HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Derek Boogard (4 years @ $1.625M per)

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2010, 12:02 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
I still remember Sather went hard after Neil last offseason and offered him 1.4 million for 4 years or something like that. I was ecstatic when I heard about the interest from the Rangers, many here did not feel the same way.

Also, Neil is a very good player but when the other team has a legitimate heavyweight he is not the same. When he used to play Montreal with Laraque he was like neutered Pit Bull.

Old
07-30-2010, 01:13 AM
BOXPLAY

Send a message via AIM to BOXPLAY
Boogaard is a beast and he will be a huge hit with the fans i cant wait to see him on the ice

Old
07-30-2010, 01:28 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Fighting and good is one of the more interesting debates on these boards.

For the people who don't particularly favor fighting or goons, there will never be a good enough reason to have one - at any cost.

For the people who prefer fighting or goons, there will never be a good enough example not to have one;

Goons are neither as vital or as unnecessary as both extremes on this board would like them to be.

As for me, I don't have a problem with Boogaard. I'm just not crazy about the contract and would rather have held onto Orr in the first place if this was the direction we were going to take. In a nutshell, it's not the move, it's the context.

But I've got far bigger questions and concerns about this team than an Orr/Boogard debate.

This topic will still be debated, hotly, a year from now.

That will always be the case. I'm not a huge fan of goons but hey I would rather have 1 and not need him then need 1 but not have him. I'm sure guys like Hank and Ani were glad we signed Boogard.

Old
07-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
how exactly? you think Neil would ever fight Boogaard? hell, how many people did fight "Boogey" last year? 5? 6?

Whoopdeedoo
If Neil goes out and hammers any Ranger then he will have to answer the bell and if he doesn't want fight Boogey then he wont hit anyone...that simple.

Old
07-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
If Neil goes out and hammers any Ranger then he will have to answer the bell and if he doesn't want fight Boogey then he wont hit anyone...that simple.
Good luck with that theory. I'm sure Neil is going to be petrified of Boogard while he's yelling from the end of the bench.

Old
07-30-2010, 10:24 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Actually more than likely if Neil hammers a Ranger he is going to have to fight Prust....middleweight vs. middleweight...

Old
07-30-2010, 10:25 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
It's not 1975, it really doesnt work like that anymore. Worst case for neil is he hammers somebody, boogard goes after him, neil turtles/doesn't drop the gloves, boogard gets an instigator + misconduct.

Old
07-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
This reminds me of so many posts by Devil fans, who say their resident tough guy is going to beat the crap out of Sean Avery. And it never happens.

Old
07-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
This reminds me of so many posts by Devil fans, who say their resident tough guy is going to beat the crap out of Sean Avery. And it never happens.
Devils crap cant beat Avery because the Rangers always has a goon.

Regarding the other post...if Neil flattens Gabby and Boogey is at the end of the bench...next shift that Neil is on the ice...u better believe Boogey is on and if gets a misconduct...who gives a s***...the point was made.

Eye for an Eye...

Old
07-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Good luck with that theory. I'm sure Neil is going to be petrified of Boogard while he's yelling from the end of the bench.
Would you rathe rhave Boogy there to fight neil or Callahan having to do it? Stop with the he will be on the bench 24/7 non sense he will play and do his job when needed. Worry about guys like Callahan scoring a few big goals and we be ok.

Old
07-30-2010, 11:24 AM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Would you rathe rhave Boogy there to fight neil or Callahan having to do it? Stop with the he will be on the bench 24/7 non sense he will play and do his job when needed. Worry about guys like Callahan scoring a few big goals and we be ok.
I love Cally's physical play but NOT when he's stupidly throwing checks at Chara and then hurting himself.

Old
07-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
What actually makes you think that Neil is going to fight Boogaard? In order for that to happen Neil has to a) be on the ice when Boogaard is out there, and b) accept the challenge. If Neil doesn't accept, what does that accomplish? Don't hit our guys or we'll send the Boogey Man out to.. take a stupid penalty trying to fight you! Look out!

Boogaard has scored 7 goals since his first year in Canadian Juniors. The guy is a completely one-dimensional enforcer that will spend 30 games in the press box and average less than 6 minutes per night. I hear the same BS about these goons every year; "We think he can play anywhere in the lineup!" or "We think we can turn him into an effective player!" 10 games in, he's parked on the pine where he belongs.

Old
07-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
What actually makes you think that Neil is going to fight Boogaard? In order for that to happen Neil has to a) be on the ice when Boogaard is out there, and b) accept the challenge. If Neil doesn't accept, what does that accomplish? Don't hit our guys or we'll send the Boogey Man out to.. take a stupid penalty trying to fight you! Look out!

Boogaard has scored 7 goals since his first year in Canadian Juniors. The guy is a completely one-dimensional enforcer that will spend 30 games in the press box and average less than 6 minutes per night. I hear the same BS about these goons every year; "We think he can play anywhere in the lineup!" or "We think we can turn him into an effective player!" 10 games in, he's parked on the pine where he belongs.
so typical...i once consider ranger fans the most passionate and more inform hockey fan...then i can to this board by a buddy of mine and i have regretted it since...because the majority of people on this board nothing of hockey...

Old
07-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
so typical...i once consider ranger fans the most passionate and more inform hockey fan...then i can to this board by a buddy of mine and i have regretted it since...because the majority of people on this board nothing of hockey...
That's funny.

Doesn't like "enforcers" = An uninformed fan that has no passion for the team? Got it. Brilliant. I cannot dispute the logic!!

Old
07-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Dagoon44

TRJXW
Boogy is a guy paid to be a deterrent. Neil is a huge chicken Sh## punk that picks his spots. Carkner will fight Boogy but Neil would rather spot pick and be tough when he wants to be tough. I am not disagreeing with the logic Derrick is a goon he is but having him needs to be a plus not a minus. Torts has the job of finding him a role. If he plays 6 minutes a night then it needs to be 6 productive tough scary minutes for the other team. If is 12 minutes then it needs to be smart up and down minutes with good center and winger to not expose him. Stop with worthless talk 10 teams called him must be good for something

Old
07-30-2010, 12:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I still remember Sather went hard after Neil last offseason and offered him 1.4 million for 4 years or something like that. I was ecstatic when I heard about the interest from the Rangers, many here did not feel the same way.

Also, Neil is a very good player but when the other team has a legitimate heavyweight he is not the same. When he used to play Montreal with Laraque he was like neutered Pit Bull.
Bump. Enforcers have an effect on players like Neil.

Old
07-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
TRJXW
Boogy is a guy paid to be a deterrent. Neil is a huge chicken Sh## punk that picks his spots. Carkner will fight Boogy but Neil would rather spot pick and be tough when he wants to be tough. I am not disagreeing with the logic Derrick is a goon he is but having him needs to be a plus not a minus. Torts has the job of finding him a role. If he plays 6 minutes a night then it needs to be 6 productive tough scary minutes for the other team. If is 12 minutes then it needs to be smart up and down minutes with good center and winger to not expose him. Stop with worthless talk 10 teams called him must be good for something
Brashear was paid to be a deterrent. Orr was paid to be a deterrent. Guys were still running our players, crashing our net, and taking cheap shots on guys. If Neil runs a guy, what good does it do to have Boogaard fight Carkner? It accomplishes nothing.

I'd take on Malone's contract before I even considered offering Boogaard the league minimum. If I want protection or a deterrent, I want a guy that actually looks like he can play hockey in some capacity.

There's nothing deterring about a reactionary altercation. If Neil runs Gaborik and knocks him out of the game, his mission is accomplished. Sending Boogaard out there a shift later doesn't suddenly make Gaborik healthy again.

You want team toughness? I can absolutely, 100% get on board with that. But there's just no way in hell that I'm going to advocate $1.6MM per year for a guy that can literally do nothing else other than throw his fists.

Old
07-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Devils crap cant beat Avery because the Rangers always has a goon.
This is a bizarre statement. The Devils goon can't beat the crap out of Avery because AVERY WILL NOT FIGHT THE DEVILS GOON! Avery's goal is to draw that goon into a penalty.

Quote:
Regarding the other post...if Neil flattens Gabby and Boogey is at the end of the bench...next shift that Neil is on the ice...u better believe Boogey is on and if gets a misconduct...who gives a s***...the point was made.

Eye for an Eye...
Bizarre again. Yes, perhaps Boogaard gets a misconduct...and Gaborik was still hit.

Old
07-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Brashear was paid to be a deterrent. Orr was paid to be a deterrent. Guys were still running our players, crashing our net, and taking cheap shots on guys. If Neil runs a guy, what good does it do to have Boogaard fight Carkner? It accomplishes nothing.

I'd take on Malone's contract before I even considered offering Boogaard the league minimum. If I want protection or a deterrent, I want a guy that actually looks like he can play hockey in some capacity.

There's nothing deterring about a reactionary altercation. If Neil runs Gaborik and knocks him out of the game, his mission is accomplished. Sending Boogaard out there a shift later doesn't suddenly make Gaborik healthy again.

You want team toughness? I can absolutely, 100% get on board with that. But there's just no way in hell that I'm going to advocate $1.6MM per year for a guy that can literally do nothing else other than throw his fists.
Let's make it simple you don't like tough guys and others do. End of story let's all stop replying to it cause our opinions differ

Old
07-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Let's make it simple you don't like tough guys and others do. End of story let's all stop replying to it cause our opinions differ
Couldn't be further from the truth, but whatever makes ya feel better, I guess.

Old
07-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:

Good thing you are not our GM...because every team in the East has a goon and you want Rozival fighting your battles...you make total sense.

Old
07-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I love Cally's physical play but NOT when he's stupidly throwing checks at Chara and then hurting himself.
I love Cally for that exact reason. He plays the same way againt everyone. Balls to the wall, hit everything in sight. It's amazing considering he's probably the smallest guy on the club. He's RUDY!

Best waterbug in the league.

Old
07-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Blueblood 2

Excuse me but the Caps just traded for a heavyweight named King Kong. Gave up a skilled prospect. We only paid in dollars. Boo Boo will serve his purpose.

Old
07-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
This is a bizarre statement. The Devils goon can't beat the crap out of Avery because AVERY WILL NOT FIGHT THE DEVILS GOON! Avery's goal is to draw that goon into a penalty.

Bizarre again. Yes, perhaps Boogaard gets a misconduct...and Gaborik was still hit.
I get it...you guys win...u don't like fighting, you don't like goons and you don't like violence...but guess what...over 25 GM's in hockey do and fighting is very much still a big part of the game and thank god for them.

Old
07-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Good thing you are not our GM...because every team in the East has a goon and you want Rozival fighting your battles...you make total sense.
Can you point me to the exact post where I said I want Rozsival to do our fighting? How about the post where I said I'm against fighting?

I suppose taking shots at me is much easier than trying to make some sort of coherent point.

Closed Thread