HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's almost official...Leighton/Boosh

Old
07-02-2010, 07:26 AM
ThePiousInfant

vCash: 500
What do you expect him to say? "Our goaltending is a huge problem...if the season started today we would be royally ****ed so I'm really hoping that Turco/Nabokov lower their price tag."

Seriously, I think Paul Holmgren is an idiot too, but at least he has his poker face on.

ThePiousInfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
If we got Turco, I wonder if he would trade Leighton or would he just trade Boucher?
What crazy GM is going to trade for them? No one needs Boucher or Leighton.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:36 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

At this point, I expect and yet find hilarious how much moves like this pisses off everyone at HFBoards.

But I'll continue to watch. And if the team makes it far again, I'll continue to watch the same people that *****ed about these moves soak in all the glory.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:53 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePiousInfant View Post
What do you expect him to say? "Our goaltending is a huge problem...if the season started today we would be royally ****ed so I'm really hoping that Turco/Nabokov lower their price tag."

Seriously, I think Paul Holmgren is an idiot too, but at least he has his poker face on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
At this point, I expect and yet find hilarious how much moves like this pisses off everyone at HFBoards.

But I'll continue to watch. And if the team makes it far again, I'll continue to watch the same people that *****ed about these moves soak in all the glory.
We're all going to watch the Flyers, and we'll cheer for whoever is on the team and how hard they're all going to play under Laviolette. I'm sure most of the acquisitions will exceed expectations on this fairly stacked roster, honestly. But that's not the time. The roster wasn't finalized, and Homer could have given the team more to work with, like, for instance, such as, namely, in some circles called, a starting NHL goalie, aka not Leighton.

Behind our defense Leighton will probably put up decent stats as long as he doesn't revert (which is possible), but it will require a focused defensive effort that really doesn't suit aid our offense. Does anyone remember the first few games of last season, when Emery wasn't hurt and was playing very well, how it allowed us to open up our offense? With a great defense and a good goalie, that's what a team with a strong top-9 can do, especially with an aggressive forecheck like Lavi's now.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:58 AM
BringBackStevens

To all of those acting like this isn't a big deal... ask yourself, what was our biggest weakness last season (assuming after the team started playing well under laviolette)? Now ask yourself what our biggest weakness is.

I rarely bash Holmgren, but that is a botched job. It was going to be tough to NOT upgrade at least a little bit in goal this season... he still has some time but its looking grim

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:15 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

I'm trying to keep a level head here because I don't see any point in *****ing about it, but I just don't get it.
Does Homer really think that the reason the Flyers lost in the Finals wasn't goaltending but defense? Cause it sure seems that way.

Leighton literally lost Game 6 for them. You can make an easy argument for some other games, but there's absolutely no doubt he lost the deciding game.
Now, does Homer think Boosh and Leighton are the reason the even made it to the Finals? I mean, look at what offenses they faced. The didn't play Washington, they didn't play against the Penguins ... The one time the Flyers faced a good offense Leighton got absolutely shellacked - night in and night out.
The Jacques Lemaire New Jersey Devils were the second best offense Philly faced all playoffs ...

Yeah, I don't get it.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:19 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
We're all going to watch the Flyers, and we'll cheer for whoever is on the team and how hard they're all going to play under Laviolette. I'm sure most of the acquisitions will exceed expectations on this fairly stacked roster, honestly. But that's not the time. The roster wasn't finalized, and Homer could have given the team more to work with, like, for instance, such as, namely, in some circles called, a starting NHL goalie, aka not Leighton.

Behind our defense Leighton will probably put up decent stats as long as he doesn't revert (which is possible), but it will require a focused defensive effort that really doesn't suit aid our offense. Does anyone remember the first few games of last season, when Emery wasn't hurt and was playing very well, how it allowed us to open up our offense? With a great defense and a good goalie, that's what a team with a strong top-9 can do, especially with an aggressive forecheck like Lavi's now.
I had a really, really good response, not argumentative, but a point that both supported both your opinion and mine.

I posted it and the servers did it's morning 8AM reset. And now it's gone.

Long story short, I agree, but Leighton I think stepped up when he finally had expectations, and if he uses that as a fire to perform we may get more out of him, which can allow the D to open up more. And even when they can't open up, don't forget how good the O is on the fast-break.

Old
07-02-2010, 08:28 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
To all of those acting like this isn't a big deal... ask yourself, what was our biggest weakness last season (assuming after the team started playing well under laviolette)? Now ask yourself what our biggest weakness is.

I rarely bash Holmgren, but that is a botched job. It was going to be tough to NOT upgrade at least a little bit in goal this season... he still has some time but its looking grim
This is the best point that's been made so far.

I’ll piggyback on it, for those who are defending Holmgren: if you were an NHL GM competing for The Cup and you went into the season with Michael Leighton as your starting goalie, could you honestly say that you did all you could to improve your team? The answer’s no. With the market that’s out there—compiled by our problems from the past—there’s absolutely no way.

I really don’t get why he consistently doesn’t address the team’s glaring needs. Here’s to hoping that he makes a move for Turco in the next few days.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:32 AM
TOCxNJ

Well, hopefully this is Homer just saying what he's supposed to say to the media....

However, if we do not pick up a goalie this offseason, I doubt I'll be excited to watch this team play when the season starts. I've never been "meh" on the start of the season but man, way to botch the free agent signings....this is terrible.

Yay, we made our already great defense better....left the weakest link the weakest link. Threw **** money at Shelley for no reason.

Yea...meh.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:33 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
I had a really, really good response, not argumentative, but a point that both supported both your opinion and mine.

I posted it and the servers did it's morning 8AM reset. And now it's gone.

Long story short, I agree, but Leighton I think stepped up when he finally had expectations, and if he uses that as a fire to perform we may get more out of him, which can allow the D to open up more. And even when they can't open up, don't forget how good the O is on the fast-break.
I'm going to make a Phillies error and say that this roster is good enough under Lavi to get to the playoffs, barring major injuries. Even if Leighton "steps it up," do we know that he can maintain that for any length of time, let alone a full season? He's only started more than 30 games once in his career, and was never a full-time starter, so it's safe to say that he'd have to split significant time with Boucher. Not to mention the fact that at some point one or both are going to get hurt because we're the Flyers, at which point we're in trouble. I can't seriously see Holmgren being confident in this, he must be bluffing, but he doesn't have that ability.

Old
07-02-2010, 08:38 AM
TOCxNJ

Honestly though...

Other GM's have to be LOL'ing at our organization. To think that Leighton/Boosh is a tandem to take you where you want to go, WHEN YOU COULD HAVE SIGNED A TRUE NUMBER 1 GOALIE, is just laughable.

It's like the Flyers are playing a joke on everyone.

Idiotic beyond belief and I can't say that enough.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:42 AM
archiejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Yup just posturing to bring down the price of either Turco or Nabakov. I don't think Holmgren believes that Mason/Ellis are any better than Leighton (although I sure do)

I just hope he doesn't wind up paying Nabakov $4 million because I think Turco is better.
I guess Mason gets a pass on how he played in the WC. I like Ellis but he has done nothing for anybody to think he is better then Leights. Nashville had a great defensive group as well. We'll see how this year goes. I do agree with you though that Turco would be a better signing over Nabby.

archiejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:46 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
Honestly though...

Other GM's have to be LOL'ing at our organization. To think that Leighton/Boosh is a tandem to take you where you want to go, WHEN YOU COULD HAVE SIGNED A TRUE NUMBER 1 GOALIE, is just laughable.

It's like the Flyers are playing a joke on everyone.

Idiotic beyond belief and I can't say that enough.
It won't be funny come season start.

Didn't everyone hear joke about signing Emery? He played great when he wasn't injured.

Didn't people question Blair Betts because he rarely scores? Him and Lappy made the PK what it is today.

Leighton a free agent pickup? Led the team to the Stanley Cup with the help of some fantastic defensive work by the D.

Getting Ville Leino for nothing at trade deadline? He's useless! One of the best players on the ice throughout the playoffs.

Old
07-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

leighton did not have a good final.
Neither did niemi.

So quick to forget a franchise best 2 SO in the previous series?

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:48 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I'm going to make a Phillies error and say that this roster is good enough under Lavi to get to the playoffs, barring major injuries. Even if Leighton "steps it up," do we know that he can maintain that for any length of time, let alone a full season? He's only started more than 30 games once in his career, and was never a full-time starter, so it's safe to say that he'd have to split significant time with Boucher. Not to mention the fact that at some point one or both are going to get hurt because we're the Flyers, at which point we're in trouble. I can't seriously see Holmgren being confident in this, he must be bluffing, but he doesn't have that ability.
Backlund?

Old
07-02-2010, 08:49 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Neither did niemi.

It was 3.

Mind you, he shut down in 5 games a team that beat both the Pens and Caps.

Old
07-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Miss Mess

Great. Yet another year of **** goaltending. I can hardly wait.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
If the goaltending is Leighton/Boucher in April, they will not win the Stanley Cup. It is that simple. I don't care if the 1977 Montreal Canadiens are in front of them.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:13 AM
decadentia

I guess what confuses me is that there are/were so many options out there...most of them have signed cheaply. He didn't necessarily have to get Turco/Nabokov (although preferred), he could have simply went after Mason/Nitty/Biron and to a lesser extent Ellis. We have a glaring hole in net, and we could have cheaply fixed/patched it. Instead he goes and spends the money elsewhere, one at defense which is going to help but not needed, and then on Shelley which is absolutely pissing money away.

It's mindblowing to know someone who literally has to live/eat/breathe hockey can be so shortsighted.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Neither did niemi.

Who gives a ****? Habs sucked by the time they faced Flyers because they were spent. They took best of the best in Eastern Conference Pittsburgh and Washington and won.

By the way Niemi outplayed Leighton in game 2, he was a much better goalie then Leighton in game 1 3rd period. He was a better goalie in game 6.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:17 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
To say that Leighton beat a team that beat the Penguins and Capitals...intelligent rational thinking about this situation doesn't allow for that form of reasoning.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
What do you expect him to say? He's not going to say he doesn't trust Leighton and Boucher.
I agree. This is the best post you've written in the last 24 hours.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:26 AM
McNasty

Quote:

Heh well you better hope they have a better starter then Leighton, I paid for that **** in the playoffs once I won't be doing it again.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:

I bought stock in Kleenex and blood pressure medicine. I also picked up a pair of earplugs to drown out the whining.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:33 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Quote:
Backlund?
Excuse me if I'm less than confident in Johan Backlund. We're going with a tandem of two guys who can't add any season up to make 82 NHL games in the past 5 years, and have spent significant time in the AHL recently despite both being around 30, so it's inevitable that injuries are going to happen, at which point I'm supposed to trust Johan Backlund, who has played a few minutes in the NHL and frankly was mediocre in the AHL, albeit for a terrible team.