HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers acquire Meszaros from Tampa Bay for Second Round Pick in 2012

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2010, 05:24 PM
  #251
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Let's not get too excited before he even hits the ice.
I agree with you and you still argue with me?

That said, our teams is much improved:

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Meszaros - O'Donnell
Bartulis

We can role 3 pairings now. It will significantly cut down on Pronger's ice time. It will significantly cut down on Timonen's ice time.

And Meszaros is good enough to make this work.

I am curious to see if we can actually pair Meszaros and Coburn together.

That way:

Pronger - Carle
Meszaros - Coburn
Timonen - Bartulis/Gustafsson/Lehtivuori
O'Donnell

I don't think it'll happen, but I'm curious as to what the possibilities are.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 05:26 PM
  #252
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Well, I think it could be a very nice pickup, but I hesitate to use the word 'steal' when we have an awful prospect pool and no picks going into the system and now we're giving up another one.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 05:29 PM
  #253
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 35,385
vCash: 50
we arent a better team. The ****fest in goal cancels anything out.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 05:29 PM
  #254
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Well, I think it could be a very nice pickup, but I hesitate to use the word 'steal' when we have an awful prospect pool and no picks going into the system and now we're giving up another one.
You're going to complain about a late 2nd in 2012?

It's not even like it's on the cusp of 1st round.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 05:39 PM
  #255
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,431
vCash: 500
I like this deal. He is only 24 and being aroung Pronger and Kimmy can only help him get better. But damn...please find a goalie and the whole Shelly signing I question. Maybe Paul is going to bury him to protect all the kids we signed in the AHL.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 05:40 PM
  #256
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
You're going to complain about a late 2nd in 2012?

It's not even like it's on the cusp of 1st round.
Your assuming it is a late second.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 05:43 PM
  #257
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
It is hard to take a chance on a guy making 4mm who hasnt played well the last few years in a capped world. On the surface a 2nd isnt nothing to give up. Howver if he continuees to play avg hockey that contract will kill them.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:36 PM
  #258
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
It is hard to take a chance on a guy making 4mm who hasnt played well the last few years in a capped world. On the surface a 2nd isnt nothing to give up. Howver if he continuees to play avg hockey that contract will kill them.
Agree. I don't really care for the 2nd, but we didn't really need another overpaid defenseman. All he needed was a solid #5 that can eat minutes. I don't like the move at all. If you are going to spend that much he should have waited out one of the defenseman on the market. I'd rather have Volchenkov or Michalek.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:14 PM
  #259
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
You're going to complain about a late 2nd in 2012?

It's not even like it's on the cusp of 1st round.
It could very well be if this goalie situation blows up in our faces.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:45 PM
  #260
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
You're going to complain about a late 2nd in 2012?

It's not even like it's on the cusp of 1st round.
What about an early 2nd?

Or what about the fact that everybody and their ****ing dog was looking for a 2nd rounder at the deadline. You know, when Holmgren couldn't do a ****ing thing because he didn't have one?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:06 PM
  #261
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I agree with you and you still argue with me?

That said, our teams is much improved:

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Meszaros - O'Donnell
Bartulis

We can role 3 pairings now. It will significantly cut down on Pronger's ice time. It will significantly cut down on Timonen's ice time.

And Meszaros is good enough to make this work.

I am curious to see if we can actually pair Meszaros and Coburn together.

That way:

Pronger - Carle
Meszaros - Coburn
Timonen - Bartulis/Gustafsson/Lehtivuori
O'Donnell

I don't think it'll happen, but I'm curious as to what the possibilities are.
I would pair Meszaros with Pronger and put Carle on the third pairing and make him more of an offensive specialist and get him away from the other team's top pairings.

I dont mind the move player wise, it just kills the cap unless we make another move and I DO NOT want that to be Gagne.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:07 PM
  #262
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Agree. I don't really care for the 2nd, but we didn't really need another overpaid defenseman. All he needed was a solid #5 that can eat minutes. I don't like the move at all. If you are going to spend that much he should have waited out one of the defenseman on the market. I'd rather have Volchenkov or Michalek.
Hamhuis was only $500k more and 2 years more, rather have just gone with him!

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:08 PM
  #263
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
What about an early 2nd?

Or what about the fact that everybody and their ****ing dog was looking for a 2nd rounder at the deadline. You know, when Holmgren couldn't do a ****ing thing because he didn't have one?
Yeah, and with what cap space were we going to turn that 2nd rounder into something?

People have such selective memories around here it's incredible.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:16 PM
  #264
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Andrew Knoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish View Post
logs lots of ice time! 22-25min, 6'2 225, does he play small?
Yes, he plays small, finesse puck-moving guy who does not lay the wood on people. He didn't have a great year last year but he has been solid in the past.

For people talking about bargains, get real, look at what guys were getting today as DMen. You'd have had to pay the same thing for Tallinder or Lydman and then you'd have the lovely cement breakout Buffalo has enjoyed for years. Volchenkov would have been great but cost more and probably wasn't interested in the role we had to offer. This is not a bad buy, the problem is that it overloads defense and pushes the cap number up when we need a goalie.

He is not bad though. I am stunned at the tension in here given the Flyers' recent success. You guys are worse than the fans at the stadium hahahaha. Let's wait and see, I think a trade for a goalie comes out of all this and apart from Mason, Ellis and two retreads (Niittymaki and Biron) the market still has its number one guys or even potential number one guys.

It sounds like the chronology was not as reported either, that the Coburn deal was done and THEN the Flyers acquired Meszaros. I am banking Mez and another asset go for a goalie, or at least I pray so.


Last edited by Andrew Knoll: 07-01-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:19 PM
  #265
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Andrew Knoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Hamhuis was only $500k more and 2 years more, rather have just gone with him!
Who is to say he was at all interested in the Flyers? Obviously they made a run at him, so did Pittsburgh, excellent chance he identified something early like wanting to play for Vancouver or in the Western Conference. He is from BC, by the way.

This is real life, not our NHL10 franchise.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:30 PM
  #266
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
Yes, he plays small, finesse puck-moving guy who does not lay the wood on people. He didn't have a great year last year but he has been solid in the past.

For people talking about bargains, get real, look at what guys were getting today as DMen. You'd have had to pay the same thing for Tallinder or Lydman and then you'd have the lovely cement breakout Buffalo has enjoyed for years. Volchenkov would have been great but cost more and probably wasn't interested in the role we had to offer. This is not a bad buy, the problem is that it overloads defense and pushes the cap number up when we need a goalie.

He is not bad though. I am stunned at the tension in here given the Flyers' recent success. You guys are worse than the fans at the stadium hahahaha. Let's wait and see, I think a trade for a goalie comes out of all this and apart from Mason, Ellis and two retreads (Niittymaki and Biron) the market still has its number one guys or even potential number one guys.

It sounds like the chronology was not as reported either, that the Coburn deal was done and THEN the Flyers acquired Meszaros. I am banking Mez and another asset go for a goalie, or at least I pray so.
Kurtis Foster made $1.8 and was the better dman on the same team as Meszaros last year....Not to mention a RH shot that we need

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:32 PM
  #267
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
Who is to say he was at all interested in the Flyers? Obviously they made a run at him, so did Pittsburgh, excellent chance he identified something early like wanting to play for Vancouver or in the Western Conference. He is from BC, by the way.

This is real life, not our NHL10 franchise.
Doesnt matter....that doesnt mean you rush and trade for a guy when there are several dmen out there in free agency. I highly doubt teams were rushing to acquire that contract from Tampa

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:42 PM
  #268
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
The other thing i dont get is why not go after Martin,Atrain, and Michalek. If you feel they wanted to much or couldnt get them, then go after Mezaros. Not like anyone was beatign down the Tampa door imo. That deal would still be there tomorrow. Again he acted way to fast when he didnt need too. Tamps dumps salary yet they dont even get pick back in return. GM's must love dealign with Shooter.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:11 PM
  #269
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?
 
Shadow Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Interwebs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Yeah, and with what cap space were we going to turn that 2nd rounder into something?
And whose fault is that, exactly?

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:16 PM
  #270
flyersfan1221
Registered User
 
flyersfan1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lancaster, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
the tochett factor

Old #22 helping out the Black & Orange. I'll bet the Boss & Homer made their calls to Rick before this deal went down.

flyersfan1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:30 PM
  #271
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Doesnt matter....that doesnt mean you rush and trade for a guy when there are several dmen out there in free agency. I highly doubt teams were rushing to acquire that contract from Tampa
It does matter. Hamhuis didn't want to sign into depth here, and was looking for $5M but was willing to take a discount with his hometown team in the Canucks (even after all the whiny Preds fans said he was a "union" guy and wouldn't take any discounts anywhere). This deal is okay in terms of the depth it provides us, but it comes with a pricey contract and the fact that we had to give up an asset like a 2nd round to help Tampa dump the contract is disappointing.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:08 PM
  #272
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
At the end of the day, they did get better, provided they don't need to dump off Gagne or somebody else. But I still think there was a better way of going about it.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:53 PM
  #273
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,213
vCash: 500
I absolutely love the Meszaros trade. Loved him when he was a defenseman in Ottawa and love him even more now that he's orange and black. This is a good, good, good trade. This is a big, young, mobile defenseman who can run a power play and is not afraid to throw his weight around either.

Agreed he hasn't been the same player since he left Ottawa. However, putting him with either Timonen, Pronger, or O'Donnell and he's going to come back to life. Once again, another player that needed to get out of Tampa Bay. It wasn't his fault that Lawton and the goof ball owners set expectations too high for him.

Meszaros on this team is a 10 goal, 35 assist man and plays with a mean streak.

However, this also means that Carle will be on his way out, especially after Coburn signed a 2 year extension today. Meszaros is going to kill it here. Love it, love it, love it!!!!

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:05 PM
  #274
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
At the end of the day, they did get better, provided they don't need to dump off Gagne or somebody else. But I still think there was a better way of going about it.
Honestly, if the team looked like this:

Gagne - Richards - Maroon
Hartnell - Carter - Briere
vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Leino
Powe - Betts - Laperriere
Cote

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Meszaros - O'Donnell
Bartulis

Mason
Leighton

This board would be ecstatic and excited about the season.

But because our team currently looks like this:

Gagne - Richards - Maroon
Hartnell - Carter - Briere
vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Leino
Shelley - Betts - Laperriere
Cote

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Meszaros - O'Donnell
Bartulis

Leighton
Boucher

They're all ready to jump off a bridge.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:15 PM
  #275
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Honestly, if the team looked like this:

Gagne - Richards - Maroon
Hartnell - Carter - Briere
vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Leino
Powe - Betts - Laperriere
Cote

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Meszaros - O'Donnell
Bartulis

Mason
Leighton

This board would be ecstatic and excited about the season.

But because our team currently looks like this:

Gagne - Richards - Maroon
Hartnell - Carter - Briere
vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Leino
Shelley - Betts - Laperriere
Cote

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Meszaros - O'Donnell
Bartulis

Leighton
Boucher

They're all ready to jump off a bridge.
Eh, in my case it's less the roster (I'm sure we'll be a playoff team), more the abject stupidity of it all. Two significantly overpaid players (did we really need to go three years with Shelley? I mean, REALLY?). So on and so forth.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.