HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Derek Boogard (4 years @ $1.625M per)

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2010, 06:49 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Can someone please explain to me why this clown is getting paid more than Prospal?
Vinny P is still being paid by Tampa Bay.... His contract was bought out... Also, if you look at his stats over the years they have fluctuated quite a bit so his production can be very much in question.... Also, I believe it was reported that he has bonus clause available to him this season so depending on the parameters of the bonuses, he will likely be paid more money from the Rangers alone than Boogaard will be making....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I'd definitely love to see the Bruins match their 1st defensive pairing against the Rangers 4th line.
Perhaps if the Rangers ice the puck when our 4th line is out there.

Old
07-09-2010, 08:58 AM
mrichard

have to write , cannot pass

4 years for Booggart 1,6M , can't imagine that this decision have been take by the whole group including , Tort/Sather /Schonny/Clark / and all the pro scouts.
Can you believe now that you are stock with this goon who can't turn on the left side ?.......and all the money on the cap room. After Redden sign this is the worst move by the Rangers.......since longtime

WTF Slats have to sign this guy , their needs was a big young center man who can feed Gabby , it's not very complicate.

SO LONG BS

Old
07-09-2010, 09:01 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrichard View Post
4 years for Booggart 1,6M , can't imagine that this decision have been take by the whole group including , Tort/Sather /Schonny/Clark / and all the pro scouts.
Can you believe now that you are stock with this goon who can't turn on the left side ?.......and all the money on the cap room. After Redden sign this is the worst move by the Rangers.......since longtime

WTF Slats have to sign this guy , their needs was a big young center man who can feed Gabby , it's not very complicate.

SO LONG BS
i agree.....

i think

Old
07-09-2010, 09:04 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

Quote:

SO LONG BS
37 posts in 6 years, and you cannot pass to post this. This should be stickied. Everyone should be forced to stare at this for 5 minutes every time you try to come into the New York Rangers forum. Thanks, mrichard. You are a God amongst men.

Old
07-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
Still pizzin-n-moaning about this guys puny contract.

Fols on this board want the rangers to buyout Reddon and have his contract spread out over the next decade with nothing to show.

This guy will have a more positive impact on this team than Reddon ever will LONG after his contract is up.

BOOG for C
So the guy is "better than Redden." There's a glowing review if I've ever heard one. Can't wait!

Old
07-09-2010, 09:20 AM
pwoz

Gaborik doesn't need a better center, he's fine. The TEAM itself needs more GOALS GOALS GOALS!

Old
07-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Gaborik doesn't need a better center, he's fine. The TEAM itself needs more GOALS GOALS GOALS!
I disagree. He does need a big Center.

But signing Boogard is irrelevent to that need. This Boogard contract doesn't prevent the Rangers from getting that.

The Redden, Rosival, Drury and Lundqvist contracts, on the other hand, do.

Old
07-09-2010, 01:19 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Gaborik creates his own opportunities, so he doesn't need a center, no. On the other hand, a better center would only improve his performance and take some pressure off him.

Old
07-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
I disagree. He does need a big Center.

But signing Boogard is irrelevent to that need. This Boogard contract doesn't prevent the Rangers from getting that.

The Redden, Rosival, Drury and Lundqvist contracts, on the other hand, do.
The Boogaard contact alone? No.

Factor in the failed '09 "enforcer" solution, the failed '08 "enforcer" solution, the Rissmiller mistake and the fact that you're paying almost $1M to Christensen, who you would not need if you had a #1 center, and it adds up. That group accounts for $5.95M. They'll probably see 120 NHL games combined this season assuming EC plays 80 games.

What bothers me most about Boogaard is that these types of signings have a pretty horrific track record of panning out. It's almost a forgone conclusion that Sather will be breaking his neck to try and rid himself of that contract within the next 24 months, or whenever a shiny new penny catches his eye, whichever comes first.

Old
07-09-2010, 01:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
The Boogaard contact alone? No.

Factor in the failed '09 "enforcer" solution, the failed '08 "enforcer" solution, the Rissmiller mistake and the fact that you're paying almost $1M to Christensen, who you would not need if you had a #1 center, and it adds up. That group accounts for $5.95M. They'll probably see 120 NHL games combined this season assuming EC plays 80 games.

What bothers me most about Boogaard is that these types of signings have a pretty horrific track record of panning out. It's almost a forgone conclusion that Sather will be breaking his neck to try and rid himself of that contract within the next 24 months, or whenever a shiny new penny catches his eye, whichever comes first.
Excellent. Thanks MJ.

07-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I'm not crazy about 4 years - I would rather have kept Orr for 4 years - but the Rangers need a tough guy more than most teams and he's got the fists. I only hope that he doesn't save them for the other teams' goons. I hope he tears anyone that hits the Rangers' stars limb from limb. If he puts fear into the other teams then he's a bargain.

Old
07-22-2010, 02:34 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=801151

I'm just going to leave this here.

XD

Old
07-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:

SO LONG BS
You honestly believe Drury's contract is better? and If so... .
You MIGHT be able to make the argument for Gomez but I'm not going to touch that one...

HOWEVER, you are YET to see the guy play yet. Let's see what the man can do before we cry over a 1.6m contract. I could argue already that his contract is better than Brashear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=801151

I'm just going to leave this here.

XD
8 people said Boogard in the first 50 posts... I can't believe people are crying over someone who will protect our guys for only 1.6mill a year. What, you want 400k back? Why not roast bigger chickens like the extra 5 mill overpayment we are paying Drury, or the 1mill we are overpaying Rozi, or the extra 700k we are paying Girardi.. what about the extra 500k we are paying Gilroy? What about the extra 3-5mill we are paying Redden? The extra 500k we are paying Avery?

Comon people. We stood up for our players last year? Who? Who was a deterrent? Who? Let's see if Carcillo has the balls to run Gaborik this year. Let's see Pronger take a free hit at AA (let's face it, it will probably be him haha)

Last edited by Garfinkel1: 07-22-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old
07-22-2010, 03:22 PM
pwoz

Hmmm... opening night at the Garden.... Toronto.... Orr....

Does Boogaard become a fan favorite that night?

Old
07-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Hmmm... opening night at the Garden.... Toronto.... Orr....

You beat me to it!

I would say this one is a lock, providing of course both players are in the lineup. Potential heavyweight brawl of the year on the opener....Gotta love it!

Old
07-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
You beat me to it!

I would say this one is a lock, providing of course both players are in the lineup. Potential heavyweight brawl of the year on the opener....Gotta love it!
Depends on the outcome.

I don't believe they've fought since either the AHL or juniors.

At the time, I seem to remember Orr winning.

Old
07-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Oh, if only I had a nickel for every time I heard that about Brashear last summer.....

As for the "Player's you're glad aren't in your division" thread,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam83 View Post
...All dirty hits too...
Ya know, this is exactly what the poster boys for ZERO discipline don't need. Hurting opponents only assures this team will pay the price on majors and 5-on-3's, Lundqvist will grow ever aggravated by a team that he consistently has to bail out, Torts will fume about a lack of discipline beyond his control and the Rangers will piss away points for no reason other than to "send a message".

Old
07-22-2010, 04:33 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Depends on the outcome.

It isn't a predictor of the future, but Orr did win.

And an inconclusive fight here:

Old
07-22-2010, 04:38 PM
nyr2417

what bothers me is how sather just one year ago says no to orr for 4 years 4 mill whos a better overall player and maybe even just as good a fighter. but then says yes to boogaard for 650k more per year

Old
07-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Depends on the outcome.

Yep, they fought early in thier careers and it was a great tilt with Orr getting the nod. I think they had two fights in Jrs in the same year. Good fights, but Orr won both. They have yet to go in the NHL.

I used to boast about the fights when Orr was here to defend him in arguments when the concensus was he was a terrible fighter etc. Colton is a tough hombre, as is Boogey and IMO they are both top 5 enforcers in the game today. Boogey probably getting the nod as champ since Brashear and Laraque are all but done.

Opening night will be strange if they go. I'll be cheering the fight with my Orr sweater on!

Last edited by Lion Hound: 07-22-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old
07-22-2010, 04:46 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2417 View Post
what bothers me is how sather just one year ago says no to orr for 4 years 4 mill whos a better overall player and maybe even just as good a fighter. but then says yes to boogaard for 650k more per year
Boogard is actually the more aggressive player when he isnt fighting and is able to lay some very big hits.

Old
07-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Oh, if only I had a nickel for every time I heard that about Brashear last summer.....

Ya know, this is exactly what the poster boys for ZERO discipline don't need. Hurting opponents only assures this team will pay the price on majors and 5-on-3's, Lundqvist will grow ever aggravated by a team that he consistently has to bail out, Torts will fume about a lack of discipline beyond his control and the Rangers will piss away points for no reason other than to "send a message".
As far as im concerned Boogaard starts off with a clean slate. I won't judge him by his past, but i am curious to see how effective he will be in a Rangers sweater. As far as killing penalties, if Boogey is in the box for retribution for a guy taking a run at Gaborik, or Henrik then that is the kind of penalty the team wants to kill every time. There will be no "Ill-Will" from Henrik.

If he's in the box for legitimate hits from behind then that is reason to gripe.

Lastly... if I ever have to watch a season transpire again when your all-star goalie gets run in consecutive games like last year I may puke. Sheer gutless play by the team finally coming to a head only after the Girardi incident which was the worst act of non-retaliation since Dave Schultz beat the snot out of Dale Rolfe with the rest of the club looking on. Hopefully Boogaard, Prust (Insert Physical Defenseman here) are the x-factors and this up coming seasons we get to watch this Rangers team impose it's will on the opposition rather than vice versa.

Last edited by Lion Hound: 07-22-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old
07-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Boogy vs Orr
Can
Not
Wait!

Old
07-22-2010, 06:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Honestly I don't care if we pay the price on majors and 5 on 3's IF the penalties are the result of our guys settling the score. I'd rather have teams know that if you F with us you will get yours. Particularly this year when I give us very little chance of having a great season to begin with. Now if the guy is just going around head hunting for no reason...then yeah, I have a problem with that.

Old
07-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
As far as im concerned Boogaard starts off with a clean slate. I won't judge him by his past, but i am curious to see how effective he will be in a Rangers sweater. As far as killing penalties, if Boogey is in the box for retribution for a guy taking a run at Gaborik, or Henrik then that is the kind of penalty the team wants to kill every time. There will be no "Ill-Will" from Henrik.

If he's in the box for legitimate hits from behind then that is reason to gripe.

Lastly... if I ever have to watch a season transpire again when your all-star goalie gets run in consecutive games like last year I may puke. Sheer gutless play by the team finally coming to a head only after the Girardi incident which was the worst act of non-retaliation since Dave Schultz beat the snot out of Dale Rolfe with the rest of the club looking on. Hopefully Boogaard, Prust (Insert Physical Defenseman here) are the x-factors and this up coming seasons we get to watch this Rangers team impose it's will on the opposition rather than vice versa.
That would be a breath of fresh air long over due.

I understand the concern over the skill level of Boogard, but for the life of me I can't understand how fans can ignore the teams sorry history when it comes to sticking up for team mates.

I would love to have a Rangers team I could cheer for just once that has other teams at least a bit frightened.

I have no way of confirming it, but I would not be at all surprised if both Hank and Gabby went to Sather with a stereo WTF. If you are going to have star players you will have to protect them.

God I wish we could have kept Orr.

Closed Thread