HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign D Dan Hamhuis to 6-Year, $27M Deal ($4.5m per, NTC)

Old
07-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Placebo Effect

vCash: 500
bam...HUIS!

You're gonna love my Balluis

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:00 AM
MS

Have to love how badly this guy wanted to play here. Spurned both Philly and Pittsburgh, then takes a discount to sign in Vancouver.

Basically this leaves us with 5 guys who could legitimately be called top-2 (or at absolute worst top-3) defenders in this league. Absolutely sick.

Great day.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
I dono about you guys, but this week there have been 3 huge improvements on defense.

hamhuis
ballard
NO MORE BIEKSA (so soon!)

Honestly the fact that bieksa will be gone, and the amount of stupid mistakes that he does will be gone, oh god I will be happy

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 04:23 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

I love the move. I'm guessing he'll deal a couple of defenceman off for bottom 6 forwards in the comming weeks. I'm still not sure what Gillis plans for the last spot. I'm assuming Bieksa is gone. Does that leave SOB/Rome fighting for 6 and 7? Do Alberts/SOB leave and Mitchell gets brought back? Is another defenceman comming back in a trade? Still a bunch of options available for Gillis.

I also love the Malhotra move. I'm glad we are not going into training camp with Cody Hodgson as the only option for the #3 centre role. I'm hopeful Bieksa can bring in at least one good third liner, maybe two bottom 6 players. Defenceman went for a decent amount this summer, I could see Bieksa being a hot commodity since he is seen as a tough guy who can put up 40 points. I'm hoping Gillis finds a way to add two more gritty 3rd liners while dumping Bieksa plus one of SOB/Alberts. I don't think it would be terrible for Hodgson to play a 4th line role with PP time next year. Raymond went through that and he turned out fine.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:28 AM
brangle

I am very happy that the Canucks have signed Hamhuis & how much Hamhuis showed he wanted to be on the Canucks by not just signing for the team that offered the biggest contract. I worry a little bit that the contract could become an albatross in the long run but adding another good defenceman is just what the Canucks need. I am hopeful about having another good season next year and hopefully a long playoff run!

brangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
to be fair they needed appropriate time to discuss the culture change that colby armstrong would bring to the leafs
I don't know how many times I heard them say he was "the prototypical/stereotypical Brian Burke player". Man.

Oh well. They can keep trying to pump the Leafs' tires, we know we had a good day.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:48 AM
pitseleh

Interesting quote from Hamhuis:

Quote:
Still, they were willing to walk away from Hamhuis, whom they pitched personally during a morning conference call involving Gillis and his assistants, Laurence Gilman and Lorne Henning.

"I was actually really impressed with the conversation," Hamhuis said. "I was expecting to be told I might play these minutes or in this situation or Yaletown has beautiful views -- something to that effect. What they did say about ice time is: 'We're going to be playing the guys who play the best.' And they moved on to say what a commitment this organization has to the community and 'we've heard you're a good community guy and that's why we're coming after you.' It was almost not even a sell. It was almost a challenge and I really appreciated that."
http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/...#ixzz0sXosdR9M

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

^Gillis pushing the right buttons. We know he values character and integrity, and it looks like he appealed to that side of Hamhuis. Nice job, and good on Hamhuis for being impressed with it.

I really like what's coming out of the mouths of the guys we've acquired. Ballard, Oreskovich, Hamhuis, Malhotra, Tambellini...all excited to come here, all relishing the chance to play in Vancouver and compete and talking about all the positives of being in Vancouver.

It's nice to be a market that's in high demand.

Old
07-02-2010, 12:04 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Looks like Gillis really pushes his players to be the best they can become. If Ballard takes that next step, Hamhuis takes that next step, Edler or Ehrhoff take the next step, and even rookies taking that step... We're going to be a force.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:04 PM
timorousme
luongod

if we can't a win a cup in the next few years, well, its never going to happen

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I don't know how many times I heard them say he was "the prototypical/stereotypical Brian Burke player". Man.

Oh well. They can keep trying to pump the Leafs' tires, we know we had a good day.
Do not forget that Armstrong also brings proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:38 PM
God Bless Canada

I'm a big Hamhuis fan, and I think it's great that we signed a B.C. boy. From my perspective, we can't have enough of them. And we should be given priority to Western Canadian players. (I think we had 10 of them play a regular shift for us in 1994).

Hamhuis is solid. Probably the closest thing we have to a No. 1. He's durable. Give him some quality power play ice time, watch him hit 40 points. Don't be fooled by stats: he moves the puck very well. He's physical, he's rock-solid in his own zone, and he's smart. With Hamhuis and Ballard, it improves our chances of playing against a team with a strong physical presence up front. (Chicago has lost most of those great complimentary forwards, but they aren't the only team in the conference that would pose problems for us from a match-up perspective.

My only reservation is that we go into next season with the same type of defence that we had last year. We still don't have that truely elite ace defenceman, a top five or 10 blue-liner. We've never had one. We've never had the 25-30-minute defenceman. They're so hard to come by, yet they're the common denominator for most Stanley Cup champions.

I like that we have six defencemen right now who can play 20-23 minutes per game. (I'm sure one will be traded, and O'Brien will slide in for 12-15 minutes a night). It's a luxury to have depth, but at the same time, we need that dominant defenceman if we're to take that next step.

It's time to redefine our views of success. We can't view winning the division and winning a round of the playoffs as successful. With our team, we should be doing that every year for the next four years. We've gone 40 years without a Cup. From here on out, it's Cup or bust.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
^Gillis pushing the right buttons. We know he values character and integrity, and it looks like he appealed to that side of Hamhuis. Nice job, and good on Hamhuis for being impressed with it.

I really like what's coming out of the mouths of the guys we've acquired. Ballard, Oreskovich, Hamhuis, Malhotra, Tambellini...all excited to come here, all relishing the chance to play in Vancouver and compete and talking about all the positives of being in Vancouver.

It's nice to be a market that's in high demand.
Sounds like Gillis is getting good mileage out of his friend Dr. Len Zaichkowsky who is a sports psychologist from Boston University and is on faculty with MindRoom Sports Science:
http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/column...6-845bc1a23356

He is now doing more work for the Canucks:
Quote:
Last year, they hired Boston University sports psychologist Dr. Len Zaichkowsky to create a template to assess each draft prospect's aptitude for development. Although the Canucks have made no formal announcement, Zaichkowsky is now on staff and will be running the team's Mindroom -literally a purpose-built room to help players train their minds and emotions -next season.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/W...#ixzz0sY4goyci

Old
07-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Sounds like Gillis is getting good mileage out of his friend Dr. Len Zaichkowsky who is a sports psychologist from Boston University and is on faculty with MindRoom Sports Science:
http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/column...6-845bc1a23356

He is now doing more work for the Canucks:
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/W...#ixzz0sY4goyci
Holy crow. The stuff that goes into running a team. Hope it bears some fruit.

I'm still on pins and needles. Can't believe we came out of free agency on the 1st day with the guy we wanted at less dollars than he could have gotten elsewhere. Having experienced years of watching the coveted free agents take the big paydays in other markets...this is incredibly gratifying.

Old
07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
pitseleh

Another interesting quote:

Quote:
And give Willie Mitchell credit for selling Hamhuis on everything that's good about the franchise.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Mo...#ixzz0sYL9RLql

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post

Yeah, I saw that quote as well. It gave me faint hope for Willie possibly coming back.

I would like to see a 1 year deal signed at the ol' 'hometown' discount, which Willie can use to prove to the Canucks (or elsewhere) that he deserves one final multi-year contract the next year, and that his concussions are not an issue for him. Which works for the Canucks since at that point next year they could decide whom they wanted more, Salo or Mitchell.

If not us, he should have had a strong season playing for a good team (us) and would probably be able to land a decent deal somewhere next year.

Assuming he is healthy of course.

I really want Mitchell on this team this year.

Also Gillis has said multiple times he would talk to Mitchell if he was healthy and could play. I think he wants him back (And you know Luongo wants him back) but it will come down to health/money. Come on Willie, give us one year at a great rate.....

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:10 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Man, it's a shame Willie likely won't be back. I love the guy. By far my favourite current Canuck.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Stojanov*

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
if we can't a win a cup in the next few years, well, its never going to happen
TRUE STATEMENT

Stojanov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Stojanov*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Man, it's a shame Willie likely won't be back. I love the guy. By far my favourite current Canuck.
how is he a current canuck? Don't you love it when people are THAT hard on you?

Stojanov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
If he is still on the market by the end of July, I can well see Gillis offering a one year deal with a significant games played bonus clause.

Gillis has been clear he has not closed the door on Mitchell as long as he can show he is healthy.

That would be an incredibly deep and solid D corps with Mitchell there.

Luongo would be doing cartwheels.

Old
07-02-2010, 02:24 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stojanov View Post
how is he a current canuck? Don't you love it when people are THAT hard on you?
Until he signs with another team he's a Canuck in my mind.

Why do you have such a stick up your ass?

Quote:
It would be disgusting. Every single player in our top 6 would be a top 4 guy.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:24 PM
tantalum

Quote:
If he is still on the market by the end of July, I can well see Gillis offering a one year deal with a significant games played bonus clause.

Gillis has been clear he has not closed the door on Mitchell as long as he can show he is healthy.

No kidding. They could have a Salo-Mitchell or Salo-Edler or MItchell-Edler or whatever combo you want to put in as a THIRD pairing. The only way that blueline could be deeper is if it had a Pronger or Keith on it. I'd like to see that happen.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:30 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
It would be ridiculous, but would it really work? You'd have Edler, Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Ballard, Salo, Mitchell, Rome. Screw Alberts. There just aren't enough minutes to go around for those guys IMO.

Part of playing guys a lot is not just because the other players can't handle the minutes so much, it's also to get those guys into the game. All of those guys I mentioned probably play better when they're looked at to be 22+ minute guys rather than <18 or whatever, with the exception of Rome, I'm sure.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:31 PM
KDizzle

Quote:

Hopefully not while he's in net, during a game.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
this is exactly why we should bring him back for around 2m a year for 1 year

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote