HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We have between 4.7m and 5.4m in cap space, what to do?

Old
07-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Kovalchuk would be taking this team in the wrong direction. We have a leadership group that gets it, that knows you have to work hard and sacrifice all over the ice to have success. Kovalchuk is from another world, one where he has had little team success and does whatever he wants to cherrypick his offensive opportunities. NO thanks.

Meanwhile, I had two names come to mind of veteran RIGHT-HAND SHOTS that could help us up front.

They would have to be willing to sign for one year at a time, for no more than $2M and show at least 15-20 goals for it to earn another year.

Owen Nolan and Billy Guerin.

These guys will win their board battles and go to the net, get dirty. They could be what we need.

Just one of them. We could give one a try for either the 2nd or 3rd line RW position.

This is possibly a short-term solution if this year we can't afford Frolov, don't land Stempniak, and can't trade for a Clowe or Fehr or Ryan.
Yes to nolan NO to guerin, he just doesn`t cut it anymore. He is the main reason crosby went to shoot first.

Lars The GOAT Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 04:44 PM
prairie hab

Washington could be an interesting team to watch over the next while - they owe Backstrom some big time cash here right away, and do not have many players signed yet for the upcoming season.

One guy I could see being a good fit in the top 6 at a reasonable price is Brooks Laich. He makes just over $2million, and is a 40-55 point guy. Hits a ton, a good teammate, defensively responsible, and still young.

The problem is, the Caps will likely keep him because his contract IS very affordable......

Other names I like in trades in terms of top 6 forward "fit", and fulfilling need:
Dustin Brown
Andrew Ladd (I know he was just dealt)
Brendan Morrow (unlikely)
Bryan Little

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 05:25 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Kovy will get you more wins than the opposite.
And the evidence for this bold statement is............searching though history............checking Atlanta Thrashers...........checking Russian National Team at 2010 Olympics..............checking Stanley Cup record books (LOL!!).......checking how much worse Atlanta got after the trade of this "win machine" to NJ than before..............

I give up. I can't seem to find any evidence. You?

Quote:
It's also adding a good sales pitch for players to come play for us.
Yes, Atlanta was just a Mecca for star hockey players, Heatley came running there, Hossa signed there as a free agent, Marc Savard rushed in to play with Kovy the first chance he had to pick a team to play for.......oops, sorry, I was watching the movie in REWIND.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
And the evidence for this bold statement is............searching though history............checking Atlanta Thrashers...........checking Russian National Team at 2010 Olympics..............checking Stanley Cup record books (LOL!!).......checking how much worse Atlanta got after the trade of this "win machine" to NJ than before..............

I give up. I can't seem to find any evidence. You?
There was the game winner vs. Canada for the Gold medal in 2009 (or was it 2008?).

But that's besides the point. You took my comment way out of context. I said AK + Hamrlik < Kovalchuk in terms of getting wins. Are you telling me having AK and Hamrlik will you get you more wins than swapping them for Kovalchuk...really? That'd be quite the statement.

Quote:
Yes, Atlanta was just a Mecca for star hockey players, Heatley came running there, Hossa signed there as a free agent, Marc Savard rushed in to play with Kovy the first chance he had to pick a team to play for.......oops, sorry, I was watching the movie in REWIND.
Yes, while playing in front of 2000 rabid hockey fans. On a team with an internal cap. With basically no support cast. Yes, I'm sure hockey players are looking at a situation like that and thinking it's heaven.

They basically had to trade for all of their new acquisitions from a team in cap hell. It's not like they were grabbing top free agents left and right yesterday and today.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Captain Saku

we don't have 5.4M$ in cap space, after signing price and Lapierre we will barely have 2M$ in cap space.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 06:57 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
You took my comment way out of context. I said AK + Hamrlik < Kovalchuk in terms of getting wins. Are you telling me having AK and Hamrlik will you get you more wins than swapping them for Kovalchuk...really? That'd be quite the statement.
OK, so I'll make quite the statement.

Hamrlik and AK46 will give a team more wins than having Kovalchuk instead.

Mind you, this is not real praise for Hamrlik and AK46. Kovalchuk could play against a dog and a monkey, and the dog and monkey will collectively outscore him, since he never backchecks. But if you put Kovy on a team where he can play LOTS of minutes, and no one really cares about the result (remember, there are only 2000 fans in the stands, and half are cheering for the visitors, while the other half came to see the fights), you might be able to look up at the end of the season and see that he scored many goals. Of absolutely ZERO consequence if the goal is to win the Stanley Cup, not the Maurice Richard trophy.

Keep him FAR from my team, please. Oh, and by the way, Hammer and Kosty together don't earn $11.5M, not even if we include the salaries for the dog and monkey.

Besides, your whole comparison misses the point. Sure, it would be great if we could make $8.75M of cap space by moving Hamrlik and Kostitsyn out. But I could envisage THOUSANDS of better ways to spend that money than on 75% of Kovalchuk.

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 07-02-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old
07-02-2010, 07:01 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
we don't have 5.4M$ in cap space, after signing price and Lapierre we will barely have 2M$ in cap space.
Do we really need to sign Lapierre?

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:07 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post

We.

Old
07-02-2010, 07:08 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Why the hell wouldn't we?

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
OK, so I'll make quite the statement.

Hamrlik and AK46 will give a team more wins than having Kovalchuk instead.

Mind you, this is not real praise for Hamrlik and AK46. Kovalchuk could play against a dog and a monkey, and the dog and monkey will collectively outscore him, since he never backchecks. But if you put Kovy on a team where he can play LOTS of minutes, and no one really cares about the result (remember, there are only 2000 fans in the stands, and half are cheering for the visitors, while the other half came to see the fights), you might be able to look up at the end of the season and see that he scored many goals. Of absolutely ZERO consequence if the goal is to win the Stanley Cup, not the Maurice Richard trophy.

Keep him FAR from my team, please. Oh, and by the way, Hammer and Kosty together don't earn $11.5M, not even if we include the salaries for the dog and monkey.

Besides, your whole comparison misses the point. Sure, it would be great if we could make $8.75M of cap space by moving Hamrlik and Kostitsyn out. But I could envisage THOUSANDS of better ways to spend that money than on 75% of Kovalchuk.
See, he lead the Devils in scoring in the POs, ahead of o gritty, plenty of intangibles and team guys like Parise and Langenbrunner.

Put the tag you want on Kovalchuk, but in a Habs jersey, he'd be miles ahead of any forward we currently have that can win a game single-handedly. Yep, even Mike Cammalleri. In fact, his highest season goals total is only marginally better than Kovalchuk's scoring pace in his first two seasons.

The fact he's on the ice means the team won't be spending as much time in the defensive zone, because the defense will not be pinching as much with him skating near that blueline.

Your opinion is your own, but I'd rather add a player that brings a whole new dimension to the team than having guys like Hamrlik and AK eating cap space. Our farm system has provided us recently with good complementary players, but no real gamebreakers (with the exception of Halak, who we traded). There's one on the market, we can add around him with the youngsters coming up.

That said, I'm not sure he'd really want to sign here.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:45 PM
gusfring

Bury Hamrlik and get another 5.5 mill. Simple.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Resident Tough Guy

Hey guys, is MTL looking to sign a cheap enforcer since Laraque blew up...or do you think they'll go without?

Resident Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident Tough Guy View Post
Hey guys, is MTL looking to sign a cheap enforcer since Laraque blew up...or do you think they'll go without?

Montreal's coach doesn't like the idea of having a designated goon. If the guy can play, then he will be looked at.

This seems to be the trend for most teams today.

Lets take the cup winners as an example. Chicago had alot of guys who stirred the pot and could take care of themselves, but they all brought something else to the table whether it be Eager, Burish, Byfuglien, Ladd etc... Thats the way to go.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I say we try and make a deal for Bobby Ryan. AK and a first in 2011 should do it.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:26 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I say we try and make a deal for Bobby Ryan. AK and a first in 2011 should do it.
Would love it, but I think the price would be much steeper. In trying to keep Markov off the table, how close would we be if we offered our 1sts in 2011 and 2012 (not as if we'll pick an imact player ) Kostitsyn and Mac Pac ? What would it take for Neal in Dallas ?

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Would love it, but I think the price would be much steeper. In trying to keep Markov off the table, how close would we be if we offered our 1sts in 2011 and 2012 (not as if we'll pick an imact player ) Kostitsyn and Mac Pac ? What would it take for Neal in Dallas ?
There is very little I wouldn't offer for Ryan. At least very little that Anaheim would be interested in. Would I add MaxPac? Yes, but I'd hope for something in return, maybe a 2nd round pick. Would I add Gorges? I'd say throw in Hammer or Weber or even Spacek, but I doubt Anaheim has interest in them.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:49 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Montreal's coach doesn't like the idea of having a designated goon. If the guy can play, then he will be looked at.

This seems to be the trend for most teams today.

Lets take the cup winners as an example. Chicago had alot of guys who stirred the pot and could take care of themselves, but they all brought something else to the table whether it be Eager, Burish, Byfuglien, Ladd etc... Thats the way to go.
Kind of funny that all four of them are gone now.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:40 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
No... You're right. We've got roughly more than $5,600,000 in cap space.

Where you're wrong, is that we'll still have around 3M after both signings to get a guy under contract. I don't know what Price has done to the eyes of people so they have him getting a 3M+ contract. His numbers over the last 2 years are nothing to write about. On a short term deal, potential just ain't taken into account.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:20 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
add Subban and maybe they would make that trade

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 10:45 AM
yianik

Quote:
There is very little I wouldn't offer for Ryan. At least very little that Anaheim would be interested in. Would I add MaxPac? Yes, but I'd hope for something in return, maybe a 2nd round pick. Would I add Gorges? I'd say throw in Hammer or Weber or even Spacek, but I doubt Anaheim has interest in them.
Pretty sure Dallas needs a D-man, what about Kostitsyn, Gorges, and Max Pac or a pick for Neal ?

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:28 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Bury Hamrlik and get another 5.5 mill. Simple.
I don't see the Habs burying Hammer in the AHL...like everyone else, I think he might go to a team that needs to hit the cap floor, or a young team that needs a vet on D.....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:30 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I don't see the Habs burying Hammer in the AHL...like everyone else, I think he might go to a team that needs to hit the cap floor, or a young team that needs a vet on D.....

If - and this is a big IF - this team is on the list of teams Hamrlik has specified.....geeezzz I'd like to know who'se on that list.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:33 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Is Mike Milbury is the new GM of Anaheim??

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I wouldn't mind signing Afinogenov to a 1-year, $2.5M deal if he's interested. He's an option if Pouliot or Kostitsyn faulter.
I'd prefer to sign Moore, but I doubt he comes back.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Lapierre - Eller - Afinogenov
Pyatt - Boyd - Moen
Darche

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:13 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs