HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign F Manny Malhotra to 3-Year, $7.5M Deal ($2.5m per, limited NTC)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Did they offer a NTC?
They may have only offered a one year deal for all I know.

I'm still curious to hear who you thought would have been a better fit in the bottom 6 than Manny Malhotra?

Old
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Quote:
It certainly isn't a shock to watch all of you automatons unable to pull your noses from Gillis butt long enough to think critically about giving this guy a NTC.

I could have predicted most of your opinions before any of the signings were announced: "I salute our money puck overlord!", "great signing!", "luv this signing",etc etc so on so on so forth.
This coming from someone as predictable as yourself is priceless.

Old
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Malhotra got a limited NTC. That means he gets to pick a list of teams he can be traded to. This doesn't prevent the Canucks from trading him at all.
AKA the Edmonton clause. "Here is my list of the 28 teams I am willing to go to."

Old
07-01-2010, 10:05 PM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Why didn't they buy out Johnson?
Because Johnson never hurt the team. He wasn't a liability, he didn't have a big contract and he was well-liked by his teammates.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:08 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
AKA the Edmonton clause. "Here is my list of the 28 teams I am willing to go to."
Hah. Funny and true.

07-01-2010, 10:08 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Because Johnson never hurt the team. He wasn't a liability, he didn't have a big contract and he was well-liked by his teammates.
Oh. Didn't know that. In fact, I thought it was the complete opposite. Thanks for this info.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:21 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Oh. Didn't know that. In fact, I thought it was the complete opposite. Thanks for this info.
You? Take a negative position regarding the Canucks?

I don't believe it.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Malhotra has been a 30 point player and a good PKer for the better part of the last 6 seasons now. He's just entering his age 30-32 seasons. I don't think we're going to see a decline here. If he continues to put up those 30 points while remaining a solid penalty killer, it's money well spent.
Yeah, I think Malhotra's being shortchanged. He's been the centre on a couple very good even strength lines over the last couple years. Last year in San Jose his line was dominant at even strength.

'09-'10

2.91 goals for/60MIN - 1.38 goals against 60MIN

The year before he played 18:00 a night under Ken Hitchcock and was on a strong 5 on 5 line again...

'08-'09

2.60 goals for/60MIN - 1.94 goals against/60MIN

Malhotra has been a very effective even strength player over the last few years playing relatively difficult opposition. He's also done well with 1st and 2nd unit PK icetime.

You're only going to be disappointed by Malhotra if you're relying on him for consistent offense. For what the Canucks need out of him I think he'll do very well in Vancouver. If Malhotra fills a role similar to Chris Kelly in Ottawa I think it's a success.

Ryan Kesler has taken an insane number of defensive zone draws over the last couple years - Malhotra should help lighten the load in this regard considerably next year. Could this mean Kesler takes another step offensively? Hard to imagine but stranger things have happened.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Ryan Kesler has taken an insane number of defensive zone draws over the last couple years - Malhotra should help lighten the load in this regard considerably next year. Could this mean Kesler takes another step offensively? Hard to imagine but stranger things have happened.
Having both of them on the ice (in case one is thrown out) to take faceoffs in our zone late in the game in a one goal game. Can see that being the difference in at least a game or two given his insane faceoff winning percentage.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:29 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
'08-'09

2.60 goals for/60MIN - 1.94 goals against/60MIN
When he did this he was playing against the toughest competition of regular forwards on Columbus too.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:35 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Which is the main thing for me. If Malhotra can ease the pressure of taking defensive zone faceoffs and penalty killing off of Kesler, we may see a bit more offensive Kesler.

Any chance that Malhotra becomes the first unit centre on the PK? Not because I think he's a better defensive player, but that would give Kesler more even strength minutes to work with and obviously more offensive opportunities.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:35 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Having both of them on the ice (in case one is thrown out) to take faceoffs in our zone late in the game in a one goal game. Can see that being the difference in at least a game or two given his insane faceoff winning percentage.
On a team level, an increase from 50% to 60% on faceoffs is worth about 25 goal differential according to Behind the Net (link). I don't think it's unrealistic to think that the effect of Malhotra's faceoff abilities is ~+5 goal differential over the course of a season versus Wellwood/Johnson.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Yeah, he was the league's best faceoff man last year. That's a huge attribute to add to the table - having a LH and RH centreman that excels on faceoffs.

It hasn't been talked about a whole lot but the Canucks have gone from being a good skating team to an elite skating team. Ballard, Hamhuis, Malhotra, Oreskovich and Tambellini are all very very good skaters. Have the Canucks ever iced a team that could skate like the group they've just assembled?

Making your team faster as well as harder to play against isn't an easy task. It looks like the Canucks have done just that.

Now move Cory Schneider for a quality roster player. If you're going to go for it, go for it.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Yeah, he was the league's best faceoff man last year. That's a huge attribute to add to the table - having a LH and RH centreman that excels on faceoffs.

It hasn't been talked about a whole lot but the Canucks have gone from being a good skating team to an elite skating team. Ballard, Hamhuis, Malhotra, Oreskovich and Tambellini are all very very good skaters. Have the Canucks ever iced a team that could skate like the group they've just assembled?

Making your team faster as well as harder to play against isn't an easy task. It looks like the Canucks have done just that.

Now move Cory Schneider for a quality roster player. If you're going to go for it, go for it.
Nah, I think we need to move Bieksa for another quick, gritty third line LW and get excited for training camp.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:49 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
I was going to agree, but then we might be better off holding onto him for now. For 900k, he makes an awfully good backup to Luongo and insurance incase he gets injured. Besides, there's a good chance Bieksa fetches more in a trade than Schneider does, so hopefully we get that good, cheap bottom-6 player for Bieksa.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
On a team level, an increase from 50% to 60% on faceoffs is worth about 25 goal differential according to Behind the Net (link). I don't think it's unrealistic to think that the effect of Malhotra's faceoff abilities is ~+5 goal differential over the course of a season versus Wellwood/Johnson.
But is that assuming both players take the same amount of faceoffs? Because Malhotra should see a TON more draws than Kyle Wellwood or Ryan Johnson ever did.

Depending who plays on the 4th line the Canucks could be the best faceoff team in the NHL next season. The Canucks will start with the puck a lot and are very good at holding onto it - that's a great combination.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:53 PM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Seconded, Johnson was awful last year. Definitely contributed to our bad PK, didn't do anything offensively, and got hurt a lot. I'd call him a liability.

Old
07-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Pump n Dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Or let's just keep him in the cupboard until the food goes bad and throw him in the trash.

The classic Canuck development system.

You guys forget about the Sedins so quickly.
For Pete's sake, let him show he can make the freaking team first. He isn't being "kept in the cupboard" - he ain't even fully baked!

Old
07-01-2010, 11:27 PM
NCPokey

Not only did Malhotra outscore Wellwood, he's a great faceoff guy and penalty killer. I think he's definitely worth the extra million or so over Wellwood. In a perfect world, they'd be able to grow a player like that within the organization at a cheaper price, but there's not really anyone like that in the pipeline. He's probably overpaid by about 750k, but it's nice to see Gillis getting something done. On July 1, if you're only willing to pay someone what they're worth, you end up with Brad Isbister and Jan Bulis.

Old
07-01-2010, 11:28 PM
nucks_07

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Seconded, Johnson was awful last year. Definitely contributed to our bad PK, didn't do anything offensively, and got hurt a lot. I'd call him a liability.
some people just see his blocked shots and think he's an elite pker, it drove me insaine watching somebody fake a shot and johnson go flying out of the zone, turning it into a 5-3 and they would usually score

Malhotra is exactly what this team needs on the bottom 6, Elite faceoff man solid pker letting burrows and kesler move to the 2nd unit keeping them fresher

best free agent day I've seen the canucks have since i've been a fan

Old
07-01-2010, 11:30 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPokey View Post
if you're only willing to pay someone what they're worth, you end up with Brad Isbister and Jan Bulis.
Or Marc Chouinard, Ryan Johnson, Kyle Wellwood, Byron Ritchie, the list goes on. The fact that we actually brought in a proven third line player, albeit at top-dollar, is a refreshing breath of fresh air.

Old
07-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Ziostilon

Quote:
moving Schneids is a trade deadline move. we haven't even showcased him enough yet to increase his value. (maybe decrease, lets hope not)

Old
07-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Sayonara77
Farewell Kes

Bit of an overpayment but a solid signing regardless and fills a great need. Should help take the load of pressure off of kesler/burrows in regards to the their defensive responsibilities.

Malhotra is one of the best third line centers out there, a elite face off man, fast and a great pker, he will help in improving the PK/FO substantially.

Last edited by Sayonara77: 07-02-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old
07-01-2010, 11:48 PM
clyankees47

Quote:
Don't forget.... Kesler is a right handed shot and Malhotra is a left-handed shot. So late in a game....the two could alternate depending on which side of the ice the faceoff is in.... which will only increase both players' faceoff winning percentages..... which are both already insane as it is.

Old
07-01-2010, 11:59 PM
VanEric

I think it's safe to come back around here after craziness that happened when the Canucks were eliminated!

I firmly believe that the reason Gillis didn't offer Malhotra anything last year was because he had Wellwood & Johnson and thought Hodgson was going to be a factor. This year he's choosing not to count on a rookie for anything. That's the way that Detroit does it and that's the way it should be done, IMO. Gillis has said several times that if anyone shows he can make the team then he will stay on the team. It was proven with Aaron Rome last year. He had a great training camp and when the time came for someone to go, he stayed up. If Hodgson or Schroeder or anyone shows plays well enough then they'll get their opportunity to prove it. Unless you're a Top 5 wunderkind prospect there's no need to be rushed into the NHL.

On Malhotra -> Some are saying the Canucks overpaid but the market dictates what he's paid. The alternative was what, exactly? Matt Cullen got 3.5. Is there a huge difference there? He's overpaid if you look at Burrows and Samuelsson but people said Samuelsson was overpaid last year! Burrows is very underpaid but he's also shown that he is only a $2 million player when he's not with Hank and Dank.

Back when he was with Columbus, Ken Hitchcock really liked Malhotra because of how he accepted the defensive role. He would often put him up with Rick Nash because he knew he could count on Malhotra to make smart plays. Malhotra didn't have a job right away last year because he wanted to go to a winner and most of those teams didn't have room. He took less money to go to a good team and proved himself. If you add in a 4th line centre who can kill penalties too then Ryan Kesler's life just got a whole lot better. Regardless of Ryan Johnson's faceoff %, he always seemed to lost the important draws.

Pierre McGuire really showed his true colours today with his ridiculous rant about Cody Hodgson. Both Kesler and Malhotra can play the wing in the future if needed. The way things line up right now, Sammy has 2 years left and Burr & Malhotra have 3. Who knows about Raymond? In 3 years, Hodgson & Schroeder's ELC's will have expired and they'll need bigger money. The Sedins will have just 1 year left on their deal. It's clear to me that while Gillis is trying to WIN NOW, he's also operating under the assumption that he's going to be here for a long time so he better not make a mess of things.

Closed Thread