HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Auld to MTL

Old
07-01-2010, 12:59 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

vCash: 500
Anyone else with me that by signing a *clear* backup, habs are looking at ways to improve their D to better insulate price?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
He is a capable backup that cost us 1 million dollars. I don't see anything wrong with it? I have watched a lot of Auld, and he is just your typical run of the mill backup goalie. He is also capable of winning you games coming from the bench when needed.
There is a possibility that Price can't do the job. Why do people think we have Ryan Miller in net. I couldn't care less about who's the backup if he REALLY is going to be the backup. But if Price fails, if Price is injured....you have Alex Auld as your starting goalie....or Cédrick Desjardins. Are you now feeling more confortable.

I mean is it too far fetched to think that Carey might not be able to do an incredible job based on what he'll have to face next season, with EVERYTHING that went on from him starting to being booed for sutpid reason, from the fans favorite player being traded and so on....Is it too far fetched to think it's possible we might have to use this backup more than what we'd like?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bieber fever

1M$ for a back up..............we now have the cap for kavalchuk !

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kool Aid View Post
Yeah, Rangers got a little better deal for Biron - but his contract was 2 years - so I guess the HABS had to give a bit more $$$ to Auld for 1 year - not a bad deal, all things considered!

We couldn't have waited, you know, a month and signed Curtis Sanford for $500,000 instead?

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Anyone else with me that by signing a *clear* backup, habs are looking at ways to improve their D to better insulate price?
I have that feeling too.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Here we go with the constant negativity. Well the constant cheerleading also annoys me. Alex Auld is freakin solid. Come on. You see the other threads about the others signings and all of a sudden, EVERYBODY sucks. From Armstrong to Gonchar to whatever. Then we sign Auld.....and he's great. What would people have said if Auld would have signed elsewhere. Plese tell me.
Well said, there's all always push and shove when people stand on extremes. If the board could be a bit more neutral when criticizing the organization's moves they would be less of both ends.

BTW Auld is a solid signing, it's confirmed and on paper

I don't like it

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecyferDown View Post
I'm kinda neutral to this deal... I guess I don't really like Auld but hey what can you do... here's hoping he'll be halfway decent in what shouldn't be too many games.

I'm just freakin' glad we did not sign Biron. I really liked the guy but the last thing we need is controversy about having a Quebecois backup goalie.
Desjardins might not be Québécois, but he's franco. And the day might not be too far that he becomes the backup.

Old
07-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Sumhabs

Quote:
I don't really see how Biron is that much better than Auld, Biron has more experience, but that is about it.
You cannot ignore (and I know you will maybe not like it) the local boy factor.

As a ticker buyers would I have liked more to see Biron as our 2nd goaler? Of course, and knowing the he will receive less than 3 millions for 3 years and that himself, Biron, tell the medias he would like to be number 2 here, I do not get it and like you said, he is better.

For me, it makes no sens.

Sumhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:02 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Wow Tampa steals Ellis from us just like they stole Boucher...friggn Tampa...

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:03 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Hasn't he been handed the job enough? So basically we're saying, "Hey Carey, you can suck but we believe in you."

Inside competition is always good. Handing someone a free handout is stupid, IMO.
I'm curious to see if he can swim. Or to watch him sink. It's been long enough with the goalie controversy, I'm tired of it. So is the organization it seems.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:04 PM
tinyzombies

Clearly they wanted a big goalie. That's why they went with Price in the first place. Auld is 6-5.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:04 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
There is a possibility that Price can't do the job. Why do people think we have Ryan Miller in net. I couldn't care less about who's the backup if he REALLY is going to be the backup. But if Price fails, if Price is injured....you have Alex Auld as your starting goalie....or Cédrick Desjardins. Are you now feeling more confortable.

I mean is it too far fetched to think that Carey might not be able to do an incredible job based on what he'll have to face next season, with EVERYTHING that went on from him starting to being booed for sutpid reason, from the fans favorite player being traded and so on....Is it too far fetched to think it's possible we might have to use this backup more than what we'd like?
Every team in the league faces that same situation. Every team has one good goaltender and a bad back up they would rather not play much.

Fact #1: Injuries to goaltenders are rare.
Fact #2: For good or bad, the management put its faith in Price so they aren't planning on Price possibly choking. If there had been doubts in their mind about Price, they would have traded him and kept Halak.

The logical follow up to this is to save cap space by signing a true back up goalie, avoid any controversy and media circus around who's starting next game and play the crap out of the guy that was chosen to be the #1.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:05 PM
viasyncro

Start removing ellis from your twitter accounts

viasyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Magic33

If Price struggles, we are in big trouble. What if Price can't play 50 quality games a year? I don't like this signing at all, especially considering the year Price just had.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:07 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBunny View Post
Not a bad signing. Didn't like him too much in Ottawa though.
hated him in vancouver

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Desjardins might not be Québécois, but he's franco. And the day might not be too far that he becomes the backup.
Born in NB but raised in Quebec, like Matthieu Proulx. He is quebecois. I know it's not the issue but it just wanted to clarify that point

By the way, RDS is on fire right now and the Baron is really pissed. They wanted Lalime...Look at his stats : 33 wins in 115 games since the lock-out. He is done, I bet that he gets no serious offers this summer and retires.

At least Auld was decent with the Stars.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
The only good part of this deal is the fact that we didn't overpay for a back up which is something I was really worried about. 4M/2 years for Ellis would have been downright horrible and stupid.

I think we could have waited and signed Auld for less than a million but at least we didn't overpay for the position itself.

There's no question at all that Price-Auld is vastly inferior to Price-Halak. So right there, we're not as good as last season and we'll have to make it up somewhere.
Gauthier's motto was "It's important to have 2 great goalies in an organization". Sorry, don't see Auld in the great goalie category. I could see Ellis flirting with it though. And I thought that the idea was to avoid giving 4M$ to Halak by obviously giving way less to the backup. To me, 2M$, is way less than 4M$ and if Price fails or is injured, I'd be glad to have Ellis instead of Auld as my starter.

Quote:
I dare you to find a post of mine saying any of the other signings suck.
Obviously was referring to the general mood of the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Well, I can't speak for everyone else..but I'm not really a fan of Auld. Then again, he's just a simple run of the mill backup goalie...so I'm not worrying about it too much. Price is clearly our guy anyways.

As for Armstrong, I would have LOVED him on the Habs, but not at 3 mill...and if Toronto expects him to play a top 6 role, well..they'll be disappointed.
And that's what kills me. We are totally GUESSING that Price is our guy. Not based on his potential, we have already established that he has the potential to be a Vezina.....but on how he'll really be able to fulfill that potential. Clearly that,s what the organization tell us....

As far as Armstrong is concerned, you didn't see me bashing Gauthier for not signing him. It is expensive. Doesn't change the fact that hockey wise, I believe TO did good.

Old
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Gauthier's draft and first few hours in Free agency looks like he's stupid.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
The guys that won't play has ruin the day of some people here
So a guy that won't play will be paid 1 M$? Might as well take a guy who would have made 500 k$....

Old
Gary320

I'd rather have Auld over Lalime anyday of the week.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I think this will be the only move we make today. Maybe outside out re-signing some RFAs.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:10 PM
guest1467

Quote:

Maybe I am just not as paranoid or worried as you are. I think Price will be fine, I also think Auld can step up if needed, he has done it in both Vancouver and Ottawa for extended periods of time as the number 1. You can sit there and worry, or you can think back at the last decade or more, where the goaltending has been basically a merry-go-round in Montreal, and we have ALWAYS been fine in that department.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Adam91

terrible, terrible move. Ellis was just too good to be true for this organization.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my ears

"Je suis Auld" LOL

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:11 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
If Price struggles, we are in big trouble. What if Price can't play 50 quality games a year? I don't like this signing at all, especially considering the year Price just had.
I'm really tired of reading this.

I am a big fan of Halak and I would have traded Price.

BUT.

And this is important, the habs management decided to put their faith in Price. In their mind, Price won't fail. Did people not see this coming ? If the intent was to go with two good goalies again, we could have kept Halak. The habs decided Price can handle it and were tired of the media circus around who was going to play the next game.

It's just logical that the next step was a 1M back up expected to play 15-20 games and no more.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote