HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren has sent this organization spiraling downward

Old
07-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Valhoun*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
So if we sign Turco, and have our top 6, but trade gagne (who a lot of people have been clammoring to put up as trade bait due to age/contract), everyone will still be super pissed?

Goalie - Check
Capable backup - Check
Improved D with better 3rd pairing, check.
Not trading Carter (who is more valuable to the team then gagne) - check

Just playing devils advocate.
Or we could have not acted ******** and kept Gagne in a year that we are trying to win the Cup and then deal with salary issues in the offseason.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:52 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
You nay-sayers want to take anything back? He's about to trade Gagne, arguably the most popular player on the team, a Flyer from the start, our longest tenured player, a class act all the way, and a guy that loves the area
-8 in the Finals

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:20 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
+/- is the most overrated stat im hockey

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:43 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
-8 in the Finals
Yeah and Carter was a -6, and for the whole playoffs Carter was a -5 vs. Gagne's -2

Whats your point??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Or we could have not acted ******** and kept Gagne in a year that we are trying to win the Cup and then deal with salary issues in the offseason.
Now why would Holmgren have done that??? He obviously needs to make 75 moves every offseason

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
-8 in the Finals
Ok, so I assume you're in favour of trading Gagne. If I recall correctly, you've never been his biggest fan. Fine.

Would you rather have the worst starting goaltender in the NHL, a 20 game goon and the most overpaid 5th defenseman in the NHL for $6.6M, or Gagne?

That's basically what this comes down to. Holmgren chose to add pieces that didn't need adding, costing a winger we kind of need (putting loyalty aside, we're honestly pretty short on natural wings given that this organization thinks we need 4 top 2 centres in the lineup).

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Quote:
-8 in the Finals
Here's a better one - Michael Leighton's save percentage in the Finals: .858

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:25 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Gagne was also injured and getting pain injections before every game, he clearly wasn't himself.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:51 AM
Flyerfan808

What use is it anymore?

Over the past couple of days, I have been trying (really really hard) to trick myself into believing that Holmgren knows what he is doing. I have been trying the glass half full approach, but... its not working.

I keep going over all the useless moves and absence of logic and I come to the conclusion that I cannot afford to waste a great deal of time toiling over how badly this team has mismanaged its assets this summer (and it isn't over yet). At the end of the day there is no use in complaining about all that has and will transpire during the offseason. It isn't as if we can do anything about it.

As of today I will put on a smile, try to be optimistic (even to the point of sarcasm) and look forward to the start of the season and whatever kind of roster we will be sporting. This team is still going to compete. I expect it to compete at the highest levels... and I don't want to hear any excuses from Holmgren, Laviolette, anyone in this organization.

So I am just going to leave it at this:

In this upcoming season I expect Stanley Cup FINALS. Anything less than that and Holmgren should be FIRED.

I don't care how, and I don't want to hear any excuses if we fall short. SCF or kthxbye.

GO FLYERS.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 06:18 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
-8 in the Finals
What about M.Richards? Was he a minus player too? I think he was -7, trade him?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 06:49 AM
hextall shoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Gagne was also injured and getting pain injections before every game, he clearly wasn't himself.
With all of Gagnes injuries its hard to tell when he will be "himself".

hextall shoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 07:47 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
+/- is the most overrated stat im hockey
He sucked in the FInals.

SUCKED.

You're one of the guys who said Gagne was a "lock" for Team Canada, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
Here's a better one - Michael Leighton's save percentage in the Finals: .858
So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
What about M.Richards? Was he a minus player too? I think he was -7, trade him?
Mike Richards isn't even at his prime yet. Gagne has passed his.

Simon Gagne is NOT a Sacred Cow. Trading his would NOT be blasphemous.

Old
07-04-2010, 07:48 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hextall shoots View Post
With all of Gagnes injuries its hard to tell when he will be "himself".
He's on his downside. He will never be "himself" again.

Old
07-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Ok, so I assume you're in favour of trading Gagne. If I recall correctly, you've never been his biggest fan. Fine.

Would you rather have the worst starting goaltender in the NHL, a 20 game goon and the most overpaid 5th defenseman in the NHL for $6.6M, or Gagne?

That's basically what this comes down to. Holmgren chose to add pieces that didn't need adding, costing a winger we kind of need (putting loyalty aside, we're honestly pretty short on natural wings given that this organization thinks we need 4 top 2 centres in the lineup).
Thank you for summing this up. I see this as the problem. It is not that the team is worse, it is that these deals did not need to be made. So Holmgren obtains players that are not really necessary for a player who can get 30 goals on a team that jettisoned Knuble and Lupul last offseason. we keep getting rid of goals without replacing them.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
He sucked in the FInals.

SUCKED.

You're one of the guys who said Gagne was a "lock" for Team Canada, right?

So what?

Mike Richards isn't even at his prime yet. Gagne has passed his.

Simon Gagne is NOT a Sacred Cow. Trading his would NOT be blasphemous.
Michael Leighton sucked in the finals too, but apparently Homer has made it a priority to sign a career borderline NHLer to be our starter rather then keeping a life-time Flyer and 30-goal scorer.

The fact that Gagne was even in consideration for Team Canada says a lot about how good he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
Thank you for summing this up. I see this as the problem. It is not that the team is worse, it is that these deals did not need to be made. So Holmgren obtains players that are not really necessary for a player who can get 30 goals on a team that jettisoned Knuble and Lupul last offseason. we keep getting rid of goals without replacing them.
Exactly.

I don't think anyone realizes how screwed our offense is without Gagne. It showed in the Boston series during the playoffs last year. He's our best winger, defensively responsible, and a threat for 30 goals and 70 points. How does anyone expect Homer to replace the production of Knuble, Umberger, Lupul, and Gagne over the last couple off-seasons with the way the cap is?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 09:23 AM
decadentia

Quote:
He's on his downside. He will never be "himself" again.
Back away from Gagne

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I don't think anyone realizes how screwed our offense is without Gagne. It showed in the Boston series during the playoffs last year. He's our best winger, defensively responsible, and a threat for 30 goals and 70 points. How does anyone expect Homer to replace the production of Knuble, Umberger, Lupul, and Gagne over the last couple off-seasons with the way the cap is?
We were missing Jeff Carter in that series too. The offense isn't screwed.

This is what happens with a salary cap. You lock up guys who you think are your "core" and you flip older high priced guys with younger cheap guys. It's the cost of doing business. You have to rely on guys like Leino, Giroux and JvR to pick up the production of the Knuble's and Gagne's that you're losing.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 10:23 AM
MsWoof

When all is said and done, the guys on the ice have done really well in spite of Holmgren. It was bad enough he kept Stevens around forever but he's negated the good things he's done (Betts, Lappy, Leino) with all the bad contracts (too many to list) and overpayments. I dread the Gagne trade and it isn't because I have a deep attachment to Gagne.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
We were missing Jeff Carter in that series too. The offense isn't screwed.

This is what happens with a salary cap. You lock up guys who you think are your "core" and you flip older high priced guys with younger cheap guys. It's the cost of doing business. You have to rely on guys like Leino, Giroux and JvR to pick up the production of the Knuble's and Gagne's that you're losing.
No one here is blinded to the realities of a cap-based world (except maybe Homer, actually) but we are just concerned that horrible cap management will lead to Gags being a salary dump rather than a necessary move to ensure the longterm success of the team. That would be tolerable though still painful. Gagne doesn't exactly have a great deal of value right now anyway.

Old
07-04-2010, 11:55 AM
MountainHawk

Holmgren is living off drafts from prior to his tenure. This is all going to come crashing down on us at some point.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Holmgren is living off drafts from prior to his tenure. This is all going to come crashing down on us at some point.
You need multiple players that are on ELCs to keep the cap under control. The future is looking pretty bleak in that regard for us. He doesn't understand that young, cheap talent is necessary.

Old
07-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
You need multiple players that are on ELCs to keep the cap under control. The future is looking pretty bleak in that regard for us. He doesn't understand that young, cheap talent is necessary.
Yet when he tries to trade an older guy with an injury history for what could amount to player(s) on ELCs or draft picks the entire board goes crazy.

Old
07-04-2010, 12:23 PM
MountainHawk

30 is old?

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Yet when he tries to trade an older guy with an injury history for what could amount to player(s) on ELCs or draft picks the entire board goes crazy.
First, you have no idea what the return for Gags would be or what he's even asking for. Ryan, for example, would be a 5M+ player coming back.

Second, as you've alluded to, Gagne's value isn't particularly high right now. Because of that it has all of the makings of a salary dump rather than a restocking of young talent.

Third, if we are trying to win a Cup this year, Gagne isn't the player to be looking to lose.

Fourth, Homer's cap management skills are about as developed as Glenn Beck's love of black people.

Old
07-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
First, you have no idea what the return for Gags would be or what he's even asking for. Ryan, for example, would be a 5M+ player coming back.

Second, as you've alluded to, Gagne's value isn't particularly high right now. Because of that it has all of the makings of a salary dump rather than a restocking of young talent.

Third, if we are trying to win a Cup this year, Gagne isn't the player to be looking to lose.

Fourth, Homer's cap management skills are about as developed as Glenn Beck's love of black people.
Nobody knows what the return for Gagne would be, yet everyone seems ok to jump on Holmgren for even asking him to waive his NTC.

Old
07-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Nobody knows what the return for Gagne would be, yet everyone seems ok to jump on Holmgren for even asking him to waive his NTC.
As well they should because it is a move that is being forced due to cap mismanagement and there is a very real possibility that Gagne's trade value is very, very low right now.