HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Stars sign Raycroft for 2 years

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2010, 06:31 PM
  #26
bhetz23
G-14 Classified
 
bhetz23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangster View Post
Pretty sure Emery's career is over.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
^
Hopefully so is Newen,Neuiwen, this guy's gm career.

bhetz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:25 PM
  #27
Soth
Registered User
 
Soth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
Raycroft was very well liked in Vancouver - he even had the crowd chanting "Raycroft" during one game. I think he has really improved his game, and may end up as the starter for Dallas

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=794614

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:36 PM
  #28
Dave Karp
Registered User
 
Dave Karp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,697
vCash: 940
I really like Raycroft. He was great in the CHL with the Frontenacs so I have a large biased towards him. He gets crapped on a lot, especially by Leaf fans but they aren't the easiest fans to please. He's likely not a true number 1 in this league but I have no problem him playing stretches of games. But I felt the same with Auld.. our defence just needs to be better for any goalie to succeed here, IMO.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:02 AM
  #29
Cleets
Registered User
 
Cleets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Frisco, TX
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
Raycroft was very well liked in Vancouver - he even had the crowd chanting "Raycroft" during one game. I think he has really improved his game, and may end up as the starter for Dallas

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=794614
That's what Toronto and Colorado thought.
...and if he was so well liked, why wouldn't Vancouver keep him for the price he went for?

Cleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:30 AM
  #30
Soth
Registered User
 
Soth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleets View Post
That's what Toronto and Colorado thought.
...and if he was so well liked, why wouldn't Vancouver keep him for the price he went for?
We would have kept him if we didnt have Schneider in the system ready for his shot

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 03:13 PM
  #31
Stevonidas
Wanna go pretty boy?
 
Stevonidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Lone Star State
Country: United States
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Wow, Nieuwy really wants that #1 overall pick, doesn't he?

Stevonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 03:41 PM
  #32
________
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,630
vCash: 83
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevonidas View Post
Wow, Nieuwy really wants that #1 overall pick, doesn't he?
No, if he wanted the #1 pick he would've re-signed Turco.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:00 PM
  #33
Stevonidas
Wanna go pretty boy?
 
Stevonidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Lone Star State
Country: United States
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
If he wanted to win more than 25 games/bring fans to the games/possibly make the playoffs he would've re-signed Turco.
I agree.

Stevonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:42 PM
  #34
BigG44
HFB Partner
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevonidas View Post
I agree.
LOL .....

Is that why he's still available today? I guess 29 other GMs are dumb as Joe, huh?

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:49 PM
  #35
Caseman
Registered User
 
Caseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,805
vCash: 500
Looking at those standings, Nieuwy did pretty well bringing in (at least) a top-20 goaltender for a 4th and a prospect that has since been traded again and probably won't be more than a bottom-pairing defenseman.

Despite the payroll, the Stars aren't horrible. If they can figure this whole score-in-a-shootout thing, we could backdoor our way into the playoffs.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:54 PM
  #36
Stevonidas
Wanna go pretty boy?
 
Stevonidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Lone Star State
Country: United States
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
LOL .....

Is that why he's still available today? I guess 29 other GMs are dumb as Joe, huh?
Pray tell, who is going to be this team's goaltender once Lehtonen goes down with his annual injury? Hmmm?

Since you obviously don't follow the FA market, a lot of teams don't need goaltending, and the ones who do don't have a lot of money to spend, so the fact that Turco is still available after a whopping FIVE DAYS says more about the current reluctance of teams to spend like drunken sailors than about Turco's ability.

Stevonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:04 AM
  #37
Alistar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Azores
Posts: 8,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Looking at those standings, Nieuwy did pretty well bringing in (at least) a top-20 goaltender for a 4th and a prospect that has since been traded again and probably won't be more than a bottom-pairing defenseman.

Despite the payroll, the Stars aren't horrible. If they can figure this whole score-in-a-shootout thing, we could backdoor our way into the playoffs.
you're setting yourself up for dissapointment

I get a good chuckle from reading the standings predictions thread in the main forums, the Stars are the most commenly picked team to finish last in the west.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:07 AM
  #38
BigG44
HFB Partner
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevonidas View Post
Pray tell, who is going to be this team's goaltender once Lehtonen goes down with his annual injury? Hmmm?

Since you obviously don't follow the FA market, a lot of teams don't need goaltending, and the ones who do don't have a lot of money to spend, so the fact that Turco is still available after a whopping FIVE DAYS says more about the current reluctance of teams to spend like drunken sailors than about Turco's ability.
20 teams have more than $5 million in cap space.

Everyone always needs goaltending unless you're lucky enough to have a Top goalie in the league. 29 teams had an opportunity to decided whether Turco was better than what they have.

San Jose thinks Antero Niittymaki and Thomas Greiss are better for their team.

Tampa Bay: Dan Ellis and Mike Smith
Ottawa Pascal Leclaire and Brian Elliott
Edmonton: Nikolai Khabibulin and ?????

All but 1 team remains interested after considering their options.

Sometimes there's no need to blame the world when the reality is Marty Turco hasn't proven himself as a capable starting goaltender for 2 straight seasons. If Turco was a Top 30 goalie in the league, he would have already been signed.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:12 AM
  #39
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
I get a good chuckle from reading the standings predictions thread in the main forums, the Stars are the most commenly picked team to finish last in the west.
That's because they're old and slow, relying on organizational stalwarts Modano, Zubov and Lehtinen.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:21 AM
  #40
Alistar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Azores
Posts: 8,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
That's because they're old and slow, relying on organizational stalwarts Modano, Zubov and Lehtinen.
also too defensive and won't score goals.

but yeah, the team will be exactly the same as last year, there's an 80-90% chance they'll get exactly the same result as last time.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.