DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:40 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
In this salary cap system, you spend money on your top guys and you bring in cheap, hungry youth... not overpaid fourth line "character guys." A long offseason just got much longer again.
Couldn't agree more. They should have just gone the Wathier, Gagnon, Sawada route and saved some scratch.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:43 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
I'm reminded of the Winchester/Fedoruk off-season, and not in a good way.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 07:55 PM
catters078

I dont see the value in this signing either, what does he offer that Sawada wouldnt?

i guess we can lock in our 6 d men this year..unless we lose ribs..

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Ub the Bub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellBetterBeGOD View Post
Ahh, a true fan. Jumping ship when their team blows.
I've been a fan for 18 years, since the North Stars days thank you very much... But I have no idea sitting by watching as they seemingly willing drive this franchise into the ground. Atleast back in 95-96 they had the best intentions... And I'm not jumping ship... Or rather I'm not jumping to another ship... Just leaving the shipping business entirely for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Heh. Burish's signing drove you off the deep end? Now I could see it if it was a contract that was excessive (i.e. 6 years, $18 million), but it's nothing at all to get upset at.
It was just one more thing. I mean, the point of signing another, if perhaps an ever so slightly better, Barch when no one really wanted Barch himself to stay to begin with all while you have this big budget problem to deal with, the reasoning of it all eludes me. And why, if we were gonna sign another Barch during free agent season anyway, why did we sign Barch then and two days before said transfer period began. It's like they're doing this with a tombola.

Ub the Bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

The Cup....has been won...

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Killer Keller

What is going on? He overpays Barch and now Burish. I've seen Burish listed as a winger and center, does this mean no room for Gagnon as the 4th line center? I think either Neal is gone via trade/offer sheet or one of Richie or Ribs is traded to free up the space to sign Neal.

Killer Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:27 PM
aevans0001

The Stars are turning into the Cheap mans Flyers. Bunch of thugs.

Why is everyone hating on Ott, he fills a role (that is way overcrowded now), he is fun to watch (piss off others), he can score (he just needs to work on sinking the easy ones)...

I like the Ott is still around but giving raises to Barch and Burris does not make much sense.

Begin is no longer with the team right?

aevans0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Dr GLU

Title edited.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:38 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Keller View Post
What is going on? He overpays Barch and now Burish. I've seen Burish listed as a winger and center, does this mean no room for Gagnon as the 4th line center? I think either Neal is gone via trade/offer sheet or one of Richie or Ribs is traded to free up the space to sign Neal.
Couldn't agree more. Something has to give.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Killer Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Couldn't agree more. Something has to give.
So whats the best scenario? Loosing Neal, Ribs or Richie? I think keeping Neal should be the priority. Its a toss up between Richie and Ribs. Do you keep the guy that's signed beyond next season but doesn't seem to fit the system? Or the guy that fits the system but has only one year left and will be costly to resign?

Old
07-01-2010, 08:50 PM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
I think the Stars will match any Neal offer sheet. I don't think any team will front load it to $8 or 9 million a year.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Alistar

Quote:
So whats the best scenario? Loosing Neal, Ribs or Richie? I think keeping Neal should be the priority. Its a toss up between Richie and Ribs. Do you keep the guy that's signed beyond next season but doesn't seem to fit the system? Or the guy that fits the system but has only one year left and will be costly to resign?
Trade Ribeiro off now (for something the Stars can use in the future, not ****ing Souray or Kaberle or the like) and then trade Richards off at the deadline. Go hog wild with a rebuild from scratch.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:57 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Well I haven't been shy about what I think is the prudent thing to do. Keep Ribeiro. He is worth his contract. Trade Richards as he comes off a 91 point campaign (of which over 40 came from playing the point on the PP, thus distorting his stats compared to other "centers"). Sign Neal and Grossman (who I doubt will cost a ton). Sit on your hands until new ownership comes. Ride out the storm.

*I don't really care what comes back in return for Richards. I mean, obviously you want good value. I just mean I don't want really care if we get defensive help directly from Richards, or if we use the pieces acquired there to flip for defense down the road.

Old
07-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Killer Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
Trade Ribeiro off now (for something the Stars can use in the future, not ****ing Souray or Kaberle or the like) and then trade Richards off at the deadline. Go hog wild with a rebuild from scratch.
I like it. Especially the part about no Kaberle or Souray. I don't think we need to completely rebuild, I'd like to keep Richards if he will stay for a reasonable price but if he wants too much then sell him at the dealine.

Old
07-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Killer Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Well I haven't been shy about what I think is the prudent thing to do. Keep Ribeiro. He is worth his contract. Trade Richards as he comes off a 91 point campaign (of which over 40 came from playing the point on the PP, thus distorting his stats compared to other "centers"). Sign Neal and Grossman (who I doubt will cost a ton). Sit on your hands until new ownership comes. Ride out the storm.

*I don't really care what comes back in return for Richards. I mean, obviously you want good value. I just mean I don't want really care if we get defensive help directly from Richards, or if we use the pieces acquired there to flip for defense down the road.
I like this too. I would like to get a good young Dman or even a prospect ready to step into the NHL (like Blum) for Richards. But the important part to me is keeping Neal and getting some youth in return for Richards or Ribeiro.

Old
07-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I'm reminded of the Winchester/Fedoruk off-season, and not in a good way.
^This

I'd love to know what Joe is thinking. I don't care how much grit and leadership the roster has, if no one can play defense it's not going to matter.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:53 PM
________

Burish is a much better signing then Winchester/Fedoruk. It's not even comparable.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Burish is a much better signing then Winchester/Fedoruk. It's not even comparable.
Agreed.

That said, I still don't know what the front office is thinking.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:48 PM
starsfan4ever

Seems like Joe wants all of his skill guys on the first two lines, checkers/workers/high motor guys on the 3rd and 4th.

That's nice, but our team d is still going to suck on the 3rd and 4th lines.

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:53 PM
________

My guess is they're going to use Burish as the checking line RW with Wandell and probably Ott.

Old
07-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
My guess is they're going to use Burish as the checking line RW with Wandell and probably Ott.
I am completely fine with this.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Honestly when I think of Burish paired with Ott all I can think about is the Boston game when Avery and Ott went nuts.

Cin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Bottom 6 pretty much looks like this:

Ott-Wandell-Burish
Petersen-Sutherby-Segal/Barch

It's going to be funny watching that 3rd line. Ott chirping on the left and Burish chirping in the right. That's a solid 3rd line if you ask me. The 4th line looks just like any 4th line... a bunch of plugs. Good job Joe, now lets worry a little bit about the skill component of the team.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Starsdude

Well. I think there is alot going on. First , the rangers will be forced to have afinal auction July 15 . This means that the stars sale will be next as they unwind HSg. Its possible that the team has already got a deal with the new owners contigent on the ranger deal at least equalling the Ryan/Greenberg bid. If so, we might actually be closer to new ownership than we realize. either that or Newy is the dumbest guy in hockey, I am actually beginning to think the former. If we keep everyone over the next month and if we sign a couple of more guys at d camp (boutet and Bezile?) then maybe we have hit bottom. That not to say 2010-11 won't suck. It will be it could be the low.

Yeah , Dr. Doom is getting more bullish (maybe). Worse is that Burnish kills penalties this year and is fodder in 2011-2012 when we do have money.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote