HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Sheldon Souray Waived, CLEARED

Old
07-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The team added him for nothing, you think it's worse to waive him then to, say, trade him for Wade Redden.

I'm happy with waiving him thanks. You can say what you want about "grudges" but this team wants good character guys, and a guy who accuses the organization of mistreating him, isn't of any kind of decent character.

The Oilers don't want to reconcile, because this isn't a marriage, it's a business, and if you bad mouth your employer, they are going to kick you the **** out the door.
Pure and utter nonsense, we've seen the way this team has been run, hell management fired scouts, fired the training staff, shuffled coaches. By all accounts Souray is a good character guy who saw the division in the dressing room. Even some of the ex players on the panel were talking about him being a good team mate who sticks up for his other players.

Only dumb employers kick a guys ass out the door when a) the guy is right and b) in the long run it is better for the organization to keep the player.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Hemsky would get us something of value.

Souray is going to get us another overpaid player because the only trades made these days are contract for contract. There is no way we can win a Souray trade.

How is bringing in a 15 point Dman that will struggle to play 50 games at 4M+(Brewer) for Souray a better option than clearing 5M+ and going on the open market and getting the player of our choice?
I guess though ... what d-men are even left on the open market?

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Toes

This also means that, when Horcoff's NMC expires, we could also waive him to the minors.

Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pterodactyl
Houston Texans Balla

Quote:
The Team to Souray:

"Sheldon, get the **** out"
No, this requires repeating!

Pterodactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Pure and utter nonsense, we've seen the way this team has been run, hell management fired scouts, fired the training staff, shuffled coaches. By all accounts Souray is a good character guy who saw the division in the dressing room. Even some of the ex players on the panel were talking about him being a good team mate who sticks up for his other players.

Only dumb employers kick a guys ass out the door when a) the guy is right and b) in the long run it is better for the organization to keep the player.
Dude, the guy doesn't to be here. He hasn't wanted to be here for 2 years now. I think it's time to take a hint.

Old
07-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Well in the Oil Change documentary Lowe said if he had it to do over he would have made Pronger sit out.

I wonder if they plan to do that with Souray if he is not claimed? Maybe even try to force him to go play in OKC and if/when he refuses they could suspend him, no? If it stayed that way then he is off the cap and you do not have to pay him.
I am under the impression that Souray refusing to play would void his contract.

And if he is in OKC he doesn't count against the Oilers' cap.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Belcriss
Its summer

Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Well in the Oil Change documentary Lowe said if he had it to do over he would have made Pronger sit out.

I wonder if they plan to do that with Souray if he is not claimed? Maybe even try to force him to go play in OKC and if/when he refuses they could suspend him, no? If it stayed that way then he is off the cap and you do not have to pay him.
It was good to see that they learned. You don't let the superstars/players push you around. They signed a good contract, and they need to finish it. Whether its here, or in the minors. A hard line, yes. I also don't see Souray finishing there either. But, after all the jilts the Oilers have taken over the last several years, its time for a player or two to learn they don't call all the shots either.

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Horcoff under quinn's 4 line suffle:
54GM 9G 11A 20P -27 .37PPG

Horcoff under renney's line matching at the end of the year:
23GM 4G 12A 16P +2 .7PPG

Interesting!
Remember when you told us that Horcoff is as good as Crosby by using arbitrary numbers you made up in a similar fashion. Nobody cares about your stats.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beerfish

Quote:
For the nightmare he created, he's not $3.6M dollars better then foster.
Nightmare? What nightmare. He got pissed off and came out and truthfully stated he was pissed off by management and if what he claimed was true he had every right to be pissed.

I don't think there is a big coincidence that Tambellini has been firing trainers, equipment guys, scouts and moving the head coach out.

Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toes View Post
This also means that, when Horcoff's NMC expires, we could also waive him to the minors.
That's exactly what will happen. That or a buy out at that time (2013).

Old
07-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

If Souray doesn't get claimed what happens?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Dude, the guy doesn't to be here. He hasn't wanted to be here for 2 years now. I think it's time to take a hint.
I really don't care if he doesn't want to be here. He's an asset and he's being paid a nice buck to be here and play. Two years ago the guy was a tremendous player for us.

Chris Pronger didn't want to be here either, we should have held on to him as well until we got a good deal.

Old
07-02-2010, 12:53 PM
nsoilfan

woow....this is crazy but i guess if your going to wave a guy do it now while teams have the money and when other UFA's might be available to replace him. much better than taking on a bad contract.

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
We laugh at him.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hemsky would get us something of value.

Souray is going to get us another overpaid player because the only trades made these days are contract for contract. There is no way we can win a Souray trade.

How is bringing in a 15 point Dman that will struggle to play 50 games at 4M+(Brewer) for Souray a better option than clearing 5M+ and going on the open market and getting the player of our choice?
There are two problems with that:

- who's left in free agency?
- player of our choice doesn't mean anything if we're not the team of their choice (see Malhotra)

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hestolltheshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodo Baggins View Post
It a lot like a strategic mortgage foreclosure. You bought high, the market went belly up so walking away is better than being stuck with it. Not a bad move in my books.
I like this ^^

Good move Tambo, keep the rebuild train moving.

hestolltheshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:54 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
Remember when you told us that Horcoff is as good as Crosby by using arbitrary numbers you made up in a similar fashion. Nobody cares about your stats.
You can probably stop posting about Horcoff as well then.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:54 PM
nsoilfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
send him to the minors

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I really don't care if he doesn't want to be here. He's an asset and he's being paid a nice buck to be here and play. Two years ago the guy was a tremendous player for us.

Chris Pronger didn't want to be here either, we should have held on to him as well until we got a good deal.
I think what you don't understand is he's a negative asset.

Not a positive one.

Guy has played 1 healthy year since the lockout, is 34, coming off a terrible season, and is a 5.4 million cap hit .... for two more years (that's probably the straw that breaks the camel's back).

At some point "well he shoots the puck hard" doesn't outweigh the above. You think Tambellini hasn't tried to trade him? If someone was willing to give us assets for him, why would we go this route instead?

Old
07-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I guess though ... what d-men are even left on the open market?
Someone like Johnsson, Mitchell, Grebeshkov or Sutton would be better than Brewer.

Either way, cap space is more valuable than a bad contract.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Dooman

*If* he's told he has to report to camp for OKC (Which would make my day), is OKC on hook for the whole cap hit?

Dooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:

You won't hear anything good about Souray's character from his Oiler teammates, coaches or management. Trust me. He has been a nightmare to deal with, from Tambellini, to Renney, to his teammates.

He was never forced to play after signing his contract, and every reason he gave for demanding a trade could be easily trounced if the organization wished to lower themselves to his standards and sling the mud back at him.

Management has its fair share of embarrassing failures since '06, but their handling of Souray is most certainly not one of them.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
I am under the impression that Souray refusing to play would void his contract.

And if he is in OKC he doesn't count against the Oilers' cap.
Yeah all of that was what I was exactly what I was getting at. I probably was not very clear with that though. But that is what I was saying more or less. Except I think the Oil would be hoping he would not report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooman View Post
*If* he's told he has to report to camp for OKC (Which would make my day), is OKC on hook for the whole cap hit?
Not sure exactly what you mean. The Oilers pay all player contracts on the farm team.

So the Oilers would have to pay him his money in full. But he would not count against our cap.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CupofOil

Quote:
Well I think his true market value is more than FREE!

With that logic we could put Hemsky on waivers and come back with the same answer.

In the world of assets whether it be players, stocks and bonds, cars, land etc, the usual rule of thumb is to try to buy low and sell high, especially when you are in no immediate pressure to sell. The Oilers have a penchant for buying high and selling rock bottom.
I don't get what you're trying to say, how do you know what Souray's market value is? It's blantantly obvious that Tambo was shopping Souray and instead of stupidly taking a bloated contract back in return (probably a worse contract than Souray's), Tambo decided to absolve the Oilers of Souray completely..... You don't think that it's a good idea to clear $5.4 mil of cap space? What would you have done? Force a malcontented Souray to play out his contract here? Trade for a contract like Redden? I don't see any downside to this move, the bridges have been burned and Tambo is sending a message that if you're not happy here then GTFO by any means possible.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Someone like Johnsson, Mitchell, Grebeshkov or Sutton would be better than Brewer.

Either way, cap space is more valuable than a bad contract.
1 year of Brewer honestly wouldn't be that bad. The above guys would likely want more than 1 year term, though I wouldn't mind Willie Mitchell.