HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sheldon Souray Waived, CLEARED

Old
07-02-2010, 12:38 PM
destro909

vCash: 500
Weird, if you took that overall cap hit ($50M) and averaged it by player ($2.17M), then grouped by position you get very similar numbers...

Forwards - $30.4M (14 x 2.17)
Defence - $15.2M (7 x 2.17)
Goal - $4.34M (2 x 2.17)

Is Tambo following a formula here? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
As much as it would help that Sheldon Souray was picked off waivers, this isn't a cap move- its a dressing room move. Obviously more teams would have interest at 3M and then we could trade him for something, but his salary makes him hard to move. Might as well and see if we can dump him for nothing rather than taking salary back (ala Brewer). If he does clear, its a bonus. Still, its not like we have a ridiclous amount of cap space.

Forwards: 30.625M
Hall(3.6*)-Horcoff(5.5)-Hemsky(4.1)
Penner(4.25)-Gagner(3*)-Brule(2*)
Paajarvi(1.5)-Cogliano(1.5*)-Eberle(1.2)
Jones(0.975)-Fraser(0.825)-Stortini(0.7)
Jacques(0.6*)-Omark(0.875)

Defence: 14.94M
Gilbert(4)-Whitney(4)
Smid(1.3)-Foster(1.8)
Vandermeer(2.3)-Chorney(0.94)
Strudwick(0.6*)

Goaltenders: 4.55M
Khabibulin (3.75)
Deslauriers (0.8)

Total: 50.11M

destro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
yup because u know his true market value!
Well I think his true market value is more than FREE!

With that logic we could put Hemsky on waivers and come back with the same answer.

In the world of assets whether it be players, stocks and bonds, cars, land etc, the usual rule of thumb is to try to buy low and sell high, especially when you are in no immediate pressure to sell. The Oilers have a penchant for buying high and selling rock bottom.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:39 PM
SerbianEagle

I am liking Tambo the GM more and more. Its the team that matters and not so much the players.

Speaking of which. I think this is what happens.

Sourays salary is coming off the books one way or another. Kovy signs in LA and Edmonton gets Smyth on the cheap to tutor the kids.

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Tambos 1st really dumb move in this process and a sign that he is in the same vein as Lowe for holding a grudge and letting that grudge affect hockey making decisions. Very poor use of assets if we lose him for nothing and still have to add to the back end. The only way the rational could perhaps be okay is if we go after a big $ free agent and I'm totally against that.
If no one is biting on Souray, what else do you do? You're making the assumption that this is Tambellini's first course of action, when in all likelihood he has exhausted all other options.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Crude
Rafters 94

I fail to see how even attempting to make a run at Kovy if we have ample cap space is going to hurt the team. Forget that he wants to come to a winner blah blah, but if we can offer him between 7-8, which is what he is going to have to take now if he wants to stay in the NHL, than why not. He is only 27 years old, the same as Hemsky, and can you imagine those 2 together? I fail to see how signing him to a 6 or 7 year deal hurts the team in anyway. He's been durable, and consistently puts up 40-50 goals.

I look at all of the line up propositions for this team next season, and are you kidding me, throwing Hall on the first line wing? That's ridiculous. Even if he was the 1st overall, there's no reason he should be, or has shown that he is ready to excel on an NHL first line yet.

If we can get Kovy, do it.

In regards to Souray, get him off the team at whatever cost, Tambo is clearly sending a message.

Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wheatking

Quote:
Tambos 1st really dumb move in this process and a sign that he is in the same vein as Lowe for holding a grudge and letting that grudge affect hockey making decisions. Very poor use of assets if we lose him for nothing and still have to add to the back end. The only way the rational could perhaps be okay is if we go after a big $ free agent and I'm totally against that.
I really don't see how this is bad asset management.

Why make a trade just for the sake of making a trade? It would be almost guaranteed that we'd have the take a bad contract back. So we get rid of Souray and have another player with bad value. How is that good value?

Tambellini is trying to see if he can just erase Souray's contract. If he does it then it's like he's trading Souray for the UFA of his choice.

I don't think he's trying to make an example out of Souray in any way. This is actually a very smart move if it works. If it doesn't then we're right back to where we were yesterday.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
The team added him for nothing, you think it's worse to waive him then to, say, trade him for Wade Redden.

I'm happy with waiving him thanks. You can say what you want about "grudges" but this team wants good character guys, and a guy who accuses the organization of mistreating him, isn't of any kind of decent character.

The Oilers don't want to reconcile, because this isn't a marriage, it's a business, and if you bad mouth your employer, they are going to kick you the **** out the door.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
I would say something similar if they traded for Souray. But they just got him for free, so if they lose him for nothing, not a big deal b/c they dont really lose anything
This is indeed true but we have paid something for him in the way of a large salary. Souray is better than vandemeer, strudwick, foster at the very least in my mind and if he came back next year and avoided injury he would be a tradeable asset then, one year less on the deal and probably better health and performance.

Now if the oilers had come out and decided that they were going to add one or more of their youngsters this year and needed to make room fine that might be different but they have added a bunch of players who are not as good as souray in my mind.

Old
07-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Delta Cubes

Smart room by Tambellini and it takes balls to do that. I agree to the poster that said this is a huge slap in Souray's face and it's a way of Tambellini saying to the team that NOBODY is greater than the team. And I'd rather lose him for free than swapping problem contracts/players.

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:44 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer83 View Post
Not after last year's performance. He was barely able to even do hat well. I will wait to see how he rebounds this year, but I for one have never been a fan and don't believe he is an elite shutdown defender and one who I would pay 3-3.5M to sit on the 3rd line. Hopefully this year, things will turn around.
Horcoff under quinn's 4 line suffle:
54GM 9G 11A 20P -27 .37PPG

Horcoff under renney's line matching at the end of the year:
23GM 4G 12A 16P +2 .7PPG

Interesting!

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
I foresee growing pains. Temper your expectations.

I was just about to post this

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
9GWG9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
If that's what you think then you are really overrating the players on this team.
A fresh attitude and spirit goes a long way. You seem to forget that the only reason we picked first was due to injuries.

9GWG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
This is indeed true but we have paid something for him in the way of a large salary. Souray is better than vandemeer, strudwick, foster at the very least in my mind and if he came back next year and avoided injury he would be a tradeable asset then, one year less on the deal and probably better health and performance.

Now if the oilers had come out and decided that they were going to add one or more of their youngsters this year and needed to make room fine that might be different but they have added a bunch of players who are not as good as souray in my mind.
For the nightmare he created, he's not $3.6M dollars better then foster.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
If no one is biting on Souray, what else do you do? You're making the assumption that this is Tambellini's first course of action, when in all likelihood he has exhausted all other options.
Oh I'm sure that is exactly the case, no one is biting on him. Thus you keep him. He *****ed at management and the med staff long and loud but he has never proven to be a problem in the dressing room by all accounts as was in fact one of the few guys that actually stood up for his teamates.

Old
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
You're assuming Souray has trade value. I thought he would have at least a little bit of but it seems that isn't the case.

And I see no reason we should be forced to take on someone else's bad contract because SOURAY wants a trade. That is just a ridiculous demand. If he wants to go somewhere else he can void his contract and play for half that amount.

AUAIOMRN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Delta Cubes

Quote:

It's not about how good he is. You don't bring back a player into a dressing room when he's bashed management and publicly asked for a trade. It's a young, rebuilding team and you don't want players learning bad habits. Strictly skill wise, I'd take Souray over half our defense. In terms of attitude, he's last on my list.

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wheatking

Quote:
Well I think his true market value is more than FREE!

With that logic we could put Hemsky on waivers and come back with the same answer.

In the world of assets whether it be players, stocks and bonds, cars, land etc, the usual rule of thumb is to try to buy low and sell high, especially when you are in no immediate pressure to sell. The Oilers have a penchant for buying high and selling rock bottom.
Hemsky would get us something of value.

Souray is going to get us another overpaid player because the only trades made these days are contract for contract. There is no way we can win a Souray trade.

How is bringing in a 15 point Dman that will struggle to play 50 games at 4M+(Brewer) for Souray a better option than clearing 5M+ and going on the open market and getting the player of our choice?

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Traktor*

Tambellini screwed up by not moving Souray after his monster season last year. Souray asked for a trade at that time and his value was never going to be higher. Tambellini has to own that.

But fast-forward to today and putting him on waivers isn't bad asset management at all. It was the best move he could make today.

I'm all for grilling management for poor asset management but today's move was a step in the right direction.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Belcriss
Positive steps

Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
Quote:

Souray asked to be traded. He wants no part of playing on the Oilers. Tell me, do you need another cancer in the dressing room? No. More important than Souray, is having players here that want to be here, especially when your rebuilding. Souray is on his way out.

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Scrodo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I really don't see how this is bad asset management.

Why make a trade just for the sake of making a trade? It would be almost guaranteed that we'd have the take a bad contract back. So we get rid of Souray and have another player with bad value. How is that good value?

Tambellini is trying to see if he can just erase Souray's contract. If he does it then it's like he's trading Souray for the UFA of his choice.

I don't think he's trying to make an example out of Souray in any way. This is actually a very smart move if it works. If it doesn't then we're right back to where we were yesterday.

It a lot like a strategic mortgage foreclosure. You bought high, the market went belly up so walking away is better than being stuck with it. Not a bad move in my books.

Scrodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:

The biggest problem for teams now is that they dont have a lot of salary cap room to take a chance on a player who will likely only play maybe half a season. They just cant do it. The Oilers dont need to be contenders right away, so technically tehy dont need to replace Souray. They are rebuilding so they should just get a solid player to play defense and just try to smartly develop players.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
crimson

Shocking at first, but really not so bad. From what it seemed, the only return we would've gotten would've been a bad contract. Now if someone claims him, that's $5.4 million off the books, and we have roster space to plug in with someone WE want - not someone another team pushes on us to take Souray. Sounds like a good deal to me.

I'm liking the machete approach Tambellini is taking. There's no sentiment with holding on to investments we had before. No attachment to signings or prospects that failed. The faster he gets rid of them, the faster this team can move on.

With that said though, if he clears waivers, is there any prospect of Souray returning? As Rishaug says, it's humbling when no other team in the league wants you. I don't see the harm in letting him play to get his value up, and then trading him later.

crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:47 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
This requires repeating.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
If they rid themselves of Khabby I will truly become a believer. As it is, I still believe Steve <3 Khabby. Now and 4ever...
Yep, Khabibulin is going NOWHERE unless he goes to jail but that's another story.
Tambo's love of Khabby is the only problem that i have with him currently, everything else has been positive.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilerdiehard

Well in the Oil Change documentary Lowe said if he had it to do over he would have made Pronger sit out.

I wonder if they plan to do that with Souray if he is not claimed? Maybe even try to force him to go play in OKC and if/when he refuses they could suspend him, no? If it stayed that way then he is off the cap and you do not have to pay him.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote