a better option and then when he get's hurt it's Brashear part II in NY. I forgot, he won over all of your hearts by scoring a goal against the flyers.

we get the toughest, most feared fighter in the NHL and it's still not good enough for some of you . NYR are a miserable bunch i'm telling you.
+1

I don't understand why everyone is acting like this signing was the end of the world. It wasn't that bad people!!!!!!

Old
07-01-2010, 08:23 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
+1

I don't understand why everyone is acting like this signing was the end of the world. It wasn't that bad people!!!!!!
just forget it. they're not in reality. just look at the conference we're playing in.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I think Boogaard is a fine player to have.

I do not

1. Think he needs to be in the roster every night
2. Think we needed to pay him what we did.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
we get the toughest, most feared fighter in the NHL and it's still not good enough for some of you .
It's not that simple. A one-dimensional enforcer doesn't add a lot to a team in this NHL.

07-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's not that simple. A one-dimensional enforcer doesn't add a lot to a team in this NHL.
yep.

now, take away the instigator rule, and i think the argument becomes a lot more interesting.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Gemma

Quote:
just forget it. they're not in reality. just look at the conference we're playing in.
Exactly, besides Philly which we all know what they did off the top of my head

Devils:Leblond and Clarkson
Isles: Gillies Jackman Hillen
Boston: Thorton and Lucic
Pens:Godard

Maybe just maybe, a fewer runs will be taken at Gabby, and Hank won't get pushed around so much. The small overpayment wasn't taking away from the missing piece to the cup.

Old
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Oh yes it does.

Old
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Hey, whatever happened to the big trade? Are we getting Jokinen?

Old
07-01-2010, 08:30 PM
trilobyte

Yes, I suppose I am completely wrong for wishing the Boogaard acquisition never happened.
What will the bug-eyed Boogaard contribute? You're living in the past if you think he is the answer. He is a band-aid for other problems that Sather is not competent to address.

I agree that the talent will grow, and that the addition of the youth coming on board will be evident, just that it will take a bit. Do you really believe Boogaard should be signed for four years? If the modus operandi is to make bad acquisitions and then fumble around later finding a way to get rid of them, then you are welcome to that.

And sure, trade Lundqvist. Where is the goaltender that fills his skates coming from? What happens then when all you see is threads about where and how to get a top-tier goaltender?

Last edited by trilobyte: 07-01-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: 'acquistion', not 'trade'
Old
07-01-2010, 08:30 PM
NikC

Quote:
that's not true, because a real enforcer keeps star players/skill players from getting hurt from liberties taken upon them by scum. Also it allows them to play with more of a freedom knowing that another team's scum won't take advantage of them.

Besides all the 30g scoring enforcers were signed already.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:35 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I think Boogaard is a fine player to have.

I do not

1. Think he needs to be in the roster every night
2. Think we needed to pay him what we did.
Well said. Remember what Shanahan said about how guys had more courage when Orr was dressed. Yes, he is overpaid anywhere from $300,000-400,000. He doesn't need to be in the lineup every night. But, when punks like Carcillo and Cooke are the opposition, he is supposed to be the deterrent.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
that's not true, because a real enforcer keeps star players/skill players from getting hurt from liberties taken upon them by scum. Also it allows them to play with more of a freedom knowing that another team's scum won't take advantage of them.

Besides all the 30g scoring enforcers were signed already.
but...how exactly? Did Colton Orr really stop people from Running Henrik? Did he stop Chris Simon from tomahawking Hollweg in the face? Did Brashear stop Drury from getting a cheapshot to the head?

No, guys are going to take runs at our players. And our enforcer will just fight their enforcer, and thats it, the damage will be done. Its stupid. If you took out the instigator rule, then sure, our enforcer could pound the crap out of anyone who screws with our goalie, but in this day and age, where every point is so crucial, and with how specialty teams tend to make the difference on most nights, having an enforcer on the club to do scripted fights with opposition enforcers, is ********. They will run who they will run, then they will refuse to fight Boogaard. Hes either going to take an instigator, or hes just not going to have anyone to fight.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:42 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
but...how exactly? Did Colton Orr really stop people from Running Henrik? Did he stop Chris Simon from tomahawking Hollweg in the face? Did Brashear stop Drury from getting a cheapshot to the head?

No, guys are going to take runs at our players. And our enforcer will just fight their enforcer, and thats it, the damage will be done. Its stupid. If you took out the instigator rule, then sure, our enforcer could pound the crap out of anyone who screws with our goalie, but in this day and age, where every point is so crucial, and with how specialty teams tend to make the difference on most nights, having an enforcer on the club to do scripted fights with opposition enforcers, is ********. They will run who they will run, then they will refuse to fight Boogaard. Hes either going to take an instigator, or hes just not going to have anyone to fight.
Eventhough I tend to agree with you, I am kind of excited about seeing the boogeyman play for us. I don't like the terms at all, but I do like the guy and I do like having a bonafied heavyweight in the lineup

Old
07-01-2010, 08:46 PM
BlessThisMess11

Quote:
Imagined if we scored than a goal a game

Closed Thread