HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sheldon Souray Waived, CLEARED

Old
07-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo13 View Post
If we can lose Souray's contract and somehow manage to sign Willie Mitchell and Trade for Ryan Clowe, I would be happy, and we might be a somewhat competitive team.
The trade for Clowe is slightly out of reach. But I believe that Mitchell will be nominated for the Masterton trophy if he signs here.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
In a really bizarre way this may pave the way for Souray to come back here.

Because I think he's thought all along we haven't tried to trade him, so now Tamby is showing him he literally has no value around the league.

So he's going to have to swallow his pride I think and become a team player here (ie: play some games perhaps and raise his value) or go play in Oklaholma City. And I don't think he wants that obviously.
This could make some sense. This whole thing has seemed strange from the start.

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
he would not report
Whats he going to do then sit out 2 years? The contract does not void doesn't report he just gets suspended? I have a hard time believing the oilers would willingly put him on re-entry.

I guess I could see the oilers working out a Matheui Schneider type situation.

EDIT: Again this is all assuming he doesn't get claimed. There are actually a few teams that need to get above the cap floor and he probably will go to one of them.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
As others have mentioned, this could be a simple case of having a deal in place that brings salary back. The Oilers say "Wait, let's see if someone will take him for nothing". If he clears, they do the deal.

It could still be that whole Brewer situation.
That is what I think as well.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
Nobody's buying anybody out. That would have had to happen last month. Terminate, that's what I think we're talking about (if he doesn't clear).
So what I don't understand is the part about Souray reporting to the AHL. You said previously that the cap hit would not count against the oilers, but that they would still have to pay his salary.

So why is it that we bought out Robert Nilsson? Wouldn't his cap hit just come off the books as well? Is it that management thought he would be a cancer in the AHL locker room?

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Wheatking

Quote:

Because I think he's thought all along we haven't tried to trade him, so now Tamby is showing him he literally has no value around the league.

So he's going to have to swallow his pride I think and become a team player here (ie: play some games perhaps and raise his value) or go play in Oklaholma City. And I don't think he wants that obviously.
I threw that out there yesterday and didn't really get a reaction.

I have no problem with it. Let him play 10-20 games and increase his value. It can't get any lower than it is now. Having him around at training camp may be a bit of a distraction but if it's what's best moving forward then everyone might just have to bite that bullet.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dooman

Quote:

He *cant* come back here. The only way the Oilers can play him now is via re-entry waivers. And they're not going to do that and eat half his cost when another team picks him up. And Souray is certainly valuable at 2.7.

Dooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
If that was the case, wouldn't St. Louis just pluck him from waivers?
Then they wouldn't lose the salary they are trying to trade

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nsoilfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaction View Post
]

I'm pretty sure the buyout period ended on June 30th.
ahh you are correct

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
icechips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I am liking the KHL option

there is a team in siberia
Stockton Thunder

icechips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaction View Post
]

I'm pretty sure the buyout period ended on June 30th.
There is a second buy out period in August.

from Bob Mackenzie's twitter on June 29th, 2010

"The secondary buy out window commences 48 hours after a team's last salary arbitration decision or settlement. Probably late July or August.
4:32 PM Jun 29th via web"

Not saying that Souray will be bought out, but that they still have that option/

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Hairball

Quote:

If anything this makes it harder for him to play here. He would have to come through re-entry waivers to come back, and certainly some other team would claim him then.

Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I threw that out there yesterday and didn't really get a reaction.

I have no problem with it. Let him play 10-20 games and increase his value. It can't get any lower than it is now. Having him around at training camp may be a bit of a distraction but if it's what's best moving forward then everyone might just have to bite that bullet.
I said this too! Maybe it's not a popular option, haha...

Quote:
Shocking at first, but really not so bad. From what it seemed, the only return we would've gotten would've been a bad contract. Now if someone claims him, that's $5.4 million off the books, and we have roster space to plug in with someone WE want - not someone another team pushes on us to take Souray. Sounds like a good deal to me.

I'm liking the machete approach Tambellini is taking. There's no sentiment with holding on to investments we had before. No attachment to signings or prospects that failed. The faster he gets rid of them, the faster this team can move on.

With that said though, if he clears waivers, is there any prospect of Souray returning? As Rishaug says, it's humbling when no other team in the league wants you. I don't see the harm in letting him play to get his value up, and then trading him later.

crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ringo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
The trade for Clowe is slightly out of reach. But I believe that Mitchell will be nominated for the Masterton trophy if he signs here.
I think that SJ may have some interest in moving him if they can shave salary. With all of the dmen Vancouver has signed, I don't think they have room for Mitchell. I would seriously overpay him for 2 years of service.

Both of these guys are team guys and who would make us more difficult to play against. I don't want to bring in young talented players only to have them continually lose.

Ringo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:42 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
You keep saying this and it's still news to me. Do you have a link to the CBA where it says this is possible? Did I miss your response to my previous request?
I have to go out soon, so I don't have time for a full response. I'll get back to you if someone doesn't do it first. However, there are clauses in the Standard Player Contract (SPC) that (I believe) require the player to act in the best interests of the club. I would argue that alleging that the team has improperly made you play through injuries and/or even just publicly requesting a trade is a breach.

In my past research on this (which I'll try to find when I get back), it looked like you need to waive a player before doing anything that would terminate the SPC (which makes sense, because the team's only harm is his ongoing contract. There is no need to punish the player if someone else is willing to pick up his contract for you).

I think this MAY be what the Oilers are up to.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post

"The secondary buy out window commences 48 hours after a team's last salary arbitration decision or settlement. Probably late July or August.

Not saying that Souray will be bought out, but that they still have that option/
Exactly. My point in mentioning Brules name. Unless there is another Oiler that is in arbitration....?

Last edited by Grod: 07-02-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chris314159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
If anything this makes it harder for him to play here. He would have to come through re-entry waivers to come back, and certainly some other team would claim him then.
Perhaps I am confused, but I don't think that is how it works. Being put on waivers, and being assigned to the minors are two different steps. If he clears waivers and they don't assign him to the AHL, nothing happends. He could technically still play for the oilers as he hasn't been reassigned anywhere. right?

Re-entry waivers only applies after they are put on waivers then assigned to the ahl, then recalled. Which I don't see them doing.

I think this is just one last chance to get rid of souray without having to take back a crappy contract. So if he clears I think the brewer trade will go through.

Chris314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fourier

Quote:

BUt for this one needs to waive the player during that period. I do not see anything in the CBA that allows the Oilers to waive Souray right now. I have asked about this on the Business Board. Let's hope kdb or mouser have some insight into what is going on.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Suprising move, but a good one.

I think some of you guys are looking for ulterior motives here when there is nothing. They aren't buying him out, putting him on re-entry waviers, and there is nothing in the CBA that says they can terminate the contract. Souray's contract is just tough to move unless they take a similar bad contract or player with issues.

So they are offering up the contract to the league to see if anyone wants the player at no cost, if everyone passes, they bite the bullet and take a bad contract.

It's pretty simple by the looks of it.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:

It would depend when Souray's NMC expired, if it was July 1 of this year the Oilers wouldn't be allowed to waive him until July 1, which is what they did the next day, July 2nd..

Looking at his buyout numbers, if I was Edmonton I would just bury him in the minors instead if no one wants him. Why do you want him as a cap hit for 4 more years?

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
I have to go out soon, so I don't have time for a full response. I'll get back to you if someone doesn't do it first. However, there are clauses in the Standard Player Contract (SPC) that (I believe) require the player to act in the best interests of the club. I would argue that alleging that the team has improperly made you play through injuries and/or even just publicly requesting a trade is a breach.

In my past research on this (which I'll try to find when I get back), it looked like you need to waive a player before doing anything that would terminate the SPC (which makes sense, because the team's only harm is his ongoing contract. There is no need to punish the player if someone else is willing to pick up his contract for you).

I think this MAY be what the Oilers are up to.
The clauses you are referring to are in section 14 of the SPC, but I doubt they apply. At least not without an arbitration hearing.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Cerebral

Just to clarify: We don't need to demote Souray to the minors once he passes through waivers correct?

metallicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Yeah, they are obviously up to something. Maybe Stauffer will know when he comes on the air in 30 min.
I totally forgot about Oilers Lunch coming up soon. God I love The TEAM.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Correct me if I'm wrong, but just because Souray is on waivers, it doesn't automatically mean he's destined for OKC. If he clears waivers, don't the Oilers have the option of either assigning him to the AHL or keeping him with the big club? See Nylander.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Suprising move, but a good one.

I think some of you guys are looking for ulterior motives here when there is nothing. They aren't buying him out, putting him on re-entry waviers, and there is nothing in the CBA that says they can terminate the contract. Souray's contract is just tough to move unless they take a similar bad contract or player with issues.

So they are offering up the contract to the league to see if anyone wants the player at no cost, if everyone passes, they bite the bullet and take a bad contract.

It's pretty simple by the looks of it.
I don't see them paying Souray 5.4M to play in the minors. At the very least, they put him on re-entry waivers. Plenty of teams would want him at 2.7M.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote