HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade coming soon?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2010, 11:54 AM
  #76
BillR10
Registered User
 
BillR10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 431
vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
wow, that's bizarre. wtf are they doing?

Maybe they have a taker already, but if not...

If they are going to eat half his cap hit this year, I have to imagine there was absolutely no interest in him. Burying him means that they really can't trade him because no team could bring him up without putting him through re-entry waivers (which no one is going to risk).

This is very strange.
Lebrun said on twitter "the oilers have 0 intrest in eating half his salary." From re entry waivers. Maybe they are balking to get someone to bite on normal waivers or maybe they are intent on burying him in the minors. Not sure if they can still buy him out.

BillR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:58 AM
  #77
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR10 View Post
Lebrun said on twitter "the oilers have 0 intrest in eating half his salary." From re entry waivers. Maybe they are balking to get someone to bite on normal waivers or maybe they are intent on burying him in the minors. Not sure if they can still buy him out.
Or they already have a deal in place. Basically someone like DW said "we'll take him for free" and they said ok.

Sharks seem like an odd choice since we are so far down the waiver wire list, I suspect it's a team near the top of the waiver wire. Still, if it was DW, he better have got a look at Souray's medical records before claiming him. If so, I'm fine with it. He's a little overpriced, but he's still a very good player.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:01 PM
  #78
Lebanezer
Registered User
 
Lebanezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 2,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilk View Post
Leopold signs 3yrs/$3million. $1M per year to Buffalo. Damn.
3 years, 3 million a season, not 3 million total.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:02 PM
  #79
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
3 years, 3 million a season, not 3 million total.
haha oops. That's a good deal.

He's nothing special though. I'd rather have Demers for instance.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:03 PM
  #80
Lebanezer
Registered User
 
Lebanezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 2,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Or they already have a deal in place. Basically someone like DW said "we'll take him for free" and they said ok.

Sharks seem like an odd choice since we are so far down the waiver wire list, I suspect it's a team near the top of the waiver wire. Still, if it was DW, he better have got a look at Souray's medical records before claiming him. If so, I'm fine with it. He's a little overpriced, but he's still a very good player.
If we pick him up than we have to trade players for picks and I'm not sure that's a great idea.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:05 PM
  #81
Patty Ice
Best in the World
 
Patty Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OxNard
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 10,211
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
I'd pick him up off re-entry waivers, but the Sharks would have close to the last claim. Of course that won't happen.
Doubt he goes to re-entry, Oilers don't want to be responsible half the bill. The Oilers have likely received offers where they take a bad contract back. So they put him on waivers with the hopes a team is desperate enough to grab him because they missed out on the top tier of UFAs. If that doesn't happen, they explore those bad contracts deals again.

__________________
Patty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:08 PM
  #82
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
Doubt he goes to re-entry, Oilers don't want to be responsible half the bill. The Oilers have likely received offers where they take a bad contract back. So they put him on waivers with the hopes a team is desperate enough to grab him because they missed out on the top tier of UFAs. If that doesn't happen, they explore those bad contracts deals again.
How could they though? You can't trade for a player eligible for re-entry waivers without having to put him through re-entry waivers. The oilers as you said are not going to risk that, and no team with half a brain is going to risk that.

No. I think the Oilers already have a taker.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:16 PM
  #83
19sharks19
Registered User
 
19sharks19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: T.O. to S.J. & back
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
wow, that's bizarre. wtf are they doing?

Maybe they have a taker already, but if not...

If they are going to eat half his cap hit this year, I have to imagine there was absolutely no interest in him. Burying him means that they really can't trade him because no team could bring him up without putting him through re-entry waivers (which no one is going to risk).

This is very strange.
Safe to say that is it. Not him per say but the contract of course.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:18 PM
  #84
baydrake
gutless performance
 
baydrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
How could they though? You can't trade for a player eligible for re-entry waivers without having to put him through re-entry waivers. The oilers as you said are not going to risk that, and no team with half a brain is going to risk that.

No. I think the Oilers already have a taker.
i believe that even if souray clears, edmonton can choose not to assign him to the minors (i.e. he's still in the NHL). the acquiring club then can have souray on their NHL roster without clearing re-entry waivers for them.

baydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:22 PM
  #85
Sleepy
Registered User
 
Sleepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by baydrake View Post
i believe that even if souray clears, edmonton can choose not to assign him to the minors (i.e. he's still in the NHL). the acquiring club then can have souray on their NHL roster without clearing re-entry waivers for them.
I think you're right. The Sharks did something similar with KMac a few years ago when they put him through the same waivers twice, hoping someone would claim him.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
  #86
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by baydrake View Post
i believe that even if souray clears, edmonton can choose not to assign him to the minors (i.e. he's still in the NHL). the acquiring club then can have souray on their NHL roster without clearing re-entry waivers for them.
Exactly. I don't think that they can even assign him right now. IIRC, not until the AHL season/camp starts.

Another little piece of info which likely won't apply. A player can be assigned to the minors and traded to another team from the minors, joining the second team's NHL roster without having to go through waivers.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:47 PM
  #87
Lebanezer
Registered User
 
Lebanezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 2,669
vCash: 500
I don't think any other teams are going to do the Oilers a favor and take on that contract without getting more than just Souray. I think re-entry waivers is the only way he gets picked up.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:02 PM
  #88
JPavs8Clutchy*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bye
Country: United States
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDmitriy View Post
They just re-signed him today - why would they trade him? Wouldn't that be like us trading Wallin - I'd like that to happen, but it won't...
Also, we should give Hammer an offersheet!
We should, but it's not DW's thing. He's too nice, which is why I want him gone.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:06 PM
  #89
Patty Ice
Best in the World
 
Patty Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OxNard
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 10,211
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
I don't think any other teams are going to do the Oilers a favor and take on that contract without getting more than just Souray. I think re-entry waivers is the only way he gets picked up.
They aren't looking for a favor, they are looking for a team that missed out on the Hamhuis, Martins, and Gonchars.

Patty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:09 PM
  #90
Lebanezer
Registered User
 
Lebanezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 2,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
They aren't looking for a favor, they are looking for a team that missed out on the Hamhuis, Martins, and Gonchars.
True, but each of those guys has a lower cap hit than Souray.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:09 PM
  #91
Chaotic8
Boarding Major
 
Chaotic8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,369
vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
We should, but it's not DW's thing. He's too nice, which is why I want him gone.
Didn't you just start watching hockey in Jan?

Chaotic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:15 PM
  #92
Patty Ice
Best in the World
 
Patty Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OxNard
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 10,211
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
True, but each of those guys has a lower cap hit than Souray.
Hence why I used "desperate" team in my earlier post

Patty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:17 PM
  #93
Esoteric Ubiquity*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Country: Greece
Posts: 3,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
We should, but it's not DW's thing. He's too nice, which is why I want him gone.
I wouldn't confuse 'nice' with a demonstrated lack of boldness.Wilson has his directives from the higher ups and his plan. Whatever it is, he seems determined to stick to it. Yet now, that it hasn't been working, he's gotta actually do some real GM work and not just trade picks and prospects for playoff rentals.

I wouldn't call him 'too nice' I'd call him 'too inept' 'too gunshy' 'too stubborn' 'too settled' It's as though he doesn't have enough water in his soul.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:28 PM
  #94
Matalvatz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
How along does it take to pass through waivers, assuming no one picks him up? What happens after waivers? Is he a UFA, or is he designated for assignment?

Matalvatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:32 PM
  #95
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matalvatz View Post
How along does it take to pass through waivers, assuming no one picks him up? What happens after waivers? Is he a UFA, or is he designated for assignment?
24 hours.

He isn't a UFA no.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
  #96
glennzky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: East Bay
Posts: 615
vCash: 500
Seto for Regehr

glennzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:59 PM
  #97
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 7,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzky View Post
Clowe for Regehr
Fixed it for you

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:02 PM
  #98
Esoteric Ubiquity*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Country: Greece
Posts: 3,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Fixed it for you
The way Sutter is rolling right now, see if there are any ex Flames to be had.

Fleury?
MacDonald?
Otto?

Surely those three could garner Ian White, too!

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:05 PM
  #99
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 7,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric Ubiquity View Post
The way Sutter is rolling right now, see if there are any ex Flames to be had.

Fleury?
MacDonald?
Otto?

Surely those three could garner Ian White, too!
would MUCH rather it be Clowe for White and then sign Mitchell (if he is healthy).

Boyle, Vlasic, Mitchell and White would be a solid top 4.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:27 PM
  #100
5H4RK5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric Ubiquity View Post
I wouldn't confuse 'nice' with a demonstrated lack of boldness.Wilson has his directives from the higher ups and his plan. Whatever it is, he seems determined to stick to it. Yet now, that it hasn't been working, he's gotta actually do some real GM work and not just trade picks and prospects for playoff rentals.

I wouldn't call him 'too nice' I'd call him 'too inept' 'too gunshy' 'too stubborn' 'too settled' It's as though he doesn't have enough water in his soul.
DW is a good foundation builder. He needs a lot of aid though in terms of building the team cap, salary prices with only slight overpayment, get some cheap guys that play much higher than there salary, build a defense without trading the chemistry away every year like Rivet, Ehrhoff, this year hopefully he keeps it together and adds not subtract, 3-4 line depth with a playmaker. He doesn't seem to communicate with the coaches, I haven't seen any players that have one ounce of dangle that can propel our PP to new heights. Stubborn is the key word to describe DW. Stubborn doesn't win championships without some aid from good advisors. I hope he is asking Tmac for a list of skills he wants of players that could help the team rather than trying to be a one man army general.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.