HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagne really could be the one to go

Old
07-01-2010, 08:32 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I'm not quite sure why you want to trade away one of the 3 or so players on your team that actually has a pair of balls to put in his cup? Gutless team, those Bruins.
Truth. Perhaps Recchi.

GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah...pretty atrocious, nice way to treat a career Flyer who has shown nothing but loyalty to the organization.
Exactly. The guy has spilled his guts for this organization, given everything to this organization. This will rank right up there with trading Brind'Amour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Ironically, it would rival a trade of a man he replaced...Rod Brind'Amour. No one wanted to see Brind'Amour go and not many really wanted to root for Primeau considering his previous playoff record and the fact he was holding out with Carolina. When you listen to Steve Levy's clip of the 5OT winner, there are a lot of reasons why he calls Primeau "maligned." People knew the wrong guy was traded.

Exactly. They traded the wrong player. But because Snider had a hardon for Eric Lindros he forced Clarke to deal Rod Brind'Amour instead. Of course years later Lindros screwed the orgination over and he was traded anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpster31 View Post
gagne is a shell of his younger self...id move him for young talent in a second. he wasnt going to get another contract here anyways

do people forget how often this guy gets hurt????? and hes a year older so the injury bug doesnt get better with age
Do you forget what he did for this organization? he can still play the game. Were you paying attention to what he did in the playoffs? you think we advance to the Cup final without him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I understand why Jody Shelley is the whipping boy, but if Carcillo wants a raise, wouldn't you rather have Shelley for $1M?
No Carcillo can still bring something to the ice when he keeps his head on straight. Jody Shelley sucks. What do we have him for? How many games is he going to play? stupid, stupid contract.

I didnt think my hatred for Holmgren could get any worse. but if he trades Gagne? I will never forgive him for it. trade the guy who has meant more to this organization then anyone in the last dozen years. why? because of Holmgren's ****ing incompetence

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I honestly can't think of a comparable trade in Philadelphia history, or maybe any sports history? It would seriously break my heart and I never feel sympathy for athletes. I have been bred in a city where Simon Gagne is an integral part of our team and I hoped to see him retire as a Flyer with #12 retired
I hated seeing Doug Favell go. He was one of my favorites. But Bernie changed my mind.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpster31 View Post
gagne is a shell of his younger self...id move him for young talent in a second. he wasnt going to get another contract here anyways

do people forget how often this guy gets hurt????? and hes a year older so the injury bug doesnt get better with age
I do not want to see him go. But if someone pays out the butt for him then we have to do it.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
I understand why Jody Shelley is the whipping boy, but if Carcillo wants a raise, wouldn't you rather have Shelley for $1M?
Absolutely. Carbomb can go and it sure as hell won't break my heart.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Yo everybody shut the **** up. Good freaking god. It hasn't happened yet. Once it goes down then you can post about it all you want.
Well said.

Old
07-01-2010, 08:39 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
If next offseason you could get the same deal from the Leafs as they sent to Boston for Kessel, would you do it?
A top 5 pick, a top 10 pick, and a 30-35 pick?

Hmm.

It'd be tempting. It'd depend on how well vanRiemsdyk has progress, but I don't think I'd do it unless I pretty much knew we were getting a top 2 pick. We're not a position where we're forced to deal Carter for futures. Everyone looks at how well it turned out for Boston, but in reality, it could've completely screwed them. Hell, if they had gotten anything from 6-10 this year with that pick, I don't think it would've made up for the loss of Kessel. I doubt Toronto will be worse next year, so next year's first will be later too. That 2nd round is alright.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Absolutely. Carbomb can go and it sure as hell won't break my heart.
It's a significant downgrade of the 4th line, with an increase in pay. Shelley is ****ing terrible. Carcillo can play.

We still have to re-sign Powe, officially, as well. Shelley becomes the most overpaid 13th forward in the history of hockey...not to mention Cote is still on a one way deal for one more season. Nothing about Shelley makes sense even if Carcillo gets moved.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'd take Nodl at .850, Kalinski at .875, Testwuide at .900, Legein at .816, Holmstrom at .750, and others over Jody ****ing Shelly at 1.1.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Regardless of what happens its a guarantee Gagne is gone. Either by trade or he will be walking next year when his contract is up. Just look at our current cap situation.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:42 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

If this goes through, I will have a really hard time cheering for the Flyers next year. What the **** is wrong with this organization? Simon Gagne does not deserve to be a god damn salary dump. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm praying that I get back from my job tomorrow and none of this nonsense happens.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

https://twitter.com/DougMaclean

There has to be some legs to this rumor I would imagine with so many reporting it.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I do not want to see him go. But if someone pays out the butt for him then we have to do it.
Even with out them knowing our situation, no GM s going to pay out the butt for a 30 year old winger with one year left. They might pay a fair price, but Simon isn't the type of guy that gets payed out the ass for.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:43 PM
aghockey86

i cannot tell you how unbearably painful it would be to see simon in another NHL jersey, he's always been my favorite player since i was old enough to comprehend hockey, he's the only player's jerseys i've ever had, and i wanted to see him play his whole career as a flyer. I'm not sure i can describe how pissed off i will be if this happens.

aghockey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
It's a significant downgrade of the 4th line, with an increase in pay. Shelley is ****ing terrible. Carcillo can play.

We still have to re-sign Powe, officially, as well. Shelley becomes the most overpaid 13th forward in the history of hockey...not to mention Cote is still on a one way deal for one more season. Nothing about Shelley makes sense even if Carcillo gets moved.
Going from having a 4th line that rivaled the best in the league and could play 8-10 minutes a night without embarrassing themselves to having a typical ******** 4th line barely capable of scraping a shift together is going to bite this team in the ass. What a ****ing disgrace of a GM we have.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post

Wow the most overpaid 13th forward in the history of hockey. Thanks for the information.
PS Does that pertain just to the NHL or to all professional hockey leagues in the world?

Old
07-01-2010, 08:48 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Going from having a 4th line that rivaled the best in the league and could play 8-10 minutes a night without embarrassing themselves to having a typical ******** 4th line barely capable of scraping a shift together is going to bite this team in the ass. What a ****ing disgrace of a GM we have.
Absolutely....Other than goaltending, the reason Chicago beat us was their forward depth....Their 3rd and 4th lines outplayed ours by a large margin

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:55 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Why cant we just trade carter for ryan. It makes too much sense.

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:56 PM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Carter is more important to this team than any goalie we could move him for including free agent goalies we could acquire with his cap space (unless we are talking about Vokoun, Miller, Lundqvist, Luongo, or Brodeur).

The difference is, we could get a king's ransom for Carter.

The only players with big money who are less important to this team than roughly any goalie we could acquire are Hartnell and Carle. Briere's name might get thrown into that hat cautiously only because his contract could be a big issue later.
Isnt a goalie important as well???

I just dont get the mentality that some people have on these boards. If it were easy to fill the holes that we need to fill up, then why cant we? I just think if youre going to take, you gotta give.

All the more better if you can take without giving, though, I just dont see us in that situation.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:02 PM
ChrisM

Send a message via MSN to ChrisM
Not sure how credible this guy is, seems new to Twitter.. called Volchenkov to NJ a few days ago though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Loom
Gagne will NOT be going anywhere, unless they can't move a contract at all.
http://twitter.com/NHLLoom

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:10 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
Isnt a goalie important as well???
To a certain extent, yes. To this extent, no.

Quote:
I just dont get the mentality that some people have on these boards. If it were easy to fill the holes that we need to fill up, then why cant we? I just think if youre going to take, you gotta give.
Because Holmgren believes exactly what I believe; that most goaltending is dime-a-dozen and that you can make a more effective competitive team but not relying on one. Stronger teams are stronger because they have better depth. In turn, this takes a lot of pressure of a goaltender making his job easier and making your team better in general.

Quote:
All the more better if you can take without giving, though, I just dont see us in that situation.
Well, we should've signed a legitimate goalie on the market. We wouldn't have had to give up anything.

Then again, that's another battle for another time.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Jumping

NHLLOOM
June 30
Coburn not likely to sign
July 1
Coburn signs

From a famous Twitter by George Patton
Do not take counsel of your own fears.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Flyersguru

Gagne is clearly on the declined, sell high now, re-sign him cheap next offseason.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:21 PM
sg12lw

Quote:

Because Holmgren believes exactly what I believe; that most goaltending is dime-a-dozen and that you can make a more effective competitive team but not relying on one. Stronger teams are stronger because they have better depth. In turn, this takes a lot of pressure of a goaltender making his job easier and making your team better in general.

Well, we should've signed a legitimate goalie on the market. We wouldn't have had to give up anything.

also, the teams with "legitimate number ones" all lost in the playoffs this year, and for a lot of them, they've always lost in the playoffs...you need to have a perfect blend, and knowing who your goalie is and building around him is important. im guessing homer said were going with leighton, so lets bulk up on defense...we'll see how it works out

a great goalie can steal you a series or two, but usually if your team is not good enough, you dont win....look at halak this year, and guys like giguere and hexy in the past...the magic will eventually run out

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:22 PM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:

I am not sure if he believes that goaltending is dime-a-dozen when he made moves to talk to Nabakov and Turco pre free agency day. He did realize we do need some sort of upgrade, was just maybe not willing to pay too much.

I am not at all disappointed in the offseason moves, except for the Shelley signing. Just dont see his use. I am waiting to see how the season pans out though to see if they were good moves or not.

Does Nabakov make us have a better team though? Like you said, having a good team around the goalie lessons his burdens, but it also helps a team when the goalie can make a couple stops. It also helps a team when a goalie can steal games for them, cause everyone knows on some nights the team just doesnt have it. I dont think Leighton has game stealing abilities. We do have a logjam at center, and Carter is the most easy piece to move. Just making a suggestion

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote