HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren has sent this organization spiraling downward

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2010, 01:34 PM
  #126
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dank View Post
I disagree with the first part, Leighton was fine, Boucher was fine.
Leighton isn't an NHL starter. So that's not fine. Boucher is fine as a backup...if he's backing up an actual NHL starter. Which he isn't.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:39 PM
  #127
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dank View Post
I disagree with the first part, Leighton was fine, Boucher was fine.
I am not as concerned with the goaltending as I am with the Cap. I don't want Holmgren to make changes because he is forced to, I want him to make trades because they help the team. I don't want Carter or Gagne traded just because they would free up cap space. I only want them trade dif there is an opportunity to make the team better.

I see many people especially in the media suggesting that the Flyers jettison Gagne or Carter to free up cap space as if neither of the two players is an important part of the team. I think that is foolishness.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:41 PM
  #128
Danko
...the way she goes
 
Danko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Leighton isn't an NHL starter. So that's not fine. Boucher is fine as a backup...if he's backing up an actual NHL starter. Which he isn't.
Leighton and Bouch started well enough to get us to Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals didn't they?

Team Defense has dramatically improved, there is no reason they cannot start again. Hockey is a team sport.

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:43 PM
  #129
Danko
...the way she goes
 
Danko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I am not as concerned with the goaltending as I am with the Cap. I don't want Holmgren to make changes because he is forced to, I want him to make trades because they help the team. I don't want Carter or Gagne traded just because they would free up cap space. I only want them trade dif there is an opportunity to make the team better.

I see many people especially in the media suggesting that the Flyers jettison Gagne or Carter to free up cap space as if neither of the two players is an important part of the team. I think that is foolishness.
I just don't understand why everyone is so concerned, we have a full year to get through it and likely some of the players you see now wont be here by the end of the year. I seriously think people shouldn't get so hyped up about something that is always going to change.

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:47 PM
  #130
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Got to love posters like this. Sure Leighton was not so good in 1st game. Sure he was not so good in 2nd game but neither was the team. Guess what, team was good in 1st game and was very good in 2nd game but Neime stole 2nd game. Hands down ourplayed Leighton.

Hawks D was no joke. Very deep, very mobile and very good. We had our chance and we ****ed it up.
That's revisionist history.
Leighton gave up the bad goal to eager, but the FLyers didn't start playing until the 3rd. They were not good. And niemi didn't have to make any tough saves until the 3rd. The only reason they were in it was because of leighton.

Same with game 5, Leighton was on his head the whole first period before he finally broke down.

coulda been 5 nothing early if not for him.
again, team in front of him didn't show up.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:51 PM
  #131
Tommy D
Registered User
 
Tommy D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island NY
Country: United States
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Just shut the **** up already. Its 2010 and our team just made it to game 6 of the SCF. Nobody cares about 2013 because by that time, most of the team will be different.


Seriously, our team will be screwed in 2026 because JVR and Giroux will be getting ready to retire!

JUST STOP.


EDIT: And spiraling downward? Are you kidding me right now? Were a legitimate Stanley Cup contender right now...there is no "downward" as of right now, moron.
+1

1/2 the people who make posts like this are un-informed

the other 1/2 are down right dumb

I suppose <like most here on HFBoards> the haters have sat down and spoken with the players agents and know the skinny right?

Oh sure just "go out and get us a stud goalie" and don't spend more then $9.99 for him.. on and "Homers a jerk because he forgot to use double coupons".. sheesh!

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:54 PM
  #132
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
That's revisionist history.
Leighton gave up the bad goal to eager, but the FLyers didn't start playing until the 3rd. They were not good. And niemi didn't have to make any tough saves until the 3rd. The only reason they were in it was because of leighton.

Same with game 5, Leighton was on his head the whole first period before he finally broke down.

coulda been 5 nothing early if not for him.
again, team in front of him didn't show up.



How deflated were you after the ot winner? I like Leighton on here more than most posters but it'd be downright dumb to go into a season with Cup aspirations with him as your starter. He's just not consistent enough and I'm not so sure he's going to play as well this year.

Could I be wrong...absolutely. I like him as a back up who has proven he could start or even split regular season duties and keep a good vet like Turco or Nabby fresh. He's better than Boosh and Biron IMO but we weren't winning a Cup with those two either.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:56 PM
  #133
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
+1

1/2 the people who make posts like this are un-informed

the other 1/2 are down right dumb

I suppose <like most here on HFBoards> the haters have sat down and spoken with the players agents and know the skinny right?

Oh sure just "go out and get us a stud goalie" and don't spend more then $9.99 for him.. on and "Homers a jerk because he forgot to use double coupons".. sheesh!
Wow, just wow. You are really an idiot. The remarks about the goalie situation are particularly ********. Half the goalies we should have been looking at were signed for the same or less than Leighton. For ****'s sake. Take off the rose colored glasses.

And if you don't think that asset management and fiscal responsibility are just as important as judging talent in the new NHL then you just aren't a very good hockey fan.

If blind loyalty is your thing, that's fine but how about letting the adults talk for awhile?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:58 PM
  #134
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dank View Post
I just don't understand why everyone is so concerned, we have a full year to get through it and likely some of the players you see now wont be here by the end of the year. I seriously think people shouldn't get so hyped up about something that is always going to change.



We've had many years to get through it Kevin. The disheartening thing is that fans, writers and analysts get it and the Flyers don't seem to. I wonder what people would be saying if Boosh didn't get that final day shoot out win to start our run. He was the most surprised guy in the building I'll bet.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 04:00 PM
  #135
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
That's revisionist history.
Leighton gave up the bad goal to eager, but the FLyers didn't start playing until the 3rd. They were not good. And niemi didn't have to make any tough saves until the 3rd. The only reason they were in it was because of leighton.

Same with game 5, Leighton was on his head the whole first period before he finally broke down.

coulda been 5 nothing early if not for him.
again, team in front of him didn't show up.
He gave up a bad goal to Eager, than he gave up same kind of goal to Sharp. The his 5 hole was kind of big on Kanes goal

You want to blame RIchards, Gagne, Carter? Go right ahead. it won't change anything. It was the most pathetic goal in SC hisotry..

No, I am lying the most pahtetic goal in SC hisotry was when Edm Oilers player scored a goal in his own net. Guess whan hahppen netx year?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 04:37 PM
  #136
Tommy D
Registered User
 
Tommy D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island NY
Country: United States
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Wow, just wow. You are really an idiot.
Pot meet Kettle

So whats your NHL GM experience? You work with the NHL for a couple of seasons?? Perhaps a Minor league team?

Yes it's all really simple <cap> math. Our GMs <all> have been boobs. If only a member of this board ran the team!

I got a weeks pay says you can't even skate!

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 04:43 PM
  #137
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Pot meet Kettle

So whats your NHL GM experience? You work with the NHL for a couple of seasons?? Perhaps a Minor league team?

Yes it's all really simple <cap> math. Our GMs <all> have been boobs. If only a member of this board ran the team!

I got a weeks pay says you can't even skate!
There are many people on this board that could do a better job with the resources that he has. The NHL is the only professional sport left that leaves the GM position open for former players. We are seeing the reason for that.

I know some morons but none of them would have, for example, been stupid enough to put Jones on recall waivers.

This putting of GMs on pedestals is so ****ing silly. Have some damn pride in yourself. Why grovel at the feet of Homer? He's just a ****ing normal guy who, obviously, isn't perfect.

And it isn't like the best posters on this board don't have a pretty stellar track record when it comes to pointing this **** out. And, as I've said before, it's not like people are relying on 20/20 hindsight to point out mistakes. This **** is so easy to predict that it borders on the comical.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 05:06 PM
  #138
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 49,514
vCash: 500
list of **** philly needed going into the offseason:

--a 5th defenseman
--GOALIE. GOALIE. ANY MOTHER****ING STARTING GOALIE. GOAAAAALLIEEEEE GOALIE GOALIE. NETMINDER.


list of **** philly absolutely does not need:

--any more centers (thank god he didn't pursue and overpay one)
--Cote 2.0 for 1.1 million ****ing dollars and three years.

there isnt a subtle art to the shelley signing, some vagueries only understandable by a great and venerable GM. nor was there any reason to overpay leighton or coburn. we still dont have a goalie, and have little funds to get one without dumping salary, thanks to the ****ing shelley signing.

homer has shat the bed. is this so hard to get? even if he gets turco for cheap, it doesn't undo the cap hits he's burdened this team with, when we need to be resigning players like JVR and giroux soon.

that 1.1 million is going to be worse for us than the jones contract, i can just feel it. i dont get how anyone can defend holmgren this offseason. if he doesnt get a goalie, then he needs to be fired immediately.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 05:15 PM
  #139
Tommy D
Registered User
 
Tommy D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island NY
Country: United States
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post

This putting of GMs on pedestals is so ****ing silly. Have some damn pride in yourself. Why grovel at the feet of Homer? He's just a ****ing normal guy who, obviously, isn't perfect.
Dropping the F-Bomb works wonders in contract negotiations I'm sure. No doubt I bet your onto something.

Let's try it out.

"Hey Mikey... How about 3.1 cool ****ing million for say the next couple of "Red Light" seasons??

ML: ****ing A-Right Ill take it!

Wow... look it really works! He never even tried to chew me down! Let's try it again. Send in Shelley

"Hey Jody what say you sign for the ****ing Flyers for (interrupted by JS)

JS: "Ill ****ing take it"

PH: I didn't give you a ****ing figure?

JS: Doesn't ****ing matter... I know you Paul and your going to pay me way too ****ing much. So like I said Ill take it!



It's one thing to say "Homer is going to take this team once again into the season without say a starting netminder... a crappy D core.. or whatever. But what say we hold comments like "sent this organization spiraling downward" till at least the start of the season. My god man it's only July and we were 2 wins from a Cup!

No wonder were called "Cryers" Fans.

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 05:58 PM
  #140
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Dropping the F-Bomb works wonders in contract negotiations I'm sure. No doubt I bet your onto something.

Let's try it out.

"Hey Mikey... How about 3.1 cool ****ing million for say the next couple of "Red Light" seasons??

ML: ****ing A-Right Ill take it!

Wow... look it really works! He never even tried to chew me down! Let's try it again. Send in Shelley

"Hey Jody what say you sign for the ****ing Flyers for (interrupted by JS)

JS: "Ill ****ing take it"

PH: I didn't give you a ****ing figure?

JS: Doesn't ****ing matter... I know you Paul and your going to pay me way too ****ing much. So like I said Ill take it!



It's one thing to say "Homer is going to take this team once again into the season without say a starting netminder... a crappy D core.. or whatever. But what say we hold comments like "sent this organization spiraling downward" till at least the start of the season. My god man it's only July and we were 2 wins from a Cup!

No wonder were called "Cryers" Fans.
We were also one shoot-out away from missing the playoffs. And that's a far larger sample size.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 06:54 PM
  #141
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Dude, there was NO ****ING NEED to be in this situation. He put himself there. We're looking at trading Gagne because HE ****ed up and signed ****** players for no reason.

His entire tenure as GM has been about damage control that he caused.
This is exactly my problem. He keeps overpaying guys or bringing in players like Shelly who we have no use for. Why not just keep Carcillo who can fight and score? If Shelly is a replacement for Cote, a guy who was benched most of the season, why even bother? He just doesn't seem to get the whole cap thing.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 06:56 PM
  #142
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Dropping the F-Bomb works wonders in contract negotiations I'm sure. No doubt I bet your onto something.

Let's try it out.

"Hey Mikey... How about 3.1 cool ****ing million for say the next couple of "Red Light" seasons??

ML: ****ing A-Right Ill take it!

Wow... look it really works! He never even tried to chew me down! Let's try it again. Send in Shelley

"Hey Jody what say you sign for the ****ing Flyers for (interrupted by JS)

JS: "Ill ****ing take it"

PH: I didn't give you a ****ing figure?

JS: Doesn't ****ing matter... I know you Paul and your going to pay me way too ****ing much. So like I said Ill take it!



It's one thing to say "Homer is going to take this team once again into the season without say a starting netminder... a crappy D core.. or whatever. But what say we hold comments like "sent this organization spiraling downward" till at least the start of the season. My god man it's only July and we were 2 wins from a Cup!

No wonder were called "Cryers" Fans.
I never truly understood why people called us that until this off season

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 06:58 PM
  #143
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
This is exactly my problem. He keeps overpaying guys or bringing in players like Shelly who we have no use for. Why not just keep Carcillo who can fight and score? If Shelly is a replacement for Cote, a guy who was benched most of the season, why even bother? He just doesn't seem to get the whole cap thing.
I'm hoping Carcillo will still be back. But he shouldn't fight the fighters that Cote/Shelley fights. Carcillo is an agitator. That is different than an enforcer.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:28 PM
  #144
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,190
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
You nay-sayers want to take anything back? He's about to trade Gagne, arguably the most popular player on the team, a Flyer from the start, our longest tenured player, a class act all the way, and a guy that loves the area, to sign Turco because he ****ed up on July 1st by signing Shelley, Leighton, and trading for Meszaros. Those moves aren't completely independent, their residual effects are going to be felt, and this is the first repercussion.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:31 PM
  #145
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,594
vCash: 500
bullocks

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:31 PM
  #146
Centauris*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
You nay-sayers want to take anything back? He's about to trade Gagne, arguably the most popular player on the team, a Flyer from the start, our longest tenured player, a class act all the way, and a guy that loves the area, to sign Turco because he ****ed up on July 1st by signing Shelley, Leighton, and trading for Meszaros. Those moves aren't completely independent, their residual effects are going to be felt, and this is the first repercussion.

i heavily agree with you

Centauris* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:32 PM
  #147
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalltalk10 View Post
i heavily agree with you
as do I

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:46 PM
  #148
SnS
Mod Supervisor
 
SnS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,641
vCash: 500
Shelley > Carcillo, IMO.

Mesarzos > Carle, IMO.

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/SnS-Sig.gif

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:49 PM
  #149
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Shelley > Carcillo, IMO.

Mesarzos > Carle, IMO.

Please explain.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:50 PM
  #150
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Shelley > Carcillo, IMO.

Mesarzos > Carle, IMO.

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.