HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll: Blues #5 Prospect

View Poll Results: Who is the Blues' 5th best prospect?
David Backes 2 7.14%
Konstantin Barulin 6 21.43%
Alexandre Bolduc 1 3.57%
Trevor Byrne 5 17.86%
Colin Hemingway 5 17.86%
Robin Jonsson 0 0%
Ryan MacMurchy 0 0%
John Pohl 1 3.57%
Curtis Sanford 1 3.57%
Alexei Shkotov 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2004, 09:04 AM
degroat*

vCash: 500
Poll: Blues #5 Prospect

1. Peter Sejna
2. Konstantin Zakharov
3. Jay McClement
4. Shawn Belle

WARNING: This poll will end a couple hours before it says it will at about 7:30 am Monday morning.

Last edited by degroat*: 05-22-2004 at 10:01 AM.
Old
05-22-2004, 09:09 AM
degroat*

I think there are a number of players worthy of a vote at this spot... Shkotov, Barulin, Backes, Byrne, and you could even make arguments for a couple more.

For me, it came down to between Byrne and Shkotov and because of that NHL readiness factor plus the fact that 210 loves Byrne and says he'll be the Blues #3 dman within two years, I'm going to lean towards him. That said, a good year in the AHL next year and Shkotov could easily be considered he Blues best prospect.

Old
05-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
I think there are a number of players worthy of a vote at this spot... Shkotov, Barulin, Backes, Byrne, and you could even make arguments for a couple more.

For me, it came down to between Byrne and Shkotov and because of that NHL readiness factor plus the fact that 210 loves Byrne and says he'll be the Blues #3 dman within two years, I'm going to lean towards him. That said, a good year in the AHL next year and Shkotov could easily be considered he Blues best prospect.
I agree with all of this, but I still went with Backes.

I really feel like the Blues' system is a lot better than most of the "experts" have given it credit for. The top four already chosen would be top prospects in anyone's system, and as Stich mentions, you could make good cases for another five or six guys.

This organ-I-zation has come a long, long way from the immediate post-Keenan aftermath, when all they had on the farm was Alexandre Vasilevskii and Fred freakin' Knipscheer.

PrussianBlue

Old
05-22-2004, 09:38 AM

I voted for Pohl but certainly wouldn't argue against a Byrne choice here.

Next player to add should be Black...

Old
05-22-2004, 09:43 AM
degroat*

You're definately right about that, PB. The problem with the Blues system is that they don't have any prospects that were taking early in a draft to catch anyone's eye. That said... I'll put the Blues' depth against any farm system in the league.

Old
05-22-2004, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
You're definately right about that, PB. The problem with the Blues system is that they don't have any prospects that were taking early in a draft to catch anyone's eye. That said... I'll put the Blues' depth against any farm system in the league.
As we've seen in the last couple seasons LA has pretty good depth too, but lots of those guys are a couple years older then our guys...I think the future looks pretty good for the Blues.

Old
05-22-2004, 11:01 AM
barnburner

Byrne and Pohl are pretty close, but I went with Byrne.
If he has the chance to be a #3 dman in a couple of years,
that's pretty good stuff.

Old
05-22-2004, 01:03 PM
guitaraholic*

I voted for Byrne as well simply because of the review's I'd read of his play at the AHL level this year and his reputation among a few of my friends who watched him in college and say his character is unquestioned. If he has the ability to play at the NHL level then he *will* play at the NHL level because he's supposedly of great mental toughness and determination.
What's his talent upside, 210? Someone mentioned you see him as a legit top 3 dman? Would you say he would bring more to the table then a Bryce Salvador, for example? What do you see as his main assets?

thx

Old
05-22-2004, 03:23 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Ill keep goin with barulin until he is on the list. The kid was impressive in camp, not to mention the JR. Championships.

Old
05-22-2004, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
I voted for Byrne as well simply because of the review's I'd read of his play at the AHL level this year and his reputation among a few of my friends who watched him in college and say his character is unquestioned. If he has the ability to play at the NHL level then he *will* play at the NHL level because he's supposedly of great mental toughness and determination.
What's his talent upside, 210? Someone mentioned you see him as a legit top 3 dman? Would you say he would bring more to the table then a Bryce Salvador, for example? What do you see as his main assets?
thx
Byrne knows when to play the body and when to play the puck, and seldom gets burnt. He has a good head defensively and very seldom makes a bad play with the puck in his own end. His offensive skills are pretty good and got even better as the season went on. And he doesn't take dumb penalties.

He did make mistakes this season--and sometimes he made a lot of them. But he learned from them and got better and better as the season went on. His development was so impressive that he won the "most improved" award handed out by the Cats.

He did have a tough playoff run (the whole team stunk up the joint in a lot of games) but I think that with another AHL season under his belt he'll be ready for the Blues in 05-06 and will ultimately be the team's #3 within a season or two after.

Old
05-22-2004, 06:30 PM
guitaraholic*

In essence it's fairly accurate to say that there is no one particular thing Byrne does well but nothing that he does poorly, either, such as a drastic flaw in his skating or something of that nature?
I hope you're correct in your projections of him as a top 3 dman. With Jacks and Backman and Byrne that's not a bad start to a young group of 4 dmen....

Old
05-22-2004, 06:42 PM

The only "flaw" he might have is that occasionally he gets too aggressive in the offensive end, but as the season went on he picked his spots better and better...I would have liked to see a better playoff performence from him but all in all he had a great 1st year here.

Old
05-22-2004, 10:39 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
The only "flaw" he might have is that occasionally he gets too aggressive in the offensive end, but as the season went on he picked his spots better and better...I would have liked to see a better playoff performence from him but all in all he had a great 1st year here.
That is pretty much what jackmans only flaw was when he first came up also. He was a little to aggressive when it came to pinching in and got caught up ice. Basically he got caught trying to do too much. Hopefully he continues to follow suit with his own game. (I know he isnt in the same mold as Jackman)

Old
05-23-2004, 12:47 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
That is pretty much what jackmans only flaw was when he first came up also. He was a little to aggressive when it came to pinching in and got caught up ice. Basically he got caught trying to do too much. Hopefully he continues to follow suit with his own game. (I know he isnt in the same mold as Jackman)
I don't think that he tried to do "too much" offensively. He just picked a few bad spots, and a couple bad bounces, to pinch. After he got beat a couple times, he was then a little too laid back at times. If/when he learns to adjust and figure out all the different in-game sittuations and when to (or not to) do something, he'll be one of the top 10 D-men in the league, if not 5 IMO.

I really haven't heard anything on Byrne. But if he's really expected to be a #3 that's quite impressive...

considering our 3 right now are Pronger Jackman Backman. Is he really gonna be better than 1 of those three? Or is it a general thought of him being a #3 dman considering his talent, as opposed to where he actually ranks on the club?

Old
05-23-2004, 01:03 PM

I think he will be a #3 talent-wise, where the spot for him to play will be is up to the Blues and the roster.

Old
05-23-2004, 01:37 PM
guitaraholic*

I'm going to get a lot of heat for this this but there are about 10 other dmen under the age of 25 that I'd take over Jackman so I don't agree that Jacks will *ever* be one of the 5 best dmen in the entire league at any point in his career. His skills simply are not that good. I know we all love his character, etc., but his skill level is a notch below (maybe even two notches in terms of stickhandling) the truly elite dmen in his age group, IMO.
Backman, on the other hand..... is going to be one of the best dmen in the entire league w/in 3 years. I say this without hesitation. The kid's going to be sooooo good.

Old
05-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Epoch

Shkotov.

Old
05-23-2004, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I'm going to get a lot of heat for this this but there are about 10 other dmen under the age of 25 that I'd take over Jackman...
List them.

Old
05-23-2004, 05:21 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
List them.

I 2nd that.

Old
05-23-2004, 05:28 PM
degroat*

Quote:
I'm going to get a lot of heat for this this but there are about 10 other dmen under the age of 25 that I'd take over Jackman so I don't agree that Jacks will *ever* be one of the 5 best dmen in the entire league at any point in his career. His skills simply are not that good. I know we all love his character, etc., but his skill level is a notch below (maybe even two notches in terms of stickhandling) the truly elite dmen in his age group, IMO.
Backman, on the other hand..... is going to be one of the best dmen in the entire league w/in 3 years. I say this without hesitation. The kid's going to be sooooo good.
If you think there's a problem with Jackman's stickhandling you should pick up a new sport.

Old
05-23-2004, 05:58 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
I'm going to get a lot of heat for this this but there are about 10 other dmen under the age of 25 that I'd take over Jackman...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
List them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
I 2nd that.
I third that, and if Jiri Fischer is on that list...

Joni Pitkanen, Jordan Leopold, Rostislav Klesla, Jay Bouwmeester, Brooks Orpik, maybe Mike Komisarek, maybe Nick Schultz and maybe -- maybe -- Anton Volchenkov. That's eight, and I had to look hard for those.

PrussianBlue

Old
05-23-2004, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrussianBlue
I third that, and if Jiri Fischer is on that list...

Joni Pitkanen, Jordan Leopold, Rostislav Klesla, Jay Bouwmeester, Brooks Orpik, maybe Mike Komisarek, maybe Nick Schultz and maybe -- maybe -- Anton Volchenkov. That's eight, and I had to look hard for those.
I personally wouldn't take any of those guys over Jackman...

Old
05-23-2004, 06:31 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
I personally wouldn't take any of those guys over Jackman...

The first four I would be hard pressed not to take, but you're right, I think I'd rather have Jackman.

Old
05-23-2004, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
The first four I would be hard pressed not to take, but you're right, I think I'd rather have Jackman.
I wouldn't mind having them in addition to Jackman, but if it's an either/or I take Jackman.

Old
05-23-2004, 07:05 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
I wouldn't mind having them in addition to Jackman
LOL, I don't think anyone was questioning that. I think any team would take those guys.

But I do agree with you. Those guys are ones who you'll see on the boxscores on a nightly basis. Jackman is the guy who will keep the other team's boxscores short.

Championship teams are made out of tough, stay at home, positional, physical defensemen.

Stevens, Chelios, Lidstrom (great at everything), Comador (sp?), Hatcher, etc.

Closed Thread