HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers sign Strudwick and Petiot

Old
07-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Really good signing, I'm very happy with it. As a 7th dman, Struds is perfect. By every account, a fantastic dressing room guy, well liked by all, and more than willing to be the mentor for the pups on this team. Exactly what this team needs right now.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
If that is our Defense for next season we will get a Top 5 pick again.
That's the idea of a rebuild. IMO a top 3 pick next year would be exceptional.

07-02-2010, 12:09 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th_Liner View Post
that's a sad looking, weak d-corp. For the money that foster/vandermeer get, we could've gotten a top pairing guy via UFA..
If we had done that, though, the bottom of the d-corps would look even worse:

Peckham-Strudwick
Chorney

We needed multiple short-term D-men as a stop-gap during a rebuilding year. That's exactly what we got (Vandermeer and Strudwick go bye-bye at the end of the year, Foster after 2 years).

Signing a big-ticket D-man would have required an overpay (all of these guys like Martin or Michalek etc. are not going to come to Edmonton for the same contract that the got in Pittsburgh), so we end up with an overpayed #1 wasting key years on a rebuilding team. Might as well conserve that future cap space by adding short-term contracts and then spend it when:

a) we're actually ready to start competing
b) we're a competitive team that's at least marginally attractive to a big-ticket FA for reasons other than $s

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:09 PM
alphahelix

I think that Strudwick is acceptable given the intangibles he brings to the team and being a local guy... but when you consider that the other option was probably Johnson... we lose.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:12 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
That's the idea of a rebuild. IMO a top 3 pick next year would be exceptional.
Sure, but why then not give young guys like Petry or Chorney chances isntead of Strudwick, Vandermeer and co?

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:17 PM
AgaChak

I grew up with Petiot, a good Alberta boy and if he's still anything like he was back then, he's a truly nice guy. Glad he got a contract, even if it is for the AHL. Good luck Richard!

AgaChak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:18 PM
27theROCK

Struds as our 6 or 7 dman is fine. The guys is well respected leader and someone who has a great influence in our room.

Why are you guys clamming for us to go get a big UFA, we are in a REBUILD! We have some kids on D that we will get to see how they do as the season moves along ie, Peckham, Chorney, Plante, Petry.

Who were we singning for Foster and Vandy money, thats 3.8, who fits in our rebuild plan? Foster is still younger and is a reasonable cost Vandy is a tough guy who is gone next year.

Jezz thank god Tambo is sticking to the plan becuase it seems like all you guys are back to wanting to chase hopes and dreams ala Lowe!

27theROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Sure, but why then not give young guys like Petry or Chorney chances isntead of Strudwick, Vandermeer and co?
So that they get some seasoning at the AHL level in all situations and don't get too discouraged at the NHL level. That and neither of them bring fighting to the table.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:21 PM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Quote:
that's a sad looking, weak d-corp. For the money that foster/vandermeer get, we could've gotten a top pairing guy via UFA..
Except we didn't even sign Vandermeer, we got him in exchange for a team taking another terrible signing. If we would have just bought POS out we would have gotten 1.8 on the cap for him with Foster's 1.8 which is hardly enough to sign a top pairing guy and still have enough to sign:

- Bottom Pairing guys that can play
- Grinder to fill out last two lines
- Guys who are on contract for 2 years

Every top UFA will want at least 4+ years on the term. A rebuilding team doesn't need that. Time to look towards 2-3 season from now and not 1.

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:24 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Some teams think that the best way to develop young players is to let them play at the AHL level until they prove they're ready for the next level. A team like Detroit does this (think Hudler, Erickson, Filppula).

The "sink or swim" model of development is more like what teams like Columbus, Florida or Atlanta do.

Which do you think makes more sense? Throwing young guys into the fire on losing teams, or letting them develop at a more measured pace until they're really ready.

I think at this point Chorney has proven that he could use more seasoning. Unless he takes a leap forward in the offseason, he really brings nothing to the table at the NHL level, yet. Let him work on things at the AHL level and hopefully he'll come back more ready. Peckham at least brings an element to the game (physicality, agitation). Petry has only 8 games of AHL hockey, he hasn't had time to prove he's suddenly ready for an NHL tryout.

We don't need these guys in the NHL yet. We don't even need to know if they're NHL ready yet. (Nor could we know - if Petry is thrown into the NHL after just 8 games of pro hockey, onto a last place squad, and he fails, does that mean that he's a bust, or just that he was brought up far too soon? You can't even get good information about these guys by bringing them into the NHL lineup right now, let alone good development).

No reason for guys like Petry to be in the NHL this season. Give them time.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:28 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Well I guess that makes Struds our depth d-man. Whitney-Gilbert, Foster-Smid
And Peckham/Chorney-Vandermeer....

I think it'll be Chorney... but who knows.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:32 PM
OmegaTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Whitney - Gilbert
Smid - Foster
Peckham - Vandermeer
Strudwick

Maybe he gets some more time at forward.
They must be plaiing to add a certian sweedish D man.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

And for that top pairing guy, you will overpay twice. Once because he's a UFA, and once more because he'd be coming to a young team in a complete rebuild. What this team needs right now is exactly what Tambo is giving them, and what he said he'd do. Some experienced journeymen with some character and grit, at reasonable short term contracts to prvide mentorship and leadership until the day we again have a competitive team. I love the signings/trades so far this year. Tambo has shone. You are going to need to have patience, just like the team. And if we all do, the potential rewards can be great.

Old
07-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Did you not see what happened to Chorney and Peckham last year? They got eaten alive. Keep them in OKC to learn there trade until they are confident and ready to come up. Defencemen always take some extra time to develop. We don't need to rush more guys and ruin them.

Old
07-02-2010, 12:45 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Did you not see what happened to Chorney and Peckham last year? They got eaten alive. Keep them in OKC to learn there trade until they are confident and ready to come up. Defencemen always take some extra time to develop. We don't need to rush more guys and ruin them.
I don't know, at the age of 23 even a Defenceman should be kind fo ready for the NHL if he wants to become solid NHL Defenceman.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 830
I like Strudwick as a person, but in a perfect world, he would be 8th on our depth charts. All it takes is one injury to our top 6 and he gets to play 60+ games a season again. That's at least 20 more games than I am comfortable with.

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Teemu

Petiot had a great year with the Ice Hogs, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the Oilers next year

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Petry needs a good year in the minors, because last year was a gongshow, and Chorney will either be on the farm or moved imo, the Oilers haven't seen the growth they would like out of him, imo.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
And the whole rebuild thing has flown over yet another posters head....

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm just throwing this out there, but Strudwick can play up front people. So perhaps we will still be signing AJ and rolling with 8 d-men seeing as how Strud's could be the 8th d-man AND the 14th forward.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Cerebral

I like Strudwick but with what we currently have, we badly need another top 4 defenceman:

Whitney-Gilbert
Smid-XXXXXX
Foster-Vandermeer
Strudwick

I would personally rather have Peckham in that #7 spot as I still think he could develop into something decent.

07-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Beerfish

Bad signing of Strudwick, there comes a time when on ice performance and good character pass each other like ships in the night and we already have a Strudwick in Vandemeer in my mind. I have no idea who this other guy is.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I like Strudwick but with what we currently have, we badly need another top 4 defenceman:

Whitney-Gilbert
Smid-XXXXXX
Foster-Vandermeer
Strudwick

I would personally rather have Peckham in that #7 spot as I still think he could develop into something decent.
I would say that Foster is likely to play with Smid

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Loweball

[QUOTE=Destroyko;26697676]So the NHL D depth chart is currently:

Gilbert-Whitney
Foster-Smid
Vandermeer-Peckham
Strudwick

Not too excited with this line up to be honest.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Really good signing, I'm very happy with it. As a 7th dman, Struds is perfect. By every account, a fantastic dressing room guy, well liked by all, and more than willing to be the mentor for the pups on this team. Exactly what this team needs right now.
With Peckham and the trade for Vandermeer. I see no point at all in this signing.

The only thing I will concede is Struds is supposedly great in the room and good with the young guys. I am not sure if that is a good enough reason by itself to sign a guy.

To the bold part above. We have said this the last two years when he was signed. Then he automatically goes straight into the line up and plays lots of minutes. One thing you can be sure of every time we sign Strudwick. He will play and not be the reserve press box guy we always hope for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Petiot had a great year with the Ice Hogs, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the Oilers next year
I am pretty certain this is depth for the farm in OKC.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote