HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sheldon Souray clears waivers

Old
07-02-2010, 12:57 PM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
this is a good way to start the day

SHELDON SOURAY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $2,400,000
2011-2012: $2,400,000
2012-2013: $1,500,000
2013-2014: $1,500,000

oilers have the cap room

Oilers would be better to pick up a contract(then maybe buy that contract out). As an Islanders fan I am sure they would trade Witt for Souray(basically Islanders save 3M)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:57 PM
The Price is Right

ill take him back in montreal for 2.5 mil max

The Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:59 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
A lot of Oiler fans were so defensive when people claimed that Souray had little to no value. Sort of comical how this is playing out.
And those ones are now expressing surprise over it. For the open minded fan, however, it's now clear that he didn't have any - in which case, him being waived is precisely what was wanted. Losing 5.4m in salary (not to mention the other problems that came with him) is a great trade in itself.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 732
Edmonton is definitely planning on signing someone expensive. No way they clear up this much cap space without filling it with someone...

Ovechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
And a lot of Edmonton fans were asking for a 1st round pick.
lol. Rights to Daigle. (Didn't have to be an upcoming 1st round pick.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
So two tweets (from Lebrun and Rishaug, I believe) suggest the Oilers aren't buying out Souray, nor are they interested in putting him on reentry. Are they really planning on sticking him in the AHL for the rest of his contract, or are they hoping he refuses to report so they can suspend him and be off the hook for his contract (or however that works)?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:01 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Nylander for Souray

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:02 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
Edmonton is definitely planning on signing someone expensive. No way they clear up this much cap space without filling it with someone...
Semin, 10 years, 70m.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
So two tweets (from Lebrun and Rishaug, I believe) suggest the Oilers aren't buying out Souray, nor are they interested in putting him on reentry. Are they really planning on sticking him in the AHL for the rest of his contract, or are they hoping he refuses to report so they can suspend him and be off the hook for his contract (or however that works)?
I'm pretty sure tambo knows a few teams wwould claim him on waivers since he won't cost anything but cash rather than any sort of assets.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
We can work something out here in Chicago

We put Campbell on waivers (Oilers pick him up) ,,, Hawks pick up Souray

Both of there NTC are circumvented
Much as I detest Campbell's contract, he is significantly better than Souray, who is variation of Mike Green, just a slight decrease in offense and a slight increase in defense. Not worth the gamble when you factor in his injury frequency. Nonetheless, I am certainly amazed to see him potentially in the minors, which is a nigh forgone conclusion because I doubt any team will absorb that contract.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBoxOffice

I like this move as an oilers fan.....but man if the reputation as a place where stars don't want to go...whats it say to other players and the stereotype when you waive an albertan boy who turned down other offers for edmonton, to turn around and waive his ass?

The optimist says: Bobby Ryan and Marc Staal offer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Much as I detest Campbell's contract, he is significantly better than Souray, who is variation of Mike Green, just a slight decrease in offense and a slight increase in defense. Not worth the gamble when you factor in his injury frequency. Nonetheless, I am certainly amazed to see him potentially in the minors, which is a nigh forgone conclusion because I doubt any team will absorb that contract.
Maybe, but the difference between Souray's offense and Green's isn't that much, but the disparity between their defensive skills is a chasm.

MrBoxOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Holy smokes, didn't see that coming. Wonder if anyone takes him at $5m, or if everyone wants to wait to get him on re-entry...
It's kinda funny, at $5.4 million no fans of any team wants him but at $2.7 he's a hot commodity.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:04 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
I'm pretty sure tambo knows a few teams wwould claim him on waivers since he won't cost anything but cash rather than any sort of assets.
Yeah, it's possible, considering there's slim pickings left on the UFA market for a defenseman like Souray (when he's healthy)..I'm going on the assumption that he doesn't get picked up though, which is entirely possible too.

Old
07-02-2010, 01:05 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Yeah that is not happening ,,, Just like Oiler fans believing that Khabibulin's contract can be voided because of his DUI

Pipedream my friends ,,, Pipedream
I beg to differ. I think they can for both, it's just a question of whether they would, for the reasons you have mentionned (reputation of the team with the rest of the players in the league). If Khabibulin were to be convicted and couldn't cross borders, his breach would be a no brainer IMO. The big problem for the Oilers in his case is that they'd still have his caphit because he was signed after 35, so I highly doubt they'd do that in his case now.

Souray would be a harder nut to demonstrate breach of contract, but not impossible. It's not been tried before, but it was pretty clear the Oilers were darn PO'd with his comments. They took their time in responding, and when they did the comments were very carefully chosen (I think they said his comments were "demonstrably untrue" or some such).

Anyway, I'm watching this with great interest because I think a termination MAY be in mind. I think the Oilers are obviously hoping it doesn't come to that however and he just gets picked up on the way down.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:05 PM
dem

If you threaten to send him to the minors don't you risk having to pay half his salary on reentry.. which they don't want to do?

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:07 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoxOffice View Post
I like this move as an oilers fan.....but man if the reputation as a place where stars don't want to go...whats it say to other players and the stereotype when you waive an albertan boy who turned down other offers for edmonton, to turn around and waive his ass?
Alternatively, how does the team react when said Albertan boy baselessly slags the team in the media and then publicly demands a trade? Two-way street.

Old
07-02-2010, 01:07 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
If you threaten to send him to the minors don't you risk having to pay half his salary on reentry.. which they don't want to do?
If you're putting him in the minors, why would you put him on re-entry waivers?

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:09 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
lol. Sounds like something that might happen in Edmonton. That cannot be good for the optics of your team for free agents.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:09 PM
SpezDispenser

I really like this move. I wish Heatley had only had a NTC so we could have waived his arse as well. I guess that would have meant no Milan Michalek though....so that's doesn't work. But it would have been so fun to see Heatley end up on the Florida Panthers. Enjoy loser!

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:10 PM
MrBoxOffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Alternatively, how does the team react when said Albertan boy baselessly slags the team in the media and then publicly demands a trade? Two-way street.
Totally, either way it is not looking pretty for their reputation, which is generally upsetting.

MrBoxOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oil slick

Quote:

The optimist says: Bobby Ryan and Marc Staal offer sheets

Maybe, but the difference between Souray's offense and Green's isn't that much, but the disparity between their defensive skills is a chasm.
The Oilers are not a desirable team to go to, but come on. A guy throws his coach, training staff, and GM under the bus, and he shouldn't be waived?

Edmonton will never be a hot destination, but the way Edmonton becomes a reasonable place to sign is by winning, not by pampering a guy who publicly called out everyone and demanded a trade.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Only when/if you recall him from the minors and someone claims him.

Old
07-02-2010, 01:11 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
If you're putting him in the minors, why would you put him on re-entry waivers?
Because you dont actually want to pay a guy 5 million to play in the ahl?

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:13 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
NYR fans still think that Rozie is worth anything? Anything at all?
Yes.

Somone that actually stays healthy and plays decent defence?

Absolutely.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:13 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Quote:
Totally, either way it is not looking pretty for their reputation, which is generally upsetting.
It certainly doesn't help matters in that area, no. But the situation being what it is, I also can't blame them for the action they've taken.