HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs Sticking with "The Plan"

Old
07-02-2010, 01:51 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
The Colorado Avalanche management was created by man.

They rebelled.

They evolved.

They look and feel human.

Some are programmed to believe they are human.

There are many copies.

And they have The Plan.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:01 AM
the_fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
The Colorado Avalanche management was created by man.

They rebelled.

They evolved.

They look and feel human.

Some are programmed to believe they are human.

There are many copies.

And they have The Plan.
Yup, the plan is, stay mediocre, miss the playoffs, break the record for most coaches fired

Oh hell, at least the GM is happy because the team is young, sadly there is no award for a youngest team

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:06 AM
StanGetz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Yup, the plan is, stay mediocre, miss the playoffs, break the record for most coaches fired

Oh hell, at least the GM is happy because the team is young, sadly there is no award for a youngest team
I shall call you Bob Loblaw!

It's really going to be annoying if we really do suck for the next few years because all I've done for the last 13+ months is support this young movement thing. I'm going to have to eat a lot of crow.

StanGetz doesn't like crow.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:10 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGetz View Post
He should start some sort of law blog

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:13 AM
StanGetz*

Quote:
Why should you go to jail for a crime somebody else noticed?

Old
07-02-2010, 02:56 AM
Fluke

Quote:
Don't worry, they can't arrest a husband and wife for the same crime.

Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:33 AM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArrow19 View Post
“I feel very comfortable about our ‘D’ core,” said Sherman. “We certainly believe our depth on the blue line is very strong and we look to have a competitive camp in September on the back end with a couple of spots that could be competed for.”

Sherman is an idiot

Old
07-02-2010, 07:38 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Sherman is an idiot

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:44 AM
the_fan

Quote:

It's really going to be annoying if we really do suck for the next few years because all I've done for the last 13+ months is support this young movement thing. I'm going to have to eat a lot of crow.

StanGetz doesn't like crow.
You know what else you are going to do like most people on this board?

You are going to post in a GD thread and be pissed about how the avs got outshot 1000000 to 15 almost every game, or how they blew leads and lost games.

Unfortunately i don't think this time Anderson is going to be able to carry them into the playoffs, so everyone will post in a early offseason plans thread with some pissed off comments all over.

I for one am smart for not getting my hopes up then being crashed later. This team is in fact going to suck next year, lets just hope it wont be for a decade.

Old
07-02-2010, 08:36 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:

You are going to post in a GD thread and be pissed about how the avs got outshot 1000000 to 15 almost every game, or how they blew leads and lost games.

Unfortunately i don't think this time Anderson is going to be able to carry them into the playoffs, so everyone will post in a early offseason plans thread with some pissed off comments all over.

I for one am smart for not getting my hopes up then being crashed later. This team is in fact going to suck next year, lets just hope it wont be for a decade.
4 year rebuild.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:50 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Sherman is an idiot
Since the end of last season, what would you have liked to see Sherman do? Specifically.

Thx,

-AB

Old
07-02-2010, 10:09 AM
chet1926

My only comment regarding the "rebuild" is ask the Colorado Rockies (baseball team) how the build from within has worked over the past 10-12 years. They've been doing the whole build from within don't trade assets only let our draftees take up spots. Yes there have been a couple good teams like 2007 and 2009, but for the most part they have been stuck in neutral, not terrible but not good enough. They will never be able to compete with the big boys.

I fear the Avs are going to get stuck on the same path, continually stay mediocre, good enough to sneak into the playoffs but not good enough to make a good run in the playoffs.

I'm glad that we aren't going out and trying to buy the Cup and letting the youngsters play positions, but that doesn't preclude us from at least exploring some affordable options or getting rid of dead weight players to us (not necessarily to other team Ie: Liles) via trade to open some spots on the roster for the "youngsters" like Shattenkirk, Stoa, and Holos

From the looks of it moneybags Kroneke has told management they are not to spend more than the Cap floor. And as a fan that sucks, it shows me that they aren't concerned with winning anymore, they are more concerned about bottom line numbers. And the worst part is management feels they can tell us fans that they are sticking to the the "Plan" and they think that is sufficient enough explanation to why they are willing to make any additions or at least do something to make us know they are alive. **** for all I know they were probably on the golf course taking the day off cause they knew they weren't going to do anything.

You know its bad when you don't even bring back a solid 3rd, 4th line player like Hendricks (who was awesome last year) because he is demanding to much money. I would have no problem paying Hendricks 1.5 per for 3 years which is probably in the ballpark of what he was asking for. They have to go out and find a cheaper replacement to bring in instead (Winnik).

Bottom line to me is Kroenke has stopped caring about the Avs and Nuggets to a lesser extent. He doesn't care how they do he just wants to make money off of them, and thinks he can get away with it by saying were sticking to the "plan". What a joke. Do you want to know what the "plan" is... its let continue to field the most inexpensive team possible so I can make money" thats the "plan".

Let me clarify I'm not ranting that we didn't sign Kovy or any of the big name free agents, I knew we weren't going to go after them, I'm ranting because I think as fans we deserve at least an effort to improve the fielded team from last season. And yesterday there was little to no effort put forth to make the team better for next season.

Am I saying that our team is going to suck next year...NO. Am I saying were destined to fail...NO. All I'm saying was that the past week or so has been a complete slap in the face to the fans, by not putting forth any effort to possible make the team better via trades or free agency.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:14 AM
hockeyfish

vCash: 50
I must say, the buyout of Preissing was a brilliant move. I mean, getting to the cap floor without adding a player, that is an awesome move.

hockeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:22 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Since the end of last season, what would you have liked to see Sherman do? Specifically.

Thx,

-AB
Maybe make a play for Ray Whitney, he signed a relatively low contract, and he has shown that he plays well with Duchene.

Old
07-02-2010, 10:32 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Maybe make a play for Ray Whitney, he signed a relatively low contract, and he has shown that he plays well with Duchene.
Wouldn't that be a move sideways? Whitney is a 38 year old 20-25 goal guy. Why do that, when the Avs have Jones and Mueller sitting right there as 2nd line guys who could very well produce at the same level? For much less money?

I don't see that as improving the team very much at all. A little, best case. So, the Avs should go spend $3M to improve the team just a little?

I'm not in support of that.

So, not signing Ray Whitney (which to me represents a very minor improvement at best) is "a slap in the face to Avs fans"?

-AB

Old
07-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Wouldn't that be a move sideways? Whitney is a 38 year old 20-25 goal guy. Why do that, when the Avs have Jones and Mueller sitting right there as 2nd line guys who could very well produce at the same level? For much less money?

I don't see that as improving the team very much at all. A little, best case. So, the Avs should go spend $3M to improve the team just a little?

So, not signing Ray Whitney (which to me represents a very minor improvement at best) is "a slap in the face to Avs fans"?

-AB
AB, these guys are not susceptible to logic. You're gonna have to change up the gameplan a bit.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:13 AM
anleva

Overall I'm OK with a plan of building through the draft, a youth movement, building up solid prospects in the pipeline, the scouting and a developmental program. That sounds good if that is what is happening.

Unfortunately in this case I'm pessimistic that "sticking with the plan" is just the shiny public veneer on what is really just an austerity program. I'm sorry to say that I have lost confidence in ownership and the front office. Hope I'm wrong.

anleva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:13 AM
jaisen73

I think the Avs are fine at forward, at least heading into this season. If this is Hejduk's last year then that is something they'll likely need to address next summer as I don't see a lot of offensive punch working up through the AHL or juniors (not yet, anyway).

But there is a legit argument to be made that the Avs could use an defensive upgrade, either via trade or free agency. Yes, they currently have 6 NHL experienced defensemen (Foote, Hannan, Quincey, Liles, Cumiskey, and Wilson) but adding a Top 4 guy either long term or short term would still fit "The Plan". Foote and Hannan come off the books next summer, Liles 1 year after that, and while Quincey and Wilson may have their best days ahead of them we have seen enough of Cumiskey to make most say, "He's an NHL level player but not a Top 4 guy."

People talked of signing someone and then moving Liles... as though it would be easy. It would actually have been easier to try and sign a Martin or Michalek and then move Cumiskey to a team with a need but with limited cap space, as he is a cheap but good enough pickup.

All that said, given the weak crop of UFAs and the general overspending we saw July 1 I think staying out of the fray is a better approach then just signing people for the sake of signing someone.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
I'm ready to see what our D prospects can do, BUT...

...I would be in favor of picking up a young Dman along the lines of Hjalmarson if one became available. Gotta be a young guy, though, that would grow with the team, not a vet that would be here until we are actually ready to compete for the Cup, then bolt when we need him most.

Know what I mean?

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Seaward*

Quote:
Oh thats right, Bob Loblaws law blog, you sir are a mouthful.

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Seaward*

Quote:
AHHHHHHHHHHH

Gene Parmasean

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:48 AM
chet1926

Quote:

-AB
Adding Whitney isn't sideways, it would give us another player who can give you 20-25 goals. Plus he is reliable, unlike Jones who has yet to have a complete season.

Old
07-02-2010, 11:48 AM
the_fan

Quote:

Thx,

-AB
1.Not resign Foote, as much as i like Foote and he's one of my favorite avs players from old days, he's 40 years old and i don't see him doing any better next year, and last year showed that he's just non factor anymore. In fact i don't even remember how many turn overs Foote had that led to goals, but it was quite few of them. Yeah, he's the captain, he could be good for the avs young Dmen to learn from him and all that, but we are not talking about coaching here, we are talking about a guy who will probably log big minutes again at that age, because i doubt any of the young avs prospects who make the team next year is going to play huge minutes on the blue line.

2. Not resign a useless player like Koci who doesn't do anything for the team.

3. Most importantly bring in some much needed help on that below average defense, there are few FA Dmen available out there who would be big help for the avs.

But it's useless, they are sticking to keep within the organization thing, and i'm not sure what are they trying to prove, all i can say it will be a year with half empty Pepsi Center again, and most likely no playoffs.

Old
07-02-2010, 11:54 AM
StanGetz*

Quote:

Honestly buddy that's really not my flavor. I won't do that. I will feel like an idiot though if we really do regress.

Old
07-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Honestly buddy that's really not my flavor. I won't do that. I will feel like an idiot though if we really do regress.
Oh I won't. I know that we, in all likelihood, will not reproduce the type of season we had last season. I will not be surprised at all if we do not make the playoffs unless some other teams really screw the pooch next season.

But I'm completely fine with it. It's a "rebuild" not a "scrap all the big contracts and stay at the cap floor for a while but still make the playoffs every year."

Next year the defense will again **** the bed, of that I am sure. And that's completely fine. The point of a rebuild is to see what holes you have, and fill them as necessary. Next year the defense will be exposed and Sherman will fill the holes. Then the rebuild will continue.

It's all good guys, this is how a good franchise is built.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote