HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Derek Boogard (4 years @ $1.625M per)

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2010, 02:16 PM
mostly a reader

vCash: 500
Boom Boom-Another one

Carillo will flinch. I dont' care if Orr is 17 or 77. He's right.

Anisimov was a blocking sled for every idiot on every team to take a run at. It stopped when he played with Shelley and Prust.

Frankly, I think it stopped when Shelley joined the team.

And before joining the Rangers, there had never been an indication that Shelley could play hockey. So don't eve go there.

Old
07-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly a reader View Post

Marty McSorley could not play, but he skated with Gretzky in the heyday. Why?
McSorley played in a completely different era. You're comparing apples to meth.

But Marty could play hockey. He was a beast along the boards. He could forecheck, and cycle. He could even make that occasional pass that made you go hmmmm?

McSorley was a better hockey player than Boogard will ever be.

Old
07-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Carillo will flinch. I dont' care if Orr is 17 or 77. He's right.

Anisimov was a blocking sled for every idiot on every team to take a run at. It stopped when he played with Shelley and Prust.

Frankly, I think it stopped when Shelley joined the team.

And before joining the Rangers, there had never been an indication that Shelley could play hockey. So don't eve go there.
You didn't watch much of Jody when he was a Shark.

Center ice dude. Get with the program.

Jody's offensive skills aren't impressive. At all. But he's superior in every aspect imaginable with, and without the puck compared with Derek ****ing Boogard.

Anisimov stopped getting runned when he started skating with his head up.

Old
07-29-2010, 02:19 PM
mostly a reader

The response

Who said he fights the other team's goon? One of the things about Boogard that sets him apart from the other one dimensionals is that he really doesn't care who he hits.

He goes after Glencross. He goes after Cooke. In fact, I can't wait for Cooke to get his.

Now if he's not dressed, then Prust will do it. He wasn't here for those other hits.

And Boogard transitions them to McIlrath, who hopefully can play and who admittedly I know little about.

Old
07-29-2010, 02:25 PM
ruckus*

The truth is somewhere in between all of this I'm sure.

I think the more important thing is the depth of toughness we have now.

I'm not thrilled with the Boogaard signing but the terms and money don't bother me as much as others. I can't get bent out of shape over it even if he arguably is overpaid.

I'm just happy that we've got..

Boogaard
Prust
Dubinsky
Avery
Even Cally if he has to

What I REALLY would like from this team is some more toughness out of Staal and Girardi.

I know it's not their game. I know it's not their personalities. But you know what? The team needs more out them in that respect.

Marc and Danny, I love ya guys. I really do. But show some balls and clear the crease. Let opposing players know they're not going to touch Hank.

This has to be a team mentality.

Old
07-29-2010, 02:29 PM
mostly a reader

Boom Boom

Shelley's superiority in the other aspects of the game have produced 49 points and a -29 rating over 538 games. Inspiring.

So I'll save on the subscription to Center Ice, dude.

And I will never say Boogaard is a good player. But he will serve his purpose.

Old
07-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

look at the past dozen or so Stanley Cup Champs.

tell me how many of them needed a goon. and even if they had 1, did the goon play any minutes in the playoffs whatsoever?

total waste of a roster spot.

Id take 100 Chris Neils before 1 Boogaard...id rather have a hard hitter than a guy who fights staged matches 5-10 times a year...if that.

Old
07-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
The only thing I mentioned about Hollweg was the difference in his speed, versus you're new hero. Boogard's going to be 15 feet behind the play when he's on the ice.

In you're fairy tale world you think Boogard's presense is going to make some like Carcillo flinch when he has an opportunity to lay a check on Gabork. This 17 year old philosophy is why I thought you weren't around to watch hockey in the 80's.

I'm glad Nilan got you into your enforcer fetish. I'm wondering if you enjoy any other aspect of the game though, besides fighting . . . .
I love all aspects of the greatest game in the world. I love the talent of a goal scorer(gabby), the talent of a great save(hank), the great forcheck, (Cally, Dubi, Prust) and I love the fighting aspect (boogey & prust).

You see, it might take a few years but the Rangers are acquiring some of the best players at what they do....sprinkle in talented kids like Stephan, Godzilla, Krieder, Werek and you will have something special.

Old
07-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Shelley's superiority in the other aspects of the game have produced 49 points and a -29 rating over 538 games. Inspiring.

So I'll save on the subscription to Center Ice, dude.

And I will never say Boogaard is a good player. But he will serve his purpose.
Doesn't disprove the fact that Jody, despite his pathetic skill with the puck, is without a doubt a better hockey player than Derek.

Marek Maliks a +133 in his career.

Cute analysis.

Old
07-29-2010, 02:52 PM
mostly a reader

Boomer

So many here know so much. I wish I was so smart.

When did the argument become who was better? Never said Boogaard was good. Conceded the opposite. Only say he will serve his purpose. Jody Shelley is better than Boogaard. Talk about a worthless discussion.

Stay on program.

As for the Stanley cup winners from the other poster, I'll give you 2008 Detroit and 2006 Carolina. 2010 had Eager; 2009 had Godard; 2007 had at various times O'Brien, and Fedoryk, 2004 had Dingman. Didn't go back further.

I will return to the lab now and try to duplicate the genius that I have witnessed here. You shall have your domain back

Old
07-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

tell me how many of them needed a goon. and even if they had 1, did the goon play any minutes in the playoffs whatsoever?

Id take 100 Chris Neils before 1 Boogaard...id rather have a hard hitter than a guy who fights staged matches 5-10 times a year...if that.
Until Boogey breaks his face and he is out for 6 months

Old
07-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:

When did the argument become who was better? Never said Boogaard was good. Conceded the opposite. Only say he will serve his purpose. Jody Shelley is better than Boogaard. Talk about a worthless discussion.

Stay on program.

As for the Stanley cup winners from the other poster, I'll give you 2008 Detroit and 2006 Carolina. 2010 had Eager; 2009 had Godard; 2007 had at various times O'Brien, and Fedoryk, 2004 had Dingman. Didn't go back further.

I will return to the lab now and try to duplicate the genius that I have witnessed here. You shall have your domain back
Dude, you can't win...there is a pack of 5-6 guys...who just sit here and attack everything you write...but they have no idea what it takes to build a winning team...when we signed Gabby, they cried about how fragile he is and when we got Prust they cried the guy was just a middleweight goon and when we drafted McIIrath they cried that there were so many better selections...they know it all.

Old
07-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:

Stay on program.

one more point...when we got Shelley they cried he was over the hill and we just pissed away a pick...now, they are trying to compare him to Cam Neely...it is what it is...I appreciate you backing me up.

Old
07-29-2010, 03:39 PM
NikC

until other teams in our division/conference stop using goons, then maybe you'll have an argument. When the cheap shot artists like your Richards and your Cookes stop, then we'll need someone to enforce justice. What comes around goes around, so think twice.

If Shelly were 28, i'm sure Glen would have locked him up, so commend him for avoiding another disaster scenario by signing an aging fighter to multiyear contract. (Brashear)

we've got he toughest guy in the NHL. He'll help alot of you Marys sleep better at night trust me.

Old
07-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Until Boogey breaks his face and he is out for 6 months
how exactly? you think Neil would ever fight Boogaard? hell, how many people did fight "Boogey" last year? 5? 6?

Whoopdeedoo

Old
07-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Edge

Fighting and good is one of the more interesting debates on these boards.

For the people who don't particularly favor fighting or goons, there will never be a good enough reason to have one - at any cost.

For the people who prefer fighting or goons, there will never be a good enough example not to have one;

Goons are neither as vital or as unnecessary as both extremes on this board would like them to be.

As for me, I don't have a problem with Boogaard. I'm just not crazy about the contract and would rather have held onto Orr in the first place if this was the direction we were going to take. In a nutshell, it's not the move, it's the context.

But I've got far bigger questions and concerns about this team than an Orr/Boogard debate.

This topic will still be debated, hotly, a year from now.

Old
07-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Quote:
You downplayed Shelley's accomplishments when they were compared to Boogaard's. Side-step much, do you?

Quote:
Stay on program.

When you get to that lab of yours, re-read what I had to say about past Stanley Cup winners. You'll notice I didn't say anything. . .

Old
07-29-2010, 03:51 PM
TreeSapLlama

Boogard's face punching ability is a known quantity. I will only be happy with this signing if he has the skating ability to actually hit people (and i'm not talking 1 big hit a month, constant physical pressure).

Intimidation will only work if he runs around hitting and no one on the other team is willing to fight him. Offense is (obviously) irrelevant.

Old
07-29-2010, 03:54 PM
NikC

Quote:
You downplayed Shelley's accomplishments when they were compared to Boogaard's. Side-step much, do you?

When you get to that lab of yours, re-read what I had to say about past Stanley Cup winners. You'll notice I didn't say anything. . .

and that was duly noted by him when he wrote:

"as for the Stanley cup winners from the other poster,

might want to get one of these out for yourself. i think you still have that extra large one in your closet... next to your pink slippers

Old
07-29-2010, 08:40 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
the fact that people are arguing about shelley and boogaard is a joke. They both suck in every offensive aspect of the game, and they both get minimum minutes on the ice during the game, fact is, i was happy to have shelley and in turn i think boogard is a worthy replacement, this team is young and its veterans aren't exactly bruisers, the Rangers have always had guys that can drop the gloves, some with more skill than others, but as long as we still play in the same division as the devils, flyers, isles and pens I have no problem blowing a roster spot on a Tortarella team, he plays max minutes to "his" guys anyway.
The one comparison that people should be talking about in regards to shelley and boogaard is that they were both GREAT team guys, their not guys that one or two people on the roster like and there not clowns that the other guys laugh at (see ryan hollweg), these are respected teammates that have been well regarded on their past team/s

Old
07-29-2010, 09:52 PM
chosen

Quote:
Doesn't disprove the fact that Jody, despite his pathetic skill with the puck, is without a doubt a better hockey player than Derek.

Marek Maliks a +133 in his career.

Cute analysis.
You've unwittingly stumbled into the truth. Malik was a marshmallow who could play hockey. Shelley is a tough guy who if he couldn't fight, would be hard-pressed to get past the ECHL.

Old
07-29-2010, 09:59 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

Id take 100 Chris Neils before 1 Boogaard
...id rather have a hard hitter than a guy who fights staged matches 5-10 times a year...if that.
Don't you mean you'd take (1) Chris Neil over (100) Derek Boogards? (classifying Boogard's uselessness)

I do agree, by the way. And the contract is no help. Had Sather given him a one year deal, this would be a non-issue.

Of course, I might change facial expressions if I see him pound Sidney Crosby into the bench and break some part of his body. That, I must say, would be an overall great moment for me.

Old
07-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Schweiker17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Don't you mean you'd take (1) Chris Neil over (100) Derek Boogards? (classifying Boogard's uselessness)

I do agree, by the way. And the contract is no help. Had Sather given him a one year deal, this would be a non-issue.

Of course, I might change facial expressions if I see him pound Sidney Crosby into the bench and break some part of his body. That, I must say, would be an overall great moment for me.

i would literally cry tears of joy

Old
07-29-2010, 10:13 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:

Sadly, Boogie would probably get the death penalty from the league.

RANGERS =
Old
07-29-2010, 10:32 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:

Of course, I might change facial expressions if I see him pound Sidney Crosby into the bench and break some part of his body. That, I must say, would be an overall great moment for me
If he did that just once, I would never ***** about his contract again. Somebody needs to put Cindy in her place one day.....

It doesn't even need to be into the bench, an open ice hit is fine too

EDIT- I LOL'd at we want cup's post, mainly because it's so true that he would be punished by the league for so long.

Closed Thread