HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colby Armstrong sings a 3 year deal with the leafs for 3 mil per

Old
07-01-2010, 01:15 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
haha on TSN they were showing a hit on Koivu by Armstrong and a guy said : And he wasnt affraid to fight Sourray after that

Can someone put the video of this ? I'm pretty sure he looks scare on it
Anyone would be scared to fight Souray... Dude is freaking tough.

Would have loved to see Lucic try to bully Souray around...

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

Oh boy!

Will it be fun games to watch or not ?! The Leafs know how to make great mooves, thanks to Burke.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Hfboards2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Hab View Post
****! 3 Mil... he hits real nice though, were really gonna hate this guy now. #NOTE# keep Markov away from him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by didjuicythat View Post
Would have been a decent fit on the Canadiens' 3rd line, but the price was steep as expected.

Now, I can go back to hating the guy for his borderline hits...
That is exactly what I had him at $3M for 3yrs and you don't play that guy on a 3rd line. He would have been the perfect player to play with Cammalleri-Plekanec or Gomez-Gionta. He brings something different on the ice that neither Pouliot nor Kostitsyn can bring.

Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:51 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfboards2010 View Post
That is exactly what I had him at $3M for 3yrs and you don't play that guy on a 3rd line. He would have been the perfect player to play with Cammalleri-Plekanec or Gomez-Gionta. He brings something different on the ice that neither Pouliot nor Kostitsyn can bring.
Having such a comment does not go well if you are being interviewed for a Habs management position.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Hfboards2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
Having such a comment does not go well if you are being interviewed for a Habs management position.
Well, seeing as I am an armchair GM, I am not too afraid of the consequences, but could you enlightened me as to why you think that?

Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:01 PM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
Anyone would be scared to fight Souray... Dude is freaking tough.

Would have loved to see Lucic try to bully Souray around...

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Erika

LOL 3 Millions for Colby ''Cheap shot artist'' Armstrong ?!?!

The Leafs got hosed !! WOW !! This is Jeff Finger all over again

Last edited by Erika: 07-01-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Finger is worst.
A JFJ souvenir if I am not wrong.
JFJ
JFJ was awesome. Good time...good times.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Good player, but Moore is a better fit for our team. It would be great to have one more centre with experience, for depth purposes. Depth is important in the playoffs, at C and at D.

Nice move by the TML but I wouldn't like that deal as a fit for us.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 04:50 PM
akratique

Typical Burkian move. Seems to me they need top 6 players, not more 3rd liners. And if they trade Kaberle, who's going to get the puck out of their zone? Plain weird.

akratique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 05:59 PM
ILUVTHISGAME

Wow.. More reason to absolutely loathe the Leafs. Armstrong is nothing but a cheap-shot punk.

ILUVTHISGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:00 PM
ILuvLucic*

Too much, but it makes the Leafs a much tougher opponent.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:08 PM
KnuklZ

If they have him slotted as a top6 guy and think he can put up 40-50 pts with more minutes then 3 mill is not that bad. But if puts up same numbers as last year and plays 3rd line most of the year then this is about .5-1 mill too much.

KnuklZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I don't understand. Armstrong is a guy I'd love to have, but it seems like Burke is obsessed with signing guys like this...Armstrong is great, but he's not a guy who will win you games. He is a guy who helps the guys who win you games. I don't get who is going to be their gamebreaker...Kessel?

That team really stinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuklZ View Post
If they have him slotted as a top6 guy and think he can put up 40-50 pts with more minutes then 3 mill is not that bad. But if puts up same numbers as last year and plays 3rd line most of the year then this is about .5-1 mill too much.

He's here to play on our 3rd line, like Burke said when he addressed the media today.

An upgrade over the likes of John Mitchell, I would say.

He is slightly overpaid by about 500 grand, but that's the beast that is free agency. At least we didn't hand him a NTC like Vancouver did with Malholtra, and the term is reasonable.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccliquer View Post
He's here to play on our 3rd line, like Burke said when he addressed the media today.

An upgrade over the likes of John Mitchell, I would say.

He is slightly overpaid by about 500 grand, but that's the beast that is free agency. At least we didn't hand him a NTC like Vancouver did with Malholtra, and the term is reasonable.
With the money they have tied up in goal and on defense, if they pay 3rd liners 3 mil they won't have anything left for top 6 guys.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:12 PM
KnuklZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
With the money they have tied up in goal and on defense, if they pay 3rd liners 3 mil they won't have anything left for top 6 guys.
good point, and TO needs top6 talent more than anything else. Versteeg would not play top6 on a contender.

Old
07-01-2010, 07:14 PM
JackZap

3mil for 3rd line players is way to much

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Kessick

We're not in cap trouble, so I'm not worried.

Burke says he's prepared to move players out via trade or to the minors if he finds us in cap trouble.

Right now we have slightly more than $7 mill in cap space, this is with Kaberle and Finger included in the calculations.

Burke said in his conference call that he's not done and he will keep trying to upgrade the top 6 positions. He also mentioned that he expects to hear from some teams about Kaberle next week, so there's always that option (hopefully).

Old
07-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Turboflex*

3 million for a 3rd liner is ridiculous. This is gonna milan lucic jr. for the leafs. Overhyped 3rd liner who throws occasional big hits overpaid by 2 million.

Well if you're not going to be serious about winning, may as well keep the fans happy with some flash.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:34 PM
KnuklZ

Kulemin will eat a chunk of that cap space (3 - 3.5 mill), which leaves you with about 5.5 mill and you still need to sign 5 players.

Lets say you trade away Kaberle and his cap friendly contract you just created a hole or losing your best puck mover/PP quaterback. Most likely you will get a top6 guy making about the same money (ie Savard).

Bozak is also an RFA next year and if he develops into a top C, you need $$$ to sign him.

I think they have no choice but to bury Finger in the AHL.

Old
07-01-2010, 07:36 PM
kent_carlson

Too much money at first, but the Leafs don't have many good forwards, maybe he's gonna get 1st-2nd line duty

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
Too much money at first, but the Leafs don't have many good forwards, maybe he's gonna get 1st-2nd line duty
After Kessel Toronto has Versteeg who's a 20 goal guy and a bunch of guys that have never scored 20 before. They need a lot of help up front.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Schooner Guy

A nice addition for the Leafs but Armstrong is over-rated and hence big time overpaid. This is something like the Leafs acquiring Phaneuf.....Dion and Colby are overrated because they make a few highight reels with their big hits. Dion's worse than McCabe defensively and Colby's offense is far too limted to warrant $3m per season.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuklZ View Post
Kulemin will eat a chunk of that cap space (3 - 3.5 mill), which leaves you with about 5.5 mill and you still need to sign 5 players.

Lets say you trade away Kaberle and his cap friendly contract you just created a hole or losing your best puck mover/PP quaterback. Most likely you will get a top6 guy making about the same money (ie Savard).

Bozak is also an RFA next year and if he develops into a top C, you need $$$ to sign him.

I think they have no choice but to bury Finger in the AHL.
If we were giving Kulemin 3 million+ he'd be signed already. From what I read we are offering something around 2.5 million.

I have no idea what the salary will be of the player we may or may not get for a Kaberle deal so I won't speculate there.

Good point about the Bozak raise. We're gonna have to make some tough decisions in regards to upcoming RFAs after next season. But I'm not gonna project that far down the line - as of right now the cap situation is manageable.

And I agree, we will probably need to resort to sending Finger down. I guess it helps when you're a fan of a team that can afford that, as I'm sure the habs would do just that if they found themselves in such a predicament. Wish we never signed him but now that we're saddled with that albatross of a contract, I'm relieved to know Burke said he won't hesitate to make cap room.

I'd like to point out again that Armstrong will not get 1st or 2nd line duty for those of you who keep suggesting it. Burke said today that he sees him as a 3rd liner going forward.

Old
07-01-2010, 07:54 PM
KnuklZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccliquer View Post
If we were giving Kulemin 3 million+ he'd be signed already. From what I read we are offering something around 2.5 million.

I have no idea what the salary will be of the player we may or may not get for a Kaberle deal so I won't speculate there.

Good point about the Bozak raise. We're gonna have to make some tough decisions in regards to upcoming RFAs after next season. But I'm not gonna project that far down the line - as of right now the cap situation is manageable.

And I agree, we will probably need to resort to sending Finger down. I guess it helps when you're a fan of a team that can afford that, as I'm sure the habs would do just that if they found themselves in such a predicament. Wish we never signed him but now that we're saddled with that albatross of a contract, I'm relieved to know Burke said he won't hesitate to make cap room.

I'd like to point out again that Armstrong will not get 1st or 2nd line duty for those of you who keep suggesting it. Burke said today that he sees him as a 3rd liner going forward.
One thing that will help is Giguere 6m cap hit will be off the books next year as he becomes UFA and I cant see him getting nowhere near that...