HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Auld to MTL

Old
07-01-2010, 01:51 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You don't get it. Auld is a GREAT and SOLID signing 'cause he's not a competition for Price. And it seems that he was SOLID lately.....Reason why he keep changing teams over and over and over again. Reason also when TONS of posters here mentioned his name in their wishlist as to who they wanted.
I don't get it, you have lost your mind WS.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
You don't get it. Auld is a GREAT and SOLID signing 'cause he's not a competition for Price. And it seems that he was SOLID lately.....Reason why he keep changing teams over and over and over again. Reason also when TONS of posters here mentioned his name in their wishlist as to who they wanted.
We get your point man..

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 07-01-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I don't get it, you have lost your mind WS.
Please tell me how he's a solid signing.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
kernkraft

No biggie, no pressure for Price and none from the media for the french goalie to get a chance.

Gone next year so Desjardins gets a chance in the big leagues.

I do wish it was a bit lower.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Rysmo

vCash: 614
There's something wrong if you aren't at least "pleased" with this. Sure, it's not Biron or Ellis, but this is a backup who knows he's a backup, won't challenge for the start, and can play 30-40 games if he absolutely has to.

In 2008-09 with Ottawa, in 43 games he had a .911 SV% and a 2.47 GAA. He closed out 09-10 with NYR very well in the 3 games he played. Earlier in 09-10 he had a .894 SV% with Dallas in 21 games, which is still good for a backup. What's wrong with Alex Auld? Nothing.

In the words of Darren Pang.. "He's big, he's bald, he's Alex Auld!"

Rysmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:53 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Habs were NOT interested in Biron who makes 100k$ less. You go for a less capable goalie for 100k$ more.

Funny how now everybody finds Auld a great signing. I'd like to see how here did mention Auld prior to this day. Who the heck did want him in? And now, he's solid?

7 teams in 5 years. That's solid. Anyway who cares. Carey for 70 games. Let's pray.
I wanted Auld prior to today. Him or Nittymaki, but the latter clearly priced himself out.

I wanted us to sign a clear backup, who would not challenge Price for number 1 job. The goal was achieved and I'm happy.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:54 PM
guest1467

Quote:
He is a capable backup that cost us 1 million dollars. I don't see anything wrong with it? I have watched a lot of Auld, and he is just your typical run of the mill backup goalie. He is also capable of winning you games coming from the bench when needed.

Old
Sumhabs

I do not get it when people say that if biron was here it would be the apocalyps.

Auld seriously? not Biron cause the media scares the habs? This organisation is weird.

Sumhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teztify View Post
There's something wrong if you aren't at least "pleased" with this. Sure, it's not Biron or Ellis, but this is a backup who knows he's a backup, won't challenge for the start, and can play 30-40 games if he absolutely has to.

In 2008-09 with Ottawa, in 43 games he had a .911 SV% and a 2.47 GAA. He closed out 09-10 with NYR very well in the 3 games he played. Earlier in 09-10 he had a .894 SV% with Dallas in 21 games, which is still good for a backup. What's wrong with Alex Auld? Nothing.

In the words of Darren Pang.. "He's big, he's bald, he's Alex Auld!"
This. Works out perfectly for me, and he was willing to sign on the cheap too. And I wanted nothing at all to do with Martin Biron, if only for the language controversy that was going to happen.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
We get your point man..

I like you and you're one of my favorite posters here, but your constant negativity is getting a bit annoying.
Here we go with the constant negativity. Well the constant cheerleading also annoys me. Alex Auld is freakin solid. Come on. You see the other threads about the others signings and all of a sudden, EVERYBODY sucks. From Armstrong to Gonchar to whatever. Then we sign Auld.....and he's great. What would people have said if Auld would have signed elsewhere. Plese tell me.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
JayBee*

He's played just as well maybe even better than Price has over the last 2 years. I'm not sure why people are angry. Habs have decided to live and die with Price (which is fine). I'd still like to see them surround price with a good, solid d-man though... and Frolov

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Price better start 82 games now + playoffs.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
The only good part of this deal is the fact that we didn't overpay for a back up which is something I was really worried about.

4M/2 years for Ellis would have been downright horrible and stupid.

I think we could have waited and signed Auld for less than a million but at least we didn't overpay for the position itself.

There's no question at all that Price-Auld is vastly inferior to Price-Halak. So right there, we're not as good as last season and we'll have to make it up somewhere.

Des Louise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumhabs View Post
I do not get it when people say that if biron was here it would be the apocalyps.

Auld seriously? not Biron cause the media scares the habs? This organisation is weird.
Auld > Biron

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumhabs View Post

I don't really see how Biron is that much better than Auld, Biron has more experience, but that is about it.

Old
07-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
This is what I mean by a backup goalie at a backup price!

Yeah, Rangers got a little better deal for Biron - but his contract was 2 years - so I guess the HABS had to give a bit more $$$ to Auld for 1 year - not a bad deal, all things considered!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

The guys that won't play has ruin the day of some people here

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
guest1467

Quote:
Here we go with the constant negativity. Well the constant cheerleading also annoys me. Alex Auld is freakin solid. Come on. You see the other threads about the others signings and all of a sudden, EVERYBODY sucks. From Armstrong to Gonchar to whatever. Then we sign Auld.....and he's great. What would people have said if Auld would have signed elsewhere. Plese tell me.
I dare you to find a post of mine saying any of the other signings suck.

Old
07-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Well, I can't speak for everyone else..but I'm not really a fan of Auld. Then again, he's just a simple run of the mill backup goalie...so I'm not worrying about it too much. Price is clearly our guy anyways.

As for Armstrong, I would have LOVED him on the Habs, but not at 3 mill...and if Toronto expects him to play a top 6 role, well..they'll be disappointed.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rUmX

TSN link: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=326252

rUmX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tinyzombies

Auld is a big goalie who fits Martin's dumb style.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Marchy79

I like the Auld signing. He's competent, and is a vet. Good leadership for Carey to look at. Many great goalies use their back ups as help. (Esp. I bet they spoke of roles) Auld has a book on shooters i bet, & instead of feeling consistent heavy pressure (the fans + young goalie push) he's gonna have a friend who is trying to make him better, who can still put up some solid performances.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

I'm kinda neutral to this deal... I guess I don't really like Auld but hey what can you do... here's hoping he'll be halfway decent in what shouldn't be too many games.

I'm just freakin' glad we did not sign Biron. I really liked the guy but the last thing we need is controversy about having a québécois backup goalie.

Last edited by Klaus: 03-28-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
I wanted Auld prior to today. Him or Nittymaki, but the latter clearly priced himself out.

I wanted us to sign a clear backup, who would not challenge Price for number 1 job. The goal was achieved and I'm happy.
Hasn't he been handed the job enough? So basically we're saying, "Hey Carey, you can suck but we believe in you and no one is going to challenge you every again."

Inside competition is always good. Handing someone a free handout is stupid, IMO.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I don't really see how Biron is that much better than Auld, Biron has more experience, but that is about it.
which is why I think we'd be better with him as a backup. And he's cheaper.

Biron's still a good goalie who plays more game than Auld in a season.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote