HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Sheldon Souray Waived, CLEARED

Old
07-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Belcriss
Its summer

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Rishaug believes that if no deal comes for Souray, he might be buried b/c he doesn't think Souray is welcome back at all

And Stauffer and Rishaug said that Souray did not get offered more money. The Oilers were the only ones that stepped up

AND Rishaug sources: Souray openly questioned every decision, "why are we practicing at this time; why are we eating here?" etc etc

Basically Rishaug is just raining it down
Any idea where Rishaug is getting his facts?

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:07 PM
the word*

Let him play. Just store him in his box afterwards.

bring out the gimp

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:08 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss View Post
Any idea where Rishaug is getting his facts?
"A very strong source"

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChipProspect View Post
Lots of stuff on Souray. Rishaug saying that Souray openly questioned everything that management did
Yeah. I wonder if Beerfish caught that whole exchange with Rishaug.

They started off saying Souray is a nice enough guy but...

He would complain and it sounds like whine about everything under the sun in front of all the other guys and the young players. He said it caused a certain amount of discontent in the room and set a bad example.

Rishaug said if they decided to have a team meal that Souray would complain about where they were going to eat. If they set a time for a work out Souray would complain about the time of the work out. He said he would openly complain about just about everything down the smallest little things. Which of course must have been a major pain in the backside for the coaching staff, medical staff and others that have set schedules and what not for everything the team and players do day to day.

Rishaug thinks it is likely they will not bring him back. Even if they have to eat his salary in the minors.

This caller that called in complaining about Rishaug and saying Souray had a right to complain about every little thing. It reminds me of some of the posts we have here.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Rishaug believes that if no deal comes for Souray, he might be buried b/c he doesn't think Souray is welcome back at all

And Stauffer and Rishaug said that Souray did not get offered more money. The Oilers were the only ones that stepped up

AND Rishaug sources: Souray openly questioned every decision, "why are we practicing at this time; why are we eating here?" etc etc

Basically Rishaug is just raining it down
Why assassinate a guys character while he's still on your club? All that it does is lessen his trade value. Not Rishaug obviously but whoever leaked this info to him.

BrinkOfGreatness*

Who is this absolute MORON on 1260 calling in. "Sheldon was allowed to say that stuff in the media"

Hang up you TOOL

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
this caller on 1260 is an idiot. lol

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:11 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Why assassinate a guys character while he's still on your club? All that it does is lessen his trade value. Not Rishaug obviously but whoever leaked this info to him.
What trade value LOL?

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Jmask83

Quote:
Who is this absolute MORON on 1260 calling in. "Sheldon was allowed to say that stuff in the media"

Hang up you TOOL
Sometimes you have these guys that just have a terrible opinion. I know that everyone is entitled to speak their mind but that guy is dead wrong.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Teddy Peckman

Quote:
What trade value LOL?
Exactly. Maybe Souray should just retire and do everyone a favor.

Old
07-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Souray himself already blew his trade value all to hell with what he did in the media. It totally screwed management in any sort of trade talks (he is already super hard to trade with that injury history and big contract). His value was blown to bits before this IMO. Which by extension screwed his teammates, since they get a less or maybe no return to help them out on the ice.

Old
07-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Giant Moo

It just doesn't make any sense to me why the organization would actually assign him to the minors. Everything they've been saying so far goes to attack Souray's character, so why would you integrate a player with such a bad attitude on your farm team, where he can influence your prospects?

If they do assign him to OKC, I call BS on management. They can just make him sit at home. It will cost the same whether he gets assigned to the AHL or assigned to his couch, but it has the added benefit of not having to clear re-entry waivers when they eventually can find a way to dump him (like at the trade deadline).

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Teddy Peckman

If the Oilers do bury Souray in the minors for the rest of his contract, do you think anyone would even sign him as a 36 year old injury prone D man that has spent the last two years in the minors?

Old
North Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post

He would complain and it sounds like whine about everything under the sun in front of all the other guys and the young players. He said it caused a certain amount of discontent in the room and set a bad example.

Rishaug said if they decided to have a team meal that Souray would complain about where they were going to eat. If they set a time for a work out Souray would complain about the time of the work out. He said he would openly complain about just about everything down the smallest little things. Which of course must have been a major pain in the backside for the coaching staff, medical staff and others that have set schedules and what not for everything the team and players do day to day.

Rishaug thinks it is likely they will not bring him back. Even if they have to eat his salary in the minors.

This caller that called in complaining about Rishaug and saying Souray had a right to complain about every little thing. It reminds me of some of the posts we have here.
From hearing the exchange on the radio, I don't think Rishaug was singling out Souray about the negative atmosphere in the dressing room.

Rishaug said the "so-called leaders" of the dressing room was setting a bad example to the younger players. So if you read between the lines I would guess Moreau and Staois was part of the cancer too.

North Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
It just doesn't make any sense to me why the organization would actually assign him to the minors. Everything they've been saying so far goes to attack Souray's character, so why would you integrate a player with such a bad attitude on your farm team, where he can influence your prospects?

If they do assign him to OKC, I call BS on management. They can just make him sit at home. It will cost the same whether he gets assigned to the AHL or assigned to his couch, but it has the added benefit of not having to clear re-entry waivers when they eventually can find a way to dump him (like at the trade deadline).
Yeah I do not think they send him to the minors. They likely would pull a Montreal move probably and just pay Souray to go away and sit at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Guy View Post
From hearing the exchange on the radio, I don't think Rishaug was singling out Souray about the negative atmosphere in the dressing room.

Rishaug said the "so-called leaders" of the dressing room was setting a bad example to the younger players. So if you read between the lines I would guess Moreau and Staois was part of the cancer too.
Yeah I would agree with that. That is why I wrote a "certain amount of discontent". He did not say the bad atmosphere was all on Souray by any means. He even made sure, as I put in that post, to say in general Souray was good guy and everything. He just complained openly in front of everyone. Which I think we can agree is not a great example to set and does not contribute to a positive atmosphere.

It was definitely more than just Souray. I have no doubts about that. Not sure if I worded my post poorly and gave an impression otherwise? IMO he was likely only one part of the problem. Maybe even a small part. But apparently he was not part of the solution to changing the atmosphere in the room, at the very least.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 07-05-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old
07-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Giggli G

Quote:
Originally Posted by erixon View Post
If the Oilers do bury Souray in the minors for the rest of his contract, do you think anyone would even sign him as a 36 year old injury prone D man that has spent the last two years in the minors?
Yeah, they pretty much have the power to end his career if they want to.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post

I never caught any of this and this is the first time I've heard anything tangible of this nature.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:25 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

Stauffer also said that two guys who were good positive influences through he whole season were Strudwick and Comrie.

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I never caught any of this and this is the first time I've heard anything tangible of this nature.
Agreed. I have heard little rumblings that seemed more like rumours and some reaching by fans. I did not put much stock in it (besides of course the stuff he did say publicly but that is a different discussion we have covered and have some differing views on). But I trust Rishaug. He would not say something like that on the air if there was not something to it.

Old
07-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
With no trade value at the moment, I would do what Lowe said he should have done with Pronger. Bury Souray in the minors or have him suspended and sit if he doesn't report. There's no reason to baby players anymore.

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:41 PM
NotBad*

i Think management is hoping thats what will happen.

Send him to OKC Sourray says FU. Contract off the books

NotBad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:45 PM
rigger

Quote:
Stauffer also said that two guys who were good positive influences through he whole season were Strudwick and Comrie.
I can tell you that I have a very close source to the team that says exactly this. He also said Shelly was good with the youth but Comrie and Struds were the best and always hung out with them while the Moreau's and Staios's of the world ignored them off ice.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:56 PM
dasivon

I wonder if Rishaug's source is Horcoff. Really, who else could it be? Not Hemsky, Penner, Smid, or any of the newer blood (Whitney, Mcintyre, JDD).

Plus he's praising Comrie, who is in tight with Horcoff.

dasivon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

Who signed Souray? Lowe or T-Lo?

Live Breathe Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Asher

Yeah, those were some telling comments. I'm glad they came out and spelled it out for us, because for the most part fans have nothing to go on besides whispers and innuendo. I'm also glad that Bob shed some light on the Lubo situation - clearly he wasn't adjusting well to life after SoCal and it weighed on Lubo to the point where he had to go. Bob made some mention of this last year, but he was more direct about it today. Thanks, Bob.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote