HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sheldon Souray clears waivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2010, 04:13 PM
  #426
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Not even close to the Flyers defense

Pronger >>> Orpik
Timonen > Michalek
Coburn = Martin
Meszaros = Letang
Carle = Goligoski
O'Donnell > Lovejoy
wrong matchups and not correct at all

Id rank the defenseman like this

1. Pronger (Phil)
2. Martin (Pitt)
3. Timmonen (Phil)
4. Michalek (Pitt)
5. Coburn (Phil)
6. Orpik (Pitt)
7. Mezaros (Phil)
8. Letang (Pitt)
9. Carle (Phil)
10. Goligoski (Pitt)
11. Lovejoy (Pitt)
12. O'Donnel (Phil)

i really didnt put it almost every other on purpose i think thats just the way it is

Philadelphia defense is easily better, but pittsburgh is pretty solid too. I dont think Pitts defense is top 5, maybe top 10

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:16 PM
  #427
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed
 
Saving Greiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
The window is closed, except for an arbitration related exception that doesn't apply to Souray which was discussed mere moments ago in this very thread...
Ok, my apologies.

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:19 PM
  #428
Gerbe42
Hodgson 2 Vanek
 
Gerbe42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,357
vCash: 500
wish the sabres would of got him

Gerbe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:20 PM
  #429
oil slick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan2008 View Post
I suspect he'll be bought out
nah - buying out extends his cap hit for four years, the Oilers don't need cap space for the next couple of years, they will in three and four years. I think it will be re-entry.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:20 PM
  #430
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 34,986
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind trading for Souray if the Sharks could manage to find a way to get Smid with him. However, it would depend on what the Oilers would be looking for in exchange. Cap-wise it would be difficult to not put one of Clowe or Murray in there and add a guy like Huskins and maybe Torrey Mitchell.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:22 PM
  #431
AVE MAN
Registered User
 
AVE MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
can we officially say that Souray has negative value?
He definitely has negative value but name a team in the NHL that doesnt have a player/contract with negative value.
If he's traded he'll obviously have to be traded for a player in the same category. Ie Eric Brewer, Ribero, someone like that.

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:22 PM
  #432
hillbillypriest
Registered User
 
hillbillypriest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: there there
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan2008 View Post
Ok, my apologies.
Me too. I don't need to be a dick.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:24 PM
  #433
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I wouldn't mind trading for Souray if the Sharks could manage to find a way to get Smid with him. However, it would depend on what the Oilers would be looking for in exchange. Cap-wise it would be difficult to not put one of Clowe or Murray in there and add a guy like Huskins and maybe Torrey Mitchell.
I agree, I think Smid is the guy the Sharks would want.

To EDM:
Ryane Clowe
Douglas Murray
Kent Huskins
SJ 2011 2nd

To SJ:
Sheldon Souray
Ladislov Smid
Andrew Cogliano

That doesn't feel quite right, but something like that.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:31 PM
  #434
Esoteric Ubiquity*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Country: Greece
Posts: 3,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I agree, I think Smid is the guy the Sharks would want.

To EDM:
Ryane Clowe
Douglas Murray
Kent Huskins
SJ 2011 2nd

To SJ:
Sheldon Souray
Ladislov Smid
Andrew Cogliano

That doesn't feel quite right, but something like that.
Remove the 2nd from SJ, add a 4th from EDM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
So you found me a post that was made 6 months ago.

You realize at the time Jack Johnson was -20 on a good team? He had something like 4 goals and 20 points also. I remember posting that. Johnson has smartened up since than after his meeting with Dean Lombardi hasn't he? You also realize this was before Souray's 2nd injury?

Still waiting for the post that says we want a 1st round pick for Souray. Oh, and please find one that's been recent.

Johnson has higher upside and is younger. You didn't specify how old the post had to be. It still doesn't change that EDM fans expected a higher value for Souray than was realistic, as evidenced by his being waived.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:31 PM
  #435
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
question;

Now that Souray has been waivered thru the league and no one picked him up, does it void his contract if told to report to the OK Barons and he chooses not to report?. Not saying this is the route to go, but He did choose to devalue his worth to the Oilers by running down management; rightly so or not.

I'm sure I already read that Oilers have told they have no intention to bring him back on reentry and being stuck with 1/2 his wages.

That makes either trade or buy out now?


Last edited by TkachevYak2Slepy: 07-03-2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: sp
TkachevYak2Slepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:37 PM
  #436
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersRRRock/Kim View Post
question;

Now that Souray has been wavered thru the league and no one picked him up, [B]does it void his contract if told to report to the OK Barons and he chooses not to report?/B]. Not saying this is the route to go, but He did choose to devalue his worth to the Oilers by running down management; right so or not.

I'm sure I already read that Oilers have told they have no intention to bring him back on reentry and being stuck with 1/2 his wages.

That makes either trade or buy out now?
Yup. He will be traded. I don't see him being bought out at that cost.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:41 PM
  #437
Esoteric Ubiquity*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Country: Greece
Posts: 3,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Yup. He will be traded. I don't see him being bought out at that cost.
The buyout period has ended.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:41 PM
  #438
denkiteki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
I wouldn't say he has negative value, teams that could use him just do not have the room (I don't see rebuilding teams having a great use for him) without moving a contract. I'd offer Doug Murray, a very good, capable defenseman for Souray. The Sharks could use him but would just need to move a contract or two.

Perhaps even expand the deal beyond Souray with the Sharks offering Clowe and Murray. Oil fans any suggestions?
Actually it does mean negative value because now the Oilers need to either

a) include prospect/pick to dump him to a team that doesn't really want him but would take the salary on due to cap space/want to get to cap floor/etc

b) Oilers need to take salary back that other team needs to dump in order to get him. Namely other teams don't find those players worth the money they get or at the very least think Souray is better for the same money (i.e. downgrade for the Oilers). Also given the situation of the Oilers (being stronger upfront than back end), these trades will be a negative for the Oilers as a team no matter how you slice it if its a forward for D type trade.

The real question now is how big of a - value does Souray have (as in how much will the Oilers need to give up to dump him). Does it reach a point where its no longer realistic to dump him and the Oilers try to work something out with him (i.e. work out a deal for him to go to Europe to play, Russia, AHL, or somehow convince him to return to the Oilers?). Maybe the Oilers will just try to injury him in practice and put him on LTIR for the next 2 years... at least insurance will cover that right?

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:43 PM
  #439
the word*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rearranging atoms
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I agree, I think Smid is the guy the Sharks would want.

To EDM:
Ryane Clowe
Douglas Murray
Kent Huskins
SJ 2011 2nd

To SJ:
Sheldon Souray
Ladislov Smid
Andrew Cogliano

That doesn't feel quite right, but something like that.
I'd rather take a salary dump that expires in a year than accept that offer. A few brutal ones have been rumored, both better than this trade.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:44 PM
  #440
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 34,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersRRRock/Kim View Post
question;

Now that Souray has been waivered thru the league and no one picked him up, does it void his contract if told to report to the OK Barons and he chooses not to report?. Not saying this is the route to go, but He did choose to devalue his worth to the Oilers by running down management; rightly so or not.

I'm sure I already read that Oilers have told they have no intention to bring him back on reentry and being stuck with 1/2 his wages.

That makes either trade or buy out now?
It could potentially do that but Souray is not going to fail to report. I sincerely doubt that he's going to throw away 4.5 million in salary out of pride. Buy out is not possible now as the period has passed. They can only trade him at this point. They can't even assign him to OKC until September.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:48 PM
  #441
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,744
vCash: 500
5.4 Million in Cap Space > Player with a reasonable contract or a equally bad contract expiring in 1 year (Ryder) > Souray > A lesser player with a bad contract (Brewer) > lesser player with worse contract (Redden)


That is how I see this. Souray does not have negative value, he just does not have as much value as 5.4 Million in cap space.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:49 PM
  #442
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
It could potentially do that but Souray is not going to fail to report. I sincerely doubt that he's going to throw away 4.5 million in salary out of pride. Buy out is not possible now as the period has passed. They can only trade him at this point. They can't even assign him to OKC until September.
If that the case and he genuinely wants to impress and move on and gain value to the other 29 GMS, WOW! are the Barons ever going to gain a deathly powerplay shot

TkachevYak2Slepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:50 PM
  #443
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 34,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
I'd rather take a salary dump that expires in a year than accept that offer. A few brutal ones have been rumored, both better than this trade.
Why would anyone trade you a salary dump that is going to end in a year for a salary dump that will end in two years?

This is the kind of trade you should expect from Souray. He asked for a trade and he's got a 5.4 cap hit. Nobody is going to be able to take that on without sending similar cap hits in return. Clowe's a good player to have on the 2nd line. Murray can make for a good 2nd pairing defenseman. Both would protect your valuable young players that need to get experience. And you can dump 1.7 mil of that after next season is over.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:52 PM
  #444
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 34,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersRRRock/Kim View Post
If that the case and he genuinely wants to impress and move on and gain value to the other 29 GMS, WOW! are the Barons ever going to gain a deathly powerplay shot
The Oilers are not going to bury Sheldon Souray in the minors. They will either play him with the big club or they will trade him.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:56 PM
  #445
the word*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rearranging atoms
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Why would anyone trade you a salary dump that is going to end in a year for a salary dump that will end in two years?

This is the kind of trade you should expect from Souray. He asked for a trade and he's got a 5.4 cap hit. Nobody is going to be able to take that on without sending similar cap hits in return. Clowe's a good player to have on the 2nd line. Murray can make for a good 2nd pairing defenseman. Both would protect your valuable young players that need to get experience. And you can dump 1.7 mil of that after next season is over.
OK, I'd rather take a 2 year salary dump in return for Souray if it means we don't have to 'give away' Smid in a package.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:57 PM
  #446
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The Oilers are not going to bury Sheldon Souray in the minors. They will either play him with the big club or they will trade him.
Well IMO it'll be trade then, because a disgruntled player can be a cancer in the locker room. This is probably the better route as they don't want this episode rememebered by any potential UFAs, not that UFAs are lining up

TkachevYak2Slepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:14 PM
  #447
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 8,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
OK, I'd rather take a 2 year salary dump in return for Souray if it means we don't have to 'give away' Smid in a package.
So what would it take from the Sharks to include Smid?

Edit: as you know well enough now, no team is just going to take Souray as-is w/ that cap hit for 2 years. The Oilers will have to sweeten that deal whether a Smid or another valuable, inexpensive player (or pick).

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:22 PM
  #448
Patty Ice
Best in the World
 
Patty Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OxNard
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 10,293
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Actually it does mean negative value because now the Oilers need to either

a) include prospect/pick to dump him to a team that doesn't really want him but would take the salary on due to cap space/want to get to cap floor/etc

b) Oilers need to take salary back that other team needs to dump in order to get him. Namely other teams don't find those players worth the money they get or at the very least think Souray is better for the same money (i.e. downgrade for the Oilers). Also given the situation of the Oilers (being stronger upfront than back end), these trades will be a negative for the Oilers as a team no matter how you slice it if its a forward for D type trade.

The real question now is how big of a - value does Souray have (as in how much will the Oilers need to give up to dump him). Does it reach a point where its no longer realistic to dump him and the Oilers try to work something out with him (i.e. work out a deal for him to go to Europe to play, Russia, AHL, or somehow convince him to return to the Oilers?). Maybe the Oilers will just try to injury him in practice and put him on LTIR for the next 2 years... at least insurance will cover that right?
Maybe I'm just using the literal term for negative trade value. For me, it is like the Malakhov to San Jose. New Jersey gave the Sharks a 1st round pick just to take his cap hit (Devils got two players they didn't need or use though Fahey played a whopping 13 games for them. THAT is negative value.

Yes, the Oilers are likely taking some contracts if Souray is dealt but they could still be useful assets. For example, if they Sharks were to send Murray and such for Souray, they Oilers are still getting value. Granted not true value but definitely not negative value.

__________________
Patty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:23 PM
  #449
the word*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rearranging atoms
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
So what would it take from the Sharks to include Smid?

Edit: as you know well enough now, no team is just going to take Souray as-is w/ that cap hit for 2 years. The Oilers will have to sweeten that deal whether a Smid or another valuable, inexpensive player (or pick).
Let's take if off topic. Forget Souray for a moment. Completely different deal. What's your offer for Smid.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:25 PM
  #450
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 34,986
vCash: 500
I'd probably do Clowe, Murray, Huskins, and a 1st for Souray and Smid. From the Oilers point of view, you're getting two players who will protect their young assets and are easier to move if necessary than Souray, an expiring 1.7 mil contract, and a 1st round pick for a guy who's asked to be dealt, makes a lot, and a quality young d-man.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.