HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Conditioning Camp set

Old
07-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Tyler Stahl -64

07-12-2010, 08:17 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl33 View Post
any comment on Justin Shugg in the prospect camp?

Size-Skill and compete level...dou you think he will become a NHl player?

thank's
Compete level seemed ok, not so sure about the skills. He seemed minor-league to me. But of course, there's still a lot of growing to do and it's not like anyone was going 100% either.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
karparules

I know that this has been repeated by others, but I just wanted to add my two cents about Skinner at the conditioning camp. I was only able to attend the Saturday session, but Skinner was clearly the most talented player there and doesn't look too far off from being NHL ready. I'm tempted to say that he can make the roster this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he did, but he could just as easily go back to junior for one last year.
I'd be shocked if he doesn't work his tail off this summer and give the team something to think about in camp. His skill level is great, but the special thing about him is the excitement and competitive spirit that he brings to the ice. By the end of the session, even after they had all been working out all week, he still looked fired up and was grinning ear to ear. It reminds me a bit of the way Boychuk looked at the conditioning camp, but Skinner is better.

Overall, these guys looked good. Staal had moments and really shined when paired up with Skinner on 2-on-2 drills. He is really on the cusp and will probably spend most of the season in Charlotte barring an unbelievable training camp. Nash looks to me like he needs to sign a pro contract and play a full AHL season. He has the skill set, but he needs to get some conditioning in the minors. All in all, it was a great experience!

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:18 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The only thing that worries me about Skinner is that he doesn't seem to move quite at an NHL pace yet. I noticed this in highlight vids before he was drafted, then again at the conditioning camp -- a lot of the time he'll make 2-3 moves with the puck before scoring. That's great against junior kids, but in the NHL he'll get walloped or pickpocketed if he tries that sort of stuff. He's got the skills for sure though, one hell of a shot and a great attitude to boot. Maybe Charlotte to begin the season and get adjusted to pro competition?

Old
07-13-2010, 08:36 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
The only thing that worries me about Skinner is that he doesn't seem to move quite at an NHL pace yet. I noticed this in highlight vids before he was drafted, then again at the conditioning camp -- a lot of the time he'll make 2-3 moves with the puck before scoring. That's great against junior kids, but in the NHL he'll get walloped or pickpocketed if he tries that sort of stuff. He's got the skills for sure though, one hell of a shot and a great attitude to boot. Maybe Charlotte to begin the season and get adjusted to pro competition?
Can't unfortunately as that's where he'd be best suited to play. He only has 2 full seasons of Canadian Major Junior hockey where I believe the requirement to be able to play in the AHL is 4 full seasons before making the move. So it's either NHL or OHL for his next 2 seasons. He's one of the cases (much like Sutter actually) where I question the rule that is in place. The player is clearly ready for the AHL but the rules prevent him from being able to make the move.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:43 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Bummer. Based on what I've seen, which isn't much, I'd send him back to juniors rather than put him in a position to get freight-trained in the NHL.

Old
07-13-2010, 09:05 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

I'd agree with that. Not that he necessarily would get steamrolled here in the NHL, but he'd be better served in fixing his skating with another year in the OHL and a shot at Team Canada for the WJCs. Not that it's the most apt comparison, but having a kid that was just drafted and junior eligible work on his skating in the NHL is like telling a newly drafted quarterback to work on his throwing mechanics by putting him behind the Lions OL when you're playing the Steelers or the Ravens.

Old
07-13-2010, 09:33 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I'd agree with that. Not that he necessarily would get steamrolled here in the NHL, but he'd be better served in fixing his skating with another year in the OHL and a shot at Team Canada for the WJCs. Not that it's the most apt comparison, but having a kid that was just drafted and junior eligible work on his skating in the NHL is like telling a newly drafted quarterback to work on his throwing mechanics by putting him behind the Lions OL when you're playing the Steelers or the Ravens.
I'm not sure the skating issue is a major as some make it out to be. If it makes the team out of camp, he'd likely be on the 3rd line which, as I've always believed, is the perfect place for a young guy learning the NHL ropes.

On your NFL analogy, I think it's more like perfecting your footwork vs. changing your throwing mechanics. Not to say either is easy but there are differences nonetheless.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:38 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I guess we'll find out during training camp. He could always improve before the season starts, now that he's working with NHL coaches and teammates.

Old
07-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Did anyone else see on draft day, or day 2 of the draft (I don't recall exactly which day) but they were talking about Skinner and Craig Button went off the wall about people commenting on Skinner's skating as a deficiency in his game. He basically said he's seen the kid play multiple times and his skating is not as big of an issue as it is made out to be and it is definitely not likely something that is going to hold him back. Went on to say with prospects many have to have something to complain about or find a fault with and this is one of those things.

It was actually quite interesting to listen to Button because he did indeed get quite pissed off. Obviously Skinner isn't a world class skater, but I don't think he's as bad as some reports or folks indicate.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:57 AM
geehaad

Quote:
a lot of the time he'll make 2-3 moves with the puck before scoring. That's great against junior kids, but in the NHL he'll get walloped or pickpocketed if he tries that sort of stuff.
Funny, I took notice of the exact opposite of this about his play.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:04 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Funny, I took notice of the exact opposite of this about his play.
It doesn't strike you that he takes a moment to handle the puck before he releases?

Old
07-13-2010, 10:15 AM
karparules

Quote:
It doesn't strike you that he takes a moment to handle the puck before he releases?
No, I felt that he took full advantage of the time and space given to him. When he didn't have time and space, he either passed it or fought through as best he could.

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:22 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by karparules View Post
No, I felt that he took full advantage of the time and space given to him. When he didn't have time and space, he either passed it or fought through as best he could.
On that you're correct, no doubt. My concern is that the time and space given to him in the OHL and during light prospect-camp drills aren't the same as what he'll see against real NHL competition. When I see an NHL player get the puck in the slot, I'm used to a lightning-quick release. Skinner has a fantastic shot, but it lacks that split-second release that makes the difference at the next level.

Of course, it's only July. He's got months to work with NHL coaches and teammates, and for all I know he'll have a Stamkos shot by September.

Old
07-13-2010, 10:26 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
I'm not sure the skating issue is a major as some make it out to be. If it makes the team out of camp, he'd likely be on the 3rd line which, as I've always believed, is the perfect place for a young guy learning the NHL ropes.

On your NFL analogy, I think it's more like perfecting your footwork vs. changing your throwing mechanics. Not to say either is easy but there are differences nonetheless.
That's the thing, it's not a huge deficiency, but it's a very awkward stride and he's not getting the most out of his energy expenditure due to it. With a more effective and more efficient stride he could be an absolute blazer out there on the ice. Not sure I'd say Gaborik or Helm fast, but one of the faster players in the league for sure.

And yeah, footwork would definitely be a better analogy. Either way not something I want him to work on while having to face down some of the best in the league.

Old
07-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by karparules View Post
I only watched 1 day of the conditioning camp...and watched all the highlight videos that were posted..but a few of things that stood out to me.

First, I agree with the above, I thought he actually made the right decisions with the time and space he had. Either make some moves if time was there, or pass /quick release if it wasn't. He has very quick hands and seemed to me to make decisions quickly based on the situation he was facing.

Second..the guy knows where to be to give himself the best chance to score. He may not be the greatest skater, but he seems to have a knack for finding open ice in good scoring spots. That will be much tougher to do in the NHL, but to me that is something that is very hard to teach. He seems to have it and now needs to be able to adjust that to the NHL game. He really has a nose for the net...seems to be in the right place at the right time for rebounds / put backs and isn't afraid to get into the dirty areas to score.

Lastly, he is tenacious. I don't know how many times I've seen (either at the prospects camp or highlights) where you think he is knocked down and out of the play and next thing you know he is either has the puck back on his stick or is putting home a rebound.

Although I would never say his skating is bad, it does come across as somewhat awkward to me. He seems to get knocked off balance and/or end up on the ice a lot, but that might also be the aggressive style he plays. He doesn't quit though..the type of guy I hate playing against.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:47 AM
DuklaNation

The key for Skinner is to operate at a higher speed. In Jr, you have a lot of time, not so in the NHL. His 1st step is not where it should be and his release can take too long. For his size, that can pose problems in the pros.

DuklaNation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:25 AM
wings5

That's great news on Skinner can anyone tell me in detail how Jared Staal looked out there?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:35 AM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
That's great news on Skinner can anyone tell me in detail how Jared Staal looked out there?
Big. That's about it.

As for Skinner and his release/quickness, that's part of adjusting to the speed of the next level. Honestly, nobody moves up a level without *some* adjustment to the speed and quickness. For elite players, it's generally a quick adjustment. Some guys can't make the adjustment and they end up in the AHL. It has nothing to do with his skating speed or his release, it's simply a necessary adjustment which the Canes are confident he can make.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:24 PM
dafranchz

I had a chance to talk with Jeff Skinner a couple hours ago. You can hear the interview here.

dafranchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:54 PM
MD
#woofwoof

any word on when Nash will make a decision?

MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 07:55 AM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafranchz View Post
I had a chance to talk with Jeff Skinner a couple hours ago. You can hear the interview here.
Good job with the interview, and thanks for the link.

07-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

God, that guy is the ugliest skater I have ever seen, it looks like he's pooping as he moves down the ice... LOL... He seem fine on top end speed but just takes a lil while to get moving

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:50 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Sounds like JR wants to get both Skinner and Nash under contract. He said both have a decent chance at making the roster for this upcoming season. Nash I would have no qualms about signing to be our #3. Skinner deserves at least a few games to show what he has as well.

Old
07-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
In the case of Carson and Picard, Rutherford said that the one-way deals offered to each player prior to July 1 were no longer on the table following the signing of Joe Corvo, but that he would still consider bringing them back on two-way contracts.

“We wouldn’t be looking at one-ways at this point,” he said.
Carson is going to be kicking himself in the ass.

Quote:
Of course, there’s still the small matter of whether or not Nash wants to pursue that opportunity at this time. Although the player said last week that he’s hoping for a quick decision about potentially leaving Cornell prior to his senior year, Rutherford said he’s not expecting to know anything in the next few weeks.

”It’s a decision that he has to make, but at the same time if a player is going to look at a depth chart and look at an opportunity to get your pro career started, this is about the best timing or opportunity that he or anyone else would have,” said Rutherford.
Thought Nash said he'd have a decision this week?

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote